Thread: For your consideration - a personal request

Thanks

Default For your consideration - a personal request

www.GoLittleAdam.com

At the end of English class, his teacher handed him plain manilla envelope with the invitation of a lifetime - to go on an educational tour of Europe with a select group of classmates. With your help, this dream can become a reality.
    I am a Big Brother with Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS). My Little Brother is also named Adam. He is known to many as “Little A”. One day at the end of April, he climbed into my car after school with that envelope and tossed it on the floorboard. He had already convinced himself that he would never be able to go on this trip. After a bit of coaxing I got him to tell me about the trip, what an honor it was to get selected and how only a few kids in the whole school get to go. It required 2-4 teachers just to nominate a student. I could hear it in his voice and see it in his eyes that he was longing for this experience. But how?

Allow me to tell you about my Little Brother, Little A. He is usually a straight “A” student, he plays one or two sports at school each year, he juggles, he does magic, and he volunteers within the community. In the last four years, he has helped with 3 different soup kitchens on a regular basis. He has helped gather donated material and outfitted apartments for women moving out of the local shelter. He has helped with church projects, school projects, BBBS events, and he has logged an average of 200 hours a year at the local Habitat ReStore (where I work) www.WinchesterReStore.com He has his own desk and laptop in my office where he can do homework after school before we hang out. Together, we have gone to Virginia Beach to swim (he had never been to the ocean) and Gettysburg to explore the Civil War. We have hiked parts of the Appalachian Trail, gone to countless concerts and theatrical productions, sporting events, experienced Washington DC on the 4th of July, gone to weddings, funerals, and more. I have not missed any of his school events if I could help it.
    Ever since I met Little A, he has wanted to be a chef. He knew how cook and could cook full meals when he was 9 and now that he is 14, there is not much that he has cannot prepare. Last year, when he was only in 7th grade, he told me that he wanted to go to a college in Europe, probably Italy, and get a BA in culinary arts and then return to attend Shenandoah University for a Masters in Business. After that, he wants to start three restaurants, one of which will cater to the homeless. Mind you, all of this from a middle school student. He is currently looking at the student exchange program for his junior year of high school where he will spend the school year in Europe.
    Now, the opportunity has arisen for the two of us to go to Europe together with his school in June of 2014. http://www.eftours.com/1411510rd The cost is staggering... $3,678 for Little A and $4,013 for me, but the opportunity is too perfect to pass up on. Here is the chance for my Little Brother to see what he has been dreaming about and to get a taste of what his future could hold. I want this for him, and I want to be there with him.
    The first financial goal is always the hardest - We need to raise $1,500 by the end of June. We are almost 1/2 way there. Thank you to the early supporters!
    I asked Little A to write a letter to potential sponsors explaining why he wanted to go on this trip.
    The following was written by Little Adam:
    "My summer usually consists of playing video games and the occasional camp. Instead of that, why not travel to multiple countries with your friends! I want to attend this educational tour for a multitude of reasons. Three of those reasons are because I would like to experience other cultures, advance my culinary art skills, and so I can spend time with friends.
    First off, if I go on this trip I would hope to experience new cultures. On this trip we will not just be going to one certain place. We will be going to multiple countries. In this case, I will be able to learn about more than just one culture.
    Also, I would like to advance my culinary arts skills. I plan to do this by trying new foods and watching different techniques of cooking in different countries. There also maybe demonstrations of French and Italian dishes. This is only the start of my interest with food since I hope to attend college in a foreign country studying this art.
    Finally, on this trip I will get to spend time with my friends. This will be a great time to do this because we will be learning and experiencing new things together as a group. I will also be with my Big Brother from the program “Big Brothers Big Sisters.” This will give me and my brother a bonding moment in time.
    In conclusion, I hope to attend this trip because I wold like to experience new cultures, advance my culinary arts skills, and so I can spend time with my friends. While on this trip I will also be away from electronics and unneeded distractions. This is a learning experience but still letting us have a great time which is why I hope I can attend this educational tour."
    Thank you for your time and consideration.
    If you cannot donate, will you please consider forwarding this message? Share it on Facebook or send it via email?
    With Faith,
    Adam & Adam
    As for some manner of proof of who we are, I found this photo on the BBBS Facebook page http://tinyurl.com/cow2glk That's Little A on the left and my original Little Brother on the right. Probably the best photo I can find of Little A is this one – http://tinyurl.com/blzmls6
    Last edited by Aramus; July 2nd, 2013 at 23:53.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: For your consideration - a personal request

Wow Aramus, that's a pretty awesome story!

I consider myself pretty fortunate in life in general so I like to try to pass that on when possible and yours is definitely a worthwhile cause so I went ahead and kicked in $50. I guess I can pass on a beer run or two.

I've got a coworker who's son is in the culinary arts. We've all seen cutbacks in OT at work which has pretty heavily hit our pay but, I'll pass the word along to him and see if he can kick in anything given the mutual interest.

Good luck in your goal and if I win the upcoming Powerball or Mega Millions, the trip's on me.

Thanks

Thanks man! Greatly appreciated. I have never tried to pull off a fund raiser like this one before. In way over my head, but its for a good cause The little guy has rocked my world and I think this will rock his world.

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

Aramus, Glad to see you are experiencing what I see as the true meaning of life. The sharing of lives with each other by choice. I matched Ryan and hope it goes well! As the funding time approaches, please update. Have to get you guys out there.

Thanks

Phil... Thank you. I need that email this morning. Your message set the mood for the day. Much appreciated.
    If you or Ryan or any of the others here want to check out what life with Little A looks like, friend me on Facebook.
    www.facebook.com/aglogau

I am also open to advice on how to change, update, rewrite that letter.

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

I am glad you were moved by my personal message. I received an email that your tilt has funded

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Same here! Congrats!

Thread Information