Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Last Ship

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default The Last Ship

Another new show, just a pilot for now, that looks interesting coming up in the new year and it has some big names behind it.

It is based off of the novel of the same name by William Brinkley. I've read the book and it is a pretty good read. Short synopsis of the novel's plot is that Russia and the US nuke each other making most all of the planet uninhabitable due to fallout (I know, a little farfetched...). The USS Nathan James survives and starts a quest to find a place not poisoned by fallout. The Nathan James eventually comes across a Russian sub and they then work together to survive.

Apparently in this show, it isn't going to be nuclear war but rather a global pandemic that does in everyone.

Also, Adam Baldwin is going to be in it!

Adam Baldwin Replaces Lost's Titus Welliver In TNT's The Last Ship

October 23, 2012

He's the man Firefly fans call Jayne (the hero of Canton!), and Chuck fans call John Casey. Since Chuck wrapped up, Adam Baldwin has offered his acting talent to a number of TV projects, including a voice role in Transformers Prime, and guest spots on Leverage and Law & Order: SVU, not to mention an episode of Castle, which reunited him with Firefly's Nathan Fillion. Baldwin may have found a more permanent place to hang his hat on the small screen, should things go well with Michael Bay's TNT pilot The Last Ship.

Executive produced by Michael Bay, The Last Ship is a pilot directed by Jonathan Mostow and written by Hank Steinberg and Steven Kane, based on a novel by William Brinkley. It follows the crew of a naval destroyer that ends up being among the remaining survivors following a global catastrophe that wipes out most of the planet's population. Deadline reported the news this week that Lost's Titus Welliver had to leave the role he was originally cast to play, departing the TNT project due to a family health emergency, which may or may not be related to his wife. It's bad news for fans of the Man in Black, and our thoughts go out to Welliver and his family.

Adam Baldwin has been cast to take over the role vacated by Welliver. He'll play Mike Slattery, "second in command to Captain Tom Chandler (Eric Dane) onboard the USS Nathan James." He's described as a fair main who cares about his family. The thought of Baldwin as a military man conjures the image of his character in Independence Day, the glass-shooting Major Mitchell. Baldwin's good at playing the serious guy, though Firefly and Chuck fans are likely familiar with his quiet sense of humor. Whether or not that comes in handy for this new role remains to be seen. We'll have to wait and see how The Last Ship does and whether or not it goes to series.

Thanks

Default Re: The Last Ship - New Show For 2013 On TNT

So it's "On the Beach?"
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Remake...

On the Beach, starring Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire and Anthony Perkins.

Except they had a nuclear sub...

The story is set in a then-future 1964, in the months following World War III. The conflict has devastated the northern hemisphere, polluting the atmosphere with nuclear fallout and killing all life. While the bombs were confined to the northern hemisphere, air currents are slowly carrying the fallout south. The only areas still habitable are in the far southern hemisphere, like Australia.

From Australia, survivors detect an incomprehensible Morse code signal from San Diego in the United States. In the hope that someone is still alive back home, the last American nuclear submarine, USS Sawfish, under Royal Australian Navy command, is ordered to sail north from Melbourne to try to make contact with the signal sender. The captain, Dwight Towers (Gregory Peck), leaves behind his good friend, the alcoholic Moira Davidson (Ava Gardner), despite his feelings of guilt about the deaths of his wife and children in Connecticut. Towers refuses to admit they are dead and continues to behave accordingly.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

beat me by seconds
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

I enjoyed On the Beach, I just wish they had found some way to overcome the issue.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Oh, and if you ever have 3-4 hours to kill, watch "Until the end of the world" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101458/

It's not a great movie but it's a movie that pretty much asks all the right questions.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

The situation is actually more dire in The Last Ship as in there is practically no habitable land left.

ETA: Oh, and pretty much the only people known to be alive are the crew of the Nathan James and the Russian sub. They are also faced with the conundrum of continuing the human race.

Thanks

So... "Water World" then?

LOL
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Almost except the Nathan James is faced with eventually running out of food and water (it's a nuclear powered cruiser so no danger of running out of fuel) and that along with continuing the human race becomes one of the driving reasons for them ti find a habitable island.

Thanks

Ok... So "Battle Star Galactica"

lol
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Come to think of it, that's a pretty close comparison! LOL!

Thanks

/chuckles

I knew we would get it eventually! LOL

So the new movie is a combination of "On the Beach", "Water World" and "Battle Star Galactica".

It just lacks Cylones.... and probably sails (since it's a nuke ship).... laser beams and interstellar travel!
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

So it's a Ragtag fugitive fleet on a lonely quest for a place to live on Earth while avoiding Skyshine.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

"How much for 45 minutes with the wee one?"
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

I think you guys finally nailed it!

Thanks

hahahaha

Well done, Mal!
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Trailer for The Last Ship:

Appears it has been bumped back to Summer 2014. Looks like it will be pretty good though!

Thanks

Still got Jayne in it?

Jayne is a girl's name... lol

I finished Firefly. Gonna pick up the movie I think and then give it to my daughter who graciously lent me the series
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Jayne: Well I ain't a girl! I'll show you for good and all I got man parts!
    Simon: I'm trying to think how you could be more crass... No, nothing's coming to mind.

And yes, Adam Baldwin is still in it.

Thanks

LMAO

Yep. I couldn't remember the whole line. Oh well.

Edit: My wife said that he reminded her of me. I think that was a compliment.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information