Thread: Topps Eliminates Pete Rose From Record Books

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Topps Eliminates Pete Rose From Record Books

And yet guys like Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire face no consequences to their records.

Topps Eliminates Pete Rose From Record Books

February 13, 2013

Pete Rose is no longer the all-time hits leader. Well, at least according to Topps. It seems the baseball card company was not only printing the biggest baseball card in the world, they are actually changing history as well.

ChicagoSideSports.com’s Rob Harris has a keen eye to go along with his avid love of baseball cards. He was looking at the back of the new cards for 2013 and saw a new feature that is labeled “Career Chase.”

It’s meant to show just how far off each player is from the career totals of record holders.

On the back of each card, between each player’s personal information and his complete statistics, there’s a little line labeled “Career Chase.” It doesn’t matter the player’s length of play or status, there is a sentence indicating how close that player is to reaching one of the game’s big records.

Topps has taken it upon itself to omit Rose’s name from the hits record, even though his banishment from baseball happened well after his playing days. And even though Rose isn’t eligible to be elected to the Hall of Fame, the museum still recognizes him as the record holder.

Here's what Harris writes at Chicago Side Sports:
    For Paul Konerko, the Career Chase line indicates that his 422 career home runs are 340 shy of Barry Bonds’ career record of 762. Konerko — who is nearing 37 years of age — has an outside chance at 500 career home runs, but he certainly won’t approach Barry Bonds’ record. The Career Chase line isn’t meant to suggest he’s closing in, but it helps put his accomplishments in perspective.

Another example, courtesy of Topps: John Danks has 57 career wins, which puts him 454 behind career leader Cy Young.

OK, I get it.

But then I flip the card Starlin Castro, whose solid start as the shortstop for the Cubs has him sitting at 529 hits, which is—as Career Chase points out—a mere 3,727 away from the all-time record of 4,256 held by…. Wait a second. Topps doesn’t say who holds the record. Every other record has a name attached, but not where the hits record is concerned.

I haven’t collected cards in years because the market became so watered down and obscene. This makes me hate it even more because of the pettiness.

As it has been pointed out to us, Rose’s name and/or likeness is not allowed on any MLB products due to his ban, hence the exclusion on the cards.

Thanks

Default Re: Topps Eliminates Pete Rose From Record Books

Now why did they do that? He had a gambling problem? But was let BACK into baseball as a coach... I was there when he went back... ???? WTF?
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Because since Selig banned him from baseball, his name and likeness are not allowed to be used in/on anything that is officially MLB related. Utter crap in my opinion...

Thanks

I am biased being a huge Cincy fan but Pete got a raw deal. I still have a Topps sticker book from back then when I was a kid with Petes swing getting the record. Bonds and the rest of his ilk shouldn't be alowed to step on grass much less get a vote in the hall of fame.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AGEUSAF View Post
    I am biased being a huge Cincy fan but Pete got a raw deal.
    He really did and this coming from someone who isn't a huge baseball fan.

I would be on board with his ban if he had bet against the Reds and his play reflected that but seeing as he bet on the Reds, it should have been a non-issue. A slap on the wrist and/or some sanctions of some sort, fine. But a ban for life is too much.

Oh well... No matter what Selig, MLB, or Topps does or says Rose will always be a part of baseball history.

Thanks

Next to th Tigers, the Reds were my favorite team... I went to like 6 games there when I was visiting with WHCA. I was at the field when Rose came back as coach. Pretty sure it was him. lol (It was a long time ago)
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread Information