Thanks

Default Ender's Game

And a Child Shall Lead Them in Space Battle

‘Ender’s Game,’ With Harrison Ford and Asa Butterfield

Richard Foreman/Summit Entertainment
    Hailee Steinfeld and Asa Butterfield in "Ender's Game."

By MANOHLA DARGIS

Published: October 31, 2013

At one point in “Ender’s Game,” the boy brainiac Ender Wiggin stands on a podium waving his arms. A vast, immersive image of outer space is spread out before him, and if you didn’t know better, you might think he was playing Wii on an Imax screen. It’s an amusingly self-reflexive moment in a humorless movie about children who play war games as part of their very grown-up military training. As he furiously moves spaceships and troops across computer screens, he looks, by turns, like a superexcited kid, an orchestra conductor, Mickey Mouse as the Sorcerer’s Apprentice and even a Christ figure. Childhood can be tough in movies, but rarely do screen children suffer for our sins as they do here.

Graphic

Building the Battle Room for ‘Ender’s Game’

Based on the 1985 science-fiction novel by Orson Scott Card, the movie envisions a future world ruled by monolithic militaristic government that trains children to fight large insectlike extraterrestrials called Formics or buggers. When the story opens, Ender (Asa Butterfield) thinks he’s just another runt with a monitor jammed in his neck that allows the authorities, personified by Colonel Graff who, because he’s played by Harrison Ford, should have been called Gruff, and a psychologist, Major Anderson (Viola Davis), to observe each potential warrior’s words, moods and tears. Graff believes that Ender may be the child to lead them all, a sermon he preaches as Ender is tested first on Earth and then in the outer space battle school where the movie gets its game on.

It’s no surprise that Mr. Card’s novel, which he followed with several sequels, has sold a zillion copies. The charismatic leader, the divine child, the possible Christ figure or potential Hitler stand-in (according to one notorious, widely circulated reading): Ender Wiggin is an expediently malleable figure. In the novel, he is also, shades of the Spartans, 6 when he ships off to battle school, which puts a distinctly ugly spin on a scene in the book in which he methodically brutalizes a bully, kicking the other boy repeatedly, including in the face. Ender has logically decided that by crushing the other boy, he will prevent future attacks, a prophylactic philosophy that mirrors the authorities’ attitude toward the buggers. He’s 12 in the movie, which doesn’t make that beating any better.

It’s taken decades for “Ender’s Game” to reach the screen, and it’s hard not to think that it had to wait for the right anxious moment. In the 1950s, adolescent alienation meant Sal Mineo’s Christ figure dying in the embrace of his surrogate parents in “Rebel Without a Cause.” Many years and sad stories later, the kids are still not all right, and while much remains the same, much has changed, including the familiar reality of the child who kills. Like the kids in the “Harry Potter” franchise and in “The Hunger Games,” Ender and his schoolmates do have childish moments. Yet what’s striking about the children in these pop culture behemoths is that, unlike in “Rebel,” they aren’t allowed to pretend to be adults, because the world compels them to assume those roles.

The adults in “Ender’s Game” come off as exceedingly creepy, despite Mr. Ford’s strained avuncularity and Ms. Davis’s flooding eyes. Ender is singled out because he seems to be a natural leader, which in the logic of both the book and the movie means someone who imposes his will on enemy and friend alike. He’s rational and brutal, which is a harder sell on the screen, where every punch carries an unsettling intensity that the director, Gavin Hood, has trouble managing. Mr. Butterfield is one of those young performers whose seriousness feels as if it sprang from deep within. And while he’s an appealing presence, little Ender can’t help feeling like a pint-size psycho.

Mr. Hood, whose script winnows the novel into two hours of mostly action and a fair amount of talk, does better once the story shifts to space. (Ender’s home, where crammed bookshelves line one wall and his mother bustles alone in the kitchen like a 1950s housewife, has a pointless antediluvian quality.) Among the dividends are a barking sergeant, Dap (Nonso Anozie), and a giant geodesic-dome-like room in which trainees practice in zero gravity. It’s pleasant to watch these tiny untethered bodies float like cosmic motes and to follow Ender into an appealingly detailed animated computer game, in which he tumbles down a rabbit hole and discovers a mystery that will presumably only be fully solved in the sequels. His tribulations are likely not over.

“Ender’s Game” is rated PG-13 (Parents strongly cautioned). Genocidal violence and extreme fighting among children.

Ender’s Game

Opens on Friday.

Written and directed by Gavin Hood, based on the book by Orson Scott Card; director of photography, Donald M. McAlpine; edited by Zach Staenberg and Lee Smith; music by Steve Jablonsky; production design by Sean Haworth and Ben Procter; costumes by Christine Bieselin Clark; visual effects supervisor, Matthew E. Butler; produced by Gigi Pritzker, Linda McDonough, Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Robert Chartoff, Lynn Hendee, Mr. Card and Ed Ulbrich; released by Summit Entertainment. Running time: 1 hour 54 minutes.

WITH: Harrison Ford (Colonel Graff), Asa Butterfield (Ender Wiggin), Hailee Steinfeld (Petra Arkanian), Viola Davis (Major Gwen Anderson), Abigail Breslin (Valentine Wiggin), Nonso Anozie (Sergeant Dap) and Ben Kingsley (Mazer Rackham).

Thanks

Default Re: Ender's Game

Was reading something else, and a guy was bitching about Orson Scott Card... being a bigot.... I looked up why he thought so. LMAO!!!! I think I will go see this movie (even if it has Harrison Ford who tends to be a dipshit sometimes)

Orson Scott Card Responds to Ender’s Game Boycott With Ironic Plea for ‘Tolerance’

Screenshot of Skipendersgame.com

In a recent statement to Entertainment Weekly, Orson Scott Card responded to a proposed boycott of the upcoming film adaptation of his novel Ender’s Game by informing the movie-going public that it doesn’t really matter that he’s been working ceaselessly for the last decade to make sure gay people don’t get basic human rights, or that he advocated the violent overthrow of the government should same-sex marriage become legal, or that he’s used his position as a popular author as a platform from which to spew increasingly aggressive anti-equality rhetoric like his comment in a 2004 essay that gays “cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society.”

“The gay marriage issue is moot,” Card reassured readers in his statement to EW, apparently under the impression that the recent Supreme Court decisions regarding the Defense of Marriage Act and Proposition 8 were sufficient to erase the history of legislated bigotry he worked tirelessly to promote and preserve in his fight against equal rights.

Really, Card could have stopped there. Instead, he went on to wonder “whether the victorious proponents of gay marriage will show tolerance toward those who disagreed with them when the issue was still in dispute.” His concern, ostensibly, is that someone might be petty enough not to see his movie simply because he spent years lobbying for laws that treated certain people as less than human. The fallacy he employs here — that calling out hate-speech is intolerance on par with curtailing the human rights of others — is a favorite fallback of cowards and bullies, and a way of evading responsibility for the impact of their words and actions.

Or maybe Card fundamentally misunderstands what “tolerance” means. Tolerance doesn’t mean forking over 10 bucks to see his movie. It doesn’t mean smiling graciously while he calls same-sex marriage itself “an act of intolerance” and equates homosexuality to pedophilia. And it certainly doesn’t mean that he gets to decide when an issue that has never affected him in any substantial way is moot because his flood of bigoted screeds have begun to overshadow his work in the public eye.

No, Card gets exactly what his opponents get: the right to keep saying whatever he wants in his own space. What he doesn’t get is the moral high ground he’s so desperate to claim. He forfeited that long ago, and if his opponents’ tolerance is so vital to him now, perhaps he should have defined his public image by something other than intolerance.

Homepage image: Nihonjoe/Wikipedia

Thanks

You have read the book? I've read the book Ender's game and indeed everything in the Enderverse multiple times. A very enjoyable set of books.

I want to go see this movie. If they do the book justice it will be great.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Negative. Haven't read it.

Thanks

Put it on your list. It's a good book.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

I will (already did. If you recommend a book, I generally try to read it or look it up at least and put it on a reading list.)

Thanks

I saw this movie yesterday.

I enjoyed it very much. I am uncertain how someone who has not read the books will take the movie. The movie was very true to the book with a few exceptions.

I guess the biggest one that is actually a potential plot changer was the final battle. In the book there was a very specific reason why Ender did what he did. In the movie the reasoning is far different. The results are the same though. The problem is that Ender's game has a lot of internal dialog that cannot be represented in a movie. If someone has both read the book and seen the movie, they would understand. Suffice it to say the reason in the book is a symptom of a larger conflict within Ender that resonates through the rest of the books. While they touched on this, they didn't really explain it well enough in the movie, in my opinion.

Another big issue is Bean. Bean was too big! heh. Also, the real unsung hero is Bean but you wouldn't know it until you're into the Bean books.

I doubt there will be another Ender's movie as the rest of the books are not action books. I don't know how you'd carry a big enough audience.

It took first this weekend with 28 mill at the box office, but I'm not sure how much holding power it might have. The book has been out nearly 30 years, so there is a ton of pent up demand for this movie and these people(like me) probably made a point to see the movie. I saw the movie on a Sunday afternoon, in Imax(awesome by the way), and there were maybe 30 people in the theater.

It's definitely a good movie but I can see where people that like shiny things and need explosions every 20 seconds wouldn't like it. Oh and there's no shakey cam at all.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Thanks for the review!

I'll probably go see it - We were going to go see Captain Phillips. I think Hanks is a good actor, but I don't like his politics. And there's a lot of rumors about the "real captain phillips" and the movie wasn't even close etc. /shrug.

I go for the entertainment value to movies though

Thread Information