Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Beer!

Thanks

Just opened up a bottle I was hesitant to open. It's a bottle of Naparbier Pumpkin Tzar Pumpkin Imperial Stout I picked up before Halloween. Naparbier is apparently a brewery in Spain.

If you were wondering why I was hesitant to open it, it's because it is a pumpkin imperial stout brewed with habanero chilies.

You've got to admit, that's a cool label.

I properly let this warm up a little bit. Poured a thick, inky black into a Snifter with no head. It literally looked like I was pouring used motor oil. On the nose I get definite pepper notes along with coffee, a bit of cocoa, and some malts. I think I might have overreacted to the "habanero" part of the label. The spice is on the mild side and gets you in the back of the throat after a while. There's a nice smoky flavor. There's also bitter coffee and roasted malts present. I had a very hard time picking out any pumpkin in there but I think I got hints of it every now and then. Body is definitely on the thick side. Not a bad beer at all for a chili beer rather than a pumpkin beer.

Thanks

I can't imagine those flavors going together...

I mean, there's pumpkin and spices. But habanero as a spice? LOL
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

New one tonight is Three Floyds Man-O-Awe American Pale Ale.

This pale ale, as its namesake, will inspire awe. Brewed exclusively with hops grown in Michigan. Pay homage to the Man-O-Awe with this beer lest you meet him in person.
    Poured a deep copper-gold into a Shaker glass with a moderate gold tinged, white head that pulled back to a thin slick on top. The nose on this is mainly light, fruity hops and not much else. Tastes of strong malt balanced with the fruity hops that are in the scent. A lot of reviews on RateBeer mention bitterness but got practically none at all and I'm sure you know I'd pick up on it if there were any! Moderate body that ends up on the dry side. 6% ABV so it won't knock your socks off. A very nice drinkable brew but not really anything that might make you remember it a couple months down the road.

Thanks

Americans Now Drink More Craft Beer Than Budweiser

November 24, 2014

Here's a very cool graph from today's Wall Street Journal that says an awful lot about America's changing taste in alcohol. Americans now buy more craft beer than Budweiser. (Not Bud Light, mind you. Just Bud.)

On the one hand, this chart is a reminder that craft brewing is still a niche—albeit a fast-growing one. According to the Brewers Association, craft labels make up about 14 percent of the U.S. beer market. Take Allagash, Lagunitas, Dogfish Head, and all your other favorite little breweries, toss them together, and they barely outsell the third most popular brand in America.

On the other hand, it's also a very specific testament to the decline of Budweiser, which these days is basically a beer without a purpose. Twenty years ago, when Americans were less health-conscious and had more homogeneous tastes, selling a mass-market, midpriced lager designed to appeal to the largest possible demographic made lots of sense. But now, it's a brand without a natural audience except for older Americans who drink it out of habit and maybe a nostalgic sense of brand loyalty. If you walk into a bar, there will almost always be a cheaper beer, a less caloric beer, and plenty of tastier beers on tap. And so it's not totally shocking that, by Anheuser-Busch Inbev's account, 44 percent of Americans between the ages of 21 and 27 have never tried a regular old Budweiser. It's not as if they're missing anything.

This isn't to say Budweiser is in immediate peril. Again, thanks to all those old fans, it's still the third most popular brand in the country. But it's obviously a bad sign for the future, which the WSJ reports is why AB-Inbev is starting a new marketing effort to rehab the beer's image with young drinkers, in part by getting rid of the Clydesdales in its commercials this holiday season and substituting relatable twentysomethings.* Per the paper:

The marketing push is accompanied by an effort to get Budweiser back on tap. Theory being: If Levi’s and Converse can end years of sales declines by winning over young consumers, so can Bud.

“This is a very considered, long-term view of what will turn around the brand,” said Brian Perkins, AB InBev’s vice president of marketing, Budweiser.

But this analogy strikes me as a bit flawed. Levi's could change up the look of its jeans. Fashion loves to go retro. But Budweiser can't radically change its formula, and its not obscure enough to be rediscovered (not that Chucks were ever totally obscure). Bland, midpriced, beer is bland, midpriced beer. Budweiser is stuck in the middle, and some new commercials aren't going to pull it back out.

*Correction, Nov. 26, 2014: Based on the Wall Street Journal's reporting, this post originally incorrectly suggested that Budweiser was eliminating Clydesdales from all of its future TV advertising. The newspaper has since corrected its story to clarify that while the company will not use the horses in their ads this holiday season, they may in the future. Budweiser has also released a statement saying that Clydesdales, "will continue to play a central role in our campaigns, including holidays and Super Bowl."

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruck View Post
    A very nice drinkable brew but not really anything that might make you remember it a couple months down the road.
    Except for that big scary guy on the label.

Thanks

Yeah, except that.

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

The Clydesdales are the best part of Budweiser. No offense to Bud drinkers.

Thanks

I was thinking the same thing when I read that. Everyone remembers the Clydesdale Super Bowl ads Bud puts out.

Thanks

Tonight's review is for another Three Floyds American Pale Ale, Space Station Middle Finger

With the same grim determination and American innovation that President Jack Kennedy showed when propelling us to victory in the space race, we at Three Floyds bring you Space Station Middle Finger. Both bright and citrusy this pale ale deserves to be in orbit.
    Poured a darker gold into a Shaker glass with a very sizable gold tinged white head that took its time shrinking. Smell seems to be a mix of citrus and pine. Sweet, hoppy citrus taste, mostly orange I think, with minimal bitterness and a bit of malts. Body is on the thinner side of medium. Easy drinking. Another well done APA by Three Floyds like Man 'O Awe but also like Man 'O Awe not overly remarkable. This is like the hoppier and less malty version. Again, 6%, so nothing to write home over.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruck View Post
    HURRAY!!!! American's aren't as stupid as Obamacare people THINK they are!
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

It's Friday so time for beer!

This is a very new brew from Southern Tier, Tripel Café.

Belgian Style Ale with Green Coffee Beans, Orange Peels & Coriander

This series is all about experimenting with unusual brewing ingredients. Tripel Café uses green coffee beans, orange peel, and coriander – brewed with Belgian yeast for an 8.8% Belgian Tripel. This is the fourth in our 750ml Belgian Style series.

In this beer, we wanted to experiment with green coffee beans. The unroasted coffee beans bring a light coffee bitterness to compliment the citrusy hops, spicy phenols, and yeasty floral esters. Tripel Café is light, with a delicate body and a rounded, soft bitterness. Classic Belgian lacing gives way to pale straw color and highly effervescent mouthfeel.

Of course, because the 750ml bottle is conditioned, some haziness is to be expected. When pouring the bottle, be aware that some sediment may be present. Pour carefully to avoid this, or don’t. The choice is yours.
    Poured a slightly hazy gold into a Trappist Glass with a medium white head that reduced to a thin topping. Smells distinctly like your typical Belgian and a bit sweet. In the taste, the coriander is most noticeable with a sweet orange flavor. There is a very light coffee bitterness but it isn't very pronounced. Probably because green coffee beans were used instead of mature roasted beans like most beers with coffee. Also a bit of yeastiness throughout. All of the flavors are well balanced. Body is a little bit thick but has a dry finish. A very good brew by Southern Tier!

Thanks

I just picked this one up the other day. It is Rogue Farms OREgasmic Ale.

Formerly Chatoe Rogue OREgasmic Ale.

Orange-amber in color, malty aroma, spicy fruity hop flavor with solid malt background and lingering finish.

6 Ingredients:
    Brewed using 100% OREGON Ingredients. Micro Barley Farm first growth Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Rogue Micro Hopyard Willamette & first growth Independent Hops, Pacman Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water.
    Specs:
    15º PLATO
    40 IBU
    76 AA
    6º Lovibond
    Poured a hazy brown into a Tulip Glass with a smallish light brown head. Has a syrupy caramel smell. Some hops as well. Tastes of caramel malt and hops with a sight bitter bite. Lots of caramel all around. This almost reminds me more of a slightly bitter Brown Ale or an Amber Ale. Body is a bit on the thin and dry side. An interesting brew. Not bad.

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

The color of that ale is just awesome.

Thanks

Across town, there's a place called "Trinity Brewing".

I've been in there twice. First time I got the impression from the atmosphere it's very "hippieish" and "1960s" styled people come in there. They have a lot of books and crap indicative of a very "liberal bent".

The second time I was there I was unimpressed with either the beer or the prices which went up steadily since the first time. They also sell a 6oz beer at the price of a pint anyone else would sell it.

It's not cheap, and the beer isn't that great in my opinion.

Then this article appears in the Gazette today.

Colorado Springs brewer apologizes for Twitter brewhaha

Google Survey FAQ
    348 25 email 467 print

By Stephanie Earls Updated: December 16, 2014 at 11:44 am •

What is said in 140 characters or less often requires a whole lot more to adjust or unsay, if such a thing is even possible in an age of digital eternity.

Still, Jason Yester would like to try.

Trinity Brewing Co.'s founding brewer ignited a minibrewhaha on social media last week after tweeting his reaction - "lol?" - to the results of Focus on the Beer's 2014 Best of Beer contest. The Colorado Springs beer blog invited readers to vote on their favorites, and when the 4,326 votes were tallied in the best barrel-aged category, Trinity came in third behind Woodland Park's Paradox Beer Co. and the Springs' Nano 108 Brewing Co., respectively. (AP: I voted for nano 108)

Yester's tweet was followed by a comment that clearly appeared to disrespect the Springs ("I've pretty much accepted the education level of the city"), then hinted about a possible move to Denver, saying "it's situations like this that pretty much guarantee we will be leaving the springs."

Read some of the comments here.

Yester wants you to know he didn't mean it that way.

"We get a huge amount of respect for our beers and I was just, more than anything, shocked and that was my reaction to how shocked I was," said Yester, who was in New York City on brewery-related business when he posted the tweets. "I will definitely apologize to the city thinking I said it was a stupid population. That was never my intent.
    I think these beers take a lot of education and a lot of studying and a lot of tasting to really grasp. It had nothing to do with IQ or intelligence." (AP: Ummm Yeah, RIGHT Hippie who thinks he smarter than the rest of the Conservatives here)

Since it opened on Garden of the Gods Road in 2008, Trinity has brought home a slew of state, national and international awards, and twice was named among the top 25 beers in the world by "Draft Magazine."

"We're constantly being ignored by this town for accolades, and I make a few tweets and the town's all over it," Yester said. "Why is all this ignored and this isn't? It's a little confusing."

About that move to Denver? Not retaliatory, per se. An expansion to the Denver area has been in the works for some time, said Yester, who is expanding the availability of Trinity's bottled beers to Seattle and New York in 2015. (AP: Personally, I request he haul his happy ass to Denver with the rest of the fucking libtards and get out of my city)

"We are definitely going to move a large amount of production to Denver. The way I look at it is if I'm going to build a new place, a brick in Colorado Springs costs as much as a brick in Denver," said Yester, 37.

"If I'm going to build a new place and do a large facility, yes, it's very likely that it will be Denver unless things turn around dramatically here. I haven't made up my mind on what's going to happen yet there." (AP: Turn around and kiss your ass byebye, dumb ass. That wasn't an apology, and your explanation SUCKS)

What are the odds of an explanatory, make-nice campaign clearing up bad beer blood?

As far as brewer Keith Altemose of Nano 108 is concerned, there's no bad blood to clear up.

"I think that he's one of the best at what he does. He has good accolades and he's earned his stripes," said Altemose, whose barrel-aged beers were ranked a slot ahead of Trinity's, and just behind those of Paradox, in the contest. "I was flattered to have second place surrounded by those two."

As for the Colorado Springs beer community, forgiveness may have to be earned a sip at a time.

"At the bottom line is whether a brewery brews good beer," said Randy Dipner, a beer fan and festival director of the All Colorado Beer Festival. "Many customers can forgive a lot if the brewer brews good beer, and Jason brews good beer."

-

Contact Stephanie Earls: 636-0364

Read more at http://gazette.com/colorado-springs-...p6WYJpZ3765.99
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Has to be a Liberal.

Too much of a spoiled sport to take his licks, thank those who voted for him for their support, and then take feedback on how to improve to do better next year.

Thanks

When you deride the intelligence of the community for not voting for you, that says a lot.

Colorado Springs is very Conservative and most of us like beer. To berate US for not voting for HIM is BS.

I am sure Keith was being nice when he said he was honored to be "up there with those two".

Trinity isn't a well liked place here - and most of the people who go there are uppity yuppies from over in the richer areas, the majority of whom are teachers, professors at the local and state colleges and the area is a lot like Boulder in that respect. In fact, when you walk into the place, the clientele LOOKS like they walked in off the streets of Boulder, complete with the hippie attitudes and smelling of recently burned grass about them.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Tonight I am pleased to bring you a review of the latest release in Bell's The Planets series, Mercury - The Winged Messenger

I paid a lot more than I should have for this 6 pack because the person who had gotten me Mars and Venus wasn't able to come through with this one. Thankfully an ARFCOMmer from Kalamazoo was able to pull off the assist for this!

The funniest part is that after all the hoops I had to jump through to get this, Bell's issued a recall for it! I figured there's no way I'd be able to get replacements as hard as it was to get. Thankfully, since Mercury is a lighter colored brew I was able to examine the contents of the bottles and did not find any glass. I was prepared to strain it if necessary.

Now on to the review...

Today you get your first look at one of a seven part series of beers inspired by Gustav Holst’s musical composition, “The Planets.” The series will follow the sequence of Holst’s piece from Mars to Neptune. Today we get to see Mercury, The Winged Messenger and it is a Belgian-Style Ale.
    Poured a hazy, light gold into a Trappist Glass with a very thin, quickly vanishing, white head. The smell on this is very faint but I smell yeast, lemon, and Belgian spice. Taste is much like the smell with the addition of malts, some sweetness, and a little sourness. Body is light and crisp. Weighs in at 4.8% so it doesn't pack much of a punch but, it is well balanced and solidly put together. If this weren't part of The Planets series it might not stick out too far above average though.

Now, for your listening enjoyment, I present Gustav Holst's Mercury from The Planets:

Thanks

Going to do a couple reviews tonight. First up is Dogfish Head's newest release, Beer Thousand Strong Pale Lager.

Our newest Music Series beer is a collaboration with 80’s indie rock band Guided By Voices, and draws inspiration from what is arguably their most notable album, Bee Thousand. A right lyrical lager brewed with ten varieties of grain and ten varieties of hops and clocking in at 10% abv, this brew truly lives up to its to name. Complex and rugged, BEER THOUSAND is abundant with aromas of subtle strawberry and tropical banana notes with hints of citrus and cereal grains. The flavor is sweet, malty and boozy up front with a warm alcohol bite and a clean, slightly bitter finish. Scarily drinkable for its size and demeanor, this one’s sure to be a crowd pleaser.
    Poured gold and clear into a Lager Glass with a very small white head. The nose on this has fruit, notably banana, and malts. The taste is sweet, fruity (again with banana prominent), malty, with a bit of alcohol noticeable. Didn't get much in the way of hops, maybe a little bitterness. Body is on the thicker side but smooth. Definitely drinkable as the very accurate brewery description states. Yet another well done brew from Dogfish!

Thanks

The next up is one I had picked up back before Halloween. This is Victory's Moon Glow Weizenbock.

This dark amber wheat beer features fruity and spicy aromas galore. Significant strength underlies the pleasant citric appeal of this bock beer. Redolent with the flavors of harvest fruit, Moonglow typifies the traditional weizenbock-style so thoroughly enjoyed throughout Bavaria. Left unfiltered, its unique yeast strain gives Moonglow a radiance all its own.
    Poured a dark, clear red-brown into an English Pint (closest I've got to a Weizen Glass ) with a very substantial and long lasting khaki head. This smells very fruity and spicy. Taste is a lot like the smell. Fruity with cherry the most noticeable and maybe a little banana. Sweetness, wheat, malts, and a little spiciness. Medium bodied. 8.7% but the alcohol isn't very pronounced. Pretty decent brew by Victory!

Thread Information