Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Beer!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Beer!

I'm going with an automotive theme with this weekend's brews, originally unintentionally when I bought them.

Tonight's will be Broke And Broke Down from 50 West, which is local.

Poured bright gold into a Shaker with a moderate sized white head. Tropical fruit and citrus hops dominate the smell. Tropical and citrus hops also dominate the flavor but it's well balanced with malt sweetness. Medium weight, juicy body with a decently substantial 8% ABV. Very solid and easy drinking DIPA!

Thanks

And the second automotive themed beer for the weekend... Another of the 10w-40 family from Hi-Wire! This one is the [b]10W-40 Chocolate Macaroon

Poured black into a Snifter with a good sized, light brown head. Smells of sweet malt chocolate with some faint coconut. The flavor is definitely macaroon inspired with a lot of sweet chocolate and coconut with lactose and vanilla. Medium-heavy bodied with an 8% ABV. Another tasty variety of the 10W-40 family!

Thanks

Watching the world burn tonight with paradise on my mind.

Having a limited release from Kona Brewing, Mai Time Wheat Ale

Poured bright, slightly hazy gold into a Shaker with a good sized white head. Lots of lime and orange in the nose. Lime, orange, pineapple and a bit of wheat fill out the flavor. Body is light and crisp with an equally light 4.9% ABV. A bit carbonated. A good beer to kick back with!

Thanks

It's been a long, hot, and humid day here today... Just got home a little bit ago.

Looking forward to relaxing with a new brew from Sonder, Key Lime Frosted.

Poured a nearly solid gold (never seen that before!) into a Shaker with a big, foamy, white head. Has a scent of lime citrus, vanilla, and graham malt. Tastes exactly like it smells! Tart lime, sweet vanilla lactose and graham. Pretty spot on for key lime pie! A little bitterness on the finish. Very thick and creamy body and an ABV weighing in at 7.2%. Another nice brew from Sonder! Going to continue to be on the lookout for their offerings...

Thanks

Staying local for tonight's beer. Today the heat and humidity was even worse than yesterday so keeping it light today too.

A recent brew from Listermann, with a reference to some recent pop culture fun, Lager King.

Poured a clear, medium gold with a smallish white head. Definite malt and yeast smell, a little sweet. Flavors of sweet malt and yeasty with a little hopiness. Body is light with a little weight and a reasonable 5% ABV. I've never been the biggest fan of lagers, but don't mind them. This is what a good lager should taste like!

Thanks

Been busy the last couple weeks, some days more than most, and haven't had a chance to sit down and enjoy a good beer.

Making sure I do this weekend before I have to work on call next week.

Trying out a brew from CO compliments of my previously mentioned buddy who hooked me up before!

Trying out Deez Nuts Hazelnut And Peanut Butter Pale Ale from 105 West Brewing Company in Castle Rock, CO.

Poured amber into a Shaker with a moderate sized white head. Big smells of peanut butter and hazelnut! Equally big peanut butter and hazelnut in the taste along with a bit of malt. Body is medium weight with an equally medium 5.4% ABV. This beer is a peanut butter and hazelnut flavored beer, and that's exactly what it tastes like! Delicious!

Thanks

Decided to try another from my CO buddy he hooked me up with.

This one is Loveland Aleworks Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout.

Poured an inky black into a Snifter with a sizable light brown head. Allowed to warm some. Has a very complex scent of chocolate, roasted coffee, malt, some molasses, and oak. The flavor is much the same as it smells with all the flavors coming together very, very nicely. A bit boozy and finishes with oak. This has a nice heavyweight body and an equally robust 13.5% ABV. This is a really damn good brew from such a small brewery! Very impressed!

Thanks

Last hurrah before Independence Day on call week.

Doing a Clown Shoes brew I picked up a little while ago. This is their Banshee and the Beast Imperial Stout.

Banshee and the Beast is a blended Imperial Stout aged in Irish Whiskey and Bourbon barrels. Bold roasted malt flavor gives way to a smooth finish, abetted by barrel-aged complexity and the soft hints of Bourbon and Irish Whiskey.
    Poured deep black into a Snifter with a good sized light brown head. Allowed to warm some. Has a very rich scent of whiskey, oak, caramel, and chocolate. Will literally make your mouth water just smelling it in anticipation of the taste. Tastes just as fine as it smells. Plenty of whiskey, oak, and caramel in the flavors. More whiskey than bourbon, in my opinion. Makes no effort to hide its booziness. Body is heavy with a 10.25% ABV. Honestly, it seems like every barrel aged brew Clown Shoes puts out is just amazing and this one is no different.

Thanks

One last for the night... Another from my CO hookup from a new to me brewery.

This is Dragon Fire Barrel Aged Imperial Stout from Horse & Dragon Brewing Company in Ft. Collins, CO.

Poured pitch black into a Snifter with a big, light brown head. Allowed to warm. Has a very nice scent of espresso, chocolate, molasses, and dark fruit. Has a taste of oaky whiskey, dark chocolate, roasted malt, and mild booze. This packs a heavy body along with an 8.7% ABV. Pretty damn good brew from this brewery!

Thanks

Time to kick off the weekend!

It's been a scorcher the last couple days (really weeks ) so I'm starting with a nice, light brew tonight.

Been a while since I've had anything from Breckenridge so I grabbed a 6er of their [url=https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/breckenridge-mountain-beach/722206/]Mountain Beach Gose[/i].

Bursting with aromas of fresh pineapple, this thirst-quenching sour is a vacation in a can. Vibrant flavors of tart lime and pineapple blend with the sweet notes of guava to bring a taste of the tropics to the high country.
    Poured a bright, hazy gold into a Shaker with a medium sized white head. A big smell of tropical fruits, namely the mentioned pineapple and guava mentioned, you get even at a distance. The flavor is pineapple, guava, and lime but is also surprisingly malt forward. Only slightly tart. Body is, naturally, light and crisp accompanied by an equally light 4.5% ABV. Very tasty and an excellent hot weather beer choice!

Thanks

Got a nice steak and some potatoes on the grill so it's time for the appetizer!

Tonight it's Listermann Orange Creamsicle

Orange creamsicle flavored popsicle sour ale brewed in collaboration with Street Pops.
    Poured light, hazy gold with a good sized, fizzy white head. Has a tart, orange citrus scent with a little lactose. A well done orange creamsicle flavor with plenty of orange citrus and lactose flavors! Also a bit tart and a little malty. Another great hot weather brew!

Thanks

Another hot start to a weekend and it looks like the heat is only going to be getting worse.

But, to bring about some happiness, I'm having a new hot weather brew from Bell's - Flamingo Fruit Fight

The name, Larry’s Latest, is a nod to the spirit of innovation and experimentation that Larry started in 1985 and continues within the brewery to this day. Our latest Tart Fruit Ale is brewed with passion fruit and lime zest, resulting in a tart blend of tropical, citrus flavors and aromas.
    Poured a hazy, bright gold into a Shaker with a medium sized white head. Has a big smell of passionfruit and lime with a tart twist. Very tropical! Lime seems to dominate the flavor but passionfruit is right behind it, slightly tart, with a sweet malt background. The body is light and fizzy with a decent 5% ABV. Highly drinkable, especially when it feels like a swamp outside!

Thanks

Having an IPA tonight that I've had kicking around for a little bit since it's a West Coast, which I don't usually prefer given their higher bitterness. Bought it mostly because of the kick ass can art.

This is Rogue's Newport Nights

There's nothing quite like a night out in Newport... from craft beer and the freshest seafood to bonfires on the beach, this one's dedicated to Newport and those unforgettable nights having fun on the 101.

Newport Nights opens with aromas of mango, papaya, and tangerine followed by an atom bomb of pine and grapefruit, ultimately delivering a monstrous hop punch that is surprisingly smooth.

Ingredients: 2-row malt, pilsner malt, munich maly, malted wheat, hop extract, El Dorado hops, Mosaic hops, Citra hops, Pacman yeast, free range coastal water
    Poured a slightly hazy amber into a Shaker with a long living, medium sized, dense off-white head. The scent on this is pretty light but I definitely get the mentioned mango, papaya, and tangerine along with a little malt. The taste is mostly the mentioned pine and grapefruit hops with a bit of caramel malt. Not as bitter as I was expecting but, disappointingly didn't really seem to have the fruit flavors the scent teased. The body is actually pretty smooth and a little creamy. Comes in with a pretty respectable 9.8% ABV. Not a bad West Coast style.

Thanks

Yeah, I'm on call this week but that's not going to stop me from having a good brew or two.

Been looking forward to trying this one since I saw Bell's was releasing it. It's a variant of my go-to Oberon - Bell's Mango Oberon.

The color and scent of a summer afternoon; now with a mango twist. This limited release of your favorite summer beer just got a blast of real fruit. It's refreshing, easy-drinking and only here for a short time.
    Not exactly as cheap as regular Oberon, coming in at $11/4pk instead of $16/12pk.

Poured slightly more orange than the regular Oberon we know and love. Still hazy with the same sizable white head. The smell has the familiar wheat, hop, and spice aroma but with a noticeable mango twist! The flavor is noticeably more mellow than regular Oberon. The flavor isn't really complex, just bringing mostly mango and wheat. A very slight bitterness on the tail end. The body is medium weight and this is bringing the same 5.8% ABV as the regular variety. Pretty tasty and I wouldn't mind adding it into the mix if it weren't limited and priced more in line with regular Oberon.

Thanks

New brew from a new brewery tonight!

This is Spiked Smoothie Lemonade from Connecticut Valley Brewing Company.

No offense to margaritas and G&Ts, but all other refreshing summer drinks are now playing for second place. Imagine the fresh-squeezed, ice-cold lemonade of those childhood front-yard stands....Just spiked for the grown-ups. Until it’s possible to can summer, this is what it tastes like.
    Poured exactly like lemonade into a Shaker glass with a thin, fizzy, white head. Wouldn't be able to tell the difference between this and real lemonade if blindfolded by smell. The taste is almost exactly like lemonade as well but slightly creamier, maybe a little less tart. The body is a tad thicker than real lemonade but is also carbonated. Has a decent 5% ABV. This is some damn good Summertime beer!

Thanks

Kicking off this weekend with a combo 4 pint pack I picked up a while ago. This is another Listermann brew that's gone to benefit the Cincinnati Zoo.

It's a combo pack called Kris and Remus. One a vanilla stout and the other a caramel stout.

Starting off with Remus...

Stout with vanilla. Proceeds benefit the Cincinnati Zoo.

To successfully raise a cheetah as a part of the program, the Zoo pairs a solo cub with a puppy around the same age to allow the cheetah to have a companion to grow up with. Remus, the dog, was adopted to be Kris' companion because of his age, temperament, and overall great personality.

Kris and Remus became fast friends and will stay companions as long as they decide to. When the time comes, Remus will "retire" and be adopted by one of the Zoo staff and Kris will continue to live at the Zoo as an Ambassador cheetah.

Zoo fact: The cheetah is one of the most endangered cats in Africa, as the population has decreased by 90% in the past 100 years and is closing in on extinction.
    Poured a black into a Snifter with a light brown head that didn't last long. The scent has strong coffee and chocolate with roasted malt and just a hint of vanilla. The flavor is cocoa, dark roast coffee, and that little bit of vanilla. The body is medium weight and finishes lactic. Has a 5.5% ABV I think is a tad light for a stout. The flavor, however, is pretty good!

Next up is Kris...

Stout with caramel. Proceeds benefit the Cincinnati Zoo.

Kris, an orphaned cheetah cub, is growing up in the Cincinnati Zoo's Cat Ambassador Program. As an Ambassador, she will demonstrate the amazing running speed of a cheetah during the Cheetah Encounters at the Zoo, as well as participate in educational programming around the Zoo and the city.

Kris and Remus became fast friends and will stay companions as long as they decide to. When the time comes, Remus will "retire" and be adopted by one of the Zoo staff and Kris will continue to live at the Zoo as an Ambassador cheetah.

Zoo fact: The Cincinnati Zoo is a leader in managed cheetah breeding, with over 60 cubs born at the Zoo's off-site cheetah breeding facility.
    Poured just like Remus into a Snifter. The aroma of Kris is much lighter than Remus and comes across with chocolate, malt, caramel, and maybe a little coffee. The flavor is heavy on the caramel and coffee with a bit of cocoa. Also medium bodied and also weighing in at 5.5% ABV. Good stuff just like Remus!

Listermann also suggests, via a sticker on the 4 pack, mixing the two for a Cuvée so indeed I will!

Mixing Kris and Remus into a Snifter looks about the same with the exception of its head which ends up being much longer lasting. Since the two have a lot in common with the scent, there's not much change except for getting notes of both vanilla and caramel at the same time. The two brews really do complement each other well in the flavor department with caramel, coffee, vanilla, and chocolate. Good drinking whether mixed or separate!

Thanks

Trying one I've had sitting around for a while. March to be exact.

This is Listermann's Shamrock Shake Pot O’ Gold.

Golden oatmeal sweet stout with coffee, cacao nibs, chocolate, and natural flavors added.
    Poured a deep amber into a Snifter with a medium sized golden head. Smells of roasted malt, cocoa, and vanilla. Fairly sweet smelling! The taste is chocolate, lactose, cereal malt, and a good bit of everyone's favorite breakfast cereal. Medium bodied with a decent 7% ABV. Very unique flavors that work quite well together considering how it's made.

Thanks

Starting the weekend with 2 limited release singles.

I just started Season 5 of Lucifer so the first is going to be apropos.

First up tonight is Brunch Exorcism Imperial Stout from Clown Shoes.

Fitz is a festival maker, here at our home at 306 Northern Avenue. When the tents begin to rise, you NEVER want to interfere with his work. A brunch obsessed demon didn’t get the memo. He hurled giant bagels, caffeinated beverages, and strips of cooked meats at the brewery. Fitz, barely phased, exorcised the brute. Now no longer a demon, the meek soul cleaned up his mess before descending back to hell.

Brunch Exorcism is aged in Bourbon, Irish Whiskey, and Maple Bourbon barrels. Cold brew, applewood, and beechwood smoked malts round out the flavor profile, delivering a demon free brunch in a glass!
    Poured ink black into a Snifter with a sizable, brown head. Smells mostly of French Toast and maple syrup with a bit of oak whiskey barrel and a touch of chocolate. The taste is cocoa, maple, oak, smokey toasted malt, and boozy bourbon. Fairly heavy bodied with an equally heavy 10.3% ABV. Excellent just like most every Clown Shoes brew!

Thanks

For the next brew I'm going local with one from Listermann: It Really Ties The Room Together Imperial Stout.

Imperial blonde stout with coffee, vanilla, cacao, and lactose. Brewed in collaboration with Hoppin' Vines.
    Poured a deep, deep copper into a Snifter with a medium sized golden head. Has a scent of brown sugar, chocolate, vanilla, and malt. Much bigger chocolate and caramel flavors than I expected with some roastiness and creamy vanilla. Body is decently heavy with a 9% ABV to match. A tastier flavor profile than the nose lets on and I like it quite a bit!

Thanks

Going doubly local tonight with a collab brew!

Tonight's beer is one from Taft's Brewing Co., who I haven't tried yet. This is their Frisch's Pumpkin Pie, a collab with local Big Boy franchise Frisch's.

Taft’s Brewing Co. to Introduce Frisch’s Pumpkin Pie Ale

August 13, 2020

Frisch’s Big Boy and Taft’s Brewing Co. are rustling up Frisch’s Pumpkin Pie Ale, an autumn beer in which cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg combine with vanilla for a smooth, creamy finish. The Ale will be available at all major and independent retailers in Greater Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton, Lexington and Louisville. Frisch’s Pumpkin Pie Ale (ABV: 6.0%, IBU: 30) will make its debut at an Aug. 12, 6 p.m. public event at Taft’s Ale House, 1429 Race Street, Downtown Cincinnati. The first 75 people to arrive at the Aug. 12 Frisch’s Pumpkin Pie Ale event will receive a commemorative pint glass. Members of the media will receive a sample of Frisch’s Pumpkin Pie Ale. The event will also feature a question and answer session with Ryan Blandford, Head Brewer of Taft’s and a 6:30 p.m. toast from Jason Vaughn, the CEO of Frisch’s Big Boy.

“Two of Cincinnati’s biggest boys have come together to create a full-bodied limited edition ale that celebrates Frisch’s Pumpkin Pie. It pairs well with a carryout Big Boy sandwich and crinkle cut fries,” said Mr. Vaughn.

“Taft’s has called up the national gourd – Frisch’s Pumpkin Pie. We all have great memories of this fall favorite, and we’re proud and excited to partner with Frisch’s Big Boy to prove that pumpkin isn’t just for latte anymore,” said Dave Kassling, managing partner of Taft’s Brewing Co.

In its continued effort to ensure the safety of the community, guests and employees, Taft’s Ale House is hosting multi-table reservations for group events. Tables are a minimum of six feet apart and guests will be asked to remain seated as much as possible. Face masks are required when not seated. More details are available at https://taftsbeer.com/dineinsafely/. Frisch’s Pumpkin Pie Ale will not be available at Frisch’s Big Boy restaurants.

About Frisch’s Pumpkin Pie

Frisch’s famous pumpkin pie is made from a secret recipe that dates back more than 50 years, and each pie is made in Frisch’s Kitchen in Walnut Hills. Pies are assembled daily in small batches, so they are always fresh, never frozen, and feature a made-from-scratch crust and a blend of secret spices closely guarded by the kitchen’s loyal bakers. Over a million slices are served every year.

About Taft’s Brewing Co.

Taft’s Brewing Company was founded in 2015 through the creation of Taft’s Ale House. The founders of Taft’s partnered with the Cincinnati Center City Development Corp to create the brewery and restaurant located in Cincinnati’s Over-The-Rhine. The three-story Ale House resides in a renovated historic church originally built in 1850 and offers premium steak fare in a beautifully designed space. In 2017, the Taft’s team created a production brewery and tap room, Taft’s Brewpourium Cincinnati, located in Spring Grove Village. The 50,000-square- foot facility is home to high-volume brewing and beer kegging, canning and packaging. The Brewpourium Cincy tap room offers guests 12- 15 of Taft’s house-created brews and New Haven-style coal-fired pizza. Taft’s also opened a sizeable indoor/outdoor space in the Franklinton Columbus area that features homemade brews and the same New Haven-style pizza in a funky 80’s/90’s themed hotspot. Taft’s beers can also be found in bars, restaurants, grocery stores and other outlets across the region. www.taftsbeer.com About Frisch’s Big BoyFounded in 1947, the Frisch’s family consists of more than 100 units, comprised of company-owned and franchise partner locations, across Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana. For more information, visit Frischs.com.
    Poured a deep amber/coper into a Shaker with a medium sized golden/white head. A definite aroma of pumpkin, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Much of the same in the flavor profile with some graham and lactose. The body is light-medium and it's got a decent 6% ABV. A good pumpkin beer isn't easy to pull off but Taft's has done a very nice job with this!

Thread Information