Thread: Purge. What would you do with 12 hours?

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Purge. What would you do with 12 hours?

So, I saw the commercial and thought briefly what I might choose to do, if for 12 hours a year, any crime you cared to do was without any reprisal.

I will not say what I would do as my first thought, as we are not in such a purse type scenario, but leave it to each to consider this alternate approach to life in the US.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Purge. What would you do with 12 hours?

And that's all I have to say about that.

Thanks

The only thing I would do differently during such a period is to harden my environs, get some murder holes set up at windows, buy food, drink and whatnot and settle in.

When the hour arrives, I'd lock down and shoot any looter.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

I think I will go with what Mal said.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

I wonder what percentage of folks only avoid committing crimes due to the potential reprisal ... I think I'm in a very, very small camp that likely wouldn't care to participate.

Thanks

I don't think so Bryk. I think most people don't commit crimes simply because it's wrong.

If you put yourself in the place of the victim and think about what the victim of crime goes through, you would think "I wouldn't want that to happen to ME!" and very likely not do it.

This is why these people who go around robbing are soulless assholes. They don't even THINK about it, or worse, they take pleasure in committing the crime and knowing they have caused someone else pain.

Then again... if the world goes to hell, I have a couple scores to settle. lol
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

There really are no crimes that I'd like to commit...well, maybe target shooting in my backyard(discharge laws), maybe seeing if I can hit 142mph in my WRX(The computer won't let it go faster than 142)...but none of it involves hurting other people or their property.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

hmm...now that i think about it...maybe I could do somethings that are against zoning. I'm on a corner lot, I can't build closer than 40 feet to either road or no closer than the current profile. I'd love to put up a garage about 15 feet off the road.

Oooh boy, I'm such a "purge night" rebel. lol.

How about environmental crimes? I've got a ton of shit I'd like to get rid of...maybe I fill up the truck and dump it on the highway.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

You collect shit?

/chuckles
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Well, whatever you guys do, don't hire this place to do your dirty work. lol

Hire DDoS attack service 'legal' and connected to FBI

Summary: A service which boots websites offline for payment is legitimate, says the owner. But why a backdoor monitored by the FBI?

By Charlie Osborne for Zero Day |
    Follow @ZDNetCharlie
    A website that can be described as "DDoS for hire" is perfectly legitimate, according to the owner. Considering the FBI is secretly monitoring the site's customers through a backdoor, is that the end of the story?

Ragebooter.net is one of many sites that accepts payment — through PayPal — in order to flood sites with junk traffic, overloading servers and denying others access. The service uses a technique called DNS reflection to flood a website and amplify the amount of traffic directed at an address; the attacker is required to spoof the IP address of lookup requests and then bounce them off open domain name system servers. This has the potential to amplify a traffic torrent by up to 50 times.

However, what makes Ragebooter different is the hidden backdoor allegedly used by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, which allows the agency to secretly monitor what customers are up to.

In a recent profile of the DDoS hiring service by KrebsonSecurity reporter Brian Krebs, the owner of the site is revealed as Tennessee-based Justin Poland. After hunting down the owner through social media and securing an interview, Krebs found the proprietor unapologetic and defensive about the legality of the service. Poland told the reporter:
    "Since it is a public service on a public connection to other public servers this is not illegal. Nor is spoofing the sender address. If the root user of the server does not want that used they can simply disable recursive DNS. My service is a legal testing service. How individuals use it is at their own risk and responsibilities.

I do not advertise this service anywhere nor do I entice or encourage illegal usage of the product. How the user uses it is at their own risk. I provide logs to any legal law enforcement and keep logs for up to 7 days."
    Poland then revealed that he works with the FBI, which allows the business to stay online in return for full access and the ability to monitor customer activity. The agency also added an IP logger to the backdoor system so it could log user IPs as they access the service.

Krebs recounts that Ragebooter's owner did not stipulate off-the-record conversation, and threatened to sue if the agency's involvement with the service was shared. After contacting the FBI's press office, they could neither confirm or deny Poland's claims. Spokesman for the Memphis FBI field office commented:
    "People come forward all the time and make claims they are working with us, and sometimes it's true and sometimes it’s not. But it wouldn't be prudent for us to confirm that we have individuals helping us or assisting us, either because they're being good citizens or because they're somehow compelled to."
    What gives the story another twist, however, is that researchers found that junk traffic floods include the ragebooter.net username. In addition, the site itself was hacked this year and the credentials of users were leaked online.

Ragebooter.net appears to account for more than 400 attacks per day.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I like what each has written. It truly is a thought provoking concept. I have a little reservation saying what my thoughts are here as I am who I am here, but have not discussed very much about those who have wronged my family or myself in ways that are abysmal in details. The few with evil hearts and hateful spirits will meet their own fate I am assured, but I am glad we do not have such a twelve hour period as in a thoughtful way it would be tempting to become fate itself. I am just glad my temperance is one of let others do their own self inflicted damage. People who are evil in heart often bring their own fate to themselves anyway.

Thanks

That's good and fair commentary, Phil. And, as you said: quite thought provoking. Swift payback to those who have wronged others -- especially wronging those close to you might be the only thing I could see as just in that scenario.

Reminds me a bit of Eastwood's movie, Unforgiven.

In Zelazny's Amber novels, the land of Amber (the realm of "true order") had a law that allowed a single-tier vendetta ... and the legal aspect of that played a role in one of the later books. Made for an interesting rail to hang the plot on.

-Matt

Thanks

I changed my mind.

I know what I would do. I'd organize a small army to shut down a government that would do that shit to the people.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Matt, Thanks for the book recommend. I may see if I can get an audio format. My only real time for peaceful contemplation of books right now is 45 minutes each way from work.

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

I have to respond to this concept consistent with the manner in which I respond to all events, scenarios, trials, tragedies and occasions… within the confines of my world view. A biblical world view. For those of you who do not wish to interact with my world at this time, reading further into my post is not necessary.

I found myself instantly separating from the fact that the concept was developed for entertainment purposes and applied real life analysis – all relative to my sphere of influence. The idea of a “purge” within the United States whereby all emergency services are suspended for a 12 hour period and where all forms of reprisal for crimes committed equally suspended is a recipe for widespread evil. Clearly.

The most obvious forms of evil take the shape of murder, torture, rape, beatings… and the list is long. However, sinful behavior, defined as rebellion against God, is evil wearing very personal garments and extremely volatile and insidious. If anyone desires a list, just imagine all acts of disobedience, slander, violence, revenge, immorality, egotism, etc. The list is far longer still, and dendritic, tortuous, dark and imposturous. A reliable system of morality is fundamental to the evaluation of evil and the acts perpetrated under the guise of evil. Self formed morality, not founded on a moral law, but established and employed by an individual source, is hardly efficacious. Where logic rules, relativism has no place. And a self conceived moral code can be nothing but relativistic.

That said, my point is one of higher reference. Individual morality aside and whether a person believes in Him or not… God is watching. His existence is not dependent on an individual's beliefs in Him any more than the complexity of the universe is dependent on a person's understanding of it. A man may believe that he is getting away with something and evading all scrutiny when in fact he is not.

All this to say, I would not do anything during a purge that I would not do at any other time. There’s too much at stake. Malsua's strategy does apply and would serve as a model for home defense at my house.

Stepping off the soapbox now. (topic kinda lends itself to some moralistic argument, does it not?)

Thanks

Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Libertatem Prius!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Just in case anyone was thinking of spending any money on this movie...

Critics: 'The Purge' An Attack On Tea Party, NRA

June 7, 2013

In the new Ethan Hawke thriller “The Purge," the year is 2022, and the United States is run by a bunch of multinational corporations called the “New Founding Fathers of America.” The nation is ravaged by crime and overcrowded prisons, so in a quest to curb overpopulation and get rid of unsavories, the government has sanctioned an annual 12-hour period where anything goes in the streets.

Known as “The Purge,” all criminal activity – including murder, brutal violence and in this movie, a sinister home invasion – is legal, all emergency services and calls are suspended, and the only rules are that harming high-ranking government officials and using “Class 4” weaponry (bombs and grenades) are strictly prohibited.

But while the plot may seem on its surface like any of hundreds of other futuristic hellscape directorial visions from "Clockwork Orange" to "Oblivion," "The Purge" has been dubbed by some a thinly veiled attack on the Tea Party and National Rifle Association, and has some critics rolling their eyes.

“Director James DeMonaco makes it clear the movie is a direct attack on the NRA, an organization filled with millions of law-abiding gun owners. The loony left’s reflexive hatred of the 2nd Amendment is founded in the concept that people who don’t break the law are somehow evil for exercising the Constitutional rights,” Dan Gainor, VP of Business and Culture at the Media Research Institute told FOX411’s Pop Tarts column. “’The Purge’ is also an obvious attack on the Tea Party and Christians.”

In an interview with Bloody Disgusting, DeMonaco said the leadership of his 2022 United States was indeed based on the NRA, although he tried to use a light touch.

"I layered in these New Founding Fathers, this regime that we voted into power at some point, some kind of NRA-thing that took over the country," he said. "But I kind of left that to the audience. I think sometimes in my writing I try to spoon feed too much, it’s better to let the audience make their own decisions on things."

He also said the film's ultraviolent "purge" was based on what he saw happening in the country now.

"When I was on my last movie, I was living in France for six months. I started noticing that the news was so very different than watching the news in America, it was just strange. And I lived in Canada right before that and it was completely different as well. Their news was just about us, because they had nothing to report," he told the website. "So when we watch the news here, I joke to my wife ‘It’s like The Purge every night.’ I don’t know what the f**k is going on out there, but it’s like the godd**n Purge!

We caught up with the movie's star at an interview junket promoting "The Purge," and Hawke said the plot is indeed social commentary.

“It’s not such a far-fetched idea that rich people are totally cut off from the adversity and murder. We sit there on a treadmill and watch and flip and see what’s happening all over the world and other countries, and a lot of that damage is created by our affluence and what is our level of participation in that,” he told us. “And how do we feel about that, and what are we going to do about it? And the rest of us just change the channel.”

Hawke said the movie addressed the current political and social climate.

“It’s the fun of science fiction in a way that it forces you to think about political ideas without ‘who are you going to vote for?’" he said. "You get to think without anyone having an agenda for gun control or not.”

Documentary filmmaker and media critic John Ziegler said regardless of its message, "The Purge" just isn't very good.

"Worse than being an apparent attack on limited government and the Tea Party movement, the plot just seems really stupid, even for Hollywood,” Ziegler said. "If they are going to be so biased they should at least be good."

"The Purge" has drawn mixed reviews, with movie review aggregation site Rotten Tomatoes giving it a middling 53 percent.

The L.A. Times called it an “emptying experiences” of “cheap scares and violent showdowns,” Seattle Times noted that “no real answers” were provided by the filmmaker, and that it was simply a presentation of a “bizarre dystopian future,” while Time Out New York suggested that the film “morphs into a dull version of ‘Straw Dog.’”

However, plenty of other critics have “The Purge” the thumbs up.

Film.com applauded it as a “blunt takedown of 1%-er politics masquerading as a home invasion picture,” the Birmingham Mail called it a “very clever thriller and a thought-provoking social commentary rolled into one,” and the Village Voice observed that the “set-up is arresting, the domestic scenes well observed and acted," and that the “late-film twist isn't a surprise, exactly, but it is delicious.”

Gainor, however, said the movie is just Hollywood's latest attempt at demonizing America.

“Once again Hollywood tries to make money from Americans by bashing America. The entertainment industry loves trying to depict the U.S. as the bad guy. Movies used to show the good things about our nation, now Hollywood execs clearly avoid that whenever possible,” he said. “It’s almost funny that a schlock movie filled with violence is used to criticize Americans for being violent.”

Thanks

Well, besides that, I heard the movie stinks.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

I wasn't going to see it anyway.

I'm kind of partial to believing that you come in my house with bad intentions, I'll shoot your ass. With two trained shooters in the house, I have a suspicion the bad guys ain't walking out easily or on their own.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information