Thread: Susan Rice

Thanks

Default Susan Rice

Just withdrew her name as potential Secretary of State....

How interesting is that?
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Susan Rice

Rice pulls out of Secretary of State race

David Jackson, USA TODAYShareComments

Susan Rice has withdrawn as nominee for Secretary of State -- does this open the door for John Kerry?

4:12PM EST December 13. 2012 - Susan Rice withdrew from consideration for the Secretary of State position on Thursday, citing Republican criticism of her record that had signaled a tough confirmation battle.
    In a letter to President Obama, Rice said she could have done the job "ably and effectively," but added that "I am now convinced that the confirmation process would be lengthy, disruptive and costly -- to you and to our most pressing national and international priorities."
    Rice will remain as the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.
    In a statement, Obama praised Rice, while criticizing the "unfair and misleading attacks" on her by Senate Republicans and others over the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
    "Her decision demonstrates the strength of her character, and an admirable commitment to rise above the politics of the moment to put our national interests first," Obama said.
    Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and other Republicans had criticized Rice over a string of Sept. 16 television interviews in which she attributed the Benghazi attack to the protest over an an anti-Islam video. Officials later said organized terrorists carried out the attack that killed U.S. ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.
    Obama's statement:
    "Today, I spoke to Ambassador Susan Rice, and accepted her decision to remove her name from consideration for Secretary of State. For two decades, Susan has proven to be an extraordinarily capable, patriotic, and passionate public servant.
    "As my Ambassador to the United Nations, she plays an indispensable role in advancing America's interests. Already, she has secured international support for sanctions against Iran and North Korea, worked to protect the people of Libya, helped achieve an independent South Sudan, stood up for Israel's security and legitimacy, and served as an advocate for UN reform and the human rights of all people.
    "I am grateful that Susan will continue to serve as our Ambassador at the United Nations and a key member of my cabinet and national security team, carrying her work forward on all of these and other issues. I have every confidence that Susan has limitless capability to serve our country now and in the years to come, and know that I will continue to rely on her as an advisor and friend.
    "While I deeply regret the unfair and misleading attacks on Susan Rice in recent weeks, her decision demonstrates the strength of her character, and an admirable commitment to rise above the politics of the moment to put our national interests first. The American people can be proud to have a public servant of her caliber and character representing our country."

More Stories:

The 12 biggest companies paying workers the least
    Business | 2 weeks ago

Unnamed Broncos agree with Jets: Tim Tebow not an NFL quarterback
    Game On | 1 week ago

Mortgage deduction is popular, but few claim it
    Politics | 1 week ago

MIT Makes Breakthrough in Wireless Electricity
    Digital Camera Info |

Romney Remains a Mystery After Revealing Little…
    Bloomberg.com | 11-06-2012

13 Things the Funeral Director Won’t Tell You
    Reader's Digest | 03-28-2011

Where Does The Car Dealer Make Money
    Edmunds | 12-31-1969

What Social Security Changes Are Coming in 2013?
    AARP.org | 10-23-2012

Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread Information