Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Weather Thread

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Weather Thread

Here you go Mal. Took the time to make it just for you.

Thanks

And just in time for the next cold snap, I managed to score not just one but two kerosene heaters off of Craigslist! Like the last one, this one was a little bit of a drive, about an hour and fifteen minutes.

The ad was for another DuraGlo 23k BTU upright heater an older gentleman had listed for $30. When I got there he mentioned he also had a KeroSun Radiant 10 (9,600 BTU) like this:

that he was also asking $30 for.

I told him I had only come to buy the one and so only had $40 on me.

He told me he'd take that for both so I felt like i got a good deal after my long drive. I told him the hour and 15 minute drive wasn't that big of a deal since I'm used to 1.5-2 hour drives most days but his generosity was certainly appreciated.

The KeroSun even had a full ~2 gallons of kero in it!

Not having used one of these radiant kero heaters I decided to fire it up tonight to see how it fared.

I don't know if it is the fuel in it (no idea how old it is) or because of the design of it but this one definitely has a more noticeable odor than the upright, convection DuraGlos. The radiant design works well in my living room with its rather cramped layout, only putting heat out of the front. Almost like having a small fireplace. The dogs certainly seem to like it as they're both snoozing in front of it.

Thanks

I remember the days when I'd visit someone's place and they'd have those stinking ass Kerosene heaters running.

I'm unclear how you could have one that doesn't stink.

Oh and thanks for the map. Perfect

If you do the old "teach a man to fish" routine with me, I'll do it myself. I can't seem to find any access to the models themselves.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
    I remember the days when I'd visit someone's place and they'd have those stinking ass Kerosene heaters running.

I'm unclear how you could have one that doesn't stink.
    The big DynaGlo convection unit was surprisingly almost odor free when I was running it during the last cold snap. I really didn't smell much of anything. Supposedly it is because the kerosene heaters are so efficient. Maybe this old house being as drafty as it is helps! Beats me...

The smaller KeroSun does seem to be putting off more of an odor though. Maybe it is just inherent in the design? I would mention though, I've extinguished and relit it twice and it seems to have gotten a bit better. I'm burning off the fuel in there and going to let it do a complete burn off to clean the wick. This KeroSun seems to be sipping fuel but then again it is half the BTUs of the DynaGlos.

I'm about to fire up the new DynaGlo to see how that fares.

Quote Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
    Oh and thanks for the map. Perfect

If you do the old "teach a man to fish" routine with me, I'll do it myself. I can't seem to find any access to the models themselves.
    I had a chance to poke around Instant Weather Maps yesterday and play around with it.

Go to the site. Mouse over the "Maps" button. From there you can select the different models. The popular ones are the GFS, NAM, and Euro (ECMWF, options on that seem limited though). GEFS models are for subscribers only. Under one of those you'll want to select "CONUS". That will bring you to a page with several drop downs.

The first box on the left will automatically have the most recent model run but you can go backwards if you want.

The second from the left box will give you info from the model run on the first box through and up to the time period in the 4th box (If I have my understanding of it right).

Third box from the left is where you can select which model product you want to view (temperature, snowfall, etc.).

The furthest right box is the time out from the model run in hours that you can go (you can't do loop as that is for subscribers).

After you set the variables you want, just click the "View Map" button and it will generate the map you're looking for.

You can check out their FAQ and Variable Info pages for more info.

Thanks

AccuWeather Announces the Launch of the AccuWeather Channel in Q3 2014

January 16, 2014

AccuWeather Global Headquarters, January 13, 2014 - AccuWeather is pleased to announce it will launch a 24X7 weather channel, to be known as the AccuWeather Channel, in the third quarter of 2014.

AccuWeather had not planned to make the announcement at this time, but decided to accelerate the announcement in light of the controversy that has developed between DIRECTV and The Weather Channel and in order to make the public aware of an additional offering that will be available to them later this year.

AccuWeather is already the leading source of weather forecasts, information and data and is considered to be the most accurate and valuable source of weather forecasts around the world.

The Superior Accuracy™ of AccuWeather forecasts has allowed us to create a strong brand that has saved lives, protected property and placed pinpoint weather information in the hands of our consumers. AccuWeather has been recognized for its innovative and valuable displays and presentation of the weather to the public and private sectors.

AccuWeather's forecasts are the most localized and most customized and it is the only source for day-by-day forecasts 45 days in advance. AccuWeather is also prepared to launch MinuteCast™, which will provide minute-by-minute forecasts for every location in the United States and Canada.

The new AccuWeather Channel will be focused on helping people make better decisions in planning to improve life and safety. It will provide highly localized and customized forecasts, and will round out AccuWeather's suite of services to the public. AccuWeather already provides weather forecasts by smartphones, tablets, AccuWeather.com web and mobile sites, radio, AccuWeather-affiliated television stations, and over 500 newspapers nationwide.

The new AccuWeather Channel will be streamed on AccuWeather.com and other internet sites, as well as through media partner affiliate mobile and internet sites and is expected to be available through cable and satellite carriers.

AccuWeather is my go-to weather source and this will be a welcome addition to the DirecTV lineup. When The Weather Channel started airing reality TV programs, I knew they had jumped the shark.

Thanks

Moderate snow for us tonight. Clipper that popped up out of nowhere.

East coast folks, Mal and Phil, keep an eye on this!

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...nnel=top_story

Thanks

We're looking at a major cold snap coming.

2-4 inches of snow over the next two days.

Today will be "nice" - in the high 40s again. Yesterday was chilly. Sunday was beautiful. About 68 down in Pueblo (We went down to find the Shamrock Brewery and spent time walking around, watching the Broncos game, and then got a hotel for the evening instead of coming home).
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Looking at 6-10 inches of snow today.

Then bitter cold.

I'd rather have 24 inches of snow and 25 degrees.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

You can keep the bitter cold. yuk
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Looks pretty bad on the East Coast right now.

Yuk!

Closing schools etc. Flights being cancelled - about 3000 so far.

Mal? Got a live report for us?
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Damn another six to twelve HOURS!

Snow totals in the NY area 12"
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

MA will have blizzard warnings.

Long Island might see them.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

8-14 inches are expected.

They are doing what is called as "Nowcasting" because the storm is changing rapidly and they can't any longer predict with any reliability what the real snow fall totals will be.

Thus, they are saying 8-14 inches.

And... you might get more. lol
    Libertatem Prius!

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

Northern VA at my home we have at of local 19:28, about 4 inches on the ground of fluffy flakes. More is coming down, but not at the rate it was earlier as the storm passes. Wind is expected to pickup, though it was fairly windy during the day. Temps are to drop very low as expected in the wake of this "Janus" (ick naming winter storms).

My take, yesterday I called for a refill on my propane tank just in case and they came early this morning as the storm was starting. This is case power goes out and the genny has to run. Took 448 gallons to fill to 85%. Been a little while since I had them by and we have had approx 3 weeks of no power this winter so far. As you know, my system is 65kw and runs the house as normal on an automated system. Actual current power outages are minimal. See here: https://www.dom.com/storm-center/dom...outage-map.jsp

Yesterday I also went with my buddy and got snow and ice melter as my drive is 100yards and two lanes wide. Shovels and snow joe are on hand. I may do a prelim shovel out here shortly as its relatively ok temp wise at 23 with flurries.

Normally we get a layer of ice with snow on top. I like the simple snow with no ice as its much easier to deal with and is just plain nicer to look at.

I am thankful this relative lack of major snow has caused DC to shut down, even for a day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Fiord View Post
    I am thankful this relative lack of major snow has caused DC to shut down, even for a day.
    Is everyone ready to have their minds blown?

There has been a 4 day government shutdown!

Saturday, Sunday, MLK Day, Snowday Tuesday

Might even be 5+ days!

Thanks

lol

Shut it down for months!
    Libertatem Prius!

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

Damn, looks like the only break we're going to get is this weekend when it hits a blazing 38 on Sunday and then it will be back down to highs in the teens and even single digits until Thursday next week.

It is actually much warmer in Northern Idaho right now and for the same forecast period.

Thanks

Supposed to be in the high 50s here today.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information