View Poll Results: Choose your favorite three names from the list given. No more, no less.

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dreamweaver

1 12.50%
  • Estrellitia

2 25.00%
  • Horizons

4 50.00%
  • Marielee

1 12.50%
  • Maryjean

2 25.00%
  • Seastar

2 25.00%
  • Serenity

3 37.50%
  • Winds of Time

5 62.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rick's Boatname Poll Thread

Thanks

Default Rick's Boatname Poll Thread

Dreamweaver
    Estrellita
    Horizons
    Marielee
    MaryJean
    Seastar
    Serenity
    Winds of Time

Those are the finals in the selection of a name for our boat. We will be departing Colorado soon. The house is nearly done and we'll put it on the market about May time frame and price it to sell. We're going to shoot for the best price, but... we will price it so it will move.

Once we depart the area we will go to the East Coast and shop boats. We have a solid idea of what we want now. The boat will be deserving of a good, solid name too.

The list in the poll will contain all the names. You have to pick three of them, and when it is all said and done, between TAA here and family members voting we will narrow the three top finalists and my wife and I will have another go at chosing the final name.

The name must stand out, be relatively unique (I know none of these are completely unique names, but they come closer than some of the others we threw out).

So, please, all posters please vote on this for me.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Rick's Boatname Poll Thread

There are 30 days on the poll. We will have the three top names by then and then there will be a second poll to chose the final name.

In all likihood the second "runner up" will end up on the dinghy.

One last caveat:

IF the boat we find already has an "Awesome name" we won't change it, but so far, we haven't found any boats with "awesome names"
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

So far there is no love for the Mary namesakes. I could easily pick two and did so, then found none of the others I liked. I chose the most liked of the ones I was meh about.

btw, name the dingy MaryJean for funs sake.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

My vote:

1. Serenity
    2. Horizons
    3. Winds Of Time

Of all the choices, Serenity is by far my favorite. Horizons and Winds of Time I'm so-so on.

Thanks

hehe

Mary and Jean are our mom's names.

Marie and Lee are the middle names of the daughters. It's funny, we came up with those and neither of us have voted for them.

if I remembe my spread sheet correctly and add this in (not counting my own vote on here) - Serenity, Seastar and Winds of Time are in the lead.

And for the record, Winds of Time was the first name we came up with a long time ago. When I get all the votes in from the family I'll post the sheet here.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

So, in the lead here:

Serenity
    Horizons
    Winds of Time

One vote each for:

Seastar
    Estrellita
    Dreamweaver
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

viento de tiempo or maybe cool breeze. (brisa fria). I think you got it right the first time.

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

Thanks

Si, Sami, viento de tiempo... lol

La esposa y yo somos parcial a ese, pero es demasiado largo. Demasiadas palabras, letras demasiados y demasiado difĂ*cil de decir fonĂ©ticamente por la radio.
    gracias
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I prefer "Estrellitia" first, as it seems to be the most unique, imo. Then followed by the 2 combo-names, as they are meaningful to you.

-Bryk

Thanks

thanks Bryk!
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Âżbrisa maybe? Spanish is a f.ed up lingo. Hope you dint bother to learn 256 way to conjugate verbs.

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

Thanks

I can't conjugate three of them most of the time, I cheated on that. Google, and it sucks. LOL!

Google is SUPPOSED to be Castillo, but I think it was put together by someone who has less Spanish than me.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

A boat should have a female name. I don't know why, just seems fitting, which is why I voted for Maryjean.
    "Still waitin on the Judgement Day"

Thanks

Thanks Luke!
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

A few days left guys. Anyone that hasn't voted, read the first message and vote. Thanks!
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I voted for winds of time, although I prefer BRISA for practicality. or que, Marisol?

canto XXV Dante

Shema Israel

Thanks

Thanks Sami
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

The poll is closing on 7 May.

If there are any others that want to vote, please do so.

We have two CLEAR leaders between the votes here and family members.

There are several tied for third.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Ok... EVEN thought the poll hasn't closed, we decided no one else is voting. There was a CLEAR winner of this contest and a CLEAR runner up. The following was posted on my blog moments ago, along with Facebook.

Thank you all very much for your participation and help.

And the Winner is….

by RickD

You will all note that the name of this blog is called “Winds of Time”.

The first boat we owned was “Winds of Change” and the dinghy was “Small Change”. The names Winds of Change and Time come from a Jimmy Buffett song, “Growing Older but not Up” which positively describes me to a T and JoAnne perhaps to a lesser extent. We chose the name of our first boat from that song, Winds of Time.

Now, I know that boat name in some persons’ opinions should radiate femininity, or at least a female sounding name. I also know (and to a small degree believe) the name should be short, easy to pronounce and to be able to phonetically SAY over the radio. The name should be as UNIQUE as possible. There are those who think three names or two names on a vessel is too many, and you didn’t use enough brainpower to come up with it. I disagree. But, I’ll talk about that again shortly.

We had kind of decided for ourselves many moons back that since our first boat was “Winds of Change” the second would be “Winds of TIme” and we keep that idea in our heads, thus this blog’s name. However, awhile back we were discussing lists of names and the type of boat we’re getting, where we’re planning to go and our previous travels.

So we came up with a long list of names, probably close to one hundred names, things like names of ancient gods and goddesses, animals, stars, planets and constellations. One in particular was the name of a space station which has figured prominently in a series of books that I am working on, Estrellita – Little Star in Spanish.

About 3-4 weeks ago we decided to have a vote. Family, some friends and some internet friends we have known for some years. I opened a poll on a web site I help to run and let the folks there vote, and on a Facebook family page we held a separate vote.

I keep a running tally on the voting on a spread sheet and at the end of the final eight names we’d chosen for the poll, we were to come up with the top three names; run a secondary vote to decide the top name.
    Things didn’t work out that way.

We came up with two very clear leaders out of all the names we’d chosen originally, pared down the last eight names.
    There are a hand full of “Third Place” holders and therefore, today JoAnne and I have decided that the CLEAR winner will be the name of the boat when we finally pick her out and purchase her. The first runner up will become the name of our Dinghy.

Let me explain why. Many of our friends and people we’ve read state categorically that naming your dinghy after the mother-ship is a clear indication for opportunistic thieves to visit your floating home while you’re away. In other words naming a boat “Susie” and then dinghy “Susie II” or any other combination that might indicate your absence from home is an invitation. So, being that the two names are significantly removed from one another, that gave us this idea.

The final Eight Names Chosen from the original 100 were:

Dreamweaver
    Estrellita
    Horizons
    Marielee
    MaryJean
    Seastar
    Serenity
    Winds of Time

The final tally placed “Seastar” dead last.

Next from the bottom was “Marielee” and “Maryjean”. Both names derived from our daughters’ names and our mom’s names respectively. (Sorry Ladies; but as they say it IS the thought that counts.)

The names that got the next number of votes each were, “Dreamweaver”, “Estrellita” and “Horizons”, each a good name for a vessel.

As I was stating earlier the name of a vessel is important to the owners, one hopes. The boat name SHOULD say something about the owners, the vessel and her travels; or at least intended travels. JoAnne and I have no intention of sitting in a slip or hanging out on some dock all the time. We intend to travel, far and wide thus the boat must suit us to take us around the coasts as well as cross the seas. A boat name should reflect our lives, our love of life and our character as well as perhaps our hobbies. We are both science fiction readers, and travelers. We’ve traversed the US several times, as well as traveled in Europe and Asia. We’re not really “stay at home types” though we did it for our children.

So, without making you wait any longer…. the top two names were (Drum Roll please) were:

In Second Place: “Serenity”

In First Place: “Winds of Time”

Funny how that worked out. This was the name we originally chose for our cruising boat; and yet gave almost one hundred other names the chance and still, the name with three words came in first.

With ONE small caveat the new boat when purchased will be re-christened to “Winds of Time” and the dinghy will be named “Serenity”.

Here’s the caveat; if we locate a boat, probably older, bigger and already a “successful” cruiser that has “made a name for herself” – and is possibly a well-know boat, we might not change from that name and the “Winds of Time” will likely go back into the name bucket for next time.

However, if we pick up a boat with no name, or a name that is dumb, stupid or even unpronounceable (like many are to me) then we’ll do a renaming ceremony.

As to the Dinghy. When we buy the boat, if there is one, we’ll use that boat, but the first opportunity I get, I’m BUILDING our dinghy. I already have the plans for it, know what it will be like and how long she will be. She will be a wooden two piece nestable dinghy that can sail and row. Thus she WILL get the name “Serenity” (not the “comes with the mother ship dinghy” dinghy).

Thanks to all our kids and their spouses and our friends who chose to vote on the names. A special thanks goes to my good friend Ryan Ruck in Ohio for coming up with the name “Serenity” and congrats Ryan that your choice came in second! ( I know he’s a rabid Firefly Fan so good on him!) haha

Thanks to my dear Lady JoAnne for putting up with my incessant bothering over this for the past few weeks too.
    Libertatem Prius!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Thread Information