Thread: Disney Not Moving Forward With 'Tron 3'

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs down Disney Not Moving Forward With 'Tron 3'

Boooo!

I really enjoyed Tron: Legacy. So much in fact, I put it on every so often when there's nothing else to watch. It is quite a visually stunning movie with a great soundtrack and pretty good plot. It's even more amazing looking watching it on a new Samsung 4k TV that upconverts content.

A real shame we won't be seeing Tron 3.

Disney Not Moving Forward With 'Tron 3'

May 31, 2015

"Tron 3" won't be coming to a theater near you.

Disney has chosen not to move forward with a third installment in the sci-fi series, sources say. While sources say the project was never officially approved, earlier this year it seemed as if things were moving ahead with "Tron:Legacy" director Joseph Kosinski returning and stars Olivia Wilde and Garrett Hedlund reprising their roles.

Prep had started on the third film, and production was looking to shoot this fall, likely in Vancouver, British Columbia. Disney had been interested in adding Jared Leto to the cast, but an offer and negotiations never commenced.

Disney began developing a sequel to "Tron:Legacy" after the movie, made for $170 million, grossed $400 million worldwide. "Legacy" was the sequel to the 1982 sci-fi film that took place inside a computer world known as the grid and starred Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner. The film drew a big cult following and became a notable influence on filmmakers and pop culture.

Decades later, Disney revisited the world with "Legacy." The story revealed that the computer-programmer character played by Bridges had a son (Hedlund) who jumped into the grid to find his father. Wilde was Quorra, an algorithm-made-flesh who also happened to kick butt.

Disney has had strong success with its live-action properties recently, including "Maleficent" and this year's "Cinderella," which earned $527.4 million worldwide. But it recently had a stumble with the $180 million live-action film "Tomorrowland," which underperformed at the box office this past weekend with a $33 million U.S. debut.

Disney's live-action tentpole calendar is pretty full for the next few years, with live-action versions of many of its animated classics in the works including "The Jungle Book," "Alice: Through the Looking Glass" and "Beauty and the Beast."

Thanks

Default Re: Disney Not Moving Forward With 'Tron 3'

I was underwhelmed at Tron Legacy. There was something of the innocent charm of the first film that was missing. This is not to say I wouldn't have watched, and probably enjoyed Tron 3, I'm just not all that bothered by it.

Tomorrowland looked like a good movie to take the kids to and looks interesting to anyone who's ever been to Disney. Shrug, no idea why it didn't do well. I think the trailers were poorly cut. They didn't convey a message, just some visuals. After watching the trailers a few times, all I can tell you is: George Clooney, Disney, Tomorrowland, girl, bad guys chasing girl. Or something along those lines. It didn't give any idea about what the story was.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
    I was underwhelmed at Tron Legacy. There was something of the innocent charm of the first film that was missing. This is not to say I wouldn't have watched, and probably enjoyed Tron 3, I'm just not all that bothered by it.
    Yeah, I could see that and I've seen others say similar things. I even agree with you considering the level it took the viewer to considering the state of technology when it was released, if that's the way to put it.

That said, I think T:L was just an absolute visual treat. I'm hard pressed to think of any other movies with such awesome sci-fi visuals going on except maybe Jupiter Ascending but the plot on that was so lackluster I'll probably be very hard pressed to watch it too many more times, even with Mila Kunis in it.

Thanks

Hmm, I guess I'll have to look at T:L again. I don't recall it being all that stunning, sorta dark and lots of glowy shit. heh.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Eh, maybe it's just me but I really liked that look.

That and Olivia Wilde in leather. If that alone isn't visually stunning, I'm not sure what is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruck View Post
    That and Olivia Wilde in leather. If that alone isn't visually stunning, I'm not sure what is.
    Eh, she's ok. She needs to put on a few pounds. She's got a bit of a block head.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thread Information