Thread: Robert Gates

Thanks

Default Robert Gates

Former Defense Secretary Robert Gates slams Obama's leadership style in new book

FoxNews.com

FILE: June 30, 2011: Then Defense Secretary Robert Gates with President Obama at the Pentagon, near Washington, D.C.REUTERS

WASHINGTON – Former Defense Secretary Robert Gates, in his upcoming memoir, has harsh words for President Obama’s leadership style and commitment to the Afghanistan war, accusing the president of losing faith in his own strategy.

“For him, it’s all about getting out,” he wrote.

The tone of Gates’ book is a break from Washington decorum, in which former Cabinet members rarely level tough judgments against sitting presidents.

Gates writes that by early 2010 he had concluded the president “doesn’t believe in his own strategy, and doesn’t consider the war to be his.”

The book, “Duty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War,” is scheduled for a Jan. 14 release by the Knopf DoubleDay Publishing Group. Excerpts, confirmed by Fox News, were first reported by The Washington Post and New York Times.

The 70-year-old Gates writes that Obama appeared to doubt his own strategy in Afghanistan to the point of being “outright convinced it would fail.”

Obama deployed 30,000 more troops to stabilize Afghanistan before starting to remove soldiers in mid-2011, after months of tense discussion with Gates and other top advisers.

Gates said he never doubted Obama’s support for the troops, “only his support for their mission.”

In an essay Tuesday in the Wall Street Journal apparently to promote the book, Gates also writes that Obama’s “fundamental problem in Afghanistan was that his political and philosophical preferences for winding down the U.S. role conflicted with his own pro-war public rhetoric … the nearly unanimous recommendations of his senior civilian and military advisers at the departments of State and Defense, and the realities on the ground.”

Gates, a carryover from the Bush administration who worked for every president since Nixon, except Clinton, said that underneath his notoriously calm exterior he was frequently “seething” because he felt Obama and his team had neither trust nor confidence in him.

Despite his criticism of Obama, Gates writes about the commander in chief’s primary Afghanistan polices: “I believe Obama was right in each of these decisions.”

And he writes approvingly about Obama in several other passages, calling him “a man of personal integrity.”

He admits to having “a few issues” with George W. Bush and essentially wrote approvingly of then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, whom he described as being "smart, idealistic but pragmatic, tough-minded, indefatigable, funny, a very valuable colleague, and a superb representative of the United States all over the world.”

However, Gates, who also worked at the CIA and National Security Council, is largely critical of Vice President Joe Biden, accusing him of “poisoning the well” for military leadership.

At the White House, National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said in response to the book, “The president welcomes differences of view among his national security team, which broaden his options and enhance our policies.

“The president disagrees with Secretary Gates’ assessment -- from his leadership on the Balkans in the Senate, to his efforts to end the war in Iraq, Joe Biden has been one of the leading statesmen of his time, and has helped advance America’s leadership in the world.”

Thanks

Default Re: Robert Gates

Former U.S. Defense Secretary Gates blasts Obama in memoir

1 hour ago in National

BLASTED IN BOOK: U.S. President Barack Obama presents retiring U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates with the Presidential Medal of Freedom during his farewell ceremony at the Pentagon near Washington, June 30, 2011. Gates takes aim at the Obama administration in his new memoir. Photo: Reuters/Jason Reed

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. President Barack Obama lacked belief in his administration’s policy toward the war in Afghanistan and was skeptical it would even succeed, his former defense secretary, Robert Gates, writes in a memoir to be published next week.

Gates, who served as Pentagon chief from 2006 to 2011 under Obama and his Republican predecessor, George W. Bush, is critical of Obama’s leadership on several defense-related issues, especially Afghanistan, according to a review of “Duty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War” in the Washington Post on Tuesday.

According to the Post, Gates wrote that he concluded by early 2010 that Obama, who had ordered his own troop “surge” in Afghanistan like Bush’s in the Iraq war, “doesn’t believe in his own strategy, and doesn’t consider the war to be his. For him, it’s all about getting out.”

Gates adds that Obama was “skeptical if not outright convinced it (the administration strategy) would fail,” according to the Post.

“I never doubted Obama’s support for the troops, only his support for their mission,” Gates writes.

Reacting to the comments reported in Gates’ book, the White House National Security Council said, “Deliberations over our policy on Afghanistan have been widely reported on over the years, and it is well known that the president has been committed to achieving the mission of disrupting, dismantling and defeating al Qaeda, while also ensuring that we have a clear plan for winding down the war, which will end this year.”

Obama “deeply appreciates” Gates’ service as defense secretary, NSC spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said in a statement, and “welcomes differences of view among his national security team, which broaden his options and enhance our policies.”

After Obama was elected in 2008 to succeed Bush, Gates agreed to the new president’s request that he remain as defense secretary, becoming the first Pentagon chief to serve presidents of different parties.

Gates describes Obama as “a man of personal integrity” and says later in his memoir that “Obama was right” in his decisions regarding Afghanistan.

But Obama was uncomfortable with the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan he inherited from the Bush administration and distrustful of the military that was providing him options, Gates writes.

According to the Post’s account of the book, the different world views of Obama and Gates “produced a rift, that at least for Gates, became personally wounding and impossible to repair.”

The Post said Gates acknowledges in his book that he did not confront Obama over the president’s determination that the White House control all aspects of national security policy.

“His White House was by far the most centralized and controlling in national security of any I had seen since Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger ruled the roost,” Gates writes.

‘POISONING THE WELL’
    His book also criticizes top Obama aides, including Vice President Joe Biden, who he says was “poisoning the well” against the U.S. military leadership.

The former defense secretary, who also headed the CIA under former President George H.W. Bush, calls Biden a “man of integrity,” according to the New York Times’ account of the book, but “I think he has been wrong on nearly every major foreign policy and national security issue over the past four decades.”

The NSC’s Hayden said Obama disagreed with that assessment and that “from his leadership on the Balkans in the Senate to his efforts to end the war in Iraq, Joe Biden has been one of the leading statesmen of his time, and has helped advance America’s leadership in the world.”

The Post said Gates writes that confidence and trust were lacking in his dealings with Obama and his team.

Describing “a couple of important White House breaches of faith,” Gates said Obama informed him on one day’s notice he would announce the repeal of the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy that barred gays from serving openly in the military.

Gates supported repeal but writes he was “blindsided” by the move, which had been under discussion for months.

He writes that he was also “extremely angry” with Obama in a debate over defense spending. “I felt he had breached faith with me … on the budget numbers.”

“Why did I feel I was constantly at war with everybody, as I have detailed in these pages?” he asks in the memoir, which also criticizes Congress. “Why was I so often angry? Why did I so dislike being back in government and in Washington?”

“The broad dysfunction in Washington wore me down, especially as I tried to maintain a public posture of nonpartisan calm, reason and conciliation,” Gates writes.

“I did not enjoy being secretary of defense,” Gates notes in his memoir, emailing a friend, according to the Post, that “people have no idea how much I detest this job.”

Thread Information