Thread: 52% of Republicans Want a Third Party

Thanks

Default 52% of Republicans Want a Third Party

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...d-party/37509/

52% of Republicans Want a Third Party

By Elspeth Reeve May 09, 2011

Fifty-two percent of Republicans want a major third party to compete with Democrats and the GOP, according to a Gallup poll released Monday. An even larger percentage of Tea Partiers, 60 percent, want a new party. The portion of Americans who want a third party has been at or above 50 percent since mid-2006, but this is the first time a majority of Republicans have felt that way since Gallup began asking the question in 2003. This is news Donald Trump can seize on--he's flirted with running as an independent once he's done flirting with running as a Republican in 2012.

Given that number and the number of Americans who think the country is on the wrong track, Gallup's Jeffrey Jones writes that "it would not be surprising if a third-party [presidential] candidate emerged." But that candidate would surely fail, since American elections are decided by
    plurality rule. Nevertheless, that hypothetical candidate could still be a major factor in the race, as is happening in the special election to replace former New York Rep. Chris Lee. A Tea Party candidate--and voters' disapproval of Republicans' plans to tinker with Medicare--has turned the election into a toss-up, The Hill's Michael O'Brien notes. In 1992, Ross Perot's candidacy helped Bill Clinton defeat incumbent George H.W. Bush. Obama must be hoping for a Trump candidacy more than ever.

Thanks

Default Re: 52% of Republicans Want a Third Party

Honestly, I'd prefer to fire anyone without conservative values, and put someone else in. Keep the Republican Party, but get rid of the losers.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

With a majority like that the GOP can be reshaped and reformed thus, no need for a third party which would only serve to give Obama another term.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ryan ruck View Post
    with a majority like that the gop can be reshaped and reformed thus, no need for a third party which would only serve to give obama another term.
    precisely......
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

The problem is real conservatives are in such few power positions within the GOP leadership and power base. The RINOs own it lock and stock and promote up their own.

Conversely, to split off and start a third party just hands over at least the next two election cycles to the Dems until that new party can really market itself and gain a broader base.
    Last edited by Toad; May 12th, 2011 at 13:13.

Thanks

I don't consider myself a Republican.

I end up voting for Republicans because I have little other choice.

I want small government conservatives in power. I want to scale back the government interference in all aspects of our lives. I will vote for Lower taxes, fewer rules and regs, no social nannying every time a candidate like that comes up.

The GOP is loaded with big tent, big spend rinos. There's very few conservatives.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

You can count me in that 52% or the 60%.

And I agree with you folks: the GOP is filled with RINOs, and they won't let go, or let a true Conservative prosper.

If the GOP doesn't endorse a true Conservative in 2012, I'm finished with them.

I've been one to believe that voting third party guarantees the Dems the office. My research after 2008 showed that wasn't the case. Might not have the same results in 2012, but still...

If the Dems remain in power, about the only thing I see is a faster demise. Basically, we'll get butt-raped every day with the Dems, or once a week with the GOP.

Might as well get it over with.

I'm at the point in life where I believe a third party - a true Conservative party - needs to be formed.

Will any of that happen?

Doubtful, very doubtful.

This country is on a slow roll.

Thanks

I'm going to do something I rarely like to do, make a prediction.

This election cycle is going to make or break the GOP - as well as the democrats.

Either the RINOS leave on their own accord, or there WILL be a new, third party that becomes dominated by conservatives from BOTH sides of the aisle as well as Independents who take up the side of conservatives. Or the GOP becomes truly conservative. It has to go one way or the other.

The main Liberals running the LEft are finding themselves more and more overrulled by the the Tea Party anyway. I suspect they will become the new party.

If neither of those two things happen - I predict the demise of the USA with in a decade or less as we know it now.
    Libertatem Prius!

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    If neither of those two things happen - I predict the demise of the USA with in a decade or less as we know it now.
    That's my prediction.

Wouldn't even surprise me to see Barry O. and Co. get re-elected.

And I'll say it again: we'll get EMPed sometime during those 10 years.

I can see Putin smiling now, just waiting.

Thread Information