Thread: The ethics of Eric Holder

Repeatedly Redundant...Again
    Thanks

Default The ethics of Eric Holder

The ethics of Eric Holder.

He has none.

Here's what your Attorney General has been up to these last few years.

Please go to the original article and follow all the links.

Sorry - there are just too many for me to bring here.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/...ic_holder.html

December 4, 2011

The Ethics of Eric Holder
    By Ronald Kolb

When Attorney General Eric Holder recently testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee about his role in the Fast and Furious operation, where 2,000 rifles were deliberately "walked" from the United States into Mexico, his answers at times seemed incredible and stretched the limits of believability.

A few months earlier, on May the third, Holder had testified before the House that he had only recently learned of the deadly and disastrous operation.

But a series of memos was uncovered by CBS News last October showing that during 2010, Holder had received at least five different notices concerning Fast and Furious from Michael Walther, the director of the National Drug Intelligence Center. He also received another memo from Assistant Attorney General (and long-time associate) Lanny Breuer.

But at the recent hearing, Holder stated three times that he had learned of Fast and Furious only earlier this year, after the murder of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry in Arizona. Five times Holder testified that he never saw any of the damning memos.

Senator John Cornyn from Texas queried Holder. "Those are memos with your name on it, addressed to you, referring to the Fast and Furious operation. Are you just saying you didn't read them?"

"I didn't receive them," answered Holder. "They are reviewed by my staff and a determination made as to what ought to be brought to my attention."

Cornyn then asked Holder if he had apologized to Brian Terry's family. The exchange that followed showed a coldness and lack of sensitivity that was truly stunning.

Holder: I have not apologized to them, but I certainly regret what happened.

Cornyn: Have you even talked to them?

Holder: I have not.

But Holder continued. "It is not fair, however, to assume that the mistakes that led to Fast and Furious directly led to the death of Agent Terry."

The day following the hearings, the Terry family responded to Holder with a terse and angry statement. "Mr. Holder needs to own Fast and Furious ... the Attorney General should accept responsibility immediately. It is without question, the right thing to do."

That very same day, in an apparent attempt at damage control, Holder responded with a letter addressed to Terry's parents which he immediately leaked to the press before both parents had the opportunity to read it.

None of these events should be surprising considering Mr. Holder's controversial history.

The two events that Eric Holder is most defined by before becoming attorney general were his key roles while in the Clinton administration in obtaining freedom for members of the Puerto Rican nationalist terrorist group known as the FALN (also known as the Armed Forces of National Liberation). Holder would later follow that by facilitating a pardon for fugitive billionaire Marc Rich.

In looking back at both of those controversies, the similarities to Fast and Furious now seem eerie. Holder had proclaimed sympathy for the FALN victims, but only after the terrorists had been released. He also proclaimed ignorance of both Mr. Rich and the case against him, even though the facts clearly suggest otherwise.

The FALN had conducted a deadly bombing campaign in numerous cities around America during the 1970s and '80s, setting off nearly 140 bombs that killed six and injured more than 80. Their most notorious act was the bombing of Fraunces Tavern in lower Manhattan in 1975, which killed four and injured 60 others, some of them seriously.

What slowed the FALN's reign of terror was the arrest and incarceration of nearly all of the group's members during the early eighties. When Eric Holder arrived as deputy attorney general in Janet Reno's Justice Department in 1997, he quickly took up the cause of freeing the FALN, and it became a near-obsession.

Holder met with advocates for the FALN's clemency at least nine times over the next two years, but he deliberately kept the victims of the deadly and unrepentant terrorist group out of the process. He also never spoke with any prosecutors or law enforcement who had been involved with the FALN's capture and prosecution.

In December of 1996, in the months before Holder's arrival, then-pardon attorney Margaret Love had issued a report recommending against clemency for the FALN and their closely allied group, the Macheteros (machete-wielders). The latter group was primarily based in Puerto Rico and had killed six there in a number of armed attacks.

Mr. Holder was sworn in as deputy attorney general on Friday, July 18, 1997. In Holder's first full working day the following Monday, pardon attorney staffer Susan Kuzma -- who had previously served in the Public Integrity office with Holder during the 1980s -- sent Love a memo questioning her 1996 report that had rejected clemency.

By November, Holder had fired Love and replaced her with Roger Adams, who was then a member of Holder's staff. That same month, Holder and Adams began meeting with advocates of clemency for the terrorist group.

Years later, in 2009 (and just prior to Mr. Holder's confirmation hearings before the Senate), the Los Angeles Times uncovered the fact that Holder ordered Adams to rewrite the Love report and change it to a recommendation favoring clemency.

Adams still had misgivings, so he sent a report to Holder that the terrorists should still be denied clemency. Undeterred, Holder ordered Adams to revise it. On August 31, 1998, Adams finally sent Holder the revised report, but he warned Holder's chief of staff, Kevin Ohlson, in a separate memo that if the report became public, it "would be disastrous."

In the report that Adams sent to Holder, he wrote that "I continue to have concerns," including about the fact that the victims had not been notified and that clemency could also undermine investigations and prosecutions of co-conspirators among the two allied terrorist groups.

Holder quickly came up with the idea of an "options memo," to be prepared and sent to Bill Clinton, that contained no specific recommendations. Acting on Ohlson's orders, Adams complied.

But Holder's efforts still languished until early 1999, when Hillary Clinton announced that she was running for an open Senate seat in New York.

Between March and July of 1999, White House staff with ties to Mrs. Clinton began frequent meetings with FALN advocates, and soon White House Counsel Charles Ruff became involved. In July, Mr. Holder was turned to for an assist, and the Holder/Adams "options memo" went to Ruff on the 8th.

And in a move that would remain hidden until 2009, Holder had sent Mr. Clinton his own personal recommendation for clemency. That memo was acknowledged by Holder, but Mr. Clinton (and now President Obama) refused to make it public.

Ruff also sent his own report to Clinton in early August, but the final catalyst occurred on August 9. According to the New Republic, Mrs. Clinton met with a handful of FALN supporters, including then-New York City councilman Jose Rivera, who gave Hillary a packet concerning clemency for the FALN, along with a letter asking her to "speak with her husband about granting executive clemency."

On the morning of August 11, 1999, Mr. Clinton announced the offer of clemency to twelve members of the FALN along with four Macheteros, and the news stunned both the victims of the FALN and many members of law enforcement.

To make the offer more palatable to the public, Eric Holder had concocted a plan to have the terrorists express remorse for their actions. But none of them would accept, and the situation went from bad to worse. As the days passed and criticism continued, pressure from the Clinton administration intensified for the terrorists to accept the offer.

Finally, on September 7 -- a full four weeks after the offer had first been made -- all but one member each from the FALN and the Macheteros decided to accept. Three days later, eleven FALN members were freed from numerous federal prisons around the country. Within days, both the House and Senate voted overwhelmingly to condemn the action.

Congressional hearings were called to investigate the events surrounding the pardons. On September 16, Clinton issued a blanket order of executive privilege in an attempt to fend them off.

On October 20, 1999, Holder appeared before the Senate Judiciary Committee. In both Holder's opening oral and written statements, he stated that "I wish to begin by extending my heartfelt sympathy to those victims and their families whose lives were tragically affected by the criminal conduct of the FALN."

Holder continued by saying that "[i]t is difficult to fully comprehend the extent of the pain and suffering these victims were forced to endure. ... I want the victims of FALN violence to know that our thoughts and prayers remain with them now and in the future."

However, Holder was forced to deal again with the victims during his testimony. Four different senators asked Holder why none of them had been contacted before clemency was offered.

The first exchange was with Senator Orrin Hatch from Utah.

Holder: Well, I think that generally we do a good job in getting victim input, notifying victims when pardons and clemency decisions are being made. I think we could have done a better job here. I think we could do a better job generally.

Hatch: You didn't do anything here. You didn't do anything here, according to the records I have.

Holder: Well, we...

Hatch: You didn't talk to the victims.

Holder was asked the same question by Senators Grassley (Iowa), Kyl (Arizona), and Ashcroft (Missouri) and gave the same response. What none of them knew at the time was that Holder had deliberately avoided contacting the victims and had met repeatedly with FALN advocates in his personal obsession to free them.

Whenever questions focused on his own role, Holder would either refer to executive privilege -- which he did 40 times -- or shift the blame for the clemency offer to Mr. Clinton -- which he did 15 times.

The most egregious and bizarre claims of executive privilege came in exchanges with Senator -- and Judiciary Chairman -- Orrin Hatch. The 1996 report from Margaret Love that had recommended against clemency was accidentally released to the committee, and Hatch asked Holder to comment on it.

Holder: The letter should not have been produced. It seems to me that the information contained in the letter is clearly within the bounds of executive privilege.

Hatch: Seriously?

Holder: Excuse me?

Hatch: Seriously, you can't really believe that.

Holder: Oh, absolutely.

Hatch: Well, we have a copy of the letter. And you are aware that she recommended against clemency.

Holder: I really would not comment on what recommendations were made by the pardon attorney. As I said, I think that falls well within the bounds of executive privilege.

Later, Hatch asked Holder about the 1999 report that he and Roger Adams prepared that effectively replaced the 1996 Love report that recommended against clemency.

Hatch: Did the second report contain a recommendation of whether the president should or should not grant clemency?

Holder: Mr. Chairman, with respect to those questions, it seems to me the answers to those questions are prohibited by the assertation of privilege of the...

Hatch: How? Tell me. I mean, where in the law do you find that?

The befuddled senator never received an answer.

Hatch also asked if there had been any attempt to obtain information from those offered clemency concerning some of their co-conspirators who remained at large.

FALN bomb-maker William Morales was -- and still is -- hiding in Cuba. Macheteros Victor Gerena and Filiberto Ojeda-Rios were on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted list (Gerena has now been on that list for a record 27 years, and Rios was killed in an FBI shootout in 2005).

Holder replied that "to my knowledge[,] those requests were not placed."

Hatch: You're a former prosecutor. I mean, don't you want to get to the bottom of these things?

Holder: Sure.

Hatch: Well, then, why weren't those questions asked?

Holder: Because it seems to me you're talking about a group of people who did not recognize the right of the government to even--

Hatch: What's that got to do with it?

Holder tried to shift the blame to Clinton. "Well, as I said, the power of the president is absolute in these areas...again, it is for the president to decide."

Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama then quoted from a report from Janet Reno's office written the previous month that was leaked just prior to Holder's testimony. It mentioned the threat of increased violence from the "impending release from prison" of members of Puerto Rican terrorist groups.

Holder answered that "I think that given the terms under which these folks were released, which is where they had to indicate that they renounced violence, makes the report language you cited, it seems to me, a little inapplicable."

On October 21, at a bizarre press conference the day following the hearing, Holder dug himself in deeper. "What I was trying to tell the Committee yesterday was that the Attorney General's report clearly did not refer to these people [the FALN], given the fact that they have, as a condition of release, renounced violence."

One day later, Jack Quinn -- the influential former White House counsel for Bill Clinton as well as the former chief of staff for Al Gore -- met with Deputy Attorney General Holder. Quinn was now the legal representative for fugitive billionaire Marc Rich.

A look back at Holder's actions during the Rich pardon gives an even fuller insight into the dubious and corrupt political opportunist that he was then and still is today.

In September of 1983, commodities trader and financier Marc Rich and his business partner Pincus Green were the targets of a 51-count indictment that included charges of evading $48 million in taxes, trading oil with Iran while Iran was under a U.S. embargo, and additional charges of racketeering and fraud. It was the largest tax fraud case in U.S. history.

At the time of the indictment, Rich and Green had already fled to Switzerland and were living in luxury. Extra charges were added in March of 1984, making it a 65-count indictment.

By 1999, when Rich's attorney, Jack Quinn, approached Eric Holder for help, Mr. Rich was listed on the Interagency International Fugitive List as WANTED by the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation, the U.S. Customs Service, and the U.S. Marshal Service.

Rich was also listed on the Justice Department's website as an international fugitive. The posting further noted that the U.S. "will pay a reward for information that leads to the arrest of Marc David Rich." Rich was also posted on Interpol's "Red Alert" list.

Quinn first tried to use a more than willing Holder to obtain a deal from prosecutors for his client, but when that scheme failed in early 2000, Quinn would return to Holder later that same year for help -- this time in attempting to obtain a pardon. Quinn would later state -- and Holder eventually admit -- that he had dangled the attorney general post before Holder in a potential Gore administration.

Holder would claim over the coming years that he was not familiar with who Marc Rich was -- and then gain only a passing familiarity with his case -- even after discussing Rich's case with Quinn at least nine times between October 1999 and January 2001.

In 1976, Holder had first arrived in Washington as a member of the newly formed Public Integrity Section at the Department of Justice. He departed that office in 1988.

Between October 18, 1982 and July 10, 1984, the Washington Post ran five front-page stories focusing on Marc Rich. One of three stories from 1983 focused on the infamous "steamer trunk affair" from that August, where Rich had unsuccessfully attempted to transport subpoenaed documents to Switzerland that were recovered at the last moment from a Swissair flight on the runway at Kennedy airport (located in Holder's hometown of Queens, New York).

The following month, another front-page story from the Post focused on the indictment of Rich, correctly calling it "the largest tax-evasion indictment in U.S. history." The newspaper ran at least 16 other stories that focused on Rich between 1983 and 1989, and five of those stories were posted on the front page of the Business section.

It would also be discovered (and reported by National Review's Andy McCarthy in 2009, just prior to Holder's planned confirmation vote by the Senate Judiciary Committee) that Holder as U.S. attorney in Washington in 1995 had settled a multimillion-dollar fraud case between the Treasury Department and Mr. Rich.

And in February of 2000, soon after Quinn's and Holder's plan to cut a deal for Rich with New York prosecutors fell through, Quinn sent Holder a memo of talking points entitled "Why DOJ (Justice Department) Should Review the Marc Rich Indictment."

Before prosecutors totally rejected a deal for Mr. Rich, Holder and Quinn stayed in constant touch after their initial contact in the fall of 1999. According to notes that Quinn kept of a phone call from Holder on November 8, Quinn quoted Holder as saying that he would "do what he can" and that it was "ridiculous" that prosecutors in New York were refusing to even discuss the case with Rich's attorneys.

Quinn's notes then included Holder's suggestion to "send letter to Mary Jo" (White -- who was then the prosecutor), and to "cc" a copy back to him. When Holder received his copy of the letter, he replied to Quinn that "we'll call her and say she should do it."

The notes added that Holder had advised Quinn to be "reasonable and conciliatory" when sending the letter. Incredibly, the deputy attorney general was now giving advice to assist the biggest tax evader in history in having his charges dismissed.

Quinn's letter was sent to White on December 1, and over the next two months before White's office replied, Holder and Quinn still remained in contact. After one conversation, Quinn noted that Holder had "spoke[n] to MJ" White, and "she didn't sound like her guard was up." After a further conversation with Holder, Quinn asked, "Deal?" Holder replied, "Yeah, think so. We're all sympathetic. Equities are on your side."

But the deal was flatly rejected in early February, and by mid-March of 2000, Quinn and the rest of Rich's legal team began making plans to obtain a presidential pardon for their fugitive client. Quinn returned to Holder for help that November after the election.

Meanwhile, the Rich legal team moved on what Quinn called the "GOI" (government of Israel) front. Rich began donating what would total 200 million dollars to Jewish and Israeli foundations over the next months. And according to reports in the Israeli press, at least 120 thousand dollars of Rich's money ended up in then-Prime Minister Ehud Barak's campaign. Barak would come to play an important role in the coming months.

Quinn touched base again with Holder on November 17 and sent an e-mail to a colleague the following day. Quinn wrote that he "spoke to him [Holder] last evening. he says go straight to wh [White House]. also says timing is good."

On the 21st, Quinn met with Holder personally and discussed the pardon petition (Holder later said he couldn't remember the meeting). Holder told Quinn that he didn't need a copy of the petition, and to just have White House Counsel Beth Nolan "call him."

What Holder was suggesting was to bypass Pardon Attorney Roger Adams, who would have been obliged to contact the prosecutors. Holder already knew that the prosecutors would vehemently object.

On December 11, Quinn gave the pardon petition to Nolan and suggested that she contact Holder for his input.

That same day, Ehud Barak called Clinton and (according to transcripts prepared by the National Security staff), at the end of the 20-minute call, Barak brought up Rich, and noted that he had made many "philanthropic contributions." Barak hoped that Clinton would "consider" the case.

On January 6, Beth Nolan contacted Holder for his input on the pardons for both Rich and his business partner Pincus Green (whom Quinn was also representing). Holder told her that his position was "neutral' in pardoning the two fugitives.

On January 8, Ehud Barak called Clinton again. And just like the first call, Rich came up at the end:

Clinton: It's best we not say much about that.

Barak: Okay. I understand. I'm not mentioned it in any place.

Clinton: I understand.

On January 10, Quinn sent Holder a copy of a letter that he had sent Clinton five days earlier where he stated that "I believe in this case with all my heart."

Quinn added a cover letter for Holder. "Dear Eric: I hope you can say that you agree with this letter. Your saying positive things can make this happen. Thanks for your consideration. Sincerely, Jack Quinn."

Quinn sent the letter to Holder, but since it dealt with pardons, it went instead to Roger Adams (where a petition should actually have gone months earlier). Adams's staff realized that it was meant for Holder and forwarded a copy to him, where it arrived on the 17th. Holder's staff would later say that he received it, but Holder denied that he ever did.

Adams finally saw a copy on the 19th, and he drafted a short response saying that Rich and Green should request petition forms. Adams decided to hold the response until Monday the 22nd, thinking that Clinton would have no time to pardon them before leaving office.

The rest of the events over the next two days would prove to be both stunning and disheartening.

At 2:47 p.m., Clinton called Ehud Barak, and this time Clinton brought up Rich:

Clinton: I'm trying to do something on clemency for Rich, but it is very difficult.

Barak: Might it move forward?

Clinton: I'm working on it, but I'm not sure...here's the problem with Rich; there's almost no precedent in American history. There's nothing illegal about it but there's no precedent...I'm working on it."

At 6:30 p.m., Quinn called Holder and told him that the Rich pardon was under serious consideration at the White House, and that they would soon be contacting him for his input.

Quinn mentioned Ehud Barak's support for a pardon, and his notes show that Holder had "no personal prob," and that his personal feeling was "not strongly against it," but that the prosecutors would "howl."

Quinn quickly called Nolan's White House Counsel's office and told them that Holder was "neutral, leaning favorable." Nolan promptly called Holder back at 6:38. Holder then repeated that he was now "neutral, leaning favorable" and had heard that Ehud Barak was now "interested."

After Holder hung up, Nolan informed the staff that Holder now supported a pardon -- to the surprise of the others. Stunned staff member Eric Angel said, "Why the f--- would he say that?"

At 7:00 p.m., Nolan and Angel were joined by White House staffers Bruce Lindsey, Meredith Cabe, and others for a staff meeting with Clinton, and the discussion focused on pardons -- the last being for Marc Rich.

Clinton noted that Ehud Barak had called him and raised the issue (even though it was Clinton who had called and raised the issue). The staff expressed strong opposition, but then Nolan dropped a bomb. She said that Holder was "leaning toward" a pardon.

When the meeting ended, no one was sure what Clinton would do. He then returned a call from Jack Quinn, and he agreed with Quinn's suggestion that the case against Rich was a civil and not a criminal one.

Clinton then informed Nolan and Lindsey that he was going to issue pardons, and to contact the Pardon Attorney office. Just past midnight, Cabe reached Roger Adams, and then faxed him a list of those being pardoned. Adams noted Rich and Green on the list, but no information was included.

Nolan's office then faxed the pardon petition to Adams, and he realized that Rich and Green were fugitives. At that point, the FBI faxed the required NCIC check to Adams. It showed the indictment that was still pending, and added that the two were wanted for arms trading.

Adams faxed a summary to the White House but was still worried that pardons would be issued. At 1:00 a.m. he contacted the Justice Department Command Center in an attempt to track down Holder.

Adams reached Holder at his home, and he informed him that Clinton was seriously considering pardons for the two fugitives. Holder told Adams that he was aware of that fact, and the conversation abruptly ended.

Holder would tell Congress -- and later the Washington Post --that he had been distracted by other issues that night. On other occasions, he would tell Congress that after he had given his recommendation hours earlier, he thought the pardons would still not be issued.

But Holder would also testify that when he received the warning call from Adams, he thought that Clinton had already made up his mind.

Even at that point, there was still one last chance to prevent the pardons. Nolan's staff was concerned about the the NCIC listing of arms trading, and at 2:00 a.m., an angry Jack Quinn assured them that there was nothing else.

At 2:30 a.m., Nolan called Clinton and expressed her concerns, saying that all they had was Quinn's assurance. Clinton's response was to "take Jack's word." And with that, Marc Rich and his legal team -- with a huge assist from Eric Holder -- finally achieved their goal.

But Holder's abysmal behavior wasn't finished. By January 22, the issue of the Rich pardon had fully erupted (and would continue for days). It was in that context when Quinn spoke to Holder that day. After Janet Reno's departure two days earlier (and with John Ashcroft's confirmation still days away), Holder was now acting attorney general.

Quinn again took notes, which he e-mailed to other members of the team late that afternoon. "Just spoke to Holder. Said I did a very good job and that he thinks we [should] be better about getting the merits of the case out publicly." Holder added that the press should know about the "support of [Ehud] Barak."

Holder then advised Quinn that he needed to have travel restrictions and arrest warrants lifted for Rich and Green, and to contact Interpol about Clinton's decision.

Then, unbelievably, Holder advised Quinn to go to the Federal Courthouse in Manhattan and move to have the indictment dismissed -- in case the prosecutors had not.

By early February, Holder was under severe criticism. Crossing paths with reporters, Holder said that "I'll be talking about that later."

On February 6, Ehud Barak lost reelection as prime minister of Israel in an unprecedented landslide to Ariel Sharon. Two days later, Holder appeared before the House Government Reform committee.

In his eight-minute opening statement (and with Quinn sitting right beside him), he said that "efforts to portray me as intimately involved or overly interested in this matter are simply at odds with the facts ... and it does not now stick in my memory."

He added that when he was first approached by Jack Quinn, "Mr. Rich's name was unfamiliar to me." He added that "consequently, I gained only a passing familiarity with the underlying facts of the Rich case."

On the meeting between him and Quinn the previous November 21 about a potential pardon, Holder said that "I have no memory of that conversation, but do not question Mr. Quinn's assertion."

About the conversation with Quinn after the pardon on January 22, Holder said that "[a]t no time did I congratulate Mr. Quinn about his efforts. If I said anything to him about his having done a good job, it was merely a polite acknowledgment of the obvious[.]"

After admitting that he'd had "conversations" with Jack Quinn about becoming attorney general under Gore, Holder told Committee Chairman Dan Burton from Indiana that "[m]y actions in in this matter were in no way affected by my desire to become Attorney General of the United States, or any desires I had to influence or seek to curry favor with anybody."

Congressman Paul Kanjorski told Holder that "I do find some of these positions almost incredible from the standpoint -- when you first heard the name Rich from Mr. Quinn that triggered no idea who that was?

Holder: I did not know.

Kanjorski: And you didn't assign somebody to find out? This was unusual. You've never been approached by Mr. Quinn in regard to a pardon before, have you?

Holder: That's correct.

Later Kanjorski asked, "Did you know whether he was a fugitive?"

Holder: I'm sorry, did I know what?

Kanjorski: Did you know whether he was a fugitive or not?

Holder: Yes.

Kanjorski: OK. That's a rare classification for someone seeking a pardon.

Moments later, Holder testified that, "I never really thought that this case was going to move, using your term, given the fact that he was a fugitive ... if I'd known, obviously, that it was going to turn out this way, I mean, I would have done things differently."

Later there was this exchange with Bob Barr from Georgia:

Barr: Did the Southern District of New York oppose the pardon?

Holder: You mean before the--well, they never weighed in on the pardon. They were never contacted.

Barr: So they didn't even know that a pardon request had been submitted?

Holder: That's correct.

Barr: How about the FBI?

Holder: Did not weigh in.

Barr: NSA?

Holder: No.

Barr: CIA?

Holder: No.

Barr: State?

Holder: No. Again, there were no contacts between the Justice Department and these agencies.

Holder concluded his testimony before the House by telling the reform committee's chief counsel, James Wilson, the following about his determination on the Rich pardon:

I mean, when I say I'm neutral but leaning toward, neutral means I'm kind of where I was before, don't have the ability to make that determination, if there is a foreign policy benefit then that, kind of, moves me. I think, you know, as I said, I tried to be careful in relaying that to her (Beth Nolan) so that it would not be misinterpreted.

Still Holder continued. "Perhaps I didn't do as good a job with her -- or with you. It seems kind of clear to me, but I guess I haven't explained it as well as I might."

Six days later, on February 14, 2001, Holder appeared before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

This time, though, Pardon Attorney Roger Adams was seated next to him. In Adam's opening statement, he spoke about the call he made to Holder on the early morning of January 20 after learning that Rich and Green were fugitives.

Adams stated that he "immediately contacted Deputy Attorney General Holder at home, through the Justice Department Command Center, to alert him that the president was considering granting pardons to two men. Mr. Holder indicated to me that he was aware of the pending clemency requests of Rich and Green."

Holder then spoke about the events of the 19th and 20th, saying that he was "extremely busy that day and particularly that night." He assumed that the pardon request went to the Justice Department for review. He assumed that staff contacts were going on between his office, the pardon attorney's office, and the White House.

He did not think he was the only person in the Justice Department aware of the pardon. He added that by the time he got the warning call from Adams on the morning of the 20th, "I thought that a decision had been made, that the president had rendered a decision, had made up his mind...so I took no action at that point."

Holder told Ohio Senator Mike Dewine that "I did not think, given the fact that he was a fugitive, that this ever was a matter likely to be successfully concluded from Mr. Rich's perspective." Holder then told Jon Kyl from Arizona that "my interaction with the White House I did not view as a recommendation," but there were "certain things I would have done differently."

In March of 2002, the House Government Reform Committee issued their final report on the Clinton pardons. In quoting from the report, the New York Times noted that Holder was a "willing participant in the plan to keep the Justice Department from knowing about and and opposing a pardon" for Rich.

The article noted that Holder admitted discussing becoming attorney general in a Gore administration with Jack Quinn, and that Holder's conduct was "unconscionable." The House report itself noted that Holder's actions were "pivotal" and had a "critical impact."

The report's devastating conclusion was that Holder had "abdicated his responsibilities" as deputy attorney general.

Just two years later, at a Washington, D.C. dinner party in the fall of 2004, Holder met a newly elected senator from Illinois named Barack Obama, and the two bonded immediately.

In 2006, Holder contributed $2,000 to Senator Obama's Hopefund PAC. Also that year, Holder donated to Senator Pat Leahy's PAC -- another man who would help control Holder's destiny. In 2007, Holder donated $2,300 (the maximum) to both Obama's primary and general election campaigns.

That August, Holder was mentioned in the Chicago Tribune as a potential attorney general in an Obama administration. In June of 2008, the American Lawyer wrote that Holder was "playing a variety of positions" for Team Obama.

Obama became the presumptive nominee on June 3, and the following day he named Mr. Holder to help choose his running mate. But later that evening, the AP posted a story about Holder's ties to the Rich pardon. At a press conference six days later, Obama sidestepped questions about Holder's past. That August, Joe Biden was chosen as the running mate.

On November 18, two weeks after the election, Holder's name was leaked to the press that he would soon be nominated for Attorney General. An AP story noted that in the prior week, members of Obama's team had polled the incoming Senate in an attempt to nail down the post that Holder had so long coveted.

On December 1, Obama made it official, saying that Holder had the "talent and commitment" to succeed as attorney general and would "protect the people and uphold the public trust."

In late December, the Boston Globe reported that members of the Obama transition team had been coaching Holder to "prepare" him for what would likely be tough questioning for his confirmation hearings before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

On January 9, the Los Angeles Times reported in a front-page story about Holder's years-long obsession with freeing the FALN. On January 13 -- and two days prior to the hearings -- Judiciary Chairman Pat Leahy told the Legal Times that Holder displayed "independent judgment" in helping to facilitate clemency for the FALN, and that debating the issue was only a "rehash."

The hearings began on the bitterly cold morning of January 15, 2009, and Holder addressed terrorism midway through his opening statement: "I will work to strengthen the activities of the Federal government to protect the American people from terrorism. Nothing will be more important."

Soon, though, Holder was forced to address the FALN issue. He told Senator Sessions from Alabama that what Bill Clinton had done was "reasonable."

Then Senator Cornyn from Texas got to the heart of the matter:

Cornyn: Did you recommend clemency for the FALN terrorists to President Clinton?

Holder: Yes.

Cornyn: Was it a mistake?

Holder: No, I don't think it was a mistake.

Holder then told Cornyn that "I think the decision was made in a pre-9/11 context."

But Holder neglected to mention that in the years preceding the clemencies were the attacks on the World Trade Center in 1993, killing six, and the twin African embassy bombings in 1998, killing more than 200.

Holder then admitted to Senator Coburn from Oklahoma about freeing the FALN terrorists that:

You had two United States attorneys who weighed against it, law enforcement was against it. There are obviously the feelings the victims had...I took those into account and balanced that against the people advocating for it.

But Holder had contacted neither law enforcement nor the victims.

Senator Grassley began his questioning after the lunch recess. The hearing room was darkened, and the now-infamous FBI surveillance tape showing now-freed FALN members Edwin Cortez and Alejandrina Torres constructing bombs was shown.

When the lights went back up, Holder told Grassley that "I've not seen that video before."

Moments later, he changed his story, telling Grassley that "I think I've seen it in some news accounts in the recent past, like, in the last week or so, something like that."

Holder then told Grassley that he wasn't aware of any threats by the FALN towards Judge Thomas McMillen at their sentencing in Chicago in 1981. For example, FALN member Carmen Valentine told McMillen that "you are lucky we cannot take you right now."

Holder then told Grassley that "I'm not sure I ever described them as non-violent...it's a difference between -- let's hypothetically say -- murder and attempted murder."

Then Holder told Senator Sessions that "I looked into the situation, took into account the fact that these people were not directly involved in incidents that led to death or -- or injuries...it seemed to me that the clemency grant given was appropriate."

What Holder failed to mention was that most of the FALN members who received pardons were arrested in April 1980 near Chicago, and that 29 bombings had earlier been carried out in the Chicago area between 1975 and 1979. Nine people had been injured, some of them seriously.

When the subject moved to the Marc Rich pardon, Holder's testimony was a tour de force of evasive and misleading statements, and his memory often failed him.

Holder told Senator Specter from Pennsylvania that he didn't remember telling Jack Quinn to avoid the Justice Department and go straight to the White House, yet moments later said that "I never told Quinn to go straight to the White House."

Holder told Senator Grassley that he was not familiar with the Rich case and that he "assumed" that the prosecutors and Justice Department were involved. He further said that he wasn't "particularly sympathetic" to the case, that he didn't do "anything affirmatively to make it happen, and that "I should have made sure that I was better informed ... about the history of Mr. Rich."

About the 1 a.m. warning call on Jan. 20 from Roger Adams alerting Holder of the impending Rich pardon: "I thought we were dealing with a fait accompli, that the president had already made up his mind."

Then Holder went through a series of pointed questions from Grassley, and his memory seemed to fail. Grassley asked if Holder remembered saying that there would be "a howl" from the prosecutors.

Holder: At this point, Senator, I mean, we're talking about something that happened, what, 2001? So, that's eight years ago, I don't remember that."

But things for Holder weren't quite over yet. On January 21, 2009 -- the first full day of the Obama administration, and only minutes before the full committee was scheduled to vote on Holder -- Andy McCarthy of National Review published an article about the Clarendon Ltd. settlement from 1995 involving Marc Rich and Eric Holder.

That article, along with the fears of some senators that Holder may prosecute Bush administration officials over terrorist policy, caused a one-week delay in the vote.

During the hearings, Specter asked Holder if he had been aware of what kind of record Marc Rich had.

"No, I was not," replied Holder. "I did not acquaint myself with his record. I knew that the matter involved -- it was a tax fraud case; it was a substantial tax fraud case."

That case was USA vs. Clarendon Ltd. The company was one that Rich owned 49% of, and one of the commodities it traded in was metals -- copper, nickel, and zinc.

Between 1988 and 1991, the company had obtained 22 contacts totaling 45 million dollars to supply coinage metal to the U.S. Mint. But they had fraudulently withheld Rich's name (who was then a fugitive) from the contracts.

The contracts ceased, and the government sued, and the case was handled by the U.S. attorney's office in Washington. Mr. Holder arrived as the U. S. attorney there in October of 1993, and the case was settled between Holder's office and Mr. Rich in April 1995. Rich agreed to pay the government 1.2 million dollars, and he even swore out an affidavit and sent it to Washington from Switzerland.

The problem for Holder was that he has repeatedly said that he was unfamiliar with both Marc Rich and the case against him, even though the Clarendon case, along with a mountain of other evidence, shows otherwise.

He also claimed -- just like he would later do during Fast and Furious -- that his staff had kept him in the dark. In the Clarendon case, it involved a multimillion-dollar fraud and a settlement with a fugitive. In Fast and Furious, it involves 2,000 guns running untracked into Mexico, resulting in murder and violence in the present and into the future.

But in 2009, as expected, Mr. Holder was confirmed, even though half the Republicans refused to fall in line and accept the inevitable.

Now, Mr. Holder is scheduled to appear before the House Judiciary Committee on December 8 to discuss the deadly gunrunning scandal, and if past is prologue, then the Committee should know what to expect.

Looking back in history at the list of former attorneys general, two from the recent past seem to stand out. Robert F. Kennedy chose -- at some personal risk -- to take on not only organized crime, but the corrupt Teamsters union. John Mitchell became entangled in Richard Nixon's Watergate scandal and was convicted of multiple felonies.

It's quite obvious which category Mr. Holder belongs in. Scandal seems to follow him wherever he goes, and now, either through incompetence or malfeasance, the road has led to Fast and Furious.

Every day that Mr. Holder now remains attorney general further diminishes the office, and the Justice Department's reputation as well.

Thanks

Default Re: The ethics of Eric Holder

Unfortunately, there are too many people in our government with the same style of "ethics". I could list several discrepencies in the former Govenor of the State of Missouri, who also held that office. Look at the record of Hoover for more history of ethics.
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

Federal Officials Offer Warning On Medicare Billing Abuses

Topics: Health Costs, Marketplace, Medicare, Hospitals
    Sep 25, 2012
    Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Attorney General Eric Holder notified hospital trade groups Monday that they planned to prosecute providers that use electronic records to "game the system" by billing Medicare for more complicated care than they actually deliver.
    The New York Times: U.S. Warning to Hospitals on Medicare Bill Abuses
    Saying there are "troubling indications" of abuse in the way hospitals use electronic records to bill for Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, the Obama administration warned on Monday that it would not tolerate what it called attempts to "game the system" and vowed to vigorously prosecute doctors and hospitals implicated in fraud (Abelson and Creswell, 9/24).
    Center For Public Integrity: Cabinet Officials Signal Crackdown On Medicare Billing Abuse
    Top federal officials are stepping up scrutiny for doctors and hospitals that may be cheating Medicare by using electronic health records to improperly bill the health plan for more complex and costly services than they deliver. U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Attorney General Eric Holder notified five medical groups of their intention to ramp up investigative oversight, including possible criminal prosecutions, by letter on Monday (Schulte, 9/24).
    Reuters: U.S. Warns Hospitals Against Medicare Scams, Vows To Prosecute
    There are "troubling indications" some hospitals may be using electronic records to defraud Medicare, the Obama administration said on Monday, promising to prosecute any doctors and hospitals found "gaming the system". U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Attorney General Eric Holder warned five hospital-related interest groups of signs of abuse of the Medicare healthcare program administered by the federal government (Morgan, 9/24).
    The Hill: Holder, Sebelius Warn Hospitals Against Fraud
    The Obama administration warned hospitals Monday not to use electronic health records to illegally boost their Medicare payments. Attorney General Eric Holder and Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius laid out their concerns in a letter to hospital trade associations, including the American Hospital Association and the Federation of American Hospitals. Holder and Sebelius reiterated the administration's support for electronic records, which can help reduce errors and improve efficiency. "However, there are troubling indications that some providers are using this technology to game the system, possibly to obtain payments to which they are not entitled," they wrote. "False documentation of care is not just bad patient care; it's illegal" (Baker, 9/24).
    Politico Pro: HHS Warns Hospitals On Upcoding
    The Obama administration warned the nation's hospitals Monday against using electronic medical records to "game the system" to duplicate payments or "upcode" the severity of their patients' conditions for profit. "There are troubling indications that some providers are using [electronic medical records] technology to game the system, possibly to obtain payments to which they are not entitled," HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Attorney General Eric Holder told the nation's largest hospital trade groups in a letter. "Law enforcement will take appropriate steps to pursue health care providers who misuse electronic health records to bill for services never provided" (Haberkorn, 9/24).
    National Journal: Obama Administration Warns Hospitals On Fraud
    The Obama administration warned hospitals on Monday that the government would vigorously pursue cases of fraud involving the use of electronic medical records to inflate bills and generate extra revenue. In a sternly worded letter to several major hospital groups, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Attorney General Eric Holder vowed to prosecute any abuses (McCarthy, 9/24).
    Kaiser Health News posted a copy of the letter.
    Meanwhile, in other news from the administration -
    Politico: Medicare Advantage Bonuses Boost Plan Quality
    The Obama administration will announce later this week that the quality of private Medicare plans is on the rise, thanks to an $8 billion demonstration project that pays them bonuses for good performance. And Republicans say that same project is covering up cuts to the popular program under the federal health care law (Norman, 9/25).
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

This guy is a sack of shit. "How he was treated"? He was treated as he SHOULD have been, and a criminal sitting in front of Congress.

They need to find this fucker in contempt and them impeach him.

And Eric Holder, you're a SLIME!

Eric Holder’s whine

By Post Editorial Board

April 10, 2014 | 9:57pm
    Modal Trigger
    The Rev. Al Sharpton listens to Attorney General Eric Holder at the 16th Annual National Action Network's Convention in New York. Photo: Getty Images

Eric Holder dropped a race bomb in New York City this week by telling a largely black audience that Republicans are guilty of “unprecedented, unwarranted, ugly and divisive” attacks on him.

“Forget about me,” he told Al Sharpton’s National Action Network. “Look at the way the attorney general of the United States was treated yesterday by a House committee . . . What attorney general has ever had to deal with that kind of treatment?”

We’ll answer that: plenty.

Start with John Mitchell, who spent three days sparring with the Senate Watergate Committee and eventually went to jail. Or Janet Reno, held in contempt by a House committee for refusing to hand over memos related to the appointment of a special prosecutor for Clinton campaign contributions. Or William French Smith, held in contempt by a Senate subcommittee for refusing to turn over records on an investigation into Navy shipbuilding.

Other top officers — from Secretary of State Henry Kissinger to Chief of Staff Joshua Bolten — have also found themselves the target of contempt votes.

Ditto for the hearing Holder cited. On Tuesday, Holder exploded when Texas Republican Louie Gohmert suggested the AG didn’t think it a big deal Congress had held him in contempt. “You don’t want to go there, buddy,” said Holder, adding the finding was “inappropriate” and “unfair.”

But Gohmert had an answer: “Well, I’m just looking for evidence, and normally we’re known by our fruits, and there have been no indications that it was a big deal, because your department has still not been forthcoming in producing the documents that were the subject of the contempt.”

Gohmert makes an excellent point. Because if General Holder checked the record, he’d see the chief reason he’s the first sitting Cabinet member held in contempt of Congress is that — unlike previous cabinet members who faced this sanction — he obstinately refused any accommodation.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Holder is a gun grabbing, Liberal asshole who wants to take guns from the White Man and blame the White Man for everything. Unfortunately, you can't FIX things by being a criminal yourself. Ignoring the Constitution, ignoring Congress... all part of the plan.

Eric Holder strays from planned remarks

By TAL KOPAN | 4/10/14 6:23 AM EDT
    Attorney General Eric Holder strayed from prepared remarks to slam the way he was “treated” by a House committee the day before, calling it evidence of “ugly and divisive” civil rights challenges facing him and President Barack Obama
    Speaking to the Rev. Al Sharpton’s National Action Network at its annual convention in New York on Wednesday, Holder talked about the state of civil rights today and brought up a House committee hearing Tuesday that grew contentious, according to video from Mediaite and reports from outlets including Capital New York.
    Continue Reading Text Size

• -
    • +
    • reset

Latest on POLITICO

“The last five years have been defined by significant strides and by lasting reforms even in the face, even in the face of unprecedented, unwarranted, ugly and divisive adversity,” Holder said. “If you don’t believe that, you look at the way — forget about me, forget about me. You look at the way the attorney general of the United States was treated yesterday by a House committee — has nothing to do with me, forget that. What attorney general has ever had to deal with that kind of treatment? What president has ever had to deal with that kind of treatment?”
    (PHOTOS: Civil Rights Summit)
    According to the text of his remarks posted by the Justice Department, Holder was improvising:
    “The last five years have been defined by significant strides and lasting reforms — even in the face of unprecedented adversity. Last summer, after a narrowly split but divided Supreme Court struck down a key part of the historic Voting Rights Act of 1965, my colleagues and I took action,” the prepared remarks said.
    (Also on POLITICO: Obama pushes voting rights in Texas)
    Holder faced a testy House Judiciary Committee oversight hearing on Tuesday, during which the attorney general engaged in a heated back-and-forth with Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas), who brought up the House holding Holder in contempt, and Rep. Blake Farenthold (R-Texas) wouldn’t question Holder because, the lawmaker implied, he should be in jail.
    Gohmert, for his part, said Wednesday that his beef with Holder is not personal.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Don't think he's a slime?

Holder: We want to explore gun tracking bracelets

By Elizabeth Harrington
    Washington Free Beacon

Facebook0 Twitter0 Gplus186
    April 3, 2014: Attorney General Eric Holder testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington.AP

Attorney General Eric Holder said gun tracking bracelets are something the Justice Department (DOJ) wants to "explore" as part of its gun control efforts.

When discussing gun violence prevention programs within the DOJ, Holder told a House appropriations subcommittee on Friday that his agency is looking into technological innovations.

"I think that one of the things that we learned when we were trying to get passed those common sense reforms last year, Vice President Biden and I had a meeting with a group of technology people and we talked about how guns can be made more safe," he said.

"By making them either through finger print identification, the gun talks to a bracelet or something that you might wear, how guns can be used only by the person who is lawfully in possession of the weapon."

"It's those kinds of things that I think we want to try to explore so that we can make sure that people have the ability to enjoy their Second Amendment rights, but at the same time decreasing the misuse of weapons that lead to the kinds of things that we see on a daily basis," Holder said.

The Justice Department has requested $382.1 million in increased spending for its fiscal year 2014 budget for "gun safety."

Included in the proposal is $2 million for "Gun Safety Technology" grants, which would award prizes for technologies that are "proven to be reliable and effective."
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I want my wife and children to be able to use my weapons. Fuck that bracelet bullshit. Or rings, or hand cuffs.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

With Learner being held in contempt of Congress and Holder getting whiny yesterday, Sebelius steps down.

Rats, all of them.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

The ‘most dangerous man in the Obama administration’

By: Teresa Mull
    7/2/2014 06:00 AM
    RESIZE: AAA

Print

• Share on Facebook

In his new book, Obama’s Enforcer: Eric Holder’s Justice Department (co-written with John Fund), Hans von Spakovsky reveals how our attorney general has turned America’s Department of Justice into “a politicized hotbed of left-wing legal activism.” The author revealed to Human Events the magnitude of Holder’s offenses highlighted in his book, offenses which should be an alarming wake-up call to every American:
    What do you reveal in your book that people might not know about Eric Holder?
    People would be shocked at just how much of an ideologue he is. I think they would [also] be surprised at just how far back this goes, and in particular, the way he has completely politicized the department throughout all the different divisions, and how that now drives the decision-making, which is a very bad thing for the Justice Department, given its ability to abuse the law.
    You say in your book that Holder has lied under oath numerous times. Can you tell us specifically what you’re referring to?
    We give some very specific examples[in the book]. One example is, on Operation Fast and Furious, he misinformed Congress as to when he found out about it and knew about it. In fact, he changed his story on that with two different committees, telling a House committee one thing, and telling a Senate committee something else. He also clearly lied to Congress when he said there were no political appointees involved in the decision to dismiss the New Black Panther Party voter intimidation case. We now know that is not true.
    How did Holder get so powerful and how is he able to get away with this?
    For two reasons: One, he has the complete support of the president. The president likes what he’s doing, has no objections to anything he is doing, and in fact, it’s a team effort between the two of them to ignore the laws they don’t like, to change laws they don’t like, and to carry out what the president considers to be his priorities in the public policy arena, even when it’s against the law.
    Also, he’s able to get away with this because it’s very clear that Democrats in the Senate and Democrats in the House also completely support everything he’s doing. They have absolutely no objections to his breaking the law, and so he’s got their full support, and he’s got the president’s full support.
    Having chronicled Holder’s career and what he’s accomplished with the Justice Department, what would you say is his agenda? What is he trying to do to America?
    He shares the president’s progressive view of wanting to change America into this progressive utopia, and he’s doing everything he can from the Justice Department to push through the kind of social and economic policies that the president wants to implement, and also, and one of the most dangerous things, is the huge expansion of the power of the executive branch of the federal government.
    Would you say that Eric Holder is the most dangerous man in the Obama administration?
    Yes, I think that’s an accurate statement.
    Holder has already done a large amount of damage, as you have documented. Is what he’s doing going to be something that will take years for us to recover from, if we ever can, or is he doing so much harm that it’s going to take a really strong Republican president or an overtake of the Senate by the GOP to undo any of these things, or to stop him?
    I think that it will take all of the above. It’s going to be very difficult to reverse much of what he has done even if a Republican president is elected who puts in a very ethical and professional attorney general. He has so politicized the department that that’s a very difficult thing to reverse, particularly because he has bent and twisted the merit service rules that govern career positions within the department to fill slots with political cronies and with ideologically left, radical lawyers, and those people, unfortunately, will be there, even when he leaves and even if a Republican president comes in, and it will be almost impossible to get them out of the Justice Department.
    Other than Fast and Furious, what are the biggest scandals or the most damaging actions Eric Holder has been involved in, and how does it affect the average American?
    One of the things unfortunately he has done is hurt our national security by putting lawyers who are representing terrorists inside the national security apparatus and returning us to the criminal model for dealing with terrorists. This was spectacularly unsuccessful during the Clinton administration; many point to it having led to 9/11, and here we are going down that road again. He also has basically infused race into almost every kind of enforcement decision, which is taking us backwards as a country.
    There have been calls by multiple leaders in the Republican Party and by citizens to impeach Eric Holder. Do you see that ever happening? How could that come about?
    No, I don’t think it’ll happen. I think there are plenty of grounds for that, but there is absolutely nothing that he could do that would convince Democrats in the Senate to actually vote to impeach him. No matter how unethical, no matter how unprofessional he is, they like what he is doing politically, so they will just simply ignore any violations of the law that he commits. They simply would not vote to impeach him no matter what.
    If the Senate is overtaken by the Republicans in November, then do you see impeachment happening, or are you not optimistic for that at all?
    No, I think they’re going to be so busy with other things that they would think that would be a distraction from the things they have to accomplish.
    Other than lying under oath, as you mentioned he’s done numerous times, how else has Eric Holder broken the law?
    A quick example that is very recent: He has announced that he’s going to provide legal representation to many of the illegal aliens who have come across the border recently. That is a direct violation of federal law. He clearly has absolutely no compunction about violating a provision of the federal immigration law that says the federal government can’t pay for that kind of legal representation.
    So he’s basically making up his own rules and then enforcing them because he has the power to do so?
    Yes. That’s exactly correct.
    Teresa Mull is managing editor of Human Events.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Holder is stepping down.

YAY
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

White House: Holder resigning as attorney general

Eric Holder, who served as the public face of the Obama administration's legal fight against terrorism and weighed in on issues of racial fairness, is resigning after six years on the job. He is the nation's first black attorney general.
    Holder to Announce Resignation as Attorney General

Sept. 25 (Bloomberg) -- Attorney General Eric Holder plans to resign his post, staying in office until a successor is confirmed, a Justice Department official said. Peter Cook reports on “Market Makers.” (Source:...

By NEDRA PICKLER and JIM KUHNHENN
    Associated Press

PREV 1 of 5 NEXT

POOL / GETTY IMAGES
    U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder will resign from his post after a successor is in place.

Reader Comments
    Hide / Show comments
    GREAT..! Now can we get someone in there who isn't a bigoted racist who judges people by skin color.... (September 25, 2014) MORE

Well now, that brought a smile to my face! (September 25, 2014) MORE

@jeffril hopefully someone who is not an anti-American Socialist (September 25, 2014) MORE

Read all 62 comments
    Post a comment

WASHINGTON — Eric Holder, who served as the public face of the Obama administration's legal fight against terrorism and weighed in on issues of racial fairness, is resigning after six years on the job. He is the nation's first black attorney general.
    The White House said that President Barack Obama would announce Holder's departure later Thursday and that Holder, one of Obama's longest serving Cabinet members, planned to remain at the Justice Department until his successor was in place.
    Holder's decision comes in the midst of a high-profile Justice Department civil rights investigation into the use of force by police in Ferguson, Missouri, where a young black man was shot by a white law enforcement officer last month.
    The news of Holder's resignation came as civil rights leaders and the families of the Ferguson man, Michael Brown, and Eric Garner, who died in a New York City police chokehold this summer, were appearing at a news conference in Washington.
    Holder has become the point man in the federal response to the shooting, which has sparked racial tension in the St. Louis suburb.
    White House officials said Obama had not made a final decision on a replacement for Holder, who was one of the most progressive voices in his Cabinet. A Justice Department official said Holder finalized his plans in a meeting with the president over the Labor Day weekend.
    Some possible candidates who have been discussed among administration officials include Solicitor General Don Verrilli, Deputy U.S. Attorney General James Cole and Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, a former Rhode Island attorney general. Others mentioned are former White House Counsel Kathy Ruemmler; Preet Bharara, the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, and Jenny Durkan, a former U.S. attorney in Washington state.
    Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, sometimes mentioned as a possible Holder successor, took himself out of consideration. "That's an enormously important job, but it's not one for me right now," Patrick said.
    Holder, a 63-year-old former judge and prosecutor, took office in early 2009 as the U.S. government grappled with the worst financial crisis in decades and with divisive questions on the handling of captured terrorism suspects, issues that helped shape his tenure as the country's top law enforcement official. He is the fourth-longest serving attorney general in U.S. history.
    He also took on questions of racial fairness, working to improve police relations with minorities, enforce civil rights laws and remove disparities in sentencing. Most recently he has been at the forefront of the administration's reaction to the police shooting in Ferguson last month of Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old.
    In a recent interview with The Associated Press, Holder said he hoped the local and federal investigations would be concluded sooner rather than later.
    "We would not be well served as a nation to have this drag out," Holder said of the investigation. "There's a great deal of anticipation, and I'd say apprehension, on the part of the people in Ferguson, and many people in this nation, about how this is going to be resolved."
    The Rev. Al Sharpton urged the White House to meet with civil rights representatives before appointing a replacement. "There has not been an attorney general with a civil rights record equal to Attorney General Eric Holder," Sharpton said.
    In his first few years on the job, Holder endured a succession of controversies over, among other things, an ultimately abandoned plan to try terrorism suspects in New York City, a botched gun-running probe along the Southwest border that prompted Republican calls for his resignation, and what was seen as failure to hold banks accountable for the economic near-meltdown.
    But he stayed on after Obama won re-election, turning in his final stretch to issues that he said were personally important to him. He promoted voting rights and legal benefits for same-sex couples and pushed for changes to a criminal justice system that he said meted out punishment disproportionately to minorities.
    Stung by criticism that the department hadn't been aggressive enough in targeting financial misconduct, Holder in the past year and a half secured criminal guilty pleas from two foreign banks and multibillion-dollar civil settlements with American banks arising from the sale of toxic mortgage-backed securities. Even then, critics noted that no individuals were held accountable.
    A former deputy attorney general in the Clinton administration, Holder was pulled away from private practice to reshape a Justice Department that had been tarnished by a scandal involving fired U.S. attorneys and that had authorized harsh interrogation methods for terrorism suspects.
    He immediately signaled a new direction for the incoming administration by declaring that waterboarding was torture, contrary to the George W. Bush administration's insistence that it wasn't.
    In the first year of his tenure, Holder was widely criticized by Republicans and some Democrats for his plan to try professed Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and other alleged co-conspirators in New York. The plan was doomed by political opposition to granting civilian criminal trials to terrorist suspects, who arguably would have had greater legal protections in civilian courts than in military commissions. The attorney general gave up the effort, but he continued to maintain that civilian courts were the most appropriate venue. He argued that his original plan was vindicated by the successful prosecution in New York of Osama bin Laden's son-in-law.
    Under his watch, the Justice Department cracked down on news media reporting on national security matters. The department secretly subpoenaed phone records from Associated Press reporters and editors and used a search warrant to obtain some emails of a Fox News journalist as part of a separate leak investigation.
    On matters of policy, Holder spoke frankly about how his upbringing -- his father emigrated from Barbados and his sister-in-law helped integrate the University of Alabama -- helped shape his thinking. He referred to America in 2009 as a "nation of cowards" in its discussions of race. He later lamented that "systemic and unwarranted racial disparities remain disturbingly common."
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Rat faced racist
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Good riddance.

Thanks

While I'm happy to see him "out", it won't be for awhile, and he won't get any jail time because frankly Americans in Congress are cowards.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Bet on Obama to nominate Kamala Harris as Holder’s replacement
    CFP ^ | September 25, 2014 | Robert Laurie
    Posted on 9/26/2014, 5:36:01 AM by iontheball
    If you aren’t familiar with the name Kamala Harris, you should be. The LA Times describes the California Attorney General thusly: “Aty. Gen. Kamala Harris is a veteran prosecutor, a skilled political leader and a promising politician who is sure to figure in California’s future.” She’s been called a “female Barack Obama” and she’s just as far-left as you might imagine.

(Excerpt) Read more at canadafreepress.com ...
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Holder resigning as attorney general after tumultuous term

FoxNews.com

Facebook0 Twitter0 livefyre8778 Email Print

Now Playing President Obama's top cop turns in his badge

Attorney General Eric Holder is resigning from the Obama administration, capping a tumultuous six-year term marked by several high-profile clashes with Congress.
    President Obama formally announced the decision, made public earlier in the day, at the White House late Thursday afternoon. Calling Holder's resignation "bittersweet," Obama touted Holder's record on civil rights, as well as terror and corruption prosecutions.
    "Eric has done a superb job," Obama said.
    Holder is one of the few Cabinet officials to have stayed on since the beginning of the Obama presidency, and Obama said Holder has agreed to stay on until a successor is confirmed.
    Holder, choking up several times during brief remarks at the White House, said: "I will leave the Department of Justice, but ... I will never leave the work."
    The attorney general, who previously worked in private practice and before that was a federal prosecutor, was one of the most controversial members of the administration. Republicans made clear Thursday they would not miss him in the Obama Cabinet.
    "Eric Holder is the most divisive U.S. attorney general in modern history," House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa, R-Calif., said in a statement. "By needlessly injecting politics into law enforcement, Attorney General Holder's legacy has eroded more confidence in our legal system than any attorney general before him."
    Holder was held in contempt of Congress by the Republican-led House in 2012 -- a vote in which Issa played a central role -- for failing to provide key information about the botched Operation Fast and Furious program. He is the only sitting Cabinet member to have been held in contempt of Congress.
    Holder and GOP lawmakers routinely clashed, over Fast and Furious but also over his department's handling of the IRS targeting scandal, its civilian prosecution of terror cases, surveillance of media outlets and other issues. His hearing appearances were at-times combative; some lawmakers even sought to impeach him.
    During the contempt fight, Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, was quoted saying Holder's "arrogance knows no bounds."
    In that debate, Holder was blasted by Republicans for not turning over documents related to the gun-running probe along the Southwest border. Democrats decried the contempt push, in an election year, as political.
    Holder is the fourth-longest serving attorney general in U.S. history, and the first black attorney general. Rumors about his departure have circulated for a while. According to a Justice official, Holder had discussed his plans with Obama on "multiple occasions" in recent months.
    "[He] finalized those plans in an hour-long conversation with the president at the White House residence over Labor Day weekend," the official said. The official added that Holder has "no immediate plans" after leaving the post.
    A White House official said the president has not made any final decision about a possible replacement for Holder.
    Of the outgoing attorney general, the official said: "Holder’s accomplishments have established a historic legacy of civil rights enforcement and restoring fairness to the criminal justice system. Holder revitalized the Department’s praised Civil Rights Division, protected the rights of the LGBT community, successfully prosecuted terrorists, and fought tirelessly for voting rights, to name a few."
    The 63-year-old former judge and prosecutor, who took office in early 2009, grappled with divisive questions on the handling of captured terrorism suspects.
    In his first few years on the job, Holder weathered a firestorm over an ultimately-abandoned plan to try terrorism suspects in New York City. The attorney general gave up the effort, but he continued to maintain that civilian courts were the most appropriate venue. He argued that his original plan was vindicated by the successful prosecution in New York of Usama bin Laden's son-in-law -- this week, he was sentenced to life in prison.
    Under Holder's watch, the Justice Department also cracked down on news media reporting on national security matters. The department secretly subpoenaed phone records from Associated Press reporters and editors and used a search warrant to obtain some emails of Fox News' James Rosen as part of a separate leak investigation.
    Holder eventually agreed to overhaul department policies with regard to dealing with media.
    The attorney general was often outspoken in his public remarks. He even referred to America in 2010 as a "nation of cowards" in discussing matters of race. He later lamented that "systemic and unwarranted racial disparities remain disturbingly common."
    He was known to weigh in on matters of racial fairness, taking steps to improve police relations with minorities, enforce civil rights laws and remove racial disparities in sentencing. Most recently he became the Obama administration's face in the federal response to the police shooting last month of an unarmed black 18-year-old in Ferguson, Mo. In the shooting's aftermath, he enlisted a team of criminal justice researchers to study racial bias in law enforcement.
    A former deputy attorney general in the Clinton administration, Holder was pulled away from private practice to reshape a Justice Department that had been tarnished by a scandal involving fired U.S. attorneys and that had authorized harsh interrogation methods for terrorism suspects.
    Fox News' Lucas Tomlinson and Ed Henry and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Breaking: Contempt of Congress case against Holder will proceed

Posted on September 25, 2014 by JC | 3 Comments

Comment by Jim Campbell, Citizen Journalist, Oath Keeper and Patriot.

It looks as though Holder will not be able to get out of Dodge City soon enough and he has irritated enough people by his constant lying and obstructing justice that they want to put him away.

Sadly, he can’t make a deal and role on Obama as he is Holder’s “get out of jail free card.

Obama will just grant him clemency or a complete pardon, but he may well be serving some time at the “Grey Bar Hotel,” yet.

Opponent says timing of resignation no coincidence

By Stephen Dinan – The Washington Times – Thursday, September 25, 2014
    The contempt of Congress case against Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. — the first sitting Cabinet member ever to face such a congressional rebuke — will continue even after his resignation takes effect, but it’s unlikely he will ever face personal punishment, legal analysts said Thursday.

Mr. Holder, is expected to announce his resignation later Thursday, and Tom Fitton, president of Judicial Watch, said the timing is not accidental: A federal judge earlier this week ruled that the Justice Department will have to begin submitting documents next month related to the botched Fast and Furious gun operation in a case brought by Judicial Watch.

Entire article below.

“I don’t think it’s any coincidence he’s resigning as the courts are ruling the Fast and Furious information has to be released,” Mr. Fitton told The Washington Times.
    Mr. Holder has served since the beginning of the Obama administration, and has been at the center of many of the controversies of President Obama’s tenure, including the investigation into the IRS’s targeting of tea party groups, the push for stricter gun controls, decisions on enforcing drug laws, thorny race-laced cases ranging from local crimes to voter-identification laws, and defending Mr. Obama’s recess appointments, which were ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court earlier this year.

Most recently his appearance in Ferguson, Missouri, helped calm a community that had been wracked with days of protests and sometimes violent clashes between police and residents enraged over the shooting death of a black man by a white officer.

In Washington, his clashes with Congress have been bitter, with many Democrats praising him for taking steps to advance Mr. Obama’s agenda and Republicans accusing him of ignoring or subverting the law.

Entire article below.

SEE ALSO: The injustice of Eric Holder
    Two years ago the House voted 255-67 — with 17 Democrats joining the GOP — to hold Mr. Holder in contempt of Congress for refusing to turn over documents from the Fast and Furious operation.

The House oversight committee had sought the documents, saying they would shed light on who knew about the botched operation, which saw federal agents knowingly let guns be sold to traffickers. Hundreds of those guns turned up at crime scenes in Mexico, and two were found at the site where U.S. Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry was killed in Arizona.

The Justice Department turned over documents related to the operation, but has refused to release documents showing the department’s own handling after a top official sent a letter saying agents never knowingly allowed guns to walk. The department later had to officially retract that claim.

Efforts to reach an agreement on sharing the documents failed, and the House GOP moved ahead with the contempt citation.

The Obama administration said it would not prosecute Mr. Holder because of a long-standing policy that it not pursue contempt cases against individuals when the White House has made a claim of executive privilege.

But in this case, that claim didn’t come until just days before the House vote, Mr. Fitton said.

“The dirty secret was that Obama swooped in and in an unprecedented way asserted executive privilege over these documents which the Justice Department used as an excuse not to prosecute him,” Mr. Fitton said.

After he leaves office, the fight over the documents will continue, but Mr. Holder himself is likely safe from any fallout, analysts said.

“The suit is in his official capacity so I think the new AG whoever that is will be substituted as defendant in the suit under Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. It should have no bearing on his departure or his life after his service as AG,” said Stanley M. Brand, a former general counsel to the House who specializes in defending witnesses facing government investigations.
    Story Continues →

Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Eric Holder is quitting to be nominated to the Supreme Court..... think about it.

If Rush Limbaugh’s Thoughts on Holder’s Resignation Turn out to be True, America is in Big Trouble

Posted by deacon303 on
    At least I’m not the only one thinking it.
    There have been calls for the ousting of Eric Holder, activist attorney general who operates more like Obama’s personal lawyer, from office for quite some time. His tenure has been plagued with scandal after scandal and Holder’s defiant attitude is not what one would expect from the man who is supposed to represent America and the constitutional best interests of American citizens. As the first sitting Attorney General to be held in contempt of Congress, Holder has obstructed justice and, when he sought to get justice, it was selectively applied depending upon ethnicity.
    By his own admission, he is an activist, even while occupying the position that leads the Department of Justice.
    The announcement of his resignation, which will officially take place as soon as his successor is found, came as a surprise to many. While some rejoiced, others speculated reasons for the decision to resign. Conservative talk radio icon Rush Limbaugh posed a possibility that should send chills down the spine of every single patriot loving America, especially those who may have been victims of the Obama regime’s targeting of private citizens using the IRS for simply having a different point of view politically, one grounded where theirs should be, in the Constitution.
    The Daily Caller’s Matt Lewis tweeted about Rush’s speculation as to why Holder would resign.
    “There may be a Supreme Court vacancy — and I can see Barack Obama nominating Eric Holder to fill it.” – Rush LImbaugh
    If Rush Limbaugh’s Thoughts on Holder’s Resignation Turn out to be True, America is in Big Trouble.
    Let’s face it… his resignation today was not a surprise. If you remember, he announced earlier this year that sometime in 2014 he was going to step down. He did it today. Why such a wait, why not just step down?
    And don’t forget, there has been a lot of pushing and pulling to get Ginsburg to retire.
    We cannot have Holder on the Supreme Court. Cannot. He would make a complete mockery out of it. His interpretation of the Constitution doesn’t match the interpretation of just about anyone else on Earth, and he’d be sitting there making decisions based off of that?
    We’d be screwed. That would be the end of the Constitution and, frankly, the USA as we know it. That cannot happen.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

‘Nightmare!’ See why this possible reason for Eric Holder resigning has people terrified

Posted at 8:50 pm on September 25, 2014 by Twitchy Staff | View Comments

• Share on Facebook

Gee, way to toss out that wet blanket as we celebrate Holder's departure! ;-) would be a nightmare scenario @brandingexpert @jasian12345

Gary Black (@GaryBlackal) September 25, 2014
    What would be a nightmare scenario? Oh, just this:
    .@jasian12345 Holder might be a great guy, but I'm glad he's leaving. Just hope he's not Obama's nomination to SCOTUS.
    — Rob Frankel (@brandingexpert) September 25, 2014
    Um, “great guy” nonsense aside … OMG the horror! Sshh! Don’t even joke about that.
    That Twitter user wasn’t alone.
    Seriously have a bad stomach pit about Supreme Court Justice Eric Holder.. Not even kidding.
    — S.M (@redsteeze) September 25, 2014
    Rush Limbaugh floated the horrifying idea as well.
    And Rush just went there…. #SCOTUS #Holder
    — S.M (@redsteeze) September 25, 2014
    @pambesteder Rush Limbaugh planted an ugly idea–Holder to take SCOTUS vacancy. Ugggh—what a nightmare that would be!
    — Mama Loie (@mamaloie) September 25, 2014
    Rush confirms my nightmare scenario: http://t.co/TLajjjkK9I
    — Richard L. Isaacs (@richisaacs) September 25, 2014
    NIGHTMARE SCENARIO➡: Limbaugh: Holder May Be Resigning So Obama Can Nominate Him For Supreme Court http://t.co/7f4ZCbtXjM via @DailyCaller
    — Jeni Anderson (@JustJeniA) September 25, 2014
    Citizens on Twitter had been fearing such a nightmare scenario since the resignation news broke.
    OMG. Just had a mini-nightmare. Please tell me Eric Holder couldn't end up on the Supreme Court!
    — Jane Pierotti (@JanePierotti) September 25, 2014
    Nightmare Scenario: Wanna bet Holder ends up as the replacement for Ginsberg on the Supreme Court? @NahBabyNah @matsmilehigh
    — Viv (@SaysViv) September 25, 2014
    @DefendWallSt @SooperMexican Nightmare: Holder resigns before dems lose senate so Ginsburg can step down & Holder moves to Sup.Ct. ��
    — Catherine Marshall (@mickeymyman) September 25, 2014
    Heaven help us. Scarier than @clairecmc as AG: Holder appointed to replace (maybe?) retiring R.B.G. on SCOTUS… @dloesch @ChrisLoesch
    — Virginia Kruta (@VAKruta) September 25, 2014
    Think about this! Holder stepping down..Another criminal will take his place… Obama nominates Holder for SCOTUS! Talk about nightmares!
    — Robin (@NiteOwl223) September 25, 2014
    With Holder resigning, look for 1 of the liberal Justices to step down very soon, and for Holder to be Obama's nominee to SCOTUS.
    — Prophetic Prepper (@PropheticPreppr) September 25, 2014
    Holder stepping down. Is his nomination to SCOTUS in our future? Must take Senate. Holder on SC would be a full-blown nightmare! ~cj
    — Not On This Watch (@NotOnThisWatch) September 25, 2014
    @michellemalkin the United States' next nightmare: Eric Holder for the Supreme Court. #EEK
    — don minnick (@ciphghost) September 25, 2014
    Breathe. Shakily. There’s this, though:
    Holder to SCOTUS is a joke. Not a chance in hell he could get confirmed. 1st justice under criminal contempt? Doubt it.
    — Matt (@mdrache) September 25, 2014
    Good point. But, it’s Washington, D.C. And, you know, the Obama administration. So, to be safe, let’s make sure of this:
    Any question about why we *must* take the Senate? MT @WashTimes: Limbaugh: Obama could nominate Holder for SCOTUS http://t.co/OxkSeHFr9p
    — Tammy Bruce (@HeyTammyBruce) September 25, 2014
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

So first SCOTUS, now Sandy Hook...

CRIME BEAT: Holder to Resign over Sandy Hook, Fast & Furious

Attorney General Eric Holder to Resign

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/attorney-general-eric-holder-resign/story?id=25752751

The typical Criminal Committee’s answer to “Mending Fences” Regime change, a Bush specialty when the heat is on and the crimes get beyond the management of a felon and traitor. The replacement has a clean slate and begins the process of continuity of crime and the global agenda.

FBI SAYS NO ONE KILLED AT SANDY HOOK

Agency publishes crime report showing “0” murders occurred in Newtown in 2012

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/8tabledatadecpdf/table-8-state-cuts/table_8_offenses_known_to_law_enforcement_by_conne cticut_by_city_2012.xls#disablemobile

I laugh at the whole enchilada of bogus beans they pumped out of the anus of crISIS management. We can enjoy the day but need to keep the heat up of spreading the truth. It’s going to drop like the Market today. The bomb of Bullshit will fly. We have the CDC Whistleblower THompson and the Sandy Hoax to hang our hats on but this is a mere tip of the enormous iceberg and as we know according to the criminal global committee that iceberg is melting due to AGW. Enjoy!

Share this:

Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information