Thread: The Expanse

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default The Expanse

Just got done watching the first 4 episodes of SyFy's new series, The Expanse.

I'll be watching the rest for sure!

Production value is very good. SyFy definitely put money into this show which is nice to see. They actually can make a good product when they try! There's a lot of familiar faces from other TV shows and movies you'll spot but even more new ones.

Fans of BSG will see a lot of cues from that show sprinkled throughout the visual and sound effects. There's even one actor I think bears a bit of resemblance to Chief Tyrol. Not sure if it was coincidental or intentional.

It does differ from BSG as the tech is more primitive and the physics are more realism based (no inertial dampers, no FTL, etc.). They also curse on here.

I haven't done any looking to see production staff overlap but it would be interesting to compare with BSG.

Story starts off as a bit of a slow burn but does start to pick up by ep 4. I won't give any details on it so there won't be any spoilers.

Give it a watch and you might like it too especially considering how there aren't really any many other SciFi shows actually taking place in outer space on the air these days I can think of except for Dark Matter (which isn't bad) and Killjoys (haven't watched it, plot didn't really grab me).

That said, even though this is a good show, I would have MUCH rather have seen SyFy pick up Blood and Chrome, giving it the same production value as this, to give us some backstory to the Cylon War. I guess we take what we can get for space SciFi...

Thanks

Default Re: The Expanse

We have that one the DVR, I just figured it was going to end up being a POS. "Game of Thrones in space" my ass.

I intend to watch it, I just didn't get around to it yet.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, I read the same article too.

Not sure where they got that from. Didn't really remind me of GoT at all.

Thanks

I just finished episode 3. Ep 4 is on the DVR and I'll watch it tomorrow.

I like it. It's gritty and not hokey. The acting is pretty good...I'm sorta annoyed at the accents as they can be hard to understand. The Ceres dock workers have one lingo, the Indian woman on Earth is another and the belters are yet another. I suppose it adds to authenticity, but I could use subs.

The plot is unfolding nicely, I hope they don't jump the shark...this could turn into a decent series.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thread Information