Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Weather Thread

Thanks

Default Re: Weather Thread

I got 8 inches on Saturday and the forecast is for 14-18 today and tomorrow. It was up 6 more than that but the storm moved a little. My work area was 24-36, now 20-30. That's still a lot of snow.

Work will probably go the whole day but this will shut down northern NJ tonight and tomorrow for sure so I've got a day off
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Damn, Mal. You're making North Dakota look like a 5 star Caribbean resort.

Thanks

I heard a prediction of 36-42 inches of snow in some areas this morning
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Yeah, but in ND, you can start using a Snow Machine in October/November and use it all the way through March. We're lucky if you could use one for 5 days the entire year here.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Long Island is and parts of Mass are going to get 36+. That's a LOT of snow for this part of the country.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Yep.

My ship is covered in tarps.

It wasn't ever shrink wrapped. Hope it doesn't tip over.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
    I got 8 inches on Saturday and the forecast is for 14-18 today and tomorrow. It was up 6 more than that but the storm moved a little. My work area was 24-36, now 20-30. That's still a lot of snow.

Work will probably go the whole day but this will shut down northern NJ tonight and tomorrow for sure so I've got a day off

Here's a helpful warning map.

Thanks

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

It went negative and to the west...24-30 is on the table
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

I hate you...

Seriously, I've never seen that much snow fall in one event, ever. I think the most snow I've ever, in my entire life, seen fall in one event has been 10"-12" and that was around the mid-'90s. Have seen just a handful of 6"-8" events.

Thanks

I'll take some pictures for you

The last big one is here:

http://thewellrats.com/malbor2/storm10/snow.html
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

hahaha

Poor Ryan.

I should have taken pictures of the stuff that fell last week. All damned week. We had about 10" all together. Just not all at once. And some melted before more fell. It sucked bad.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

CBS/APJanuary 26, 2015, 12:53 PM
    Blizzard 2015: Cities, states begin shutting down

Last Updated Jan 26, 2015 1:07 PM EST

NEW YORK - Cities big and small along the Philadelphia-to-Boston corridor of more than 35 million people began shutting down and bundling up Tuesday against a powerful and potentially historic storm that could unload 1 to 3 feet of snow.
    Officials urged residents to stay safe and prepare early as the region's transportation systems prepared to grind to a halt.
    More than 5,000 flights were canceled, schools and businesses planned to close early, and cities mobilized snowplows and salt spreaders, getting ready for a dangerously windy blast that could instantly make up for what has been a largely snow-free winter in the urban Northeast.

Snow was already falling in several cities, including Philadelphia and New York, with Boston up next in the afternoon. Forecasters said the brunt of the storm would hit Monday evening and into Tuesday.
    Boston is expected to get 2 to 3 feet, New York 1.5 to 2 feet, and Philadelphia a foot or so. The National Weather Service issued a blizzard warning for a 250-mile swath of the region, meaning heavy, blowing snow and potential whiteout conditions.
    In Hartford, Connecticut, Frank Kurzatkowski filled several five-gallon buckets of water at his home in case the power went out and his well pump failed.
    "I've got gas cans filled for my snowblowers," he said. "I have four-wheel-drive."
    Supermarkets and hardware stores did a brisk trade as light snow fell in New Jersey.
    Nicole Coelho, 29, a nanny from Lyndhurst, New Jersey, was preparing to pick up her charges early from school and stocking up on macaroni and cheese, frozen pizzas and milk at a supermarket. She also was ready in case of a power outage.
    "I'm going to make sure to charge up my cellphone, and I have a good book I haven't gotten around to reading yet," she said.
    Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy ordered a travel ban on Connecticut highways starting at 9 p.m., while officials in other states asked residents to avoid any unnecessary travel. About half of all flights out of New York's LaGuardia Airport were called off Monday, and about 60 percent of flights heading into the airport were scratched.
    Boston's Logan Airport said there would be no flights after 7 p.m. Monday, and the shutdown could last until late Wednesday.
    Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker warned residents to prepare for roads that are "very hard, if not impossible, to navigate," power outages and possibly a lack of public transportation. Wind gusts of 75 mph or more were possible for coastal areas of Massachusetts, and up to 50 mph farther inland, forecasters said.
    New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said he had declared a state of emergency, and that government offices would be closed on Tuesday, with early closures on Monday.
    "This is a different kind of storm than what we've had before," Christie said.
    New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo urged commuters to stay home on Monday and warned that mass transit and roads could be closed before the evening rush hour, even major highways such as the New York Thruway and the Long Island Expressway. Cuomo said the New York City subway system is going to start experiencing limited service around 8 p.m., and it may shut down as the storm worsens.
    "The expression is, they want to put the trains away," Cuomo said.
    New York City Mayor Bill DeBlasio said the streets of the city will become off-limits to all non-emergency vehicles beginning around 11 p.m. ET. He urged New Yorkers to stay home and out of the way. A total of 2,400 sanitation workers will be deployed around the city to continuously clear its 6,000 miles of roadways, DeBlasio said.
    The Nassau University Medical Center on Long Island increased staff and outfitted vehicles with snow gear. Hospital officials said they expect a large influx of patients as doctors' offices and clinics close because of the weather.
    A tractor-trailer jackknifed, and a beer truck crashed into the median on Interstate 81 near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, during the morning commute. No injuries were reported.
    Some schools were planning to close early or not open at all Monday in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York and Connecticut.
    The Washington area expected only a couple of inches of snow.
    The Super Bowl-bound New England Patriots expected to be out of town by the time the storm arrived in Boston. The team planned to leave Logan Airport at 12:30 p.m. Monday for Phoenix, where the temperature will reach the high 60s.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Now the latest model scales the precips way back. lol. It's a bust for my house! 10-12 inches. Big, but not very. I think it's wrong, and 18-22 is still on the table. Crossing fingers.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Northeastern U.S. braces for 'crippling' blizzard

By Jonathan Allen
    NEW YORK Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:26pm EST

• Tweet
    • Share this
    • Email
    • Print

1 of 7. People walk across the Brooklyn Bridge towards the Brooklyn borough of New York City as a winter storm begins in New York, January 26, 2015.
    Credit: Reuters/Stephanie Keith

Related Video

Monster storm headed to the East Coast

Factboxes

Related News

Analysis & Opinion

Related Topics

(Reuters) - The U.S. Northeast on Monday braced for a massive, crippling blizzard that could dump as much as three feet of snow as tens of millions of people were urged to stay home and airlines canceled thousands of flights.
    Transit systems in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Massachusetts planned to curtail services, and several governors ordered motorists off roadways by evening in a region that is home to some 50 million people.
    The National Weather Service issued a blizzard warning for New York City and surrounding areas between coastal New Jersey and Connecticut, beginning 1 p.m. EST on Monday and worsening overnight.
    The weather service warned the approaching system would be a "crippling and potentially historic blizzard," with many areas along the East Coast expected to be blanketed by 12 inches to 24 inches (30-60 cm) of snow. The New York City area could be the hardest hit, with lashing winds topping 50 miles per hour (81 kph) and snowfall of three feet or more in some suburbs.
    Vacationers and business travelers faced headaches as airlines canceled about 2,700 flights, according to flight-tracking service FlightAware, including nearly 700 flights at the three main airports serving New York City.
    STATE OF EMERGENCY
    New York Governor Andrew Cuomo declared a state of emergency and deployed National Guard troops to a number of counties in the southern part of the state as well as New York City.
    N.Y. authorities said they were considering a total travel ban on main roads, starting at 11 p.m. EST (0400 GMT Tuesday).
    "It could be a matter of life and death so caution is required," Cuomo said. "This is not an evening or a night to be out and about."
    New York City subways, which carry 5.5 million riders daily, will run on a normal schedule until about 8 p.m., when service will be curtailed to allow subway cars and equipment to be stowed, Cuomo said at a news conference.
    New York City public schools, which serve more than 1 million students, will be closed on Tuesday, New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said. Scores of other schools districts were shutting early on Monday.Two major commuter railroads, Metro-North Railroad and Long Island Rail Road, will run normally until 11 p.m., Cuomo said.
    New Jersey Governor Chris Christie declared a state of emergency, and sent all but the most essential government workers home on Monday afternoon, telling them not to return until Wednesday at the earliest. New Jersey Transit commuter trains will stop running for at least one day, beginning at 10 p.m. on Monday, he said.
    "Please stay home," Christie told residents.
    The governors of Massachusetts and Connecticut told residents to expect driving bans later tonight and all day tomorrow. They warned that hundreds of thousands of people could lose power, possibly for days.
    "We are anticipating an historic, top-five storm, based on the snowfall," Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker told reporters on Monday. The Boston-area transit system will be shut on Tuesday, he said. He warned that coastal parts of the state will likely suffer flooding.
    At Boston's Logan International Airport, the last passenger flight was to leave around 7 p.m. EST and airlines planned to remove all planes by the day's end.
    President Barack Obama, who is traveling in New Delhi, India, was briefed on the coming storm earlier on Monday, White House spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters.
    "CLEANED US OUT"
    As New York sidewalks turned white, last-minute shoppers grabbed supplies. In a Best Market grocery store in Harlem, about two dozen people stood with filled baskets in a line that stretched the length of the store.
    "Usually it's not like that on a weekday morning," store manager Dror Dayce said. "Yesterday they cleaned us out."
    Sarah Schaefer, a 31-year old professor at Columbia University, waited to buy canned food and bread. "We've seen instances where they told us to be prepared and it wasn't so bad," she said, "and then other instances it was really bad."
    In Brooklyn, lines stretched down the street outside the Park Slope Food Coop, a local favorite. At a nearby grocery, bread and water were almost gone by the morning commute. The biggest snowfall on record in New York City came during the storm of Feb. 11-12, 2006, dropping 26.9 inches (68 cm), according to the city's Office of Emergency Management.
    Cities along the heavily populated East Coast had snow plows and trucks on standby to dispense road salt.
    "This will be a long-duration cleanup and I urge everyone to plan accordingly," Connecticut's Gov. Malloy told reporters in Hartford, adding that hundreds of thousands of people could lose power. "If you can leave work early or work from home, please do."
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Blizzard 2015: New England Buried, NYC Lifts Travel Ban

BLIZZARD '15: THE LATEST

• NYC lifts travel ban, subways back Tuesday morning
    • 30-feet seas reported along Massachusetts coast
    • Boston mayor: 'Main bulk hitting us right now'
    • Eight states under emergency declarations

By ALASTAIR JAMIESON and ERIN McCLAM

Coastal New England was battered Tuesday by a blizzard of blinding snow, ferocious waves and winds that topped hurricane speed, and city streets in Boston were empty of all but snowplows.
    New York City and New Jersey lifted travel bans, and Gov. Andrew Cuomo said subways and buses in the nation's largest city would roll again later in the morning. But major airports in the Northeast were still deserted after more than 7,700 flights were canceled.
    In Massachusetts, the blizzard was living up to its historic billing. The city Worcester, about 60 miles west of Boston, had 25 inches of snow on the ground and was closing in on its record of 32.1 as a band of extremely heavy snow settled in for the morning.
    "We've had a pretty good night, but the main bulk of the storm is hitting us right now," Mayor Marty Walsh of Boston said on NBC's TODAY. "We're asking people just to stay in their homes today and just ride this one out."
    He said it could still be Tuesday night or Wednesday before mass transit starts rolling again in Boston. In the meantime, police were ferrying doctors and nurses to their hospital shifts.

Snow left to fall thru Wednesday: pic.twitter.com/LcbyDRksEX
    — Stephanie Abrams (@StephanieAbrams) January 27, 2015
    Gov. Charlie Baker told a morning news conference: "So far, I guess what I would say is so good," but he stressed that the island of Nantucket was hit especially hard.
    A 78 mph gust of wind was recorded there, the strength of a minor hurricane. And emergency officials reported high waves and "severe flooding" as water sloshed inland.
    "There is about 4 feet of water in the street in front of the house," Eric Murphy, a pest control worker, told NBC News from his home in Marshfield, Massachusetts. "We do get flooding here, but this is the worst I've seen in the 15 years I've lived here. My house is on stilts, but another few inches and we might be in trouble."
    Baker said there were reports of people getting out of their cars on some Massachusetts roads to clear their windshields, putting them in danger of being struck by snowplows. "Not a good idea," he said.

What's helping the storm surge? Just a few miles outside of Boston Harbor, seas are about 20 ft! pic.twitter.com/w5DbPXjIJO
    — NWS Boston (@NWSBoston) January 27, 2015

Impressive drifting! RT @norwellfiredept: @WX1BOX @NWSBoston impossible 2-3 foot drifts pic.twitter.com/qrlIgWfjFX
    — NWS Boston (@NWSBoston) January 27, 2015
    Eight states were under emergency declarations: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island.
    The snow totals across New England were impressive: 18 inches in Sandwich, Massachusetts, 13.8 inches in Marlborough, Massachusetts, and 11 inches in Middletown, Rhode Island. Islip, New York, on Long Island, was buried under almost 17 inches of snow by 5 a.m.

Family Braves the Blizzard in Massachusetts

NBC News

New York City was spared the worst of the storm and had a little more than 6 inches on the ground at Central Park, with perhaps an inch or two still to fall, forecasters said.
    That was a far cry from the worst predictions — the National Weather Service had warned of as much as 3 feet of snow — but the nation's largest city was at a standstill nonetheless. Just before daybreak, a blizzard warning was downgraded to a winter storm warning.
    The National Weather Service's New York office reported "much less snow than previously predicted for the western half of our region."
    "The science of forecasting storms, while continually improving, still can be subject to error, especially if we're on the edge of the heavy precipitation shield," the office said on its Facebook page. "Efforts, including research, are already underway to more easily communicate that forecast uncertainty."
    Kevin Roth, a lead forecasters for The Weather Channel, said that competing computer forecast models put the center of the storm system slightly to the east and slightly to the west. The east turned out to be right, and that made the difference, he said.

Blizzard Tears Into Plymouth, Massachusetts

NBC News

At John F. Kennedy Airport, passengers on at least one outbound Virgin Atlantic flight were stranded when their flight to London was canceled after six hours on the tarmac.
    "There's nothing to drink, nothing to eat. It's a disaster," said Alexis Dehasse, a music producer who was aboard Virgin Atlantic Flight 4 to London, which was supposed to take off at 6:30 p.m. ET but dumped passengers back at the gate after midnight after dealing with de-icing and a sick passenger.
    Amtrak suspended Tuesday service on many of its busiest lines, including the Northeast Regional and Acela Express between New York and Boston, and Boston and New York suspended subways.

NBC News' Elisha Fieldstadt, M. Alex Johnson, Jon Schuppe, Tracy Connor, Shamar Walters and Hasani Gittens contributed to this report.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

New York City Is Spared Worst Effects of Snowstorm

By MARC SANTORA and EMMA G. FITZSIMMONS

Slide Show
    Streets were closed after an 11 p.m. Monday curfew.
    Credit Katie Orlinsky for The New York Times

Continue reading the main story

Continue reading the main story Share This Page
    • Email
    • Tweet
    • Save
    • more

New York City, which was shut down overnight, was spared the worst of a snowstorm that swept across the Northeast early Tuesday and slowly returned to its normal rhythms as travel bans were lifted and transit services gradually restored.
    But even as buses and trains began to move again, the widespread closings left the city virtually deserted in the early morning hours. Grand Central Terminal was deserted, Times Square was quiet and the streets of Lower Manhattan were largely empty of financial workers.
    The situation on the eastern end of Long Island, parts of Connecticut and the New England coast was more difficult, with winds as high as 48 miles per hour measured at Montauk point and snow continuing to fall.
    “Suffolk County is still getting hit very hard,” Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said, noting that snowfalls had exceeded two feet in some places. Much of the snow-removal equipment in the city, he said, would be redeployed to the hardest hit areas.
    Mr. Cuomo announced at 7:30 a.m. that the travel bans on most roads across the state and in the city had been lifted. He also said that Metropolitan Transportation Authority and PATH service was expected to resume this morning, but that longer suspensions could be expected on parts of the Long Island Railroad in eastern Long Island.
    Continue reading the main story Video Play Video|0:49

Cuomo Tells New Yorkers to Stay Home

Cuomo Tells New Yorkers to Stay Home

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo urged New Yorkers to stay indoors and avoid hazardous conditions during the snowstorm.
    Video by Reuters on Publish Date January 26, 2015. Photo by Sam Hodgson for The New York Times.
    Subway service was scheduled to start at 9 a.m. and slowly resume operating on a Sunday schedule.
    Mr. Cuomo, speaking at a press conference in Manhattan, said that the lessons of past storms is to “lean towards safety.”
    He defended the decision to close streets and stop subway service, saying that they will now be able to get roads cleared and restore service faster than if they had not shut things down.
    “I would much rather be in a situation where we say we got lucky than one where we didn’t get lucky and somebody died,” he said.
    “We respond to the best information that we have,” Mr. Cuomo said.
    Mayor Bill de Blasio, appearing on CNN, said that the decision to completely shut down the city was the right one, even if the forecasts did not turn out to be accurate.
    “This is a better safe than sorry scenario,” he said, noting that meteorologists were calling for more than two feet of snow in the city late into the evening. “Two feet of snow would have paralyzed this city.”
    “We dodged a bullet,” he said.
    Graphic

Status of Airports, Trains, Schools and Other Services in the New York Area

What is open and closed as a winter storm hits the New York region.

OPEN Graphic

In New Jersey, Gov. Chris Christie also lifted travel bans and said that New Jersey Transit would resume normal service by Tuesday afternoon. The Port Authority Bus Terminal opened at 9 a.m.
    Early Tuesday, the National Weather Service acknowledged that the predictions had been off-target.
    “Rapidly deepening winter storms are very challenging to predict, specifically their track and how far west the heaviest bands will move,” the weather service said as it updated its forecast. “These bands are nearly impossible to predict until they develop. Our science has come a long way, but there are still many moving parts in the atmosphere, which creates quite the forecast challenge.”
    Continue reading the main story Continue reading the main story
    The weather service said that the storm had moved further east and that “much less snow” would fall near the city than previously predicted.
    Gary Szatkowski, the meteorologist in charge at the weather service station in Mount Holly, N.J., told weather watchers, “You made a lot of tough decisions expecting us to get it right, and we didn’t.”
    Gov. Dannel P. Malloy of Connecticut said that while many parts of the state were spared the worst of the storm, there were many people who woke up to find more than two feet of snow and there was work to be done to get the necessary resources where they were needed.
    “There is no bad news in not everyone getting three feet of snow,” he said.
    Late Monday, driving bans had taken effect across New York City, New Jersey and Connecticut. Subway and bus service were suspended, and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey closed Hudson River crossings.
    Thousands of flights were grounded, public transportation was suspended or curtailed, and travel bans were put in place in the half-dozen states in the path of the storm. More than two feet of snow had been expected in some parts of the region before the storm’s end.
    In New York City, after calls by the authorities to head home early, workers poured out of office buildings on Monday and crowded onto subway platforms, packed train stations and squeezed onto buses.
    As Sandeep Dutta, 42, waited for his train home at Jamaica station in Queens, he held tight to a backpack with emergency provisions, including waterproof boots and chemical warming packs.
    “There’s just more anxiety,” Mr. Dutta said. “You’re anxious to get home, but so far, things are working out.”
    As the storm gathered moisture over the Atlantic and picked up energy, commuters also took to the roads — hoping to beat both the deteriorating weather and the widespread bans on driving that were set to go into effect late on Monday.
    From Fort Lee, N.J., to Andover, Mass., nearly every road was declared off limits by government officials to everyone except emergency workers. The orders were both to keep people safe and to allow workers better access to start clearing roads.
    “This will most likely be one of the largest blizzards in the history of New York City,” Mr.de Blasio had warned.
    Mr. de Blasio took the unusual step of ordering all drivers off the streets by 11 p.m. on Monday, a ban that he said covered “anything that has to do with leisure or convenience,” including, to the chagrin of many housebound New Yorkers, food delivery.
    Map

How Much Snow Has Fallen

Inches of snow and time of measurement as reported by the National Weather Service.

OPEN Map

The call to completely clear the streets was a reflection of how seriously public officials were taking the threat of the storm, which was expected to affect a 250-mile stretch of the Northeast.
    Across the region, governors declared states of emergency, deployed National Guard units and prepared fleets of snowplows and salt trucks.
    Coastal areas including eastern Long Island, Cape Cod and other parts of New England were expected to be battered by winds that could blow nearly as high as a hurricane — the threshold is 74 m.p.h. — leading to possible flooding and widespread power failures that might last for days.

But there were no reports of widespread power outages
    The public seemed to heed the warnings, crowding the aisles of grocery and home-goods stores to stock up on supplies.
    Given that cars stranded on roads and highways have proved to be a problem during recent storms, state leaders all had a common message — get off the roads as soon as possible.
    “Mother Nature has decided once again to come visit us in an extreme way,” said Mr. Cuomo.
    Mr. de Blasio said the decision to order all drivers off the roads in New York City was necessary to ensure that sanitation workers could clear streets and emergency workers could get where they needed to go. He said the order extended to those making food deliveries on bicycles.
    “People have to make smart decisions from this point on,” he said. “It is not business as usual.”
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

It was a big bust for me. About 4 inches came down through both storms. No biggie.

The storm was essentially about 75 miles too far east. Had it closed off earlier, the predictions would have held and it would have been a great storm. I still got the day off but I didn't get to stress test my snow removal equipment.

It took me a whole 10 minutes to plow everything Another 45 minutes to snow blow everything I could find and that was that.

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

LOL! I suppose it is a good thing and a bad thing. I think that would really tick me off though.

A 75 mile, last minute shift is huge and really unusual. Normally the combination of short range models have a decent solution locked in which might only deviate a little bit. This year has been terrible for models though which is why I haven't really posted any to this thread this Winter. I've seen like 4 storms for my area predicted and fall apart, 2 of which were forecast up until almost the last minute.

Thanks

It wasn't that it shifted, it was that the storm low didn't fully form until it was off of Long Island instead of DelMarVa.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thread Information