Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Beer!

We had the heat index hit 121 here today according to my weather station.

Definitely going light on tonight's beer.

Founders Más Agave

Poured a copper gold into a Shaker with a large golden head. Smells of lime, agave, and malt. Smells like a margarita! Tastes just like a malty margarita! Lots of lime, tequila, a little salt, and malt. Perfect brew for this hot weather!

Thanks

Wrapping up the week with a brew from Country Boy Brewing in Gerogetown, KY that a friend was nice enough to bring up when we met up to swap truck parts.

I can get Country Boy local at Jungle Jim's but not this one.

This one is their Coconut Hefe.

Poured a hazy, bright gold into a Shaker with a moderate white head. I get a good bit of lemon, wheat, and malt in the smell. Taste is a lot of the same with only a little coconut. Light-medium bodied with a 4.3% ABV. A decent drinking brew for a hot day. Could stand to punch up the coconut a bit more but, that seems to be a problem with most coconut brews.

Thanks

Chilling tonight with another 10w-40 from Hi-Wire. This time it's their Palo Santo 10w-40.

Imperial Stout brewed with coffee, chocolate, vanilla and lactose. Aged on Palo Santo wood.
    Allowed to warm a bit. Poured black into a Snifter with a moderate sized, khaki colored head. Smells of cocoa, roasted malt, coffee, and a slight lactose/vanilla. Tastes of chocolate, slightly bitter coffee, lactose, and has a slight woody note underneath. Smooth and heavy bodied with an 8% ABV. Nice brew that goes quite well with a steak!

Thanks

Enjoying a new Clown Shoes brew tonight. This is their The Exercising of Baxter Imperial Stout.

Ingredients: Black, oat, and chocolate malts, lactose, aged in rum and port barrels

For years we’ve been banishing evil through our “Exorcism” series. But we decided that for the next beer in the series, what Baxter really needs is some exercise. The Exercising of Baxter is an American Imperial Stout aged in Rum and Port barrels. Notes of dark chocolate and aged fruit blend with rich flavors of roasted malt.
    Poured black into a Snifter with a medium sized, light brown head. Allowed to warm some. Has a very nice scent of cocoa, roasted malt, oak, dark fruit, and a touch of rum. The taste is cocoa, lactose, brown sugar, oak, a little port, and a little rum booziness. Heavy bodied with a matching 11% ABV. Another great brew from Clown Shoes!

Thanks

It's been a long day and I'm just now finally getting to actually kick back.

And I'm going to kick back with the 2019 edition of Stone's w00tstout!

This massive imperial stout has been a favorite among our fans (and us) since its inception in 2013. As if the pecans, wheat and flaked rye weren't enough, we went ahead and aged 1/4th of this beer in bourbon barrels. The result is a whopping, intense, superhero of a beer with profound complexity that makes it ideal for cellaring... if you can wait that long.

ABV: 11.5%

Special Ingredients: Pecans, wheat & flaked rye
    Poured deep black into a Snifter with a medium sized, dark brown head. Allowed to warm a little. Has a rich aroma of chocolate, pecans, oak, roasted malt, and a bit of bourbon. All of the smells come through in the flavor quite nicely maybe with a touch of coffee added. Body is fairly heavy but with a little bit of carbonation. Has a nice 11% ABV. Once again, w00tstout does not disappoint!

Thanks

Opening up a 4 pack I picked up not too long ago. It's a collaboration pack to commemorate the 10th Anniversary of Sun King Brewing out of Indy. Haven't had anything from Sun King before.

https://www.indystar.com/story/enter...rs/1100740001/

All "10-4 Good Buddy" beer is being brewed and canned in Indianapolis. About 8,400 four-packs will be available for purchase.

Each package will include one 16-ounce can of:

Maximum Overdrive, a collaboration with 3 Floyds Brewing. This Baltic porter follows a teamwork tradition that began in 2011 with 3 Kings American Pale Ale, a beer Sun King and 3 Floyds made together to raise awareness of the companies' lobbying efforts to raise the number of barrels an Indiana brewery is allowed to produce while operating a tasting room or brewpub. "We’ve changed multiple laws with 3 Floyds," Robinson said. Munster-based 3 Floyds, founded in 1996, produces more than 60,000 barrels of beer per year.

Hoppiness Jones, a collaboration with Cincinnati-based Rhinegeist. This IPA was aged in tequila and pinot noir barrels, and infused with hibiscus. Rhinegeist's head brewer, Jim Matt, was one of Sun King's first 20 employees before he moved to Cincinnati. "Dave and I met the founders of Rhinegeist, who said, 'We’re starting a brewery in Cincinnati,' " Robinson said. "We asked, 'Who’s your brewer?' 'I don’t know.' 'You need to meet our friend, Jim.' " Rhinegeist, founded in 2013, produced 100,000 barrels of beer in 2018.

Highway Queen, a collaboration with Tampa-based Cigar City Brewing. This sour golden ale featuring Zinfandel grapes, sour cherries, and raspberries was aged on oak. Joe Burns, Sun King's vice president of sales, is an Indiana University alum who previously worked as Cigar City's national sales manager. Cigar City, founded in 2007, produces 140,000 barrels of beer per year.

Collabergé, a collaboration with Austin Beerworks. This imperial brut IPA is described by Colt as being "extremely dry (with) not a lot of residual sweetness." The Collabergé name is a riff on a cologne favored by Elvis Presley: Brut by Fabergé. Robinson described the managers of Sun King and Austin Beerworks as being kindred spirits. "They started a few years after us," Robinson said, "but they grew pretty rapidly and have the same focus on quality and they self-distribute. We self-distributed for a long period of time." Texas-based Austin Beerworks, founded in 2011, produces more than 20,000 barrels of beer per year.
    Going to start out with Maximum Overdrive.

Poured very deep brown into a Shaker with a medium copper-brown head. The nose is a bit faint on this but I get a little chocolate, roasted malts, and some floral hops. Flavor of semi-sweet cocoa, roasted grain, and light hop bitterness. Body is medium-thin and a 7% ABV. Far hoppier than I expected for a Baltic Porter. Interesting... I don't dislike it but, wouldn't drink it regularly. Worth a try for something different.

Thanks

Going to dig into Hoppiness Jones from the collab pack next!

Poured deep amber into a Shaker with a small, off white head. Very distinct pinot noir and hibiscus smell with a hint of tequila along with some biscuity malts and floral hops. Citrus hop flavors accompanied by a little biscuit malt and pinot noir. Moderately bitter but it's short lived. Taste is a bit different from the smell. Medium bodied with an 8% ABV. More bitter than I typically prefer but, strangely drinkable.

Thanks

A late review but it's been a long day. Finally getting to unwind and doing so with a fine Clown Shoes brew! This time it's their Loonidragon 2019 Russian Imperial Stout.

Russian Imperial Stout Aged in Bourbon Barrels 11%
    Available: May 2019

Ingredients: All-natural Coconut Flavor

When the Unidragons ranged far north, they took on an altogether different nature. They demurred, they settled down and made of all things: nests! But one look in their eyes will tell you that beastly flame still rages within. Loonidragon is a Russian Imperial Stout aged in Bourbon Barrels, featuring the dark malt flavors and full-bodied richness association with our Unidragon series. Additions of all-natural coconut flavor provides for a sweet and smooth unique profile.

Formats: 22oz bottle, 1/6bbl keg

Distribution: National
    Poured pitch black into a Snifter with a small, dark brown head. Allowed to warm some. Smells of coffee, roasted malt, oak, chocolate, and some alcohol. Flavor is coffee and charred oak which give it a mellow bitterness, along with roasted malts and chocolate. The coconut comes through just enough in the flavor to let you know it's there but not enough to make this an official coconut flavored beer. Body is heavy to match the 11% ABV. As with most every Clown Shoes brew, I like it!

Thanks

Going local while watching tonight's episode of Live PD.

Another brew from Streetside. This one came highly recommended by a friend who got me a growler of it on their canning day yesterday.

This is their Return Of The Mac Coffee Blonde.

Dripping in aromatics of coconut, honey, and fresh vanilla, blended together in a fresh cup of your favorite morning coffee, this coffee blonde showcases the best of beer and coffee with a silky body and luscious caramel creme flavors. Undercurrents of coconut cream pie and toasted pie crust make this a 5% banger not to be trifled with.
    I've had coffee stouts and I've had blonde stouts but not a blond coffee stout.

Poured dark gold into a Shaker with a medium sized, white head. Very rich roast coffee scent with a bit of caramel and vanilla. Smells really good! The flavor is medium roast coffee, vanilla, coconut, and malt. Body is light-medium and this comes in at 5.5% ABV. A very tasty brew! Good thing I've got a whole growler of this!

Thanks

Going local for tonight's beer with a brew from Christian Moerlein to celebrate the annual Cincinnati Glier's Goettafest.

Some background on how it came to be: https://www.thegnarlygnome.com/2019/...ts-cincinnati/

Poured light, clear gold into a Shaker glass with a medium sized, white head. The nose is a bit weak but I get toasted malt and grain, maybe a touch of honey. The taste doesn't have much of the smoked malt it advertises but I do taste roasted oats, a little peppercorn, and a very slight salty note. Light-medium bodied with a decent bit of carbonation and 4.5% ABV. Solid drinking brew, good for kicking back on a Friday night and watching Live PD!

Thanks

New beer night tonight!

Picked up a new brew from Rogue called Combat Wombat an interesting sounding Sour/IPA fusion.

Weird & wonderful fusion of hazy IPA and sour ale brewed with grapefruit and blood orange, then dry-hopped with Australian hops.

Ingredients: 2-row & Acidulated Malts; Wheat, Oats, Lactose; Grapefruit, Blood Orange; Citra, BRU-1, Vic Secret & Galaxy Hops; Imperial Barbarian Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water.

AWARDS
    2018: Best of NW/Pacific Region - United States Beer Tasting Championship
    Poured a clear, dark gold into a Snifter with a large, white head. Has an interesting tart, fruity citrus scent. Flavor is definitely tart. Surprisingly malt forward with citrus hop taste. Basically no bitterness. Body is surprisingly thick. ABV weighs in at a solid 7.2%. I wasn't sure what to expect with this brew being an IPA/Sour combo but I definitely like it!

Thanks

Today was the 2019 Cincinnati Comic Expo which I will be posting about. Fun day but with the time constraints of photo ops and signatures, it was a bit stressful.

Time to kick back with a nice brew to unwind!

Since it's the Cincy Comic Expo, it's a good opportunity to go local with something from Listermann they released a couple weeks ago - International Dog Day New England IPA

Poured a light and hazy gold with a large, foamy white head. A strong tropical fruit aroma, maybe a little bit of bready malt, not much else. Flavors of tropical fruit and citrus hops and bready malt. Very minimal bitterness thanks to being an NE IPA. Fairly heavy body with a nice 6.6% ABV. An uncomplicated and easy drinking IPA! Good stuff!

Thanks

Going with a brew from Southern Tier tonight. Been a bit since I've had anything from them.

This is their Nitro Chocolate Milkshake Imperial Milk Stout

Southern Tier's Blackwater Series now offers a next-level drinking experience with its newest launch, Nitro Chocolate Milkshake. Using nitro capabilities with smooth chocolate, vanilla profile with a hint of Himalayan sea salt, this brew offers cascading, creamy richness that is a step above traditional imperial stouts.
    Poured pitch black into a Snifter with a big, nitro fueled light tan head. Has a rich chocolate malt and lactose scent. Quite milkshake-y! Big chocolate malt and lactose flavors. That's really all there is to it, just like a milkshake. Thick and creamy body. Has a 10% ABV you cannot taste at all so makes for a drink that will definitely sneak up on you. Really damn tasty!

Thanks

Since Fear The Walking Dead just wrapped up its recent season, I thought it was time to dig into a pack of beer I got special order earlier this year.

It's a 6 pack of Augie's Ale brewed by Wicked Weed.

This farmhouse ale is delicate in body, while boasting flavors and aromas of grapefruit, blood orange, and agave. The spice of the agave mellows out the citrus punch and compliments the creamy mouthfeel from the flaked oats. Refreshing and crisp, this delicately hazy brew is a perfect pour for both the dead and the living.
    Poured a medium, hazy gold into a Tulip glass with a medium sized white head. Sweet citrus and tropical fruit smell with biscuit malt and a little bit of spice, slightly funky. Definite spice and citrus orange flavors with malt following. The body is medium and carbonated with a 5.2% ABV. Easy drinking, not bad. Nothing overly special except the packaging and show tie in.

Thanks

Going local tonight on this rather chilly fall evening with an Oktoberfest brew from Listermann called Festbier.

Poured clear, amber into a Shaker with a medium sized golden-white head. Has a roasted and caramel malt smell. Tastes of caramel malt, biscuit, and a slight hoppiness on the end. Medium bodied and a nice 6.8% ABV. Tasty Oktoberfest brew!

Thanks

Having another Listermann brew tonight!

This is their USS Cincinnati NE IPA to commemorate the commissioning of LCS-20 USS Cincinnati on October 9th.

Poured a very light, hazy gold into a Tulip with a medium sized white head. Big citrus hop scent with a bit of doughy malt. Citrus hops with slight bitterness in the taste and more malt than the smell lets on to. A little more bitter than I prefer for an NE IPA. Medium bodied with a 6.6% ABV. Pretty decent NE IPA but like I said, a tad more bitter than I like to see them.

Thanks

Tis the season for pumpkin beer and I'm going to kick it off with a release from Clown Shoes - Gordo Imperial Pumpkin Stout

Ingredients: Pumpkin Puree, Spices, Oats, Black malt, aged in bourbon barrels

He just never listens. We told Gordo about the evil pumpkins gurding the abandoned swimming pool, but he just couldn’t resist hopping the fence and dropping in. Don’t get it twisted, he’s shredding in there, but the pumpkins are not pleased and he has no exit strategy. Gordo is an Imperial Pumpkin Stout, brewed with a variety of spices and Pumpkin Puree to provide authentic seasonal spice on top of a rich and flavorful malt profile. Bourbon barrel aging supplements those flavors with sweet Bourbon notes and complex barrel flavor.
    Poured black into a Snifter with a large khaki colored head. Has a heavy sweet smell of bourbon, pumpkin spice, and molasses. Flavors of pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, roasty malt, and oaky bourbon. Medium bodied and finishes creamy. The 10% ABV is hidden quite well! If this wasn't so expensive, I think this might dethrone Pumking as my favorite pumpkin beer!

Thanks

Another seasonal Clown Shoes brew tonight!

A departure from your typical pumpkin to... Apple Baron Wee Heavy Ale.

Ingredients: Golden Promise malt, caramel malt, aged in apple brandy barrels

No one really remembers when he started calling himself the Apple Baron. But now it’s the only thing he responds to. Apples, more apples, apple seeds, apple trees. Apples on the plane, apples in the car. There are worse things, I guess…

Apple Baron is a Brandy barrel-aged Wee Heavy Ale with a rich malt body and startling sweetness. An intense caramel apple aroma and notes of pineapple make for a rich palate of full-bodied flavor.
    Poured deep Amber into a Tulip with a substantial white head. Allowed to warm a bit. Smells of tart apple, caramel, brown sugar, and brandy. The flavor is quite caramel malty with apple and oaky brandy. Pretty sticky sweet as a Wee Heavy should be. Body is medium-heavy with a nice 11% ABV. A very tasty brew for the season!

Thanks

Wrapping up a long day with two brews tonight, both local.

Going to start with a rarity from Listermann, named for the namesake of my fair city - Cincinnatus Imperial Stout

Poured pitch black into a Snifter with no head. Allowed to warm some. Scent of oaky bourbon, chocolate, molasses, and slight coffee. Very robust scent. The flavor is just as rich as the scent and tastes like it smells. The taste is a fantastic, barrel aged blend! Nice, heavy body with an equally heavy 13% ABV. This one finishes with a nice warmth, perfect for the sudden cold snap. A real top notch brew from Listermann! Can't wait to try the Port Cincinnatus that I picked up with this.

Thanks

Next up is Christian Moerlein's Pineapple Upside Down Gose.

Poured hazy, medium gold into a Shaker with a medium sized white head. Not an overly complex scent. Mostly pineapple with a hint of malt. Pretty much the same in the taste, just malt and pineapple. Body is thin and watery, a tad fizzy. Kind of light at 4.8% ABV. Not a ton going for this except it was only $5 for a 6 pack.

Thread Information