Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Beer!

Another red IPA up for tonight.

This one is from Founders and is their Backstage Series #13: reDANKulous Imperial Red IPA

reDANKulous Imperial Red IPA is a no frills, bold 9.5% ABV India Pale Ale. It pours a pleasing burnt amber with some sweetness due to the Caramalt and roasted barley used in the malt bill. But hops are the true headliner in this elaborate sensory experience. The spicy, piney, tropical complexities of Chinook, Mosaic and Simcoe hops hit you right away with their dank aroma—and they stick around. Take a sip to have your palate simultaneously walloped and caressed in all the right places. Combined, the hops take the beer to 90 IBUs. It’s not just ridiculous. It’s reDANKulous.
    Poured a darker, red-brown into a Shaker with a big, golden head. As the description states big notes of tropical fruit hops and a little spice as well as caramel. On the taste there is citrus and pine hop with subtle malt underneath. Medium, persistent bitter flavor throughout. The body on this is much thicker than I expected. A respectable 9.5% ABV but you don't taste much of it. Not as easy drinking as Deuce due to the more potent bitterness but not so overwhelming as to be undrinkable. Pretty good brew from Founders!

Thanks

For Friday night I'm opening up a limited release from Rivertown called Ojos Negros.

"Unlike conventional ales and lagers which are fermented by carefully cultivated strains of brewers yeast, Ojos Negros is instead produced by exposing it to the wild yeasts and bacteria that are native to the Senne Valley, of Brussels Belgium. It is this unusual process involving over a year of fermentation, and over 130 pounds of Fresh Whole Blackberries which gives this beer its distinctive flavor: Semi sweet, vinous, fruity and cidery with a crisp tart aftertaste." According to one of the brewers, it is their Lambic (agen in oak wine barrels) with blackberries added.
    Poured a ruddy-gold into a Tulip with no real head. Smells of sour apple and berries. Very funky scent! Wow! This one is tart! Sour apple and berry in taste with lactic and oaky flavors as well. Slightly sweet. Body is thin-medium with a semi-dry finish. A modest 6.5% ABV. This may not be for everyone since this is quite tart but, personally, I love stuff that is challengingly tart. This borders right on it! A tasty and creative brew from Rivertown!

Thanks

Managed to get my hands on a somewhat uncommon release from Bells yesterday.

This is their Hell Hath No Fury... Ale.

Originally conceived along the lines of a Belgian Dubbel, Hell Hath No Fury... Ale morphed during development into something entirely different. Blending a pair of Belgian abbey-style yeasts into a recipe more akin to a roasty stout, Hell Hath No Fury... Ale offers up warm, roasted notes of coffee & dark chocolate together with the fruity & clove-like aromas.
    Uncommon enough that Party Source was only selling them individually but, there was no limit. So I asked and one of the guys in the beer section was nice enough to get me a whole 6er with carrier.

Poured near black into a Trappist Glass with a very thin, light brown head. Very interesting scent. Smells like a roasty Belgian! Has a touch of malt and dark fruit to go with it. The taste is noticeably malty. Has the previously mentioned dark fruit also in the taste. Sweet up front with the typical Belgian spice and a slight bitterness on the finish. Body is on the thicker side. Has a nice 7.5% ABV. Well done brew from Bells with a nicely complex flavor!

Thanks

Next up tonight is one from a brewery I haven't sampled before.

The brewery is DuClaw out of Baltimore and the beer is their Sweet Baby Jesus! Porter.

Sweet Baby Jesus Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter is a complex, robust porter. It is jet black in color with a tan, rocky head, full body and creamy, luxurious mouthfeel. Its lightly sweet, malty flavor is accented by strong notes of chocolate, coffee and peanut butter, and balanced by a subtle hop character and moderate 6.5% abv. Sweet Baby Jesus finishes smooth, dry and roasty with notes of chocolate, espresso and peanut butter so tasty, you’ll have no choice but to exclaim the name!
    Poured black into an English Pint with a light brown, medium head. A very unmistakable peanut butter and chocolate smell. The peanut butter in the taste is predominant. The chocolate is also there but is more of a bitter chocolate. It also has malt and a slight roasted coffee flavor as well. Both add up to a medium bitter flavor. Body is on the thinner side. ABV is 6.5%. Pretty good brew overall but I do prefer Listermann's version since it is more sweet than bitter.

Thanks

The last review of the night is a hard to get brew from Three Floyds. This their Dreadnaught Imperial IPA.

Party Source just so happened to have gotten in a shipment of some Three Floyds brews, a couple of which are of the hard to get variety, and this was one I snagged.

A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. 9.5% ABV, 100 IBUs.
    Poured medium gold into a Shaker with a large, golden head. Has a big hop smell! Just like the description above says, a lot of citrus and tropical fruit scents. First off, I'll say this most certainly doesn't taste like a 100 IBU beer. The bitterness is there and lingers throughout but it is just way too mellow. The fruit hop flavors and caramel malt are definitely present. There's also a bit of an alcohol flavor and lingering warming thanks to the 9.5% ABV. Very solid Imperial IPA from Three Floyds!

Also, tonight I discovered my dog must be a bit of a hophead herself! I always leave the beer glass sitting on the coffee table when I'm drinking it. Every now and then when Pearl is walking around I'll see her give them a sniff and be on her way. Well apparently she liked this one well enough I caught her give the glass a lick! Never seen her do that before! So drink up knowing this gets Pearl's Stamp Of Approval.

Thanks

Just opened up a bottle of a new Rhinegeist release called Plow, a Saison.

Sessionable Saison brewed with Motueka hops. Plow makes the perfect companion to a fieldside lunch, rest your tools and find a place in the shade to enjoy this aromatic Farmhouse Ale. ‪#‎CincyMade
    Poured a slightly hazy golden brown into a Tulip glass with a large, white head. A nice hop and Farmhouse funk smell with sweet malt. Malt with a slight spice funk taste. Mild tropical and citrus fruit hop bitterness that lingers. The body is thin and fizzy. A fairly lightweight 4.4% ABV. Not bad but probably wouldn't get again.

Thanks

And now for some beer news...

Big Beer's 5-Point Plan To Crush The Craft Beer Revolution

October 16, 2015

When the massive Anheuser-Busch InBev-SABMiller merger is complete, the resulting company will own over 400 beer labels, including 8 out of America’s top 10 brands. Right away, the new Bud-Coors-Miller-Stella-Molson conglomerate will be responsible for producing roughly 30% of all the suds on earth.

And if the corporate overlords have their way, the company will gain even more market share down the line. To do so, it’ll have to expand into more regions and/or reverse the trend that’s most visible in the U.S.: the rise of small, independent craft labels. According to the Brewers Association, which represents the craft segment, the number of breweries and craft beer’s portion of overall beer sales have both doubled over the past five years. At the same time, sales of “macro” beers like Budweiser and Miller have gone flat or declined.

While the $104 billion merger of the world’s No. 1 and No. 1 beer companies is intended to assure Big Beer’s dominance in the global marketplace, it’s actually but one of several strategies being employed to put the pesky craft category in its place—or even destroy it, if possible.

Click ahead for a handful of tactics Big Beer is using to try to keep its brands on top.

No. 1. Create your own quasi-craft brands

Read Blue Moon Brewing’s history on the brand’s website and you’ll learn that the Belgian-style wheat ale was created by beer-loving visionaries two decades ago in Denver. What you won’t see there, nor at the Blue Moon Brewery at the Sandlot, where the Colorado Rockies play, nor on a bottle of Blue Moon, is mention of the fact that the brand has always fallen under the domain of Coors, the Colorado-based brewer that’s now owned by MillerCoors, which is itself a subsidiary of SABMiller.

Blue Moon was ahead of its time in what’s become known as the “crafty” beer category—brands that seem like small indie labels that are actually owned by the world’s biggest beer companies. Shock Top is Anheuser-Busch InBev’s best-known faux craft beer, and according to one source, “75% of consumers believe Shock Top is from a small/unknown brewer.

Clearly, these brands hope to win sales by creating the appearance of indie craft authenticity, all while using the production and marketing advantages of a global corporation. But they might not be able to blur the lines indefinitely. Earlier this year, a class-action lawsuit was filed against MillerCoors because it presents Blue Moon as a craft beer when it is not—at least not in terms of the commonly accepted Brewers Association definition that a craft brewer is small and independently owned.

No. 2. Snatch up craft brews that’ll sell out

If you can’t beat them, buy them. That seems to be the philosophy behind Anheuser-Busch’s strategy for purchasing popular craft labels such as Goose Island, Elysian, 10 Barrel, Golden Road, and Blue Point. Generally speaking, these brands vigorously proclaim that their quality and dedication to customers won’t diminish after the change in ownership, and they say they still deserve to call themselves craft beers. Purists who believe only small, independently owned operations merit the “craft” label obviously disagree.

In any event, according to the Brewers Association, America is now home to over 4,000 breweries, roughly double the number just five years ago. Even the new, ultra-powerful AB InBev-SABMiller super conglomerate can’t buy them all out, one would think. But the global beer behemoth can strategically purchase key craft brewers and use them to make it extremely difficult for independent little guys to be successful in the marketplace.

No. 3. Defend macro brews, bash craft snobs

This part of the plan is probably the most bizarre, and perhaps has backfired on Big Beer. On the one hand, the beer giants have purchased several prominent craft labels and created their own faux craft brands. On the other, Anheuser-Busch InBev decided it was wise to run with an ad campaign mocking craft beer that theoretically supports its struggling Budweiser label. The commercial, first aired during the 2015 Super Bowl, called Bud “Proudly a Macro Beer,” while making fun of hipsters who “fussed over” flavors like pumpkin peach ale. (Budweiser sales, it should be noted, have been falling for roughly a quarter of a century as drinkers increasingly turn to light beers and craft brews.)

For what it’s worth, after the Budweiser commercial aired MillerCoors released a statement defending all kinds of beer, including the craft category: “We believe each and every style of beer is worth fussing over … Quality isn’t something that belongs to a single style of beer or a single brewer.”

No. 4. Control distribution

For better or worse, America’s alcohol selection is the result of three-tier system, in which brewers and importers (tier #1) must use distributors (tier #2) to place their beverages in the stores and restaurants that ultimately sell them (tier #3). “Independent beer distributors,” the National Beer Wholesalers Association states, “work to help new brands get to market and to ensure that consumers can choose from a vast selection of beer.”

The problem is that not all distributors are independent. Anheuser-Busch InBev has been purchasing distributors around the country—including two recently in Colorado, one of the nation’s craft beer strongholds. Critics say that there’s an imbalance when one company owns two of the three tiers for distribution, and point to the history of AB-owned distributors only selling AB products, thereby shutting out craft brands and forcing them to find other means of distribution.

Reuters reported this week that the U.S. Justice Department is currently conducting an investigation into allegations claiming that Anheuser-Busch InBev is violating antitrust regulations by purchasing distributors and only distributing its own products, while simultaneously using its size and power to pressure independent distributors to stay away from craft labels. After all, if it’s difficult or impossible for consumers to find craft beer in stores and restaurants, they’ll have little choice but to drink mass-produced brews.

No. 5. Merge and overwhelm the marketplace

“At some point, weak growth prospects can’t be concealed or offset,” Tara Lachapelle wrote this week in a Bloomberg column about why megamergers happen. “Mainstream brands such as AB InBev’s Bud Light and Coors Light, part of a joint venture between SABMiller and Molson Coors, have been losing share in the U.S. as the craft names gain.”

Because increasing sales of Budweiser and Coors Light seems impossible given changing consumer tastes, the companies seem to be trying to please shareholders by choosing consolidation—which at least looks like growth on paper.

There are many competitive advantages to creating one gigantic beer company too. Namely, advertising. According to a Marketplace report, AB InBev and SABMiller spend a total of $500 billion annually on sports sponsorships. But now that they’re not competing with each other for partnerships with, say, the Milwaukee Brewers or the Olympics, they’ll have more negotiating power and probably will be able to save some of that cash. “They will have a lot more leverage in the marketplace,” Chris Pearlman, executive vice president with Van Wagner Sports and Entertainment, explained. “Ultimately [they will] spend less than they would have had they remained separate.”

I have a suspicion that a lot of lobbying money will be flowing to make more onerous laws against microbrewers.

Thanks

Time for beer on a Friday night!

Picked up this hard to get release from Three Floyds earlier this week. This is their BrooDoo IPA.

This beer is brewed during the hop harvest with a portion of unkilned or “wet” hops fresh off the vine. Apricot in color, Broo Doo’s nose has dominant orange, pine sap and floral notes, balanced by a glazed nut and toffee malt body. This celebration of the hop harvest has intense tropical fruit, citrus and spicy accents that showcase the complexity of the hops we all love. October release.
    Poured golden into a Shaker glass with a larger, gold-tinged, white head. Has a sweet, hoppy smell with a lot of orange and apricot. Just a little bit of the mentioned pine and some caramel malt. Nice malt and hop flavor blend! The hops come across piney in taste. The bitterness is very mild but lingers well into the aftertaste. The body is on the thinner side and has a decent amount of carbonation. A bit atypical for most IPAs I've had. A nice 7% ABV. Pretty good IPA from Three Floyds!

Thanks

Next up tonight is another new release from Rhinegeist, Exum Pale Ale.

Exum Pale Ale, formerly known as Nez, features a bevy of grapefruit, lime, and resiny hop flavors with a light malt backbone.
    Poured a dark, clear gold into a Lager glass with a substantial white head. Citrus hop with a very light malt smell. Taste is much like the smell with citrus and tropical fruit flavors. Mildly bitter but mostly on the back. Body is medium. Comes in at 6.4% ABV. Decent but not my cup of tea for more than giving it a try, though I'd certainly drink it if offered.

Thanks

Time for beer!

Up tonight is another Rhinegeist brew, Alice Belgian-Style Blonde.

A light Belgian Ale with spicy banana and pear notes, complemented with late hop additions of a newer American variety called Lemondrop.
    Poured a well, blonde, into a Tulip glass with a medium-large white head. The mentioned spicy banana and pear notes are very easy to pick up in the scent. I do get the same notes in the flavor as the nose but overall the flavors on this are very light. A little bit of malt and a little bit of a bitter hop bite. Oddly I think this smells more potent than it tastes. Body is thin and watery with a crisp, dry finish. Despite this being light on taste, it does boast a 6.3% ABV so it has that going for it. Not bad by any means but not the best I've had from Rhinegeist. I just like my brews to be a little more "exciting" in the flavor department.

Thanks

The other one I'm doing for tonight is a limited seasonal release from Jackie O's called Barking Pumpkin. As you can guess from the name, this is a pumpkin ale.

A huge malt bill gives this fall seasonal beer its unique canvas. 60 pounds of locally hand picked pumpkin are roasted and glazed with brown sugar and honey in our pub’s pizza oven. The pumpkin flesh (no skin, it adds an astringent bitterness) is added to the mash melding with the already complex grist. American hop varieties provide a formidable bitterness and some great flavor and aroma. At the end of the boil the wort is spiced with ginger, coriander, cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, and more brown sugar help sculpt this pumpkin beer. After the fermentation the beer spends a little over a week on vanilla beans and cinnamon sticks!
    Poured a clear, red-brown into a Shaker glass with a medium khaki head. Smells like what you'd typically smell in a good pumpkin ale. Pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg but you also get the mentioned ginger and honey. This does indeed have a large malt backbone as they state. The previously mentioned scents are also found within the flavor in well balanced proportion. Pretty sweet with a ghostly bitterness on the finish. The body is on the heavy side and this features a 9% ABV. Not the best pumpkin ale I've had but a very, very good pumpkin ale nonetheless. Definitely recommend!

Thanks

Up tonight is a new one I picked up last week. It's pretty clear why I had to get it.

This is from Shmaltz Brewing Company of New York that normally brews the He'Brew brand beer. Haven't had anything from them before.

This is Star Trek Vulcan Ale - The Genesis Effect Red Session IPA, brewed under license.

Star Trek™ Vulcan Ale? Make It So, Number One. ​​​​​​​Federation of Beer announces that Shmaltz Brewing Company of Clifton Park, NY has brewed a new Star Trek-themed beer called Vulcan Ale – The Genesis Effect, that is now available on Planet Earth. Under license by CBS Consumer Products, Vulcan Ale – The Genesis Effect will pay homage to the Star Trek franchise and its legacy, tying into the storyline of The Wrath of Khan as well as Shmaltz’s own brand of He’brew craft beers. Developed by Shmaltz Lead Brewer, Richie Saunders, Vulcan Ale – Genesis Effect is a Red Session IPA. It uses a blend of hops meant to invoke a sense of intergalactic wonder and adventure – Galaxy, Warrior and Comet, to name a few. Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/2663231#ixzz3oTJeE1Jh
    Poured a darker amber with a decent sized, light brown head. The scent is mostly fruit and citrus hops with with just a little malt. Much more malt in the taste than in the nose. There is also the citrus and fruit hop taste like the scent. Has a medium, lingering bitterness. The body is on the thin side and finishes dry. Has a 5.4% ABV. A little more bitter than I prefer but not at all and it gets bonus points for the Star Trek theme.

Thanks

Felt like trying a new brew tonight. This one is yet another limited release from Three Floyds. This is their Deesko Berliner Style Weisse Beer

A Munster Style Berliner Weiss. Tart, refreshing, and perfect for summer. Try it with one of these syrup options: Watermelon, Peach, Strawberry, Lychee, or Chipotle Pineapple

Previous batches have been as low as 3% ABV or as high as 5.9% ABV.

Most recent bottling is 6.5% ABV
    We're a little late for Summer but I just picked this up about 2 weeks ago...

This is supposed to be served in a beer glass called a Bowl that is short and wide with straight sides. Don't have such an animal so I did a little looking and it looks like most people are pouring it into a Tulip so, a Tulip it is.

Poured a pale, clear gold into a Tulip with a medium sized white head that vanished quickly. Has a tart, funky smell made up of apple and wheat. Taste is refreshingly tart with a noticeable wheat flavor. This is quite tart, in fact perhaps too much for some but as I've posted before I like 'em tart and this one is a good example. Body is on the thinner side. As mentioned, the ABV is 6.5%. This isn't all that complex of a brew but it is very good!

Thanks

Last week week, picked up a new batch. Some of which were on the pricey side.

Tonight's is not one of the expensive ones. This one is the newest in Rogue's Voodoo Doughnut line, Mango Astronaut.

Poured a dark, coppery-gold into a Shaker with a thicker, golden head that persists. Very strong smell of mangoes with maybe a little apricot but, mostly mango. The strong mango smell carries over into the taste which is dominated by mango. There's also a solid malt backbone and just a little, very subtle tropical fruit hop bitterness on the backside. Body is thin and crisp. Moderate 5.5% ABV. Since this has such a strong fruit flavor, it might not be for everyone but I find it to be a nice change of pace. I think this would have been more fitting to drink about 4-5 months ago when the weather was a bit warmer.

Thanks

Got another one up for review tonight...

This is a new release from Left Hand called Bittersweet Imperial Coffee Milk Stout

This big stout get’s aggressive with a boost from Allegro Coffee’s Exotic Mocha Java Blend. The coffee’s dark cherry flavors and spicy undertones weave into the rich, milky sweet stout like a chocolate-covered espresso bean melting on your tongue. Bitter then sweet. Sweet then bitter. It’s Bittersweet.
    Allowed to warm a bit since this is a higher ABV brew. Poured a deep brown into a Snifter with a light brown head. Has a very rich, freshly brewed coffee smell. Flavor of quality, medium-dark roasted coffee accompanied by a subtle sweet chocolate flavor and a far more noticeable and sweet lactic flavor. The bitterness is overhyped. It's barely there which, I think, makes this even better. I just don't prefer the more bitter coffee stouts. Body is on the heavier side. ABV is practically 9% at 8.9%. Left Hand really hit it out of the park with this splendid coffee stout! Bravo!

Thanks

Been a while since I posted up one of these. Was trying to drop some weight before the holidays since I knew I'd be putting some on.

In the mean time I haven't stopped buying new beer so I've ended up with a pile of new ones to try.

Tonight I'm going to have a limited release from local Madtree called Rum Barrel Aged PumpCan.

Rum Barrel Aged Trunk Series

When you scrape away the bark of a tree, you start to discover its age and character. Ring after ring, nature reveals the kind of magnificence that only the passage of time can bring. Savor this beer and enjoy the many layer of MadTree.

Plundering his way down the Ohio River, fending off mutinies from his crew, and indulging in all the spoils of rum on board, The Great Captain PumpCan is now sailing straight for your pie hole. Be sure to steer clear of the plank.
    Poured a golden brown into a Shaker with a smallish light tan head. Very rich smell of rum, butter, and slight pumpkin spice. So much going on with the taste in this! There is a mellow, warming rum flavor along with caramel malts, pecan, pumpkin, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Overall pretty sweet. Medium body with a nice 8% ABV. A damn fine brew from Madtree! If I had known how good this was, I might have picked up a second bottle, despite the price tag.

Thanks

Wanted to try another tonight.

This is a new release from Clown Shoes. This is their Flight Of The Angry Beast Imperial Stout and Barleywine Ale Aged in Bourbon and Scotch Barrels.

For the fourth installment in our "Beast" series, Sir Walter Scott has tamed the irate monster. Sort of. Here you see the creature redirected as he attempts to incinerate a herd of innocent unicorns. To celebrate, we blended 1/3 Undead Party Crasher aged in bourbon barrels, 1/3 Blaecorn Unidragon aged in scotch barrels and 1/3 Billionaire aged in scotch barrels. Hooray!
    Allowed to warm slightly. Poured an inky black into a Snifter with the thinnest of light brown heads. Smells mostly of charred wood, a little bit of chocolate, bourbon, and black licorice. The taste is much like the smell but the chocolate is more pronounced along with some caramel and vanilla. A slight bitterness on the back end. Fairly boozy. Very rich. The body is substantial and this boasts a 10.75% ABV. A nice job by Clown Shoes with this brew!

Thanks

Got another Clown Shoes brew up for tonight!

This is their Coffee Pecan Pie Porter

American porter brewed with pecans and spices with coffee added.
    Poured black with a large brown head like motor oil into a Shaker. Strong roasted coffee and cocoa smell with a little char. Tastes of cocoa, light pecan, malt, and roasted coffee. There is a slight bitterness from the coffee and a sweetness from the cocoa that complement each other well. Body is on the thinner side. Weighs in at 8.5% ABV. Yet another really good beer from Clown Shoes!

Thanks

Tonight's review is a new, very limited limited release from Rivertown and Yazoo called Oro Agrio.

What you hold in your hand is the passion, patience, blood, sweat, and tears of two breweries that have developed a strong bond over their mutual love of wild and sour beers. Oro Agrio (sour gold) is a very limited release collaboration born between Embrace the Funk/Yazoo Brewing Company in Nashville, TN and the Rivertown Brewing Company in Lockland, OH. This wonderfully rounded, spicy, golden rye ale is fermented with a very distinct culture of Brettanomyces supplied by Embrace the Funk, and has been aging in Tequila Barrels from Southern Mexico at Rivertown for over a year.

Once the funk accomplished its task, we blended this rare collaboration with a hint of margarita-inspired flavors to balance the intensely tart base with the complex, yet simple flavors derived from the tequila barrels. We hope you enjoy abrazando el funk tenaz!
    Poured a dirty gold into a Tulip with an extremely small white head. Smells heavily of tequila with a funky twist. Big tequila flavors accompanied by some funky malt and a slight spice. The flavor is very bold! Body is medium. No idea what the ABV is, it isn't listed at RateBeer or Beer Advocate. All of these flavors work excellently together to make a really good beer!

Thanks

For the kickoff of what is hopefully the Bengals' division win, going to review a long time hometown beer. It's not the highest rated and has never been a huge deal but, in celebration of one of the best Bengals' season in a while Hudepohl has released a HuDey branded case of their Hudepohl Amber Lager, just like they did in the '80s.

Poured a copper-gold into a Lager glass with a big, gold tinged white head. Not much scent. A little malt. A lot of yeasty malt on the taste. Pretty sweet. Not much to this but, it's a cheap drinker. Perfect for drinking during a football game! Props to them for the special edition bottles for the Bengals! Too bad they're not really Bengals branded like the old cans. Guessing too much licensing BS...

Thread Information