Thread: At least 6 killed, up to 100 injured by Texas tornadoes

Thanks

Default At least 6 killed, up to 100 injured by Texas tornadoes

At least 6 killed, up to 100 injured by Texas tornadoes

Gary Strauss and Doug Stanglin, USA TODAY11:01 p.m. EDT May 15, 2013

Bulldozers were rushed to one hard-hit neighborhood near Granbury to clear the way for rescue teams trying to reach people trapped in debris.

Several tornadoes ripped through an area of North Central Texas Wednesday night, leaving at least six people dead, scores injured and driving hundreds from homes flattened by the turbulent winds.

Hardest hit was the Rancho Brazos subdivision of 110 homes near Granbury, southwest of the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Hood County Sheriff Roger Deeds said a twister suddenly dropped out of the a boiling thunderstorm and leveled a wide swath of mobile homes and single-family homes.

"Most of the neighborhood is heavily damaged to destroyed," he said. "Very little is untouched."

He said 28 people were treated at local hospital and 16 people, including two in critical condition, were transported to hospitals in Fort Worth. The injuries range from lost limbs to minor bumps and bruises, according to local officials.

Emergency teams rushed 18 bulldozers into the subdivision to clear the way for rescue teams and to look for people trapped in the debris.
    Much of the construction in Ranco Brazos in the past five years was done by Habitant for Humanity, the Fort Worth Star-Telegramreported.
    The sheriff said more than 250 people were evacuated, many by bus. Fourteen people remained unaccounted for, Deeds said.
    "The house across from mine looked like it was destroyed," said Rancho Brazos resident Allacia Jenny, 22. "I saw power lines all over the place."

Officers "are going house to house" looking for residents trapped, injured or dead in the rubble of demolished homes near Lake Granbury, said Hood County Sheriff's Lt. Kathy Jiveden.
    The tornado was among several spotted in Texas on Wednesday night and part of a broader storm system that dumped rain and hail up to the size of grapefruit on parts of the state. The National Weather Service to issue storm warnings for 32 counties in Texas and four others in Oklahoma. The tornado watch was in effect until 1 a.m. Thursday.

"This is serious," weather service meteorologists warned via social media. "Take shelter now!"
    Granbury, a town of about 8,000 that's 40 miles southwest of Fort Worth, received only minor storm damage, Deeds said. City officials were sending first-responders to check neighborhoods and school buses to help evacuate the area.City officials were sending school buses to several neighborhoods to help with evacuations.The Red Cross set up shelters for tornado victims at two local churches.

At least six people were killed Wednesday as a spring tornado outbreak devastated parts of North Texas, destroying or damaging dozens of homes and injuring dozens of people. (May 16)

A second tornado it the small town of Millsap west of Forth Worth. Parker County Judge Mark Kelley said roof damage was reported to several houses and a barn was destroyed, but no injuries were reported. Another tornado was spotted at about 8 p.m. near Decatur in Wise County. A fourth twister was spotted 10 miles west of Weatherford.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: At least 6 killed, up to 100 injured by Texas tornadoes

Softball sized hail will ruin your day...your house, you car, your everything outside.

I grew up in Ohio and everytime that gd weather radio went off, we went into alert mode. Then it was a few hours of sitting around waiting.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Default Re: At least 6 killed, up to 100 injured by Texas tornadoes

We had softball sized hail here last year. The stuff that came down on my house was about the size of baseballs though, and smaller. Still destroyed the roof. Dented the Jeep, the truck and somehow didn't hurt my wife's jeep at all haha (was under a tree). The tree was messed up though.

I've seen a LOT of tornadoes in my time now and I've seen the damage they do. Not pretty at all.

The Sheriff said they expected more casualties though. I hope not.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread Information