Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Beer!

Just opened up a new release from Rogue. It is their Rogue Farms Marionberry Braggot.

We made this braggot with our own marionberries, hops, barley, and honey. Situated across from 40 acres of Rogue hops, 119 Colonies of bees were carefully kept, fed, and smoked and the honey was uncapped, extracted, filtered and finally infused into a refreshing Marionberry Braggot.
    Admittedly I was unfamiliar with what exactly "braggot" is so I looked it up. Here is the description according to BrewWiki:
    Braggot is a form of mead made with both honey and barley malt. It typically uses 1/3 or more malt and may have as much as 50% malt.

History

Braggot is an ancient drink popular in midieval Europe, traditionally without hops. Chaucer and others wrote about the merits of Braggot, though its origins are much earlier as both mead and malt based drinks date back to ancient times.

Description

Flavor and aroma should reflect a mix of beer and mead flavoring. Pale to dark colored. Bitterness should balance with honey character. Should have some head retention if carbonated. Mead made with a mix of honey and malt. Alternatively may be made by mixing mead with ale. Hopped varieties (optional) should have a evident hop flavor.
    Sounds interesting!

Poured a ruddy brown into a Snifter glass with a slight off-white head. Smells of honey, malt, caramel, and dark fruit with some berries. The taste on this is very sweet! There's tons of malt with honey, berries, and a fairly strong alcohol note that gets more noticeable as it warms up. The body is very thick! The strong alcohol flavor is due to the 11.42% ABV. This one packs a bit of a punch! Overall, this is a rich and tasty brew I'd recommend giving a try.

Thanks

Just picked this one up the other day. It's a new Stone collaboration brew made with the help of Wicked Weed and Ecliptic: Points Unknown IPA.

It seemed no single beer could adequately convey the collective talents of Portland, Oregon brewing legend and Ecliptic Brewing founder John Harris; Luke and Walt Dickinson, the brewmaster duo behind North Carolina’s Wicked Weed Brewing; and Stone Brewmaster Mitch Steele. So, this veritable triad of power opted to brew TWO beers. The first was a traditional Belgian-style tripel aged four months in oak barrels that originally housed red wine, then tequila. It was then blended at a one-fourth to three-fourths ratio with a freshly brewed West Coast double IPA to create this beer. A variety of diverse flavors coalesce into something more unique than any one beer our trio could have conceived.
    Poured a darker, hazy gold into a Shaker with a medium gold-tinged head. Smells largely of tropical fruit hops. Also a bit of a sweet smell with some subtle oak. A well blended hop and malt taste with a very mellow bitterness. Also sweet in taste with oak. A bit of a thick body with a dry finish. 9.5% ABV. Tasty and a highly drinkable IPA!

Thanks

I'm not quite sure why this was on store shelves now since this is a Winter porter but, sure enough it was and I picked up a 4-pack several days ago.

This one is Great Lakes' Alberta Clipper Porter

Poured a nearly black red-brown into an English Pint with a smallish tan head. Very distinct chocolate and raspberry notes in the smell. Taste is just like the smell with a slight smokiness. A very simple brew but also quite good! Body is medium. A bit of a surprising alcohol note given this is only 7% ABV.

Thanks

Having a brand new, limited release from Rivertown called Barrel Aged Old Sour Cherry Porter.

We combined our Imperial Porter with fresh dark Michigan cherries, and then aged it for over three months in a bourbon barrel inoculated with wild yeast. This is a bottle conditioned ale, and can cellar for over five years. Enjoy!
    Poured black into a Snifter with no head to speak of. Allowed to warm slightly. Smells of sour cherry, oak, and is a bit boozy. Wonderful tart cherry with some nice oak flavor. I'd almost swear there's some green/sour apple in there too. A little bit of an acidic bite. Even though there is alcohol in the nose, thanks to the 9% ABV, there isn't much in the taste. That could be because of the heavy sour flavors. Body is on the thin-medium side. Pretty much no carbonation. Finishes semi-dry. If you don't like sours, this isn't for you as it packs a decent puckering punch. If you do like sours though, like I do , this one is very well done!

Thanks

Tonight is a new and limited release from Clown Shoes. This is a new version of their Billionaire (which I have not had) with a twist. This is Pierre Ferrand Billionaire.

One year after releasing Billionaire, Clown Shoes Beer is at it again.

The second incarnation of the English barleywine is named Pierre Ferrand Billionaire, and comes in at 12 percent ABV. As the moniker implies, the new beer has been aged in 30-year-old cognac barrels purchased from Pierre Ferrand for six months.

“What could be more distinguished than our Director of Operations, Matt Smith, gracing a billion dollar bill with a smirk and a neck beard?” reads the beer label. “You! With this rich beer in your belly. Here’s to rare beer wishes and caviar dreams!”

Released in 2014 for the Ipswich, Ma.-based brewery’s fourth anniversary, the original Billionaire was the same 12 percent ABV English barleywine that had been aged in cognac barrels from Rémy Martin.
    Poured a murky brown into a Snifter with a very thin dark tan head. Allowed to warm a little bit from fridge temperature. The nose is sugary dark fruit, boozy cognac, and caramel. This smells very rich! The taste will wow you right off the bat! I get malts, some nuts, brown sugar, and caramel. The alcohol is there but barely noticeable. Quite a feat considering the 12% ABV! Very slight bitterness on the finish. Body is on the thicker side. This is certainly a sipper. I've got to say, Clown Shoes really knocked it out of the park! Even though it is $14 for a bomber bottle, it is worth the price of admission.

Thanks

Feel like cracking open a cold one tonight!

Picked this up about a week ago. This is New Belgium's Lips of Faith - Pear Ginger Beer.

Mix your own adventure this summer with PEAR GINGER BEER . Our latest Lips of Faith release updates the Victorian-era ginger beer with whimsical additions of pear and lemon peel, creating a zesty, invigorating summer sipper crafted for beer glasses and mixologists’ cocktail shakers alike. Warming, spicy ginger punctuates a lively wash of sunny lemon, pear and bready white wheat for a sip that starts sweet, but finishes with just the right amount of heat. Drink it straight, no chaser, or put a new spin on a classic gimlet—either way, shake it up this season with Pear Ginger Beer.
    Poured hazy gold into a Shaker with a very minimal white head. Smelled of pear immediately on opening the bottle. Clear smells of pear, ginger, and malt. Taste is much like the smell. Sweet with a bit of a spice bite with just a touch of quickly fading heat that you'll notice in the throat. Medium-thin body with moderate carbonation. A decent 7% ABV. An interesting brew worth a try.

Thanks

Guess I'll get this reviewed after my adventure.

This one just hit shelves around here.

It is Victory's Sour Monkey.

This electrifying transformation of our famed Golden Monkey may just blow your mind. Tastefully twisted to offer nuances of sweet fruit, and a sharp tang of tartness, this exhilarating combinations of flavors makes this brew a monkey all it’s own. C’mon respect the monkey and Taste Victory!
    I've had the Golden Monkey (pretty sure there's a review several pages back) and really liked it!

Poured hazy gold into a Tulip with a medium white head. Smells of sour green apple, grapes, and some spice. Maybe some slight must. Taste hits you with a sour punch! Sour apple for sure. Also some grape, some oak, and just a little bit of caramel malt. Light to medium body with a fairly dry finish. The 9.5% ABV is well hidden in this. Another really good sour! And this one is pretty budget friendly. I think this bomber was about $7-$8.

Unfortunately this one ended up a little warm after having to keep an eye on the sky. May have to pick up another bottle so I can have this cold.

Thanks

Tonight is the end.

The inevitable end of Bell's Planets Series.

Neptune - The Mystic has rolled out and once again my friend in Michigan has come through.

With Neptune, our Planets Series comes to an end. Inspired by one of Larry Bell’s old homebrew recipes and the music of Gustav Holst, this complex, strong and spiced Imperial Stout offers prominent herbal notes along with flavors of chocolate, roasted malt, licorice/anise and pepper with a touch of heat. Reminiscent of a mystical creation brewed in days gone by, this beer is a good candidate for aging due to the robust characteristics of its ingredients.
    Allowed to warm. Poured as black as deep space () into a Snifter with a light brown head as thin as our Moon's atmosphere (okay, am I going overboard yet? ). Has a very mellow smokey smell with roasted malt, a little chocolate, and chili pepper. The flavor is quite complex and to be honest a little hard to nail down. I get a sweet, milk chocolate flavor along with a bit of a hickory note and a very, very mild heat on the backside from the Cayenne. Body is medium and a slightly oily. None of the 9% ABV comes out. Overall, I've got to say, this is a very well done end to The Planets Series. It's been a fun and interesting, nearly year long ride Bell's! Thanks!

To accompany this review of Neptune is Gustav Holst's Neptune as played by the The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra:

Thanks

Picked up a new release from Rhinegeist earlier today and since it came home cold felt like having it tonight.

This is their Glow Lumenocity Pale Ale (Note: That is the correct spelling of Lumenocity because Lumenocity is a Cincinnati event. Looks interesting although since it is down at Music Hall, you're somewhat likely to get beaten up and robbed.)

Glow Lumenocity Pale Ale is brewed with Hull Melon hops, giving the beer notes of summer melon and strawberry, making it appropriate for an evening at the outdoor symphonic and light spectacle of Lumenocity 2015.
    Poured an extremely bright and extremely clear, light gold into a Shaker glass with a medium white head. Has a light and airy fruit and melon scent. The flavor is quite malty and grainy with a little melon and a moderate bitter backside. The strawberry mentioned in the official description is there but is a little tough to pick up. You might miss it if you weren't looking for it! Body is on the thinner side, a bit bubbly, and has a semi-dry finish. A somewhat lightweight 5.2% ABV. Definitely a good warm weather brew!

Thanks

Time for a review of a Stone brew I picked up about a month ago.

This is their Stone Spotlight Series: Drew & Steve’s Imperial Mutt Brown Ale

Stone Brewing Supervisor Drew Neldon and Brewer Steve Via joined forces to develop the award-winning beer. When brainstorming recipe ideas, Neldon wanted to brew an altbier, while Via was interested in exploring brown ales. (Before crafting this beer, Via felt he’d never had a brown ale that synced with his palate.) Rather than focus on a single beer category, the duo decided to combine the best qualities of both styles by using four different malts to make a unique mongrel, hence the name: Imperial Mutt Brown Ale. “With such talented and inventive brewers on our team, each installment of the Stone Spotlight Series has had very stiff competition,” explains Stone Brewmaster Mitch Steele. “During the judging session earlier this year, we were most impressed by the English notes coming from Drew and Steve’s beer. After brewing their recipe on our 120-barrel systems, the character of the English ale yeast really shines, along with the interesting blend of malts used.” The beer’s grain bill is made up of Victory, chocolate wheat, Vienna and Honey malts. Fruity and bread-like aromatics are joined by subtle coffee notes. Mild roast and coffee traits carry over to the flavor, followed by hints of toffee and molasses. Magnum and East Kent Golding hops offer a restrained, balancing bitterness to a strong malt backbone. When all these qualities combine, the result is a full-bodied, malt-driven beer that’s smooth and easy to drink. Stone Spotlight: Imperial Mutt Brown Ale is ready to be enjoyed fresh or may be aged for months or several years at proper cellaring conditions (55°F or lower). Although Drew and Steve’s Imperial Mutt Brown Ale will be available in limited quantities, fans can look forward to a new winning beer every year from the Stone Spotlight Series that showcases Team Stone’s brewing talent.
    Poured a dark brown into a Snifter with a moderately thin khaki head. Allowed to warm a bit since this is an Imperial Brown Ale with 9% ABV. I get chocolate, coffee, and alcohol in the nose. I think I get a little molasses as well. The taste has a strong malt note along with coffee that is just a touch bitter. The alcohol isn't completely hidden but it isn't out in your face. Medium body. As the description states, this is indeed a smooth drinker. Quite good!

Thanks

Review for tonight is a collaboration between Smuttynose and Stone called Cluster's Last Stand.

Stone Brewing Co (Escondido, CA) and Smuttynose Brewing Company (Portsmouth, NH) have teamed up to create just 30 barrels (930 gallons) of Custer’s Last Stand. Stone’s founder Greg Koch joined Smutty in the brew process in New Hampshire, where they made – don’t be surprised – an IPA. Not just any IPA though, a “right-after-Prohibition Ballantine IPA” as mentioned in Stone’s Mitch Steele’s book on IPAs.
    Poured a slightly dark gold into a Shaker with a medium sized white head. Smells of citrus hops with a bit of malt. Has resinous pine and citrus flavors with medium bitterness. A bit of alcohol in the flavor too. Body is medium and has an 8.3% ABV. A good IPA but didn't feel like there was anything that really made it stand out from other good IPAs.

Thanks

Just opened another brew from Rhinegeist. This is their Fool Saison Farmhouse Ale.

Saison Farmhouse Ale dry hopped with Lemondrop hops, with aromatics of tart lemon, pepper, and spring flowers.
    Poured a very pale but hazy gold into a Tulip glass with a very large white head. A pleasant herbal and spice aroma with lemon typical of a saison. The taste is light. There's lemon, a bit of malt, and a mild funkiness. All of the flavors balance out pretty well. Body is on the thinner side with a semi-dry finish. A bit carbonated. Not a real heavy hitter at 5% ABV but a nice and refreshing warm weather drink!

Thanks

Wanted to review another Rhinegeist release tonight. This is their A Side IPA.

India Pale Ale brewed up with flavor beats of dank baritones, sticky-icky pine, and citrusy high notes for a symphonic hop explosion; scratches and grooves.

Limited release in conjunction with Shake It Records.
    Poured a dirty gold into a Shaker with a medium sized, gold tinged, white head. Has a notable tropical fruit hop smell with just a touch of citrus. A moderate piney bitterness jumps out up front but doesn't last and gives way to a much less bitter creaminess and a little melon. Body is medium and has a 6.5% ABV. Smooth drinking but the initial bitter bite may be too much for some. Pretty decent overall.

Thanks

After posting about the Andromeda galaxy over in the Space Forum, it dawned on me I've got just the beer for the occasion.

I have a bottle of Rhinegeist's Andromeda Pale Ale I picked up several weeks ago.

Single hopped pale ale with Galaxy hops
    Poured gold into a Lager glass with a big, white head. Very noticeable citrus hop smell along with a bit of melon. Has a malty and piney, slightly bitter flavor. A little sweet. Body is on the lighter side and has a mostly dry finish. Nothing overly outstanding but a good, solid brew!

Thanks

Tonight I'm having a bottle of Ommegang's Upside Brown Farmhouse Brown Ale.

Upside brown is a distinctive addition to our Brewmasters Obsession Series, paying homage to our deep farmstead roots and iconic farmhouse design. Bottle-conditioning with a unique blend of brettanomyces -- wild yeast strains -- brings forth magical and unexpected results. Upside Brown is then carefully aged in our warm cellars, creating a fine ale of delightful and surprisingly rich complexity. Enjoy fruit aromas, dominated by cherry and pineapple, with a touch of farmyard funk -- while the sweet malt character is balanced by brett tartness. This fine ale can also evolve: cellar for a dryer and more pronounced brett presence.
    Poured a dark red-brown into a Trappist Glass with an extremely sizable gold tinged, white head that is most persistent. Smells of dark fruit with cherry being pronounced. Just a hint of funk to it. Tastes a bit nutty and slightly fruity with a mild tart funk twist. Body is on the lighter side of medium and has a dry finish. Comes in with a 7% ABV. An interesting and unique take on a Brown Ale but for me it isn't much more than a curiosity. Doesn't tickle my fancy enough to want to have it again.

Thanks

Just opened a new release from Clown Shoes I picked up yesterday. This is their Mangö American Style Kölsch.

Poured a hazy, pale gold with a substantial white head into a Shaker glass. Very appealing, sweet mango aroma. Mango and malts are up front with a subtle hop flavor on the backside that leaves a short lived and barely noticeable bitter aftertaste. Body light and bubbly and finishes dry. Has a decent 6.5% ABV. Not at all a complex beer but a refreshing Summer brew!

Thanks

Just finished cutting the grass so I figure it's a good time for a beer. Then again, almost any time is a good time for a beer!

This is a bottle of Rhinegeist's Streaker which bills itself as a "crowdsourced IPA".

Poured a dark and dirty gold into a Shaker with a large, gold tinged, white head. Very potent tropical fruit and citrus hop smell with malt notes. Strong malt presence in the taste with just enough of a citrus hop, mild bitterness to compliment it. Fairly sweet. Relatively thin body with a semi-dry finish. Comes in at 6% ABV. Very smooth drinking. Rhinegeist did a fantastic job with this brew! Too bad it isn't a common brew for them as I could see this being a semi-regular buy for regular drinking.

Thanks

I totally forgot to share my newest acquisition of breweriana!

So say we all!

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

Did beer come in that mean looking and quite awesome stein, Ryan?

Thanks

No, it did not. In fact, I had bought it with the intent of using it as it was advertised as being fully glazed but I like it so much, now I'm afraid to!

Thread Information