Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer!

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

Default Re: Beer!

Rick, that was Oskar Blues in Longmont. It's a little farther away from my house than Echo, but just as good. The Echo Brewery was established only about a year ago.

Thanks

Ah, I'd forgotten the name of the place!

I had heard there was another brewery opening near my house, but the place everyone thought it was turned out to be an emergency room place. Not a brewery!
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Black IPAs are always an interesting surprise! Like you said MMCO, not a typical combination you see and they tend to pack a decent punch.

Last night I was watching some episodes of James May Drinks To Britain I had DVR'd last week and hadn't seen before. I watched an episode where they visit Westerham Brewery. Westerham claims to have cloned the closest match to Winston Churchill's favorite beer. I'll have to take a look at Party Source and Jungle Jim's to see if they carry any.

In a different episode I had already seen James and Oz Clark also interviewed the owners of BrewDog who make Punk IPA which the British government debated banning from shelves because the label "promoted anti-social behavior". I had caught that episode a while back and managed to find BrewDog at Party Source. Naturally if a government is looking to ban it I figured I needed to try it! It's been a while since I had it but I do remember it being a very hop heavy IPA.

Thanks

Omg!

brewdog who make punk ipa which the british government debated banning from shelves because the label "promoted anti-social behavior".
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Here's the episode...

Start at 6:43

They also make Tactical Nuclear Penguin which is an ungodly 32% ABV!

(By the way, I may have misspoke... It wasn't necessarily the British Government that wanted to ban it but on looking into it, a British trade group BrewDog is part of that wanted to prohibit it.)

Thanks

Trying a new one tonight from a local brewer, Quaff Brothers. The beer is Big Kahuna, described as "ale brewed with coconut and aged in bourbon barrels", which was just released.

Picked up a bomber of this Thursday, before it was supposed to officially be on sale thanks to a slip-up by the staff at Party Source.

No pictures because it is so new and I'm too beat to bother taking one of my own and no link to RateBeer because it hasn't even been posted there yet!

It poured a very dark brown with a very thin fizzy head that vanished pretty quickly. Nose is coconut, vanilla, and bourbon. Taste is coconut milk, bourbon, and alcohol, a very interesting and tasty combination! It doesn't say what it is but I believe this is about 9%-10% which is in line with some of the other Quaff Brothers offerings. It's a shame this is so limited release since I think I like this more thanks to the bourbon taste than the Kona Koko Brown.

I'd recommend picking some up but I'm doubtful you all could find any. Sorry!

Thanks

First up tonight is Left Hand's Good Juju.

Pours a clear golden color with a thin white, quickly vanishing head. Smells like lemon and lots of ginger. Taste is heavy ginger and some other spice while being thin and fizzy. Reminds me a bit of the Chinese I just ate! Overall, not great and not horrible. Personally just not very remarkable and I probably won't be drinking again but, feel free to give it a try for variety's sake.

Thanks

And the last tonight is Victory's Oak Horizontal.

Pours a hazy, medium brown with a decent head. Smell is definitely bourbon. Taste is barleywine, bourbon, oak, with a bit of bitterness. This is a thick and heavy beer!

It is an interesting combination that a lot of people seem to dig from the ratings but I'm not so sure. I definitely like bourbon and I like barleywines but the combination of the two just doesn't hit it off with me for some reason. Maybe it's just too bitter for the bourbon taste? It does appear to have a good reception with other people though so don't let my opinion drive anyone away from it.

Thanks

Tonight I'm having another brew from Southern Tier, Imperial Oat.

This poured very dark brown, almost black, with practically no head. Smell is chocolate and roasted malt. Taste is similar to the smell with oatmeal flavors. It is certainly thick and sweet. Minimal bitterness. Even though this is 11%, you don't notice it except the warming aftertaste.

Not great enough to go on my "favorites" list but it is most definitely another good, solid beer from Southern Tier!

Thanks

Another reason to move to Texas?

Beer, TX

Blogging brew with Ronnie Crocker

Texas beer bills headed for critical vote Friday

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

(Chronicle file)

The package of legislation that would significantly alter how beer is packaged and sold in Texas is scheduled for a full House vote on Friday.

If it passes, the bill heads to Gov. Rick Perry for his signature. Rick Donley, president of the Beer Alliance of Texas and a vocal supporter of the bills, said members of the governor’s staff attended certain meetings during the year-long, pre-session process of crafting the legislation and hammering out compromises among various interest groups. The office is up to date on what the bills would do.

The bills, which would represent the most significant legislation affecting beer sales in 20 years, involve some strong compromises, but are seen by most craft brewers as a significant boost to their business.

Friday’s scheduled vote brought a quick plea from Saint Arnold owner Brock Wagner, urging craft-beer fans to contact their state representatives – not senators, who already approved the bills – to voice support.
    Here’s the missive:
    We have a negotiated package of five bills (the craft brewery bills SB 515-518, SB 639) with agreement between craft breweries (both shipping breweries and brewpubs), beer distributors, consumers and even ABInBev. The bills are stapled together so all five have to pass in order for any of them to become law. Here is the summary of what they do:

• Grant Texas packaging breweries the right to sell their products directly to consumers for on-premise consumption (SB 518).
    • Grant Texas brewpubs the right to sell their beer to distributors and allow for limited self-distribution (SB 515).
    • Adjust Texas small brewers self-distribution limits to lower how much a brewery may self-distribute but increases the size of brewery that can self-distribute (SB 516-17).
    • Codify the rule against “reach-back pricing”, prohibit distributors from making payment to breweries in exchange for territorial exclusivity and codify certain contractual relationships between breweries and distributors (SB 639).

We ask that you please email your Texas House Representative and ask them to vote FOR the entire package of craft brewery bills SB 515, 516, 517, 518 & 639.

All five bills must pass or else all five die.

Don’t know who your Representative is? Follow this link to find out.
    Typically there is a link you can click on that takes you to the representative’s home page where you can usually find an email link.

Your note doesn’t have to be long. Just tell them you are a constituent in his/her district, you care about this issue and that you ask that they vote for these bills.

(Please do not contact your senator – they’ve already done their good work.)
    Join Beer, TX on Facebook at facebook.com/rcrocker.beertx or follow me on Twitter: @rcrocker. I’m also on Google+.
    “Houston Beer: A Heady History of Brewing in the Bayou City” is available in bookstores and in e-book format. Find out about signings and other events at facebook.com/HoustonBeerBook.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I lied in Aramus' thread... I didn't skip a beer run! Picked up several from Jungle Jim's when I was out tonight. It didn't help my youngest brother was with me saying, "That looks good, you should get that."

Tonight I spotted a couple new ones from Brewdog in the "Import" section I hadn't seen before. Tonight I'm having Dogma.

It poured with a big, fluffy, brown head that diminished to a medium head which took a long time to dissipate completely. The beer itself was a very dark brown. This is apparently a new recipe of Dogma that is darker than the old one. Smell is roasted malts, a little coffee, and maybe some nuttiness. Taste is definitely coffee, a little chocolate, and some honey. Fairly sweet overall and despite the big head, not all that carbonated. I thought it tasted more like a coffee stout than a Scotch ale.

Thanks

Another brew from Southern Tier tonight. This one is Plum Noir.

This poured a red-brown with a moderate, dark tan head. I don't know if it's because I was dealing with a lot of bleach today (cleaning!) but I'm not picking up much of a scent except a little coffee and slight plum. Taste is chocolate with bitterness and a bit of sweetness with a faint plum flavor, far less than the name would lead you to believe.

Not bad but fairly unremarkable. Meh.

Thanks

It's not that difficult to twist most of our arms to "have a beer" lol
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

For Ryan... and the rest of us beer drinkers out here....

Regular Intake of Coffee Associated with Lower Risk of Detrimental Liver Disease

Benita Matilda
    First Posted: May 20, 2013 04:46 AM EDT

A new study had discovered one such interesting health benefit offered by regular intake of coffee, i.e. it reduces risk of primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC). (Photo : Reuters)

In recent years, several studies have been conducted to analyze the effects of coffee on several aspects of health, and most often the results have been interesting. A new study has discovered one such health benefit offered by regular intake of coffee: it reduces the risk of primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC), a detrimental liver disease.

According to new research by Mayo Clinic, regular intake of coffee lowers the risk of PSC, an autoimmune liver disease. The study findings have been presented at the Digestive Disease Week 2013 conference that was held at Orlando, Fla.

"While rare, PSC has extremely detrimental effects," study author Craig Lammert, M.D., a Mayo Clinic gastroenterologist, said in a press statement. "We're always looking for ways to mitigate risk, and our first-time finding points to a novel environmental factor that also might help us to determine the cause of this and other devastating autoimmune diseases."

PCS is a disease of the bile duct that triggers inflammation and subsequent obstruction of the ducts, and this finally leads to cirrhosis of the liver, liver failure and biliary cancer.

To prove their finding, the study researchers examined a large group of patients who had PSC and primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC) along with a group of healthy patients. On analyzing the data, they learnt that intake of coffee was linked to a reduced risk of PSC. When compared to healthy people, patients suffering from PSC were not likely to consume coffee. The PSC patients spent 20 percent less time regularly drinking coffee than the healthy group.

From the study, researchers deduce that both PSC and PBS differ from each more than originally thought.

"Moving forward, we can look at what this finding might tell us about the causes of these diseases and how to better treat them," Konstantinos Lazaridis, M.D., a Mayo Clinic hepatologist and senior study author, says.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Ok... kinda anyway
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Coffee fueled, beer cooled!

So what does this mean for coffee stouts?

Thanks

Immunity to liver problems?

LOL
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I forgot to post about one I had earlier this week, Brewdog's Hardcore IPA.

This one poured a hazy copper color with a fluffy off-white head. Smell is strong hops and citrus. The taste is definitely hardcore (150 IBU!)! Very hoppy and bitter at first but quickly tamed with a caramel sweetness. I'm not a big fan of highly bitter beers but this one is a thoroughly fascinating taste experience!

Thanks

Right now I'm enjoying Brooklyn Brewery's Silver Anniversary Lager.

It poured a deep copper color with a big, white head that faded quickly. Aroma of earthy hops and malt. Taste is mild citrus, spice, a little sweet, and slightly bitter. This one is pretty hoppy for a dopplebock. Can't say I've had one that tastes like this before.

Thanks

Tonight I'm re-watching HBO's John Adams mini-series (my second favorite of their mini-series behind Band Of Brothers) and decided to open up a bottle of Ommegang's Gnomegang, a collaboration between Ommegang and the Belgian Achouffe Brewery (Brasserie d’Achouffe).

This beer pours hazy gold with a big white head that took its time to fade. Aroma of lemon, herbs, and spice. Taste is a lot of the same with a heavy emphasis on the spice. This claims to be a Blonde Ale on the label but it sure tasted more like a Belgian Ale to me. Very tasty though and a decently robust 9.5%.

Thread Information