Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Beer!

Quote Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
    You're gonna have a hangover

I'm going to try to avoid that. The nog has to age for a month so, as much as I'd like to, none for now (it smelled really good!). I've heard you can actually age it for a year or more. As it ages it thickens. Interestingly, the abundance of alcohol prevents any nasties in it.

Prepped and ready...

Some people call me crazy for keeping some old bottles around. I call myself smart.

Thanks

Tonight's review is yet another bringback from the road trip (and there's still a number left!). This is another brew from Kettle House in Missoula called Eddy Out Pale Ale.

Eddy Out Pale Ale (the beer formerly known as Bitters Pale Ale) has been a favorite at the Kettlehouse Brewery since 1996. Brewed with a healthy dose of Cascade aroma hops, Eddy Out is a classic American Pale Ale. This style is characterized by a citrusy American hoppiness balanced with a slight biscuit flavored malt character. The light copper color in this ale comes from caramelized malt which also aids in head retention. All this to describe a highly quaffable brew with a crisp hop finish. Great on a hot summer day, or a cold winter day while dreaming of a hot summer day. 5.5% abv and 50 IBUs
    Poured into a Shaker glass. The pour on this was quite strange and I don't think it's because it's spoiled since it doesn't smell like it has and was only canned 2 months ago. Poured extremely cloudy and sediment filled about 2/3 of the way into the can. So much sediment it almost seems like this can came from the bottom of the vat. Also some white flecks throughout. The reviews all talk about a clear golden/amber color. I think there's something wrong here but I'll give it a sip anyway...

Well, it tastes like beer mostly but has the consistency of drinking oatmeal.

Going to dump this one and try another. Hopefully they aren't all like this... I've got 2 cans. The other 2 went to my brother.

Well, can 2 started out with a clear golden pour and then suddenly turned to oatmeal too.

Image searching reveals this is how it's supposed to look:

Thus ends this review I guess... If they weren't 2,000 miles away I'd demand my money back.

Thanks

Well, let's try this again...

Another trip bring back. This one from No-Li Brewhouse of Spokane, Washington. This is their Born & Raised IPA.

This big, bold copper-colored ale showcases Munich & Crystal malts to create a big supportive body on which we layer our favorite Washington hops. Chinook & Cascade provide citrus and piney flavors, while Northern Brewer adds a hint of mint. Dry-hopping with Cascade and Columbus increases the beer’s hoppy aromas. Malt, hops and yeast-derived fruitiness combine to create our most complex offering.
    Actually poured like a beer! Poured a deep copper color into a Shaker with a medium white head. Big fruity hop smell with a little caramel to go with it. Has flavors of malt and resin hops. Sizable bitterness but not overpowering. Medium heavy bodied. Has a respectable 7% ABV. Pretty good IPA but definitely more on the bitter side than I personally like.

Thanks

Since I'm off tomorrow and I've already done my part for meal prep (until the second Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday ) figured I'd kick back and enjoy a new beer.

This one comes from, very local to me, Old Firehouse Brewery and is their Pin-Up Girl American Blonde Ale.

An easy drinking, slightly malty, traditional American blonde ale, with a slightly fruity clean finish. Brewed with a malt blend of 2-row, munich, aromatic, carapils, and crystal 20 along with a hop blend of warrior, goldings and willamette.
    Poured a pale gold into an English Pint with a big, white head. Smells yeasty, sweet, and lightly fruity. The taste is malt forward with slight fruity hops. Body is light, bordering on light-medium. Finish is semi-dry and has a light, lingering bitterness. Has a reasonable 5% ABV. Quite good and easy drinking brew!

Thanks

I just found tonight's brew a few days ago at Party Source. It is the newest Voodoo Doughnut release from Rogue called Grape Guerrilla.

This ale was inspired by the Voodoo Doughnut Grape Ape doughnut, a creation that features vanilla frosting, grape dust and purple sprinkles. Ale brewed with natural flavors.
    Poured dark copper/amber into a Shaker with a good sized golden head. Huge smell of grape soda. You can smell it from 2 feet away it's so strong! In the background is a bit of malt and vanilla. Taste is lot like the smell. Flavors of grape, grainy malts, and then finishes with a slightly uncharacteristic muted bitterness. Medium bodied with a nice 7.2% ABV. Didn't really expect any bitterness in what smelled to be a fairly sweet beer. Truth be told it seems a little out of place. Otherwise another interesting Rogue/Voodoo Doughnut beer!

Thanks

Going to wrap up the weekend with a review of a new Quaff Bros. release. You may remember the review of S'more Of What? earlier this year. This is an evolution of it called Even S'more Of What?

Quaff Bros. Even S'more of What? is a 15% ABV Stout with almost two pounds of marshmallows per gallon. That’s twice as much as the last batch!! The addition of marshmallows leads to a fluffy mouthfeel and helps with the smoothness of this amazing beer. This Stout is off the charts and will make you laugh out loud with excitement due to its deliciousness. Roasted coffee and baker’s chocolate melt into nuances of vanilla and graham cracker. Smoky wood, milk chocolate and toffee notes along with the perfect amount of carbonation, make for a truly unique and brilliant drinking experience. We decided to bottle this one of a kind beer is 12 oz bottles this time and would like to use this platform to thank our friends at Listermann's for their wonderful execution on this beer. In the end, we took an already flawless beer and recipe and made it better.
    Poured thick and black into a Snifter with only a brown topping for a head. Allowed to warm a bit due to alcohol content. Hearty smell of oaky bourbon accompanied by sweet chocolate and graham cracker. Big rich flavors! I get everything from the scent in the taste in spades along with the sweet vanilla of marshmallows and finishes with a pleasant warmth. As the commercial description states, this definitely has a big, fluffy body. Has a strapping 15% ABV! This is definitely a desert beer meant for sipping. Really damn good but a shame they only bottled in in 12oz bottles. Would have liked a bit more of it for the $8 I paid.

Thanks

Alright, it's Grand Tour night and I'm going to kick back to enjoy the beautiful scenery of Italy, where the trio has traveled this week, with a nice adult beverage.

Tonight is not a regular beer night though, tonight is a Quaff Bros. mead night!

This is their Aisha Mead.

Aisha Mead is a Honey Wine that was aged in Bourbon barrels with the addition of peppers. At 14.5% ABV, we named it Aisha after the Moroccan goddess who was a woman of tremendous magnificence but with a sole intent on destruction. She is known to draw in her enemies with her beauty and then set them on fire with her eyes. We recommend enjoying the Mead with your eyes closed.
    Poured a deep copper-amber into a Snifter with no head. Smells of sweet honey, grape must, and slight oaky bourbon. Tastes is exactly like the smell with honey flavors dominant followed by oak. Finishes with a deep warming. A fairly viscous body that nicely matches the 14.5% ABV. A really good drink and nice for a slight change of pace.

Thanks

It's beer time on Friday night!

Tonight's brew is a new release from Stone, a new take on their Double Bastard, Arrogant Double Bastard - Bigger Longer Uncut.

Weakness Is worn on the sleeves. Boldness Is within the heart.This intensified blend of barrel-aged Double Bastard Ale is all heart baby. The weak will find it to be a telltale heart. It knows of your fallibility. It smells your fear. The heart of this beer disdains you, as it disdains all things homogenized, wimpy and uncultured. You do know the truth of yourself, no? If you hesitated to answer that, if even for a split second, that in and of itself is telling. If you aren’t capable of knowing the reality of yourself, this beer can and will take the responsibility of informing you of what you should already know. (And it you’ve lost your way in this text already and no longer are clear about what I am saying, your reading pace has exceeded your comprehension pace. Go back, slow down and start over, bright eyes.) Take a deep breath. Let it out slowly. Evenly. Give yourself some positive affirmations. Breathe deep again. There. Feel better? If you followed those instructions, then set this bottle down and back away immediately, you new age poseur. Fight or flight and I’d recommend the latter for you, tiger. Wet paper bags are more your speed.
    Poured a deep ruby-amber into a Tulip with a huge, golden head. Immediately on pour I get a huge smell of smokey peat! That pretty much dominates though I do get a little oaky whiskey. Lots and lots of smoke and char in the flavor! Wow! A little sweet malt and toffee comes through along with a fleeting hop bitterness. Pretty boozy thanks to the 13% ABV and has a fairly heavy body. This is quite an adventurous and bold beer! I like it a lot!

Thanks

At the same time Quaff Bros. released their Aisha mead, they also released another mead called Moura.

Moura Mead is a 14.5% ABV Honey Wine that was aged in Port Wine finished Angels Envy Whiskey barrels. We went with a Portuguese-influenced name since these barrels saw a Portuguese influence themselves. The name Moura refers to a mythical water genie who guards precious riches under the sea. This dry and slightly tart Mead is a treasure in itself.
    Like Aisha, this too poured deep copper-amber into a Snifter with no head. Has an interesting smell of red wine, oaky whiskey, and sweet honey. Strong red wine flavors followed up with a sweet and oaky backnote. Medium bodied with a 14.5% ABV. Much more mellow flavored and smoother drinking than Aisha. Both are certainly good drinks!

Thanks

Once again it's Grand Tour night and once again I'm enjoying a new brew!

Tonight's beverage of choice for the show is from Cincinnati's Christian Moerlein and is their FC Cincinnati Blood Orange IPA. An appropriate brew since the Trio is in England since this beer is a Moerlein tribute to the FC Cincinnati soccer team.

White IPA with a blend of white wheat, 2-row pale ale and honey malts brewed in honor of FC Cincinnati’s inaugural season. A fusion of three different hops were used along with floral and citrus aromas and Blood Orange puree.
    Poured a dark, coppery-gold into a Tulip with a smallish golden-white head. Strong, fresh citrus smell and a little sweet malt. Has a flavor of faint citrus hops with a grainy malt middle and a lingering bitter finish. Overall the flavor, like soccer compared to football, is pretty weak though. Body is medium. Has a 6% ABV. Pretty inoffensive IPA but more on the bland side. Punch up the blood orange and hop flavor and this would be better.

Thanks

Tonight's beer is a recent release from good old Quaff Bros called Wee Honey

Wee Honey is a smooth 11.1% brew, a barrel aged Scottish strong ale with honey and pecans brewed at Mt. Carmel Brewing Company in collaboration with Quaff Bros.
    Poured a deep brown into a Tulip glass (Thistle recommended but not available) with a big, light tan head. Big sweet smells of honey, caramel malt, brown sugar, and a touch of oak. Lots of sweet honey and rich oaky vanilla in the flavor. Also, very malt heavy! Warming finish. Medium-heavy body with a very nice 11.1% ABV. Really quite good! Another great brew from Quaff Bros.!

Thanks

The beer for tonight is Rhinegeists's Knucklehead. I had previously reviewed the Quaff Bros./Rhinegeist collaboration Rye Knucklehead but this is the base brew that it originated from.

A satisfying winter warmer ale that features a lightly malty backbone and slightly reddish hue.
    Poured a deep, copper-amber into a Tulip glass with a fairly large golden head. Lightly scented aroma that smells of fruity hops, caramel, and a slight spice. The flavor is malt heavy with notes of caramel as well as some slight spice and a hoppy bitter backnote. Finishes warm as advertised. Medium bodied with a 7.6% ABV. A nice drink!

Thanks

New review is for a very recent, new Dogfish release called Beer For Breakfast

20 years ago when Sam was first cooking up ideas for brews (literally) for his soon to be brewpub, one of the first concoctions tested and implemented was Chicory Stout, a breakfast-themed beer with Mexican Coffee, Chicory, and Licorice root. 20 years later, we’ve brewed a supped up mac-daddy version of this OG Dogfish brew to commemorate the anniversary of Chicory, aptly named Beer for Breakfast. We took the original Chicory recipe, doubled the grain bill to hit 10% ABV, and tricked it out with all other sorts of delicious Breakfast-minded ingredients including lactose sugar (the sugar that lends Milk Stouts their character); barley malt smoked over local Fifer Orchards wood; maple syrup harvested from trees at Northfield Mount Hermon, the Western Massachusetts school where Sam and wife Mariah met; Steve’s Smokey Double Dark roast coffee from J & S Bean Factory in St. Paul Minnesota (a special nod to one of Sam’s favorite bands – The Replacements, who hail from Minnesota and wrote one of Sam’s most beloved songs: Beer for Breakfast); and for the quintessential Delaware breakfast touch – 25 pounds of Rapa Scrapple, which was added to the mash. Huge notes of coffee in the nose give way to sweet, smokey, and savory layers in the flavor which overlap bittersweet chocolate, roasty espresso, and malty undertones. We don’t have much of this one, so come and get it while it lasts!
    Poured jet black into an English Pint with a big, dense brown head. Smokey aroma with coffee and chocolate. Flavors of roasted coffee and nuts, sweet chocolate, a little maple syrup, with a bit of malt. Body is on the thinner side of medium. Comes in at 7.4% ABV. Very nice tasting and easy drinking! As good as it is, I don't think I'll be drinking it for breakfast any time soon though.

Thanks

A little bit ago I opened a bottle of a collaboration beer done between Heavy Seas and Stone called Partner Ships Imperial Brown IPA

Brewed with Blackstrap Molasses in the kettle, chewy malt character supports layers of American hop mayhem ( we are playing with Stone after all) - a burly, palate obliterating Imperial Brown IPA!
    Poured a very dark brown into Snifter with a large khaki head. Smells of a rather even blend of citrus hops, roasted caramel malts, chocolate, and espresso. Has a resiny hop flavor along with toasted malt and chocolate. Moderate bitterness throughout and that lingers after. Medium bodied with a 9% ABV. Very interesting bittersweet flavors but a bit more heavy on the bitter than I prefer. Don't get nearly any of the molasses it says it's brewed with except probably the sweetness. Pretty good otherwise!

Thanks

As I am about to start the latest episode of Grand Tour, I have opened up the appropriately named Roar from Rhinegeist, a fairly new release, to celebrate the launch of official sales of the Ford Mustang in England.

We’re busting at the seams with pride as we drink in the new ROAR Double IPA by Rhinegeist! Our own Heidelberg Team Kentucky collaborated with the brewing team at Cincinnati’s Rhinegeist to come up with the recipe. The name ROAR is a nod to Heidelberg’s mission statement “Life ROARS through us” and is a celebration of our one-year partnership in Kentucky.

The “Cincy-Made” craft brew contains Amarillo, mosaic and citra hops, giving it apricot, peach, mango, grapefruit and citrus flavors and aromas.
    Poured clear gold into a Shaker with a huge golden head. Big fruit smells ranging from tropical to citrus. Big contrasting flavors of both bitter hops and sweet malt finishing with a lingering bitterness, which is no surprise since this boasts a big 110 IBU rating. Despite the very high IBU rating, the bitterness isn't biting and so isn't obnoxious. The body comes in on the lighter side of medium. Has a respectable 8% ABV. Pretty good despite being on the bitter side.

Thanks

I'm off tomorrow so felt like trying a new beer I just picked up. This is a collaboration between Rhinegeist and Sun King breweries called Emergency Malt Kit.

Our malt senses are tingling. We joined forces with our pals over at Sun King Brewing in Indy to whip up Emergency Malt Kit, a lumberjack of a brew jam-packed with oodles of malty goodness. A Scottish 100 Shilling, Emergency Malt Kit is a scotch-ale-meets-belgian-dark-hybrid, a tantalizing melding of our Mastodon and Sun King’s Wee Muckle. We hope this bad boy pleases your palate and gives you a flannelly, chocolatey and deeply malty two-state bear hug.
    Poured a deep amber-brown into a Shaker glass with a giant golden-brown head. Big caramel malt and roasted malt smells with a hint of cocoa. A definite malt heavy flavor to match the smell. Just like the smell there's caramel and cocoa with a underlying toasted note. Body is definitely on the thinner side. Has a nice 7% ABV. Pretty good drinking!

Thanks

To finish off the 2nd part of Grand Tour's awesome Namibia Special, I have another aptly named brew to go along with it.

Tonight's beer is Braxton's Blown Gasket robust/imperial porter.

A darker offering with a noticeably roasty aroma. Supportive notes may include bready, toffee-like, chocolate, and/or sweet aromas. A moderate hop aroma containing no fruity esters. Dark brown to almost black in color, with a beautiful tan head with excellent retention. The flavor profile is of moderately strong malt character, followed by roasty-dryness throughout to the finish. Medium hop bitterness, and low to moderate hop flavor to balance the roasted malts. Blown Gasket robust porter is a medium/medium full bodied beer.
    Poured deep brown into a Shaker with a decent sized, khaki head. Smells of sweet, roasted cocoa and caramel. Lots of the smell in the taste in which the sweetness is balanced by a slight bitterness in the background. There is definitely a lot going on in this beer tastewise! Medium bodied and has a healthy 7.5% ABV. A really tasty beer from Braxton!

Thanks

Since it's back to work tomorrow after the long holiday weekend, I'm going to do a single serving/can review.

Tonight's beer is from, very local to me, Old Firehouse Brewery. This is their Code 3 Scottish Ale.

A well balanced, decidedly delicious, malt forward copper color red ale, with a dry roasted finish. Brewed with primary base malt Maris Otter, along with select malts Crystal 120, Crystal 40, Munich, Chocolate and Roasted Barley along with a hop blend of Warrior, UK Progress and Willamette.
    Poured coppery-brown into an English Pint with a decent sized off-white head. Strong malt scent on pour. Smells sweet and roasty. Tastes of caramel, toasted bread, and earthy flavors with a very slight bitter finish. Light-medium bodied with a 5.2% ABV. Very easily drinkable and pretty good!

Thanks

Tonight I've got a limited release from local brewer MadTree. This is their Bourbon Barrel Aged Ye Olde Battering Ram.

Knock, knock. Who's there? Door shards and knockers in your face! This beer doesn't wait to be let in. Dark as night but scarier. Barricade your palate and batten down the hatches cause Olde Battering Ram is coming.
    Poured pitch black into a Snifter with a small brown head that didn't last long. Allowed to warm slightly. Has a rich smell of oaky bourbon, chocolate, toffee, and malt. Distinct oak flavor with some chocolate, vanilla, roasted malt, and a light bourbon finish. Body is definitely a lot thinner than I expected. A very robust 11.2% ABV that is hidden extremely well. Very good brew! With as hidden as the alcohol is and as smooth drinking as it is, this one will sneak up on you! Only criticism I have is I would have preferred the body to be a little heavier to match the rest of the profile of this beer.

Thanks

Tonight I've opened up a fairly new Rogue brew, Promise Gone Aw-Rye IPA.

Inspired by Rogue Farms Dream Rye, this ale was originally brewed as a special one- time holiday gift exclusively for Rogue employees. It was such a hit that at the urging of Brewmaster John Maier, we decided to share it with the world. Taste the terroir of the Dream Rye, with full malt body throughout and plenty of hops in the finish. We all enjoyed it and know you will too.
    Poured a deep amber into a Shaker with a large golden head that stuck around a while. The smell is a combination of sweet malt and fruit hop with just a little caramel. A lot of the smell is in the taste accompanied by some earthy rye and a slight bitter finish. Has a medium-heavy body and a 7.5% ABV. Not bad at all!

Thread Information