Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Beer!

Just poured another Dogfish brew. This time it is their Pennsylvania Tuxedo Imperial IPA.

Pennsylvania Tuxedo pays homage to the flannel suited hunters and gatherers who dwell deep in the back country woods of Central PA. Pennsylvania Tuxedo Brewed in collaboration with Family Run outerwear company Woolrich, our two like-minded companies came together to make a beer with Pacific Northwest hop varieties to make a concoction with a grassy citrus kick complimented by the resinous conifer qualities of fresh green Spruce Tips. We went into the forests of Northern Pennsylvania and Georgetown Delaware and picked these fresh tips ourselves.
    Poured a golden copper into a Snifter with a small cream colored head that didn't last long. Big time citrus and pine hops and a little bit of malt. The smell completely betrays the taste. Taste is nothing like the smell! The taste has decidedly berry flavor with some caramel malts, spruce, and some hop flavors. Medium bodied with a fairly dry finish. A decent 8.5% ABV. A very unique and tasty beer for sure!

Thanks

Just opened up a bit of a special bottle of beer, a bomber of Sierra Nevada Barrel-Aged Narwhal Imperial Stout.

Barrel-Aged Narwhal is our deliciously dark Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels. Barrel aging is a strange science; it mellows some characteristics of the original beer while intensifying others. Narwhal’s aggressive roastiness has calmed, but the rich, chocolate-like malt backbone is brought to the fore. Black as midnight, this intense stout is complex with notes of cocoa and espresso balanced with hints of vanilla and toasted coconut from the oak casks. Nearly as rare as it’s nautical namesake, try Barrel-Aged Narwhal while you can because like the creature itself, it will soon dive into the depths and leave nary a trace behind.
    First off, I'll mention that the price of admission on this one is on the steeper side at $20 for the bottle but with nearly a 100% rating on RateBeer it is supposed to be nearly perfection in a bottle!

Allowed to warm from refrigerator temperature a bit. Poured pitch black into a Snifter with a thin light brown head that faded quickly into a ring around the glass. The smell of this is made up of boozy bourbon, roasted malt chocolate, and a bit of espresso coffee. Very rich taste that is very much like the smell with an oakyness and some vanilla added in. Body is super thick! Has a big time 12.9% ABV that while mellow is definitely noticeable and has a warming finish. This is really quite good and probably one of the best examples of a bourbon barrel aged Imperial Stout out there!

Thanks

I had seen this one a long time ago and got a good chuckle out of the label but just never felt like spending the $12 on a bomber of it. Party Source was clearing out some old stock a couple weeks back and had this marked at $4 so I figured I'd finally get it.

This is a collaboration between Westbrook and Evil Twin called Justin Blåbær, a Berliner Weisse style beer.

A collaboration between Evil Twin brewing, Westbrook Brewing and The Charleston Beer Exchange.

Bottled in 22oz bottles at Westbrook Brewing.

Blueberry Berliner Weisse brewed with loads of blueberries and unlike its namesake, brewed by Fanø Bryghus, this beer is not aged in red wine barrels.
    Poured a slightly pink, golden into a Shaker (though a Bowl style glass is recommended, I don't have one) with a good sized pink tinged, white head. Has an aroma of blueberries, yeast, and a slight funk. Taste is sour blueberries and malts. Body is watery thin and crisp with a semi-dry finish. Has a fairly lightweight 4.5% ABV. Not bad but just okay. Probably would have been disappointed if I had paid full price though.

Thanks

we need a "like" button. lol
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Wanted to give everyone a heads up.

Just in time for the warm months of hammocks and grilling out, my second favorite grilling beer is hitting shelves after a (I think) 2 year hiatus of not hitting the shores of the mainland.

As I posted in my review many, many pages ago in this thread, this beer works very well for grilling out seafood or just steak. Also great for kicking back and relaxing outdoors with. And at $9-$10 for a sixer, it's on par with Oberon and won't break the bank.

I've tried several coconut beers and they're either too weak on the coconut flavor or lacking otherwise.

I guess now that it's back I can open up that last bottle I had been saving!

Thanks

Hahaha! This popped up in my YouTube recommended videos when I was watching something else. Figured I'd share it here. If you can't laugh at yourself...

Triumph the Insult Comic Dog at the 2013 Great American Beer Festival.

Thanks

I've had a couple of these new Kona Koko Browns and it seems like they've changed the recipe from the old one.

It is possible that this one is now being brewed on the mainland. I had heard that due to demand they contract out some production to a brewer in, I think, Oregon. That might account for the change in flavor.

The change being the coconut flavors are quite a bit less pronounced from the previous ones I had which is disappointing since that's what really made it. Even the 2 year old bottle in my fridge had stronger coconut flavors. It's still there just not as strong. Still a good beer though!

Thanks

In celebration I have opened up my first 2016 brewed Oberon!

Hopefully it will help usher in the warmer weather.

I was driving through sleet and snow showers earlier today.

Thanks

we've been having cold and rain here. It is headed east and will be there in a couple days. lol

Beer... not so much. LOL
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Well, my incantations must have worked. This week went from being mostly wet and cold/cool to sunny and warm starting tomorrow! By Thursday we'll be in the upper 60s, lower 70s!

Now for a beer review! One I've been meaning to try for a bit, Three Floyds' Alpha King.

Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.

Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If you’re unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.
    Poured a deep amber with a decent sized golden head. Smells of sweet orange. Tastes fairly sweet. Also has mild pine and citrus hop flavors complimented by caramel hops. Finishes with a little bitterness. Very thick and creamy body. Has a moderate 6.5 ABV. Very smooth drinking and tasty brew from Three Floyds!

Thanks

It's been quite a while since I've had anything from the New Zealand brewers, Yeastie Boys. A couple weeks back when making a run to Party Source, I spotted a new arrival from them. This is their PKB Remix 2015 (Dark Matta).

Dark and rich, yet fresh and hoppy (with our favourite Earl Grey Blue Flower for an extra kick).
    Poured oily black with a very minimal brown head into an English Pint. Has an interesting scent... Smells of smokey hops and cocoa. Maybe black licorice. Tastes of roasted malts, peaty smoke, chocolate, and the Earl Grey flavors come out at the end. Some bitterness in the aftertaste. The body is surprisingly thin for as dark as this is. A healthy 7.5% ABV. A very richly flavored brew! Good job Kiwis!

Thanks

Tonight's review is one that has to be my quickest after it has hit shelves. This beer is so new there isn't even a RateBeer page for it yet!

This is a Clown Shoes exclusive Ohio release called White Tail Unidragon, an Russian Imperial Stout.

There aren't many Unidragons out there in the wide world, but the beasts do get frisky. The White Tailed Unidragon is the product of interspecies shenanigans. To commemorate this most unusual love child, we bourbon barrel aged Ohio Unidragon 2015, creating a huge, rare, and eccentric brew.

Since there's no RateBeer page up on this I initially wasn't sure what to pour this into but, using my superior beer tasting skills I determined that based on previous high alcohol Russian Imperial Stouts, a Snifter would be a good choice for it.

Poured a thick, black into a Snifter with a big and dense brown head. Allowed to warm slightly. Has aromas of oak, vanilla, sweet toasty malts, and noticeably boozy bourbon. The flavor is a lot like the smell with a lot of roasted malts present accompanied by bourbon, sweet vanilla, and oakyness. Very rich flavor best suited to sipping. The body is unbelievably big and bold! This beer doesn't try at all to hide it's high test 12% ABV. Very in your face, in a good way, yet supremely smooth. Needless to say, thanks to the 12%, this has a sizable warming on the finish. Not an inexpensive brew at $15 for a bomber but most certainly worth the price!

Thanks

Got another very new one up for review tonight...

This is Anderson Valley's Salted Caramel Bourbon Barrel Aged Porter.

Aged for 6 months in Wild Turkey bourbon barrels, our Salted Caramel is woody and slightly sweet with notes of vanilla and coconut. It’s smooth with a medium-light body and mouthfeel and a light banana/fruit aroma. There’s some caramel and peanut brittle flavors but not cloying or overpowering.
    Poured a dark brown into an English Pint with a good sized golden brown head. Smells of malt, vanilla, nut, and caramel. Taste is quite good! A nice oaky bourbon flavor mixed with salty caramel and malts. I do get a bit of the coconut mentioned as well. Body light-medium. Modest 6% ABV. Pretty tasty and very drinkable! Good stuff!

Thanks

Since tonight is the return of Game Of Thrones, tonight's review is a natural fit.

This is the 6th Game Of Thrones inspired brew released by Ommegang, Seven Kingdoms.

Seven Hells! Seven Kingdoms Hoppy Wheat Ale, the newest beer in the Game of Thrones series from HBO Global Licensing and Brewery Ommegang, is slated to debut this spring ahead of the premiere of season six of HBO’s critically-acclaimed and Emmy award-winning show. The brew will be available all throughout the realm – the United States that is – both on draft and in large-format 750ml bottles.

Seven Kingdoms is a marriage of a traditional Belgian-style wheat and a hop-forward American ale – but unlike so many of the marriages on the show, the resulting hoppy wheat is pleasant, playful and inspired. At 6.9% ABV, it possesses a nuanced complexity that pairs nicely with the hop-forward characteristics that make it surprisingly refreshing.

“We love bringing as much inspiration, thoughtfulness and creativity to the Game of Thrones beers as we can,” said Mike McManus, Innovation Manger at Brewery Ommegang. “This last season, the imaginativeness of the show was pretty astounding so we aimed for a beer that could hope to match that. A fusion of two wonderful styles was an idea that really excited our team.”

“With Seven Kingdoms, Ommegang has crafted another excellent brew which we know our fans will love,” said Josh Goodstadt, Vice President of Global Licensing at HBO. “The world of Westeros is varied and complex and this varietal embodies those characteristics while offering a new and unique taste to beer drinkers.”

Seven Kingdoms pours a hazy pale yellow with a thick cap of pure white foam. The aroma is floral, citrusy with a touch of passion fruit and a slightly herbal hop aroma underpinned with yeast notes of banana, ripe fruit, and spicy phenols. The taste is a full, round hop flavor with tart orange and lemon with a substantial wheat maltiness and the finish has slightly lingering hop notes without being harshly bitter. The mouthfeel is smooth and silken owing to the wheat and oats.

The new brew is hopped with Bravo, Centennial, Citra, Cascade, and Columbus, and brewed with pilsner, white and red wheat, oats, and a touch of sugar to lighten the body. Ommegang’s unique house yeast is used in both primary fermentation and bottling conditioning.

Poured a bright gold into a Trappist glass with a big, foamy white head. The official description pretty much nails the smell. Floral hops, herbal notes, and a bit of banana and lemon. Notable hops in the taste with slight bitterness. Also tastes of lemon citrus, spices, and yeasty bread. Body is full and creamy with a semi-dry finish with a lingering bitterness. Smooth drinking. Has a 6.9% ABV. A pretty good beer from Ommegang!

Thanks

Starting the evening off with another newer Clown Shoes. Not as new as White Tail Unidragon but pretty new nonetheless.

This is their Barista Breakfast Brown.

A Clown Shoes legend, Brown Angel, put away her dancing shoes to focus on extracting espresso, brewing coffee and pouring latte art with Zen-like focus. The Barista Breakfast Brown is crafted with Maris Otter malt, flaked oatmeal, cold brewed espresso, milk sugars and the spirit of angel wings.
    Poured a dark brown into a Tulip glass with a very large brown, light brown head. Smells of malt, roasted coffee, and sweet cocoa. Taste is very much like the smell with the addition of caramel malts and some lactic flavors. Fairly sweet with a very slight, pleasant warming thanks to the 8% ABV. The body is on the thinner side but creamy and smooth. Very tasty brew! Clown Shoes has another winner!

Thanks

I wanted a beer appropriate for my steak dinner and thought, "What better than Deschutes' The Abyss?"

I haven't had it before but decided that based off of the description, it would compliment it nicely. Picked it up around February and have had it sitting in the fridge since.

(Yeah, it's a 2011 label but the 2015 is the same and I like the picture. )

This special Reserve Series brew will only be offered December – February (limited distribution)
    The Abyss: Stout brewed with licorice and molasses with 33% aged in oak and oak bourbon barrels. It’s dark. It’s deep. It’s mysterious. Aged in French Oak and Bourbon barrels, this special brew has immeasureable depth inviting you to explore and discover its rich, complex profile. The flavor of molasses and licorice draw you in further and further with each sip. The Abyss beckons. Enjoy the journey.
    Poured extremely deep black into a Snifter with a sizable, dense brown head. Smells of roasted coffee, cocoa, slight malt, and a bit of bourbon. Tastes of mocha coffee, roasted malts, oak, and bourbon. Very robust body and a hearty 12.2% ABV which makes itself known. Very, very rich. It was indeed a perfect match for dinner.

Thanks

I picked tonight's beer up right after release about 2 months ago but I've had it sitting in the fridge waiting.

Dogfish has a brew called Noble Rot which is a grape must beer. This is their Oak Aged Noble Rot.

This saison-esque science project gets complexity and fermentable sugars from the addition of two unique white wine grapes, sourced with our friends at Alexandria Nicole Cellars in Prosser, Washington. The first addition is the must of viognier grapes that have been infected with a benevolent fungus called botrytis. This ’noble rot’ reduces the water content in the grapes while magnifying their sweetness and complexity. The second is a pinot gris intensified by a process called ’dropping fruit,’ where large clusters of grapes are clipped to amplify the quality and distinction of those left behind. We then aged Noble Rot in one of our oak tanks for an entire year, making for a hazy ale that has a spicy white wine body and a dry, tart finish.
    Poured a bright, clear golden with a medium, golden-white head. Smells of tangy green apple, white grape, with a slight spicy funk. You get an immediate taste of the oak flavors which mingles nicely with the white wine like flavors and a bit of malt. You also get some warming from the decent 9% alcohol on the finish. Not super complex but very tasty and highly drinkable! Body is thin and finish is dry. More good stuff from Dogfish!

Thanks

Felt like giving a new beer a try tonight so I'm opening up a brand new release from Rhinegeist I picked up last week called Mushhushshu.

A blend of four black beers aged in bourbon barrels for more than six months, this melange strikes a dynamic balance of wood character with the addition of coffee, vanilla, and cocoa nibs.

Panther Porter: 50%
    Bertha Milk Stout: 30%
    Ink Imperial Stout: 10%
    Panda Oatmeal Stout: 10%
    Poured a very dark brown into a Snifter with a very thin and short lived, light brown head. Smells of roasted malt, sweet cocoa, mildly bitter coffee, and oak all of which make for a fairly unique smell. The taste is very much like the smell with the coffee flavors being less bitter than the smell indicated and, a nice warming bourbon flavor that underpins everything. Body is thin-medium. Interestingly, I kind of expected it to be on the thicker side. Has a well balanced 8.5% ABV. Really good beer by Rhinegeist!

Thanks

I grabbed a bottle of this a month or so ago and have been meaning to give it a try.

This is a re-release of a previous Stone brew: Stone 20th Anniversary Encore Series: Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Who knew a worldwide hop shortage in 2008 would give rise to such a memorable, delicious beer? When it came time to craft a commemorative offering for our 12th anniversary, we decided to trade in the bitterness of hops for the bitterness of unsweetened chocolate, and paired that with flaked oats. Featuring a thick, rich, roasty mouthfeel and chocolate-heavy flavors and aromas, this onyx-colored, malt-forward beauty became an instant classic that shares space on our liquid trophy case alongside our hop-focused fan favorites. Rebrewed for our 20th Anniversary Encore Series.

Hops: Summit, Willamette, Galena & Ahtanum
    Poured an extremely deep black into a Snifter with a dark brown, medium head. Big notes of chocolate and coffee with alcohol. A bit smokey. Bitter coffee and chocolate taste with ash, roasted malt, and alcohol. Proper 9.2% ABV. Big body with a warming finish. Very good brew from Stone and a great beer for sipping on a rainy evening while listening to Mark Levin!

Thanks

With my steak tonight, I decided to pair it with a brand new release from Founders I just picked up the other day when I was grabbing my weekend 12 pack of Oberon.

This is their Sumatra Mountain Brown.

This bold brown ale gets its body from a team of malts, including caramel malt for sweetness, flaked barley for dense foam, a bit of chocolate malt for color, and aromatic and munich malts for added depth. German and perle hops add a touch of bitterness to balance the sweetness. The addition of rich Sumatra coffee takes this perfectly balanced brown ale to a decadent level.
    Poured a deep brown into a Snifter with a light brown medium head. Has a very rich smell of deep roasted mocha coffee. A lot of roasted mocha coffee in the taste accompanied by a little lactose and alcohol. Rich, full bodied and semi-sweet. The level of bitterness is barely there, just about perfect and, does indeed balance the sweetness very well. 9% ABV. Really, really damn good beer. Probably one of the best coffee flavored beers I've had the pleasure of having!

Thread Information