Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Beer!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Beer!

It's going to be an all local weekend this week!

Trying another new, local brewery by the name of Dead Low Brewing. Haven't come across any of their offerings in retail so I've got a growler of their Timberhead Roasted Chocolate Stout.

Poured black into a Snifter with a thin brown head. Smells of roasted malt, sweet cocoa, and a little coffee. Has flavors of slightly bitter dark roast coffee, cocoa, some earthiness, and some ash. The body is on the thinner side of medium and this only clocks in at 6.3% ABV. Not the best stout I've had (which is an admittedly high bar) but decent enough I'm going to be giving more of their stuff a try.

Thanks

Kicking off the weekend with some high test from Bell's - This One Goes to 11 Ale.

This One Goes to 11 Ale opens with bright, juicy aromas such as tropical fruits & ripe cherries, largely derived from massive kettle & dry-hop additions of Southern Hemisphere hop varieties such as Galaxy, Motueka, and Summer. The citrus & resinous pine notes of the Pacific Northwest hop family are also well represented, making their presence known through Simcoe, Citra, and the newly released Mosaic varietal, just to name a few. A wide range of specialty malts anchor the hops to this IMPERIAL RED ALE, contrasting the assertive bitterness & juicy aromatics with a robust, toasty depth of flavor. Fermented with Bell’s signature house ale yeast, This One Goes to 11 Ale finishes with a lingering warmth.
    This is definitely a red ale! Poured a slightly brownish red into a Shaker with a good sized red-orange head. A lot of fruit and citrus in the smell with a bit of sweet caramel malt. Lots of caramel malt up front on the flavor which is quickly followed up by moderately bitter citrus. The two balance pretty well. Slightly boozy but the alcohol is hidden pretty well for 11%. It's a tad more bitter than I usually prefer, so wouldn't be a "go-to", but not at all offensively so. As is the typical case with Bell's, they don't brew a bad beer!

Thanks

Doing a double review tonight! Both from Rhinegeist.

One for Skeleton Brut White and one for Skeleton Brut Red

First up is White...

Skeleton Brut is a unique collaboration brew made with our friends and neighbors at The Skeleton Root urban winery. A Brut Imperial IPA, this beer is full of interesting additions: the enzyme amyloglucosidase for bone-dryness, Vidal blanc grape must and yeast from a bee’s knees (seriously) sourced from Cincinnati’s Eden Park. Skeleton Brut is a limited release available in bottles and on draft.
    Poured clear, light gold into a Shaker with a smallish white head that didn't last. Smells of white wine, slight Belgian spice, and a little wheat. Definite white wine flavors with the Belgian-like spice I could smell, very slight hoppiness. The body is light and crisp with a 9% ABV. Quite tasty!

Next up is Red...

Skeleton Brut debuted in 2018, a unique collaboration with our neighbors at The Skeleton Root urban winery. Sporting the characteristic bone-dryness, this Brut Imperial IPA is brewed with grape must and yeast from a bee’s knees (seriously) sourced from Cincinnati’s Eden Park. This year’s release is a Brut double feature: two different beers, two different grapes. Skeleton Brut Red uses Chambourcin grapes, adding a tannic touch to this wonderfully complex brew. A limited release, available in bottles and on draft.
    Poured a brownish red into a Shaker with a minimal white head that, like the White, didn't last long. Smells of sweet and tart red grapes and some floral hops. Much like the White, has a definite flavor of a Red. Some sweet malt and light hop flavor. Heavier weight body than White but coming in at the same 9% ABV. Also quite tasty!

In sum, both were pretty good!

Thanks

Going local again tonight!

Tonight is Listermann's Polar Beer 2.0 NEIPA

NE IPA with Citra, El Dorado, Callista, and Sabro hops.

Cincinnati Zoo researchers are working to save polar beers with science. With only 26,000 remaining in the world, polar bears are under threat due to decrease of sea ice. Despite the worldwide popularity of this iconic species, little is known about their unique physiology or how they will respond to a changing environment. Scientists at the zoo are using cutting-edge technologies to create successful breeding programs and preserve irreplaceable genetics so that they are not lost forever.

Proceeds benefit the Cincinnati Zoo's polar bear conservation efforts.

Did you know? Polar bears' large body size, layers of thick, hollow hair, and three to four inches of blubber provide insulation from the cold, in and out of the water.
    Poured pale, hazy, light gold into a Shaker with a fair sized white, foamy head. I've got a head/chest cold but I get citrus and tropical fruit hops. I'm just too stuffed up to get much more. More tropical and citrus fruits in the flavor with some doughy malts. Body is really thin. Only comes in at 6.4% ABV as well. I've thought most of Listermann's NEIPAs have been pretty good but this one is just "okay". At least the purchase goes to a good cause!

Thanks

Tonight I'm trying a brew from Mikkeller, whom I haven't had anything from in a while. It was $4 for a 4 pint pack so figured why not!

This is Murk and Honey NEIPA

Poured semi-hazy, medium gold with an extremely large, foamy head. Smells of tropical fruit, malt, and a touch of honey. Interesting taste. Definite hop and malt characteristics of an NEIPA but with noticeable lactose creaminess and honey sweetness. Slightly bitter. Body is light-medium and this comes in at 6.8% ABV. Not bad at all and an interesting flavor profile for an NEIPA. A bit reminiscent of the Listermann Orange Julius but without the citrus.

Thanks

Going local tonight with one from Rivertown. This is their Lemon Bar Berliner Weisse.

This was marked down to $3/4 pack so my expectations are being set appropriately.

Poured medium gold into a Shaker with a medium sized white head. Has a tart citrus smell with a little malt. Has a sweet lemon cream flavor with a slightly sour and malty finish. Light-medium bodied with a somewhat weak 4.6% ABV. This actually tastes better than I expected for the price! It does indeed taste like lemon bar pastry! Not bad at all but would benefit from more alcohol, especially if it's only sold in a 4 pack of 12oz cans.

Thanks

Another local brew tonight. Tonight's is Listermann's 11th anniversary brew, XI Strong Ale

11th Anniversary - Blend of three barrel-aged beers with vanilla, walnuts, and spices added.
    Poured dark black into a Snifter with a very thin tan head. Allowed to warm some. Rich scent of oaked bourbon, dark fruits, roasted malts, vanilla, some spices, and chocolate. Has a taste of oaked bourbon, nuts, vanilla, malts, and a touch of spice. Finishes with warmth. Heavy bodied with an appropriate 12.5% ABV. Damn fine brew for an anniversary celebration from a great brewery!

Thanks

Opening up tonight's new brew!

Seems like it's been a bit since I've had a Clown Shoes beer but picked up two new ones earlier today. Tonight's will be Hephaestus Imperial Stout

Comes in a big, tall stovepipe can. Pours ink black into a Snifter with a great big, brown head. Rich smells of oak, roast coffee, dark chocolate, and boozy bourbon. Flavors of oak, slightly bitter dark roast coffee, semi-sweet chocolate, and bourbon. Finishes with some warmth. Most beers try to hide the alcohol but this one seems to make a show of it! Body is quite heavy and comes in at 12.5% ABV. Once again, Clown Shoes does not disappoint! Real good stuff!

Thanks

Going local tonight with another Braxton/Graeter's collab! This is their brand new Black Cherry Chocolate Chip White Stout

Introducing Graeter’s Black Cherry Chocolate Chip White Stout. A decadent dessert beer crafted in perfect harmony with notes of luscious black cherries and creamy dark chocolate. An indulgent, medium-bodied white stout, delightfully reminiscent of the classic chocolate covered cherry.
    Poured a ruby red color into a Shaker with a large, pink head. Has a smell of chocolate, roast coffee, and black cherries. The flavor is a little odd... I get a black cherry, roast coffee, and a bit of cocoa. The odd comes in at this being a lot more bitter than I was expecting. Tart, I could understand, but this comes across as bitter, not even tart which would be understandable. Medium bodied and weighing in at 7.4% ABV. When you see "Graeter's" you think rich, sweet ice cream so that's what you expect in a beer with their name, not a beer with bitter notes. This needs to be a lot less bitter, a lot more sweet, and a lot more creamy flavored. Not bad but not my favorite Braxton/Graeter's collab. A little disappointing.

Thanks

Kicking off this coronavirus weekend with another brew from local brewery, Dead Low. This is brand new from them and is their Bacho Maple Bacon Porter.

Poured dark brown from a growler into a Shaker with a small, light brown head. Has a light scent of maple, smoke, and roasted malt. The taste is pretty spot on for the name! Flavors of sweet maple, smokey bacon, and a little bit of char. Body is light-medium and this comes in at 4.7% ABV. Pretty tasty! I like it but, feel like this would make a better heavy body stout with a bigger ABV.

Thanks

A buddy in Loveland, CO sent me a couple local brews in exchange for sending some Clown Shoes his way. It just came in this morning so, naturally, I need to have one!

Going to start with Peanut Butter Porter from Liquid Mechanics out of Lafayette, CO.

Poured dark black into a Shaker with a medium-large, light brown head. Smells of peanuts. Lots of roasted peanuts. A bit of chocolate malt too. Lots of the same in the taste, which is very good! Body is medium heavy and has a nice 8.6% ABV. This brew leaves a very favorable first impression of Liquid Mechanics with me! Might be one of best peanut butter beers I've tried!

Thanks

Going with a very special brew tonight that the brewery owner was kind enough to send me a 6 pack of in trade for a beer I was able to get him (which I'll review at a later date!).

Tonight's brew is The Boogaloo from Currahee Brewing out of Franklin, North Carolina.

So special I even took the time to take the pic for it!

Some close ups of the can art which you all might appreciate...

Yes, that is Killdozer and "Welcome to the rice fields motherfucker!" guy with a Big Igloo.

Poured pitch black into a Snifter with nearly no head. Has a scent of coffee, chocolate, malt, molasses, and a little boozy. Allowed to warm a bit. The flavor is a lot like how it smells with coffee, chocolate, roasted malt, and sweet molasses. Has a bit of booze but not as much as the ABV comes in at, 12.4% ABV. Medium heavy bodied. Very easy drinking, even despite the high ABV. My first brew from Currahee and I'm quite impressed!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Ruck For This Useful Post:

American Patriot (April 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Kicking off my (on call ) weekend with another of the 10W-40 family from Hi-Wire! This is their 10W-40 Horchata.

Inspired by super sweet and creamy Mexican-style horchata, this extra special batch of our 10W-40 Imperial Stout boasts huge notes of fresh vanilla, amaretto, and cinnamon with an incredibly smooth and chocolatey finish.
    Poured deep brown, borderline black, into a Snifter with a medium sized brown head. Smells of roasted malt, dark roast coffee, sweet caramel, and chocolate. Flavors of coffee, caramel, chocolate, lactose, and roasted almonds. Medium-heavy bodied with an 8% ABV. Very good stuff like the other 10W-40s!

Thanks

Going with a brew from Clown Shoes tonight! Like last night being a variant of 10W-40, tonight is a variant of their Sombrero stout. This is Churro Sombrero.

Ingredients: Cinnamon, Vanilla Beans, Lactose, Chocolate and Rye malts

Everyone thinks the Churro match is some kind of gimmick. Little do they know, only the most fierce and devoted of the Luchadors dares enter the ring when the churros come out. Limbs tangling with churros, the air thick with sweat, tears and cinnamon sugar, it is a tradition as ruthless as it is delicious. The latest entry into our Sombrero series, Churro Sombrero features sweet dessert notes from cinnamon and vanilla bean additions. This richly textured Mexican-Style Chocolate Stout gives a fresh twist of unique texture and flavor to our Sombrero series.
    Poured very deep brown with a fairly large, light brown head. Smells of cocoa, vanilla, sweet malt, and a touch of cinnamon. Tastes just how it smells which is pretty dang good! Creamy, medium weight body with a nice 7% ABV. Once again, Clown Shoes does not disappoint!

Thanks

New beer from a new brewery tonight!

Figure this one is relevant since the top 3 NFL drafts came from OSU!

This is Buckeye Gold from Rusty Rail Brewing in Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania.

Imperial chocolate peanut butter hefeweizen.
    Poured a dark golden brown into a Shaker with a very large, khaki colored head. Great big peanut butter and chocolate smells. Flavors of milk chocolate, peanut butter, roasted malt, and a slightly wheaty finish. Medium-heavy bodied with a decent 8% ABV. I wasn't quite sure what to expect out of a hefe with peanut butter chocolate flavors but this did not disappoint at all, quite a tasty first impression from Rusty Rail!

Thanks

Trying a new brew from Loveland Aleworks complements of a gentleman in Colorado tonight! This is their Death Wobble Imperial Coffee Porter

Just put a foot down.

We brew Death Wobble Imperial Porter big and add generous amounts of oats, roasted barley, chocolate malt, and locally roasted coffee from Traction Coffee Roasters. Enjoy!
    Poured black into a Shaker with a medium sized, light brown head. Big aroma of roasted coffee you can smell from some distance! Also has a bit of a cocoa and malt smell. Really smells great! Tastes as it smells with rich, roasted coffee dominating with roasted malt and some chocolate. Medium-heavy body with an ABV weighing in at 7%. Great first impression of Loveland Aleworks!

Thanks

Since I only have 2 pints of the Death Wobble, I'm going to save the other for later and switch over to another brew.

Going semi-local with another new one from Country Boy. This one is a new one I haven't seen before: Hazelnut Stout

Poured black into a Shaker glass with a medium sized brown head. Smells of hazelnut coffee and chocolate. Not as strong a coffee aroma as the Death Wobble but still nice. Flavors of hazelnut coffee, lactose, roasted malt, and chocolate. Medium bodied, lighter than the Death Wobble which is a Porter. Comes in at 6.5% ABV. Another tasty brew from Country Boy! They certainly turn out some solid brews!

Thanks

Wrapping up the weekend with a brew I've had for several weeks but just haven't had a chance to try. This is from a new to me brewery, Mispillion River Brewing, out of Milford, Deleware and is their War Possum Berliner Weisse.

I pretty much had to get it because of the label. I mean, who can resist a beer with a possum wearing a GPNVG!

Poured a hazy gold into a Shaker with a fizzy, white head on it. Big strawberry lemonade smell on it with a touch of malt, tart. Definite flavors of strawberry lemonade with a slightly malty finish. Light-medium bodied with a 5% ABV. Definitely not a complex brew but very tasty! Crisp and refreshing! Would be quite easy to drink a lot of this, especially on a hot day.

Thanks

Time to kick off the weekend with something new from Listermann!

Another NEIPA with an old school rap inspired name - 99 Problems But A Beer Ain't One

Poured a hazy, medium gold into a Shaker with a moderate sized white head. Potent tropical fruit and citrus smell that you can pick up some distance away. Juicy! The taste isn't as potent as the smell though. Tropical fruits and caramel malts in the flavor. Very balanced NEIPA. Body is medium and creamy with a respectable 7% ABV. Yet another fine NEIPA from Listermann!

Thanks

New brewery, new beer tonight!

This is German Chocolate Cake Coconut Pecan Stout from D9 Brewing in Cornelius, North Carolina.

Chocolate, pecans, and coconut brewed to sweet perfection - that's what we've achieved with this robust, velvety stout. Inspired by the decadent dessert, our German Chocolate Cake Stout makes for the perfect Fall nightcap.
    Poured pitch black into a Snifter with a medium sized tan head. Aroma of chocolate, pecans, malt, and a very little bit of coconut. Flavors of chocolate and coconut are most pronounced, a little oakey. A very slight bitterness that seems a little out of place lingers. Body is medium-heavy, bringing an 8% ABV to the table. This seems a tad fizzier than it should be. Pretty tasty but not quite as good as the last German Chocolate Cake brew from Cellar Dweller I had a while back.

Thread Information