Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tablet Computers

Thanks

Default Tablet Computers

Anyone have any experience with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 10.1?

I'm considering buying what will probably be my last computer toy soon.

For the boat we will be taking a laptop, easily replaceable and powerful enough to run our email, radio programs and navigation programs. All tested and basically ready to plug and play when we get the boat. I might have to make cables and stuff to connect equipment. No problem.

However, that will be our boat computer. Not gonna take it ashore.

My Kindle fire's screen is small enough to be irritating to me when trying to see web pages (this one for instance).

My wife has an iPad which sometimes frustrates her as well (crashes on and off).

I want a computer I can throw into a back pack and carry, use where wifi exists and where it doesn't (so I can pull up apps to help me find things or whatever) and still be able to do email, web sites and a blog while away from the boat. Want to be able to Skype both audio and video to family and not mess with phones.

So far in my research (such as it has been with the time limits on me) I've found that the Galaxy Tab 2, 10.1 seems to be about number 1, 2 or 3 in the list of "best tablets". The iPad 4 is the first, and some other one shows up as second and third. The Galaxy shows up generally as 3rd on most of the lists.

The price is ok, under 500.

I've not had a chance to put my hands on one yet.

Runs on Android (Ice cream sandwich I think).

Rumor has it a newer version is coming out around June time frame, but there is no firm release date as of yet.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, let me know.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Tablet Computers

I've purchased a bunch of tablets for users at work and several for myself, my wife and my step father. I have bought and used the Google nexus 7, Kindle fire, Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Galaxy tab 10.2, Galaxy Tab 7, Nexus 7, Kindle paperwhite, Nook Color, kindle DX, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1., Ipad 1, Ipad 2, Ipad Mini, Blackberry Playbook.

In the 10 inch tablet field, If buying today for myself, I would get the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1(not the galaxy tab) or the Google Nexus 10. The cost is $449 for the Samsung, $499 for the Nexus.

In the 7 inch table, the Google Nexus 7(my personal tablet)

These tablets are top of the game, are fast and do everything. If you buy a discount tablet, you'll end up buying a different tablet again, later because it blows.

The Kindle Fires are ok...but when you use one next to a Samsung or Nexus, the behavior is noticable.

The Galaxy Tab 10.2 is a pretty good tablet, I personally believe the performance improvement to the Galaxy note 10.1 is worth it.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Mal,

I can look it up and will, but can you summarize the differences in the Galaxy Note and "10.2" (I haven't seen a 10.2, everything I've been seeing was called a Galaxy 10.1 or tab 2 10.1)
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

http://blog.clove.co.uk/2012/09/11/g...axy-note-10-1/

That gives you the spec differences.

In response and feel, the Note is better. The note will also be forward compatible for a while yet and the Tab is pretty much done.

The 10.2 is wrong. It's tab 2 10.1. I took to calling it the 10.2 versus the note 10.1
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

thanks reviewing it now!
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Thanks Mal!

I like that article. I looked and looked for a comparison chart for several things but wasn't finding it. I was about to build my own spread sheet (I hate having to do that).

One question... can you have more than one application running up at once and if so can you go back and forth between them on the Note?

A friend here at work has the Tab 2 and says he can go back and forth between apps (something I want to be able to do, news, to a web site like TAA for instance or having a calculator up while working on a set of calculations on another page for instance).
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

One other question.

It LOOKS like the Note doesn't have built in Bluetooth and the other one does. You have to get an adapter for the Note? (Does it plug in here the SD card goes??)
    Libertatem Prius!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Friend at work just got the Note 10.1 and loves it. He used to be a hardcore Apple Kool-Aid drinker but has gone full Samsung/Android now with the Note 10.1 and Galaxy S3.

Check Craigslist near you. He snagged his Note practically new with accessories for around $250-$275.

When my Dell XPS goes tits up, my next computer will probably be a Samsung Ativ. It's more than just a regular tablet. It's a full power computer running an i5 processor. The Ativ has great battery life and it is somewhat easier to upgrade the SSD in it from reviews. I had been considering a Microsoft Surface Pro but it is apparently a royal pain to upgrade the SSD in it.

Thanks

The Note has bluetooth.

Either allow for multiple applications. I have a Tab here in my hands, I bought a Note for my step dad.

For multiple websites, the chrome browser has multiple tabs.

You can have as many tabs in the browser open as you'd like.
    You can have angry birds running
    You can have Candy Crush Saga Running
    You can have a video running...
    plus anything else you want all at the same time.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Ok, that answers all the questions.

I'll have to go over and find one at the local stores before I either buy a new one or find a used one.

Thanks guys!

What I am reading (I found several more comparison charts by the way now) is that the Note is about $50 more new but in general has "more stuff".

In my case I'll use it for mainly email, skype (video conferencing with the kids), blogging, writing notes, and doing general stuff like reading PDF files.

One of the issues I have with my Kindle is reading PDF files. I have a Kindle DX (the grey screen e-ink device) and a Kindle Fire. BOTH can read PDFs, but that doesn't mean *I* can read the PDFs on the screen.

on the DX they "fit to screen" and I can't really make the files "bigger" without fiddle-farting around and moving the little button to see different parts of the page. On the Fire I can easily zoom in, but again there's just something about seeing a whole page of technical material with images, charts and math equations on one page in front of you and not having to scroll around to see it. Plus... my eyes ain't what they used to be.

With a full sized computer screen, I can see the files.

Hard to stick the lap top in the engine compartment with you when you're dripping sweat and grease on everything while dropping your socket wrench on the keyboard as well. Either the grease, wrench or sweat is gonna foul up that keyboard.

But I can set a flat screened tablet inside a small area and even stick it to the wall (duct tape, or some thing) across the way and still be able to see it while I'm fiddling with something. (I'm a "read the directions with my hands on the gear" kind of guy, lol)

I think that something like this will meet all my needs, including being able to hand write notes (something I still do often, I have a million notes on my desk right now, and sticky pages, and pads for notes....) I still tend to WRITE things down than type them in.

I'll let you all know how it works out.
    Libertatem Prius!

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

Or you can get one with cell service too.

HTC T6 and Samsung Note 3 are coming soon.

HTC T6 Phablet Aims at Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Also Coming with Stylus

It seems that the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 will have a powerful rival this year, as the rumor mill speculates that the Taiwan-based company is also readying a phablet, codenamed HTC T6.

After we’ve seen a lot of smartphone manufacturers launching devices with screens larger than 5 inches, and with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 reportedly coming with a 5.9-inch full HD display, HTC is on the verge of launching another device to compete against Sammy’s high-end devices. As I was mentioning above there are reports saying that HTC will launch its first phablet and the terminal is known internally as HTC T6.

Even though the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 was not officially launched yet, the imminent Android-powered phablet developed by HTC aims to bite a big chunk of the market share of the successor of Galaxy Note 2. First of all, HTC T6 will be developed to integrate support for stylus interaction, besides the common finger input.

Reports are indicating that, just like the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, the HTC phablet will boast a 5.9-inch full HD display (most likely a Super LCD3 unit), while being underpinned by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 MSM8974 chipset with four Krait 400 cores clocked at 2.3 GHz and Adreno 330 GPU. The list of technical specifications also includes 2 GB of RAM and, of course, the 4 megapixel UltraPixel camera sensor borrowed from the HTC One, all together with BoomSound speakers.

It seems though that the internal flash storage will be limited to 16 GB, but opposed to the HTC one the smartphone will come with a microSD card slot that will allow an expansion of 64 GB. The front-facing camera will have a 2.1 megapixel sensor, while the battery of the Galaxy Note 3 rival will be a 3,300 mAh unit.

Anyway, the most surprising rumor is about the Android version delivered with the HTC phablet. With an alleged release date set for early fall, HTC T6 will run Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie out of the box. Anyway, I am advising you to take the rumor with a pinch of salt, as, in my opinion, the Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie will not see the light of day sooner than October, when Google will celebrate Android’s 5th birthday.

There’s no doubt that the HTC phablet will pack the company’s proprietary Sense interface, therefore we should expect features like BinkFeed, Zoe, and Beats Audion enhancement. Sources say that HTC will also launch a wide range of accessories for its Galaxy Note 3 rival, which will include fingerprint scanner or a cover that integrates an extra battery.

Anyway, all we can do now is wait for a couple of more months and see whether the rumors talking about the HTC phablet rival for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 were accurate.

Would you choose a HTC phablet that comes with the features and aluminium body of the One over the Samsung Galaxy Note 3? Please speak your mind in the comments section.

HTC T6 Rumors Point to Serious Galaxy Note 3 Competitor

Adam Mills — 05/30/2013

The HTC T6 is thought to be HTC’s answer to the upcoming Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and judging by the leaked specifications, HTC’s T6 certainly looks like it could give the Galaxy Note 3 a run for its money.

Earlier this month, word of a new, upcoming HTC phablet leaked out, a device called the HTC T6. The name T6 is a codename for a device that is apparently coming later this year and from the looks of things, could be a serious competitor to the upcoming Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phablet which is slated to arrive later on this year.

Read: Samsung Galaxy Note 3: New Launch Dates Emerge.

The HTC T6 looks like a serious Galaxy Note competitor.

Until today, many of the details regarding the HTC T6 were unknown, however thanks to @evleaks and The Unlockr, we now have a bead on what to expect from HTC’s Galaxy Note 3 challenger, a device that from the looks of things figures to be a larger version of the HTC One.

It appears that the HTC T6 will borrow heavily from the HTC One, including design hints, BoomSound speakers which means front-facing speakers for optimal sound, a dedicated audio processor, and more.

Other rumored specifications, that appear thanks to a spec sheet, include a 5.9-inch 1080p display, 2.3GHz quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of on board storage space, an Ultrapixel camera, 3,300 mAh battery and Android Key Lime Pie which is expected to debut later this year, possibly as Android 5.0.

It’s expected to have a large screen with an HTC One-style design.

What’s more is that the HTC T6 is apparently going to come with a stylus though it’s unclear if there will be any unique software like HTC Scribe on board when the device arrives. The Samsung Galaxy Note series is known for its stylus and their on board software that make it useful for things beyond just writing and drawing on the screen.

It also appears that the device will have a fingerprint reader for added security and a powerjacket for those that need more battery. All in all, it’s looking like a massive smartphone, in more ways than one, and a serious competitor to the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and its phablet throne.

A release date is unknown but considering Key Lime Pie is rumored to be on board, it likely won’t arrive any time soon. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3, for its part, is expected to touch down in July at the earliest, September at the latest.

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Thanks

Don't need cellular access...

In fact, "Where we're going we won't need roads.... or cell service..."

LOL
    Libertatem Prius!

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    Don't need cellular access...

In fact, "Where we're going we won't need roads.... or cell service..."

LOL
    That's good.

Been looking at the same stuff recently.

Have a 7" dual core tablet from overseas.

Really wanted a quad-core but didn't want to pay the premium as this will be mainstream soon.

New tech is on the horizon, with 4K screens (3840 x 2160 pixels or 4096 x 2160 pixels), that even bend will be showing up soon on these devices if WW3 can hold off a while...

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Thanks

The flexible display in that Samsung is just like the display in Red Planet. Totally awesome.

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

hahaha

Good stuff.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Ok, well here it is, my first post with the new Galaxy Note 10.1....
    Hello? Is thisthing on? Ummm guys?....
    Lol
    Libertatem Prius!

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

It appears I am a little late here but let me add one more to the case of the Tablets.

HP designed and produced what is called a Touchpad. http://www.amazon.com/HP-TouchPad-9-...ds=hp+touchpad

The default OS is WebOS but that is now opensource. It is very easy to add in a Cygenamod Android OS as well.

I have one of these currently and LOVE IT. It was a gift from Mom. I love it so much I recently bought a version with a faster processor and 4g. Those are actually rare relatively speaking.

That 4g one I bought is here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HE34SA/

Anyway, imo, it beats iPad 1 or 2 and actually has plenty of accessories and a following. The screen is 9.7 inches and runs 1024x768. I have had no battery life issues either and I think my longest run of live from full to need a charge has been 5 hours or so.

That all said, I also like the Samsung tab. It just depends on who you wish to go with.
    Last edited by Phil Fiord; June 2nd, 2013 at 21:43.

Thanks

Choose, but choose WISELY.... lol

Android is set to topple iOS as most popular app platform

Google Play will knock Apple's App Store off of its perch
    By Carly Page
    Tue Jun 04 2013, 13:39

INTERNET SEARCH GIANT Google's Play store for Android apps will topple Apple's App Store as the most popular app platform within the next few months, according to an analyst.

Apple recently announced that its 50 billionth iOS app had been downloaded, a pretty impressive milestone. However, Google is slowly closing the gap, having announced just one day earlier that it had seen 48 billion Android apps downloaded. In fact, apps are being downloaded from the Google Play store at the rate of 2.5 billion per month, according to reports, against Apple's 2.0 billion downloaded from iTunes.

Given these statistics and the growing popularity of Android, which has 56.9 percent of the UK market compared to Apple's 28.7 percent, an analyst has noted that Google is on track to overtake Apple in the next few months.

Speaking to the Financial Times, Horace Dediu of Asymco said, "The [download] rate for [Google] Play is higher so I would imagine it will have a higher total in a few months if not sooner."

"The sheer weight of Android units will generate more downloads but on a per device basis the iOS devices do seem to consume more apps and the gap is not narrowing," he added.

Not only is Android set to be crowned the most popular mobile operating system for apps, Google is also starting to make more money from Android apps. Analytics firm Distimo said that Google Play's share of daily revenues has increased "significantly" in the past six months, from 19 percent in November to 27 percent in April.

Unless Apple pulls out something extra special at WWDC next week, it looks like the shiny gadget maker's iTunes apps download record could fall soon. µ
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Choose, but choose WISELY.... lol

Android is set to topple iOS as most popular app platform

Google Play will knock Apple's App Store off of its perch
    By Carly Page
    Tue Jun 04 2013, 13:39

INTERNET SEARCH GIANT Google's Play store for Android apps will topple Apple's App Store as the most popular app platform within the next few months, according to an analyst.

Apple recently announced that its 50 billionth iOS app had been downloaded, a pretty impressive milestone. However, Google is slowly closing the gap, having announced just one day earlier that it had seen 48 billion Android apps downloaded. In fact, apps are being downloaded from the Google Play store at the rate of 2.5 billion per month, according to reports, against Apple's 2.0 billion downloaded from iTunes.

Given these statistics and the growing popularity of Android, which has 56.9 percent of the UK market compared to Apple's 28.7 percent, an analyst has noted that Google is on track to overtake Apple in the next few months.

Speaking to the Financial Times, Horace Dediu of Asymco said, "The [download] rate for [Google] Play is higher so I would imagine it will have a higher total in a few months if not sooner."

"The sheer weight of Android units will generate more downloads but on a per device basis the iOS devices do seem to consume more apps and the gap is not narrowing," he added.

Not only is Android set to be crowned the most popular mobile operating system for apps, Google is also starting to make more money from Android apps. Analytics firm Distimo said that Google Play's share of daily revenues has increased "significantly" in the past six months, from 19 percent in November to 27 percent in April.

Unless Apple pulls out something extra special at WWDC next week, it looks like the shiny gadget maker's iTunes apps download record could fall soon. µ
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Last night, my puppy, Fitz bumped into a table and knocked my Nexus 7 onto the floor, cracking the screen.

I could probably replace the glass, but I'm probably not going to do that. I will just buy a new one and dump the borked one on Feebay for $40
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thread Information