Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Beer!

Next up is another brew from local brewer, Rhinegeist. This one is their Gramps American Barleywine.

A bold, bright and hoppy American Barleywine Ale with rich malty notes of berry, grape and graham.
    Poured a deep copper into a Snifter with a small off-white head. A lot of sweet berry in the nose. Berry in the taste too. A little citrus hop flavor to go along with it. Slightly bitter but not overly. I did get a very little graham, some more might have been more interesting. A bit of alcohol warmth. Medium body with 8.2% ABV. Very smooth drinking. This is pretty good! Nice job Rhinegeist!

Thanks

Opened up a new bottle from Prairie called 'Merica.

Poured a hazy, dirty gold into a Tulip glass with a big white head that faded slowly. Smells quite funky, bordering on offensive. Almost like stale urine. Hope it tastes better than it smells. And... It doesn't. I like a funky beer but, this is just not a well done funky beer. Sorry. Some bitter hop and spice but the nasty funkiness overshadows it all. I'd swear I'm drinking barn stall floor hose down water. Body is medium and very carbonated. 7.5% ABV. Not sure why in the hell this has a 99% on RateBeer. This one is just not good at all. Prairie, you've made some real great brews but this one sucks. You should definitely skip this one unless you just want the bottle. No idea why they'd call this one 'Merica since it does a disservice to the name.

Thanks

Moving on from that huge disappointment from Prairie...

Next up is a brew from those awesome guys at Brew Dog called Cocoa Psycho.

A 10% decadent and indulgent Imperial Russian Stout. Brewed with a copious amount of dark malts, infused with coffee beans during the boil and after fermentation and aged on cacao nibs, vanilla pods and toasted oak chips. This opulent whirl of chocolate, coffee, dark malts and hops even rivals the most colourful of imperial Faberge eggs. Originally created to celebrate the Russian Royal Family, this is a fitting tribute with which to toast your own empire.
    Poured a deep, dark, inky black with a deep brown and thin head into a Snifter. A rich and inviting cocoa scent with a little coffee and oak. Big toasted, malt chocolate flavor that has a touch of bitterness. The body on this is massive and thick. A rather understated 10% ABV which adds a slight warmth. This is very much a sipping beer. So good on every level! Brew Dog did a stupendous job with this one! Completely erases that crap I drank before. And this only gets better as it warms up.

Thanks

I had first heard about tonight's beer a couple months ago and finally just found it on shelves a couple days ago.

It is Rogue's Sriracha Hot Stout.

Rogue Sriracha Hot Stout Beer, made from Huy Fong original hot chili sauce and sun ripened Rogue Farms ingredients, is ready to drink with soups, sauces, pasta, pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, chow mein, or anything you’d like to wash down with a spicy kick.
    Poured deep brown, pretty much black, into a Shaker with a good sized light brown head. Smells like roasted malt chocolate and deep smokiness. Slight peppery spice to the smell. Big smoke taste up front followed up with roasted chocolate and slightly bitter coffee. The spiciness comes last and gets you on the lips and in the throat. Not at all super spicy but quite enough to get your attention. Body is slick and oily. Just 5.7%. A pretty tasty pepper beer though!

Thanks

Doing another one tonight. This time it's a brew from Clown Shoes, their The Peace Money Can't Buy.

We’ve been making beer for five years. There have been a few challenges, but here we are. This bourbon barrel aged Belgian Style Quadrupel Ale commemorates our anniversary, even as we look to the future and know that we cannot rest. Please join us as we work for and search for the kind of peace in life that money can’t buy.
    Poured a deep copper-brown into a Trappist Glass with a very thin khaki head. Has sweet, dark fruit, oak, and a bit of alcohol on the nose. For the taste I get a tart cherry flavor, oaky vanilla, and astringent booze. This improves even more as it warms up. The tastes are all quite pungent with none more overwhelming than the other. This is very in your face with the flavor and alcohol. No surprise as this comes in at 11.5%. Body is moderate. I like the bold flavors on this one!

Thanks

Having a bottle of Rogue Farms Fresh Roast Ale.

Rogue Fresh Roast is made with Rogue Farms barley fresh roasted at the brewery. The barley is taken directly out of the roaster and rushed 273 feet over to the brew kettle. We don’t think it gets much fresher than that, and we know you’ll taste the difference.
    Poured a very dark brown into a Shaker with a medium sized brown head that's a bit persistent. Aroma is light but smells of malt chocolate and a little coffee. Flavor is much stronger than the smell. Tastes of roasted malt, a little sweet chocolate, some bitter coffee, and a bit of nuttiness. The bitterness is up front and doesn't last. Has a medium body and 5.7% ABV. Tastes good and is very easy drinking!

Thanks

Next up tonight is Founder's Blushing Monk

Blushing Monk is brewed with a ridiculous amount of raspberries and with a Belgian yeast strain that keeps our head cellar operator from sleeping for a week. It pours a stunning deep berry red and, at 9.2% ABV, has a surprising kick. The perfect dessert beer, it can be enjoyed on its own or paired with fresh cheeses, fruit, cakes and more.

First released in July 2011, rereleased in 2015.
    Poured a blood red into a Shaker with a moderate pink head. Smells heavily of raspberry and malt. Taste is very sweet raspberries with a slight, tasty, sour funkiness. Body is on the light-medium side and dry. The 9.2% is only partially hidden. This is a short review because this is a fairly simple brew but, it is damn tasty!

Thanks

Tonight I'm having a local brew. Ended up having to get a growler of this because they were all sold out of the individual bottles.

This is Listermann's Nutcase Peanut Butter & Raspberry Jam Porter.

This one is a twist on their regular Nutcase Porter which I will be reviewing soon. I'm just reviewing this first since it is in a growler and will go flat sooner.

Poured a deep brown, black really, into a Shaker glass with a light brown medium head that didn't last. Smells heavily of peanut butter, cocoa, and a hint of raspberry. This pretty much tastes a lot like it smells. Peanut butter dominates with slightly tart raspberry following up. Less cocoa in the taste than the smell though which is probably a good thing since this is supposed to be peanut butter and raspberry jam! Comes in at 6.7% ABV with a medium body with a somewhat dry finish. This is a really damn good beer! Listermann did a stellar job bringing the two flavors together!

Thanks

Trying one I just recently picked up, Abita's Macchiato Espresso Milk Stout

Macchiato is made with pale, caramel, chocolate, and roasted malts. Oats and lactose are added to give the beer a more robust and sweeter taste. The sweetness of the lactose helps balance the bitterness of the brew just like in the coffee drink, which is our inspiration. The roasted malts give the beer its dark color as well as its intense flavor and aroma. Willamette hops are added to balance out the sweetness of the malts. Finally, PJ’s Coffee espresso dolce beans are added to the aging tank. This gives the beer a strong coffee flavor and aroma that compliments the existing flavors of the malt.
    Poured a very dark brown into an English Pint with a huge, light brown head that is highly persistent. Very pungent, dark roast coffee scent that dominates. Just a touch of caramel in there as well. Taste is largely roasted espresso with mocha and cream flavors. Fairly sweet with just a little bit of coffee bitterness. Has 6% ABV and a medium body. This is very tasty if you like coffee beers! Basically like drinking alcoholic coffee without the caffeine. Well done Abitia!

Thanks

Geez, Ryan...

I wish I could have a beer. LOL

I've been avoiding it all (pain meds, lots of ibuprofen, and other meds, and a significant amount of pain preventing me from even eating most of the time).

That stuff looks GOOD lol
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Just doing one review tonight.

This one is Ommegang's latest release in their Game of Thrones series, Three-Eyed Raven.

Getting this one was not nearly as harrowing a tale as the Valar Morghulis.

Three-Eyed Raven harbors a deep dark brown, almost jet-black color with a light tan head. Yeast forward aromas are packed with peppery phenolics and fruity esters. Despite what you might expect from a dark hued beer, the flavor brings to mind a traditional saison: a light, malty body with a hint of sweetness, and roast accentuated by herbal and spicy hops, yet underpinned by pleasant yeastiness. Finish is crisp, with lingering notes of herbal hops and Belgian yeast.

Malt: Our carefully crafted mixture of specialty malts.
    Sugar: Dark Candi
    Hops: Hallertau Spalt Select, Tettenang and Bravo
    Spices: None
    ABV: 7.2%
    Available on draft and in 750ml bottles.

Pair with roasted chicken and pork, barbeque and other spicy dishes, grilled vegetables, goat cheese and smoked gouda.
    As the description states, it's a deep brown and has a light tan, very substantial and persistent head. Poured into a Tulip glass. A very pleasant smelling Belgian spice scent along with a little malt and yeast. There's the obvious Belgian spice of a Saison in the taste as well as some sweet maltiness, a little banana, and some funky tartness. Very carbonated body, maybe a little too much in my opinion. A dry finish. 7.2% ABV. Not bad, not bad at all. A pretty good Saison!

Thanks

Just one review tonight as well.

This is another for local-to-me brewer Rhinegeist. I'm having their limited release Mastodon Belgian-styled Dark Ale.

Notes of white pepper, banana, peach & apricot fuel this primordial beast of a Belgian-Styled Dark Ale.
    Poured a darkish brown into a Trappist Glass with a very minimal khaki head. The sweet peach and apricot are fairly prominent in the aroma. A lot of sweet malt in the taste. Noticeable caramel and some Belgian funk. The peach and apricot also come through as well. Not sure what white pepper tastes like so I couldn't tell you if I'm tasting it. Very boozy with a nice warming on the finish. Medium body with 10% ABV. This is a great beer from Rhinegeist! Really like this one!

Thanks

Tonight I'm having a beer from Jackie O's I picked up a little while back.

This is their Paw Paw Wheat.

The paw paw fruit is something we take great pride in. The Native fruit of Ohio and one that flourishes here in Athens. A tropical fruit tree that grows in in a temperate climate and produces a one of a kind experience. Flavors of mango, banana, and a touch of melon.

In 2003, our good friend Kelly Sauber brewed the first paw paw beer utilizing locally harvested paw paw fruit from Integration Acres. We are now very proud to bring Paw Paw Wheat back and to you all!
    Poured a solid gold into a Shaker glass with a very minimal white head which didn't last at all. Smells of banana, wheat, malt, and what I imagine is paw paw fruit. I've never had one so I really have no idea! Quite a pleasant, light, and tropical scent! Taste is much like the smell. Fairly sweet and surprisingly thick. Packs a whopping 9% ABV, probably one of the highest test wheats I've had. A bit bubbly. Easily drinkable which, combined with the 9%, could make this dangerous!

Thanks

Doing a fresh review tonight on brew I had quite a while ago, before I started doing these on here in fact.

It's another from local brewer Listermann, Friar Bacon Smoked Bock.

Unfortunately, no actual bacon contained in this beer.

Poured a golden brown into a Lager glass with a medium light brown head that receded to a thin topping. A big, awesome maple smoked bacon scent! Definitely tastes like smoked bacon! A bit of sweet brown sugar and roasted malt. You also get a bit of the 8% ABV in the flavor. Body is thinnish with decent carbonation. A great example of a smoked beer with the awesomeness of bacon flavor to go with it.

Thanks

Tonight is rare beer night and it is a collaboration brew.

Developed by the joint efforts of Brew Dog, Mikkeller, and Nøgne Ø (don't ask me how to pronounce that, I have no idea) is Horizon Tokyo Black.

(Yes, the bottle comes in a box! )

All 3 breweries have brewed this on their own so there's technically 3 versions of this. The one I have, the only one I've seen, was brewed at Nøgne Ø.

On a cold, windy and rainy day in 2010 we visited Brew Dog together with world famous beer merchant Mikkeller. We brewed an interpolation between our individual brews Tokyo, Black and Dark Horizon. Now it is time to make the second celebration of this great collaboration: Please welcome Tokyo Horizon Black!
    This bottle is a bit smaller than your typical 12oz at 8.5ozs. Poured inky black into a snifter with a thin, tan head. Allowed to warm up a bit. The smell is very inviting with scents of dark fruit, smokey chocolate, roasted malt, bourbon, and alcohol. The taste is a lot like the smell. Also fairly sweet and rich. Very complex. It is hard to believe this is a whopping 16% ABV since it is so very smooth. It leaves a lingering warming which works out quite well with this unseasonable cold we're having right now. The body on this is decidedly heavy. An excellent, high end brew!

Thanks

Tonight to go with my wings from earlier I'm having yet another Rhinegeist brew!

This one is Equinox, a fairly new and limited release American Pale Ale.

Pale Ale brewed with Equinox hops for an intense bouquet of papaya, apple, key lime and bell pepper.
    Poured a light, clear gold into a Shaker with a big, fluffy white head that is very long lasting. Smells of citrus and tropical fruit hops. The bell pepper comes out nicely in the taste! Interesting taste to find in a beer. A bit herbal and only very, very slightly bitter. Didn't get the fruit described on the label though. Otherwise fairly crisp and light bodied. An average 5% ABV. Not bad! Would be a good barbecue beer in the middle of Summer.

Thanks

Tonight I am thrilled to be opening the next in Bell's Planets series thanks to a most helpful ARFCOMmer in Michigan!

This release is Saturn - The Bringer Of Old Age.

The fifth release in the Bell’s Planets Series is strong, robust and complex. Saturn is a bourbon barrel aged barleywine loaded with notes of toffee, caramel, oak and vanilla that finishes with a warming touch. The first beer brewed for this series, Saturn has been aging in casks since July 2014. True to its name, this beer is well suited for vintage aging.
    I'm going to start my review with the caveat that my allergies have been killing me recently so my analysis of this brew might not be up to snuff but hopefully I do it justice.

Poured a deep amber-red into a Snifter with the thinnest of white heads. Very strong, awesome oakey bourbon notes. I also get a sweet smell that I thought might have been honey at first but, since I can't trust my nose, in checking the reviews at RateBeer appears to be more like toffee. Some malts and a little booziness to round it off. There is a definite bourbon flavor with caramel and malt. An ever so slight bitterness is there. This is a hefty 11.5% ABV but you don't notice it until the warming follow-up. Body is medium with a dry finish. A most excellent barleywine! I really like this and can't wait to try another when my smell and taste aren't handicapped.

Gustav Holst's Saturn to go along with this review:

Thanks

I just opened up a semi-limited release from local brewer Christian Moerlein. I call it semi-limited because I've seen it all over town but they probably don't intend to keep it as a regular offering.

This is their Handlebar Double Stout.

Strength, Distinction, Ingenuity, Pride. These are words that describe the innovative Machine Age of our nation’s history. They describe the men and women who made today possible; but perhaps most importantly, they describe Christian Moerlein Handlebar Double Stout, a strong and distinct stout that boasts an ingenious blend of dark roasted malts and a balancing blend of hops. Handlebar is a celebration of these four things. You are about to become part of what made today possible: Be Strong. Be Distinct. Be Ingenious. Be Proud.
    Poured from the can into a Snifter a deep, opaque brown with a thin-medium khaki head. A very rich roasted malt and coffee nose with a little bit of chocolate. The nose carries through to the taste with bitter, roasted coffee. Quite a bit bitter, in fact, but also a little sweet. Body is on the thicker side and this boasts an 8.4% ABV. Not bad at all but more bitter than I prefer my Stouts.

Thanks

Next up tonight is one from world famous Brew Dog!

This is their Libertine Black Ale.

Libertine Black Ale is a 7.2% wickedly decadent black beast of a beer that has been hammered with the epic Simcoe hop. With a drinkability that defies its colour and depth of flavour, Libertine delivers a dark hop bomb combining the west coast hop awesomeness of an IPA, the dark and indulgent malt flavours of big stout with a lightness on the palate that bellies the punch that this beer packs. Bags of flavour and loads of hops. We intend to bottle some of this batch for those not lucky enough to make it to a BrewDog Bar to try it. ABV from 7% to 7.2%.
    Poured near black into a Tulip glass with a moderate brown head. A sweet, fruity hop aroma and a little bit of alcohol. Taste is roasted malts, slight piney hops, maybe a little berry. A touch bitter but not overbearing. Not overly bold in the flavor department. Body is a bit watery and thin. Surprisingly, this does not come across as being 7.2%. Not an Earth shattering beer but decently good.

Thanks

What about Christian Morefat's stuff? lol

(The name cracked me up).
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread Information