Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Weather Thread

Thanks

Default Re: Weather Thread

As Scarlett O'Hara says, "There's always next year".

Or something.

LOL
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruck View Post
    LMFAO! I know but this is probably my last thread of hope and I'm going to hold on to it with a death grip.

My saving grace is that model runs have been pretty consistent in matching up with the general theme of that first picture.
    The last 4 major storms showed that we were getting snow...right up until the storm arrived, 300 miles north of where it was "modeled" to be.

The comical part of this, I read a message by a guy in upstate NY complaining about not getting ANY warning that 2 feet of snow had just started to fall.

From what I can tell all the old school mets are dead. These guys who used to be fairly good at predicting storms back in the 70s, well before supercomputers predicted the weather, are completely silent.

These models are a complete joke. All of them. I will believe a model if it's showing that I could be getting snow while snow is actually falling.

From what I can tell they use androids tossing chicken bones to predict where the storms might go and how much QPF they may have...and the androids are drunk on 90 weight gear oil.
    Last edited by Malsua; February 12th, 2015 at 15:45.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

All right. Fill me in. Why do you want snow?

I can only answer from my own perspective - having to drive about 100 miles a day for work, I would rather it never snowed. I like the cold weather and the seasons, and snow when I don't have to go anywhere. It's beautiful and renewing. But why do you guys want the snow?

Thanks

I drive 80 miles round trip to work.

I want the snow because I love severe weather

I also love the snow because it validates the money I've spent on snow removal equipment. I usually make a few bucks during big storms, but it's a pittance.

I love having a guilt free day or two off of work because the state is closed. I don't get paid by the hour, so who cares

I love how severe weather focuses your purpose. What Kanye said at the Grammy's is shown for exactly how meaningless it is when you're trying to clear a path on the road so that someone can get to the Hospital.

During the Ice Storm of December 2008( http://thewellrats.com/malbor2/storm08/) , I spent roughly 8 hours cutting trees while getting bombarded. Limbs and trees were still falling while we were clearing.

I love doing that shit. I get to be the hero for a day, even if it's in my own mind.

The next day, it's back to the boring old commute.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

/chuckles

I love severe weather too.

However, summer time. No snow. Rain, hail, tornadoes, wind, floods.... storm spotting and the more dangerous "storm chasing".

To hell with snow though.

lol
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

If the end of the world ever comes, it's going to be one hell of a ride!
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

I get it. Severe weather alters our reality just enough to give us a sense of adventure. There was a day when I enjoyed this too. Now, I worry more about the morons looking to crash into me on the highway. Too bad. I need some adventure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MinutemanCO View Post
    I get it. Severe weather alters our reality just enough to give us a sense of adventure. There was a day when I enjoyed this too. Now, I worry more about the morons looking to crash into me on the highway. Too bad. I need some adventure.

Maybe it was something from the days when I lived in Tornado country. Whenever the weather alert siren went off, we'd pay attention and prepare for a twister. We never had one come through our property but there were two that went through within a mile.

When it was over, it was back to boredom again. heh.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Well, I can tell you for certain storm CHASING is an adventure. Spotting not so much, it's the safer version of chasing.

We were out on the lake one day and got caught by a late afternoon (which turned into night time, and then all night) storm, complete with lightning, thunder, high winds (the peak gusts were at 70 mph) - that was an adventure. I had to get the sails down, an anchor out as it came up (it was NOT expected or predicted for the day, in fact that day it was supposed to be clear and light winds) then it turned to two anchors, neither of which were holding correctly, so I started the engine and basically drove the boat into the shore line after dropping a stern anchor and raising the keel.

We tied three lines off to trees, had a stern anchor out and had dropped all sail and even removed them from the masts to keep the boat in place.

Man it was a loud, rough night but we got through it fine. lol

Sad part was, I wasn't even STORM CHASING - it came to us haha
    Libertatem Prius!

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

That's pretty close. Tornado sirens have the capacity to instill fear, or maybe it's extreme readiness.

I remember when I was a kid living south of Syracuse, NY. Maybe I was a freshman or sophomore in high school. We received about four feet of snow from a winter storm. It was rare that Syracuse ever shut down due to weather, but at that time people were sent home at about mid-day. Some were trapped in their cars and had to walk home. A friend of mine got word that two girls from our class were missing, thought to be stranded about five miles from our town. We suited up and rode snowmobiles down the state highway in search of these girls. (We'd do just about anything for girls in those days.) I distinctly remember that it felt like we were part of a Mad Max story. End of the world. Only two women left. Had to find them. Too bad we got bad information. We found no one stranded anywhere. It was fun nonetheless. Made for good memories.

Thanks

I distinctly remember that it felt like we were part of a Mad Max story. End of the world. Only two women left. Had to find them.
    Too bad it wasn't end of the world. lol
    Libertatem Prius!

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by American Patriot View Post
    Well, I can tell you for certain storm CHASING is an adventure. Spotting not so much, it's the safer version of chasing.

We were out on the lake one day and got caught by a late afternoon (which turned into night time, and then all night) storm, complete with lightning, thunder, high winds (the peak gusts were at 70 mph) - that was an adventure. I had to get the sails down, an anchor out as it came up (it was NOT expected or predicted for the day, in fact that day it was supposed to be clear and light winds) then it turned to two anchors, neither of which were holding correctly, so I started the engine and basically drove the boat into the shore line after dropping a stern anchor and raising the keel.

We tied three lines off to trees, had a stern anchor out and had dropped all sail and even removed them from the masts to keep the boat in place.

Man it was a loud, rough night but we got through it fine. lol

Sad part was, I wasn't even STORM CHASING - it came to us haha
    That's a mean sounding storm. Did you ever worry that the boat was going to go over?

Thanks

That's a mean sounding storm. Did you ever worry that the boat was going to go over?
    No, never.

No sails were up. So the wind was pushing on the masts. Not that much wind resistance there. Now, having a sail up in something like that would have been bad (and wrong).

Normally a gale is considered to be 38.4–46.3 mph.

That was (or would be on the ocean) considered to be "Violent".

You've lived in CO long enough to know we routinely get 68-70 mph winds on the plains and open areas.

It's "normal".

But being in a boat on a small lake is dangerous in other ways than flipping a boat. Boats and debris can be blown about and hit other things for instance.

On the water there's something called "fetch", the distance over which a storm blows... if you have a wind blowing over a very LONG distance, say 100 miles and the wind is smaller (10-12 knots) eventually you will build up pretty good waves.

On a lake with less than a mile or two across you will never get "huge waves" but you'll get a kind of pattern going where the wind creates waves which reflect back and eventually some of the waves get in sync and get larger, but that's rare.

On an ocean, I wouldn't want to be in anything much over about 30 mph (about 27 knots).

Unless 1) the boat is very heavy, 2) the keel is very heavy and 3) I have a stays'l (stay sail) and/or a storm trysail. Those are small sails that help the boat to stay pointed to the wind. If the winds get higher eventually you're going to "Heave To" (park the boat) and need some small sails, perhaps a sea anchor (which is a parachute used under water) etc

Fortunately, my boat is more like a ship. It' has a full, heavy keel, is heavy displacement (between 16-18 tons), has the right sails etc.
    Libertatem Prius!

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by American Patriot View Post
    Fortunately, my boat is more like a ship. It' has a full, heavy keel, is heavy displacement (between 16-18 tons), has the right sails etc.
    The new one?

Out of curiosity, have you ever read The Shipkiller by Justin Scott?

Thanks

Here's an example of how unreliable these models have become. Does that look like how a storm should move in 12 hours?

This morning we had this:

This afternoon we had thisI.e. Ryan gets no snow)
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know whether to or

Thanks

Saw this posted to the Accuweather thread for this Monday/Tuesday storm/non-event ().

It's from the KDVN (Davenport, IA) NOAA office AFD:
    ISSUED AT 315 PM CST THU FEB 12 2015

TRENDS IN THE MODELS FOR THE MONDAY TO TUESDAY EVENT IS TO TAKE THE
    SYSTEM FURTHER SOUTH. A RECENT TREND WITH THE MODELS IS THAT THEY
    SEEM TO BE MORE ACCURATE ABOUT A WEEK OUT...THEN DIVERGE AND RETURN
    TO THE EARLIER SOLUTION CLOSE TO THE EVENT. IM NOT SAYING THIS WILL
    HAPPEN HERE...ITS A POINT TO KEEP IN MIND. THINK THERE ARE STILL
    MAJOR PHASING ISSUES...SO IT WILL LIKELY STAY SOUTH OF THE AREA WITH
    THE EXCEPTION OF LIGHT SNOW ON MONDAY. AFTER THIS...WARMER
    TEMPERATURES THAN THIS WEEKEND WILL RETURN TO THE AREA. GIBBS

Thanks

All right. Fill me in. Why do you want snow?

I can only answer from my own perspective - having to drive about 100 miles a day for work, I would rather it never snowed. I like the cold weather and the seasons, and snow when I don't have to go anywhere. It's beautiful and renewing. But why do you guys want the snow?
    Mal pretty much covered it (minus the snow removal equipment for me, I just have a snow shovel ), especially the time off work. I can't safely drive, I can't do my job but still get paid due to "Act of God".

I would also add that I love getting out in the deep stuff on my quad decked out in cold weather gear. So much fun tearing around the woods and fields!

And it brightens up a drab, brown/gray, and dead Winter landscape.

Thanks

The new one?

Out of curiosity, have you ever read The Shipkiller by Justin Scott?
    Nope.
    Libertatem Prius!

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

From where I am living these storms that were to bring substantial snow headed northerly as well. The Allegheny mountains are buffering the weather to push north and go around it seems from maps.

Thread Information