Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tablet Computers

Thanks

Default Re: Tablet Computers

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

Gorilla glass for all devices. I do not trust anything but that as I too have cracked a screen or few on those without it. So far my Samsung Note with Gorilla has not a single scratch or crack and is over a year old with heavy daily use. My current and new second HP Touchpad also has the gorilla glass and nothing bad. I figure another great type will come our way, but iDevice glass is a good example of what not to get.

Thanks

I like this Galaxy Note so far. I don't think it has Gorilla Glass. Think it has something different.

Works well, better than my hacked Kindle Fire anyway. I think it needs an update (got to figure out how to do that later) because I think it is running Ice Cream Sandwich and should be at Jelly Bean now. /shrug

Wife has a bluetooth keyboard and case for her iPad she's never used. Gave it to me, but the Galaxy doesn't fit, so I guess I'll pull out some leather working skills and mod it or something. Keyboard works ok, just doesn't fit in the case. I don't NEED a keyboard for the tablet really, but it might come in handy occasionally.

Probably just get a good leather case (I didn't get one when I bought the device).
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

Rick, I know you are saving, but i highly recommend looking at Amazon for suitable cases. I have ought mine from there and of leather for a good deal and they are with me still.

Thanks

Not really 'Saving'.

We spent a good portion of our recently saved savings on the house. That money was REALLY, originally meant to be for our boat or outfitting it. The investment in the house was a better way to go to get a better price (we hope).

So right NOW we're actually looking at the high dollar things we need and items that are less expensive but things we need for say, the galley (the wife picked up a whole lot of little items when we got the camera and tablet at the base exchange).

I went over to Best Cry yesterday looking for a case. I stopped day before yesterday at Staples. Didn't see anything I liked or worked right. The case has to be designed to allow the stylus to come out of the bottom right of the tablet. Even though the cases I looked at said "Galaxy Note 10.1" they weren't and wouldn't work. I looked at Belikin and two or three other company's designs.

What I really want is a nice leather case. I'll find one.

(I hate to buy things over the internet like that, because they rarely turn out like the look in the pictures for some reason).
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Mal, do you have any recommendations on a case/cover for this Galaxy note?

I've been looking and looking and nothing seems "quite right" to me thus far.

I'm partial to leather cases with some protection for the device, but allows for all the ports (camera, charging port and getting at the pen)...

I've found about 5 or 6 and put them on my "wish list" to find them again, but every one seems to have some bad reviews as well as the good ones.

Ideas?
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I've been buying Case Logic cases. They seem to be plenty durable. They have one that's for the Tab that might be what you want.

http://www.caselogic.com/en-us/us/pr..._-_110_-_black

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Can you fit a keyboard in there? I've got a blue tooth keyboard that was for my wife's ipad but she doesn't use it. I can remove it from the case it's it (I thought about modding that particular case but it's too small to fit the Note and wouldn't protect it at all). That way I'll have a working keyboard with it.

The image appears to show it might fit in there.

I have a similar case for my kindle DX actually now that I look at that and it might be ok. It's soft and zippered. I'm thinking perhaps getting a really, really cheap cover to fit the Note and then put THAT inside a case like the one in your picture.

(That case is for the smaller device in the picture right? The 8" one?)
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

http://www.caselogic.com/en-us/us/pr...-_110_-_black#

Ah, this one is EXACTLY the case I have for the kindle (in fact, for the time being I have the Galaxy IN that case to carry it out with me, and the Kindle is stored in the night stand temporarily since I don't carry that one around much).
    Libertatem Prius!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

I was going to recommend an Otterbox or Lifeproof case but Otterbox doesn't make a case for the Note 10.1 yet and Lifeproof is for Apple products only.

Thanks

I took a look at some Otterbox stuff yesterday (but not for Galaxy) - it was "ok" but I'm not so much looking for a hard case as I am a soft leather case.

I DO have the capabilities and skills to BUILD something myself. I just don't have the time right now
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Here's the one I'm "strongly" considering. I don't want to buy two or three cases for one device (I noted that a LOT of people apparently DO just that, based on the various reviews. lol)

http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Execut...I2HYBCFKA1SFDI

Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

The case pictured is my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 7" inch I use here at work.

The case is "hard" in that it's stiff. It's not hard like a Samsonite suitcase though. It's just very firm. You can squeeze it with your fingers. It would definitely protect it from most casual damage. If you sat on it probably wouldn't get damaged. If you drove over it with your truck, it's not going to make it.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

lol Most things won't make it if driven over by trucks though hahaha.

The one I have is only a foam and cloth type case (the one for the Kindle DX) and I've dropped it a few times and it's fine, never got a scratch or anything on it.

The back of the Kindle is still shiny and unscathed.

My wife has a rubberized iPad case which *I* personally would never have bought. it has sharp edges where it was molded - all the edges. It's, to me, a bad design and it's not comfortable to hold at all but she likes it (then again she likes me too so I guess it's a matter of taste /shrug lol)

The picture above is kind of what I'm looking for, not exactly (and I'm not sure I KNOW exactly yet). But it is certainly a zippered case, and looks like it will protect the Note.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Mal, one other question. I think you said you do coding or something.... do you do any diagrams, drawings, etc using your tablet(s)?

Trying to figure out if there an application I can use on this device that produces something like visio schematics and diagrams. (I'm just starting my searches)
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Donaldson View Post
    Mal, one other question. I think you said you do coding or something.... do you do any diagrams, drawings, etc using your tablet(s)?

Trying to figure out if there an application I can use on this device that produces something like visio schematics and diagrams. (I'm just starting my searches)

Yes I write code. No I do not do any diagrams or drawings with my tablets.

In order of importance, I use the tablets for the following.

1. Email.
    2. Web browsing
    3. Reading QR codes
    4. Angry Birds
    5. Candy Crush Saga
    6. Sodoku

Since I've finished Angry Birds Star Wars and the main campaign, I haven't played AB in a while now.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

It's ok. Not what I need exactly. Don't need to simulate the circuits yet. lol
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Well, it's certainly good to see that Angry Birds is in the top 10. lol!

Ok... Just checking to see if you had some experience with it
    Libertatem Prius!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

With cases, I am a huge fan of the Otterboxes. Yeah, it adds a bit of girth to things but it is really a great way to ruggedize products not designed to be rugged.

I've used their Defender series cases on my Blackberries for the last 5+ years and haven't had a BB break yet. My current BB is about 2-2.5 years old and has suffered from numerous falls, throws (), and splashes from rain and it still looks and works like new.

Plus their warranty is awesome. If the rubber sleeve rots or tears they'll replace it at no charge. Or if the plastic case (or holster if it comes with one) breaks in any way they'll replace that too.

Figured a case like that would be right at home on a sailboat.

Thread Information