Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940

Thread: Weather Thread

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Weather Thread

Probably the money shot of this disappointing season. Big fat flakes at a nice high rate.

Lasted all of 10 minutes before turning to sleet briefly then ending. Just a snow squall and sitting at 40 right now...

Thanks

I woke up to pretty much everything covered in white. Pretty much gone by noon.

Name:  two.jpg
Views: 1577
Size:  384.9 KB
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
    I woke up to pretty much everything covered in white. Pretty much gone by noon.
    Yeah, that's been the story with every snow this Winter. Don't think any have stuck around any longer than 24 hours, at least in any appreciable amount. The last inch or so we just got might have come close to being around about that long but I'm not 100%.

Thanks

Nothing like nearly 24 hours of 35 degrees temps and an inch of rain to brighten the spirits!

Thanks

Another exciting Spring in SW Ohio.

A crazy strong line of storms blew through around 10:30-11:00 local. This weak tornado spinup was literally in my backyard according to Channel 5.

Could feel the house vibrating at the height of it.

Neighbor's outbuilding is gone. Found pieces of it, including all the large planks, across the field behind my house and in the front yard of a neighbor's down the street.

Neighbor across the street had a tree fall into their house and shift it off the foundation slightly.

My shelter got torn up. Again. Not nearly as bad as a couple years ago though! Lost the roof and the front, and one of the leg to top connector pieces snapped. Otherwise the sides and back are still good. Everything in it is soaked. Some unreal rain on the backside.

Still have one large, wheeled garbage can MIA. Found the other one about 200 yards away in the side field where some of the neighbor's outbuilding remains were.

Amazingly still have power so kudos to the utility crews that have been trimming the line ROWs the last couple months.

Tomorrow morning is going to be loads of fun.

Thanks

Had a chance to do assessment today. Tired from cleanup...

Now that there's been a chance to look at things in the daylight, I came out pretty okay considering my neighbors' damage.

My only casualties were my soft sided 10x20 auto shelters that I'll have to get some new tops and side panels for and my 2 Rumpke garbage cans, one with a broken lid and other with wheels broken off with both found about 250yds away on the opposite side of the house where they're kept. Other than that just a whole mess of branches that need cleaned up, some of which came off a tree about 20 yards from my house which had been struck by lightning many years ago.

The neighbor's across the street that had the tree hit their house and move it (don't mind the utility pole on the ground, that's a new one going in they dropped off a couple weeks ago):

The neighbor directly across from me. A couple small trees snapped off and blocking his drive:

The lightning struck tree and the branches that came off it:

Wider shot:

Close in on where the neighbor's outbuilding used to be, behind the orange Jeep:

A pic from many, many years ago and what it looked like standing (RIP Rex ):

It was stout enough it had survived a number of wind storms before.

Debris from it about 150 yards away. These were some of the sizable wood planks from it:

There was more debris including some planks as well as side and top panels further away, about 250 yards from where it was, in the yard of a neighbor down the street (house is to the right out of frame). A lot of which ended up wedged in their front porch too. Also about where I found my garbage cans.

Wider shot of the debris field looking in the general direction of where the last pic was taken:

The neighbor that had the outbuilding blown away said the back porch, which is elevated from the walkout basement level to the 1st floor because of the grade of the terrain, said it was pulled about 8" away from the house. They had about 7 car windows broken out and many more fairly large pieces from a tree in their back yard.

If there was a weak tornado like Channel 5 said there was, it must have dropped down almost right on top of them since the neighbor that ended up with most of the remains of the outbuilding didn't get damage anywhere near as bad. If I had to make a SWAG about where it traveled, this would have to be somewhat close to it based on the debris spread and damage I had:

My guess is EF0 to very low end EF1.

Some damage pics of my redneck 2 car garage. Came through way better than the first time it got taken down by weather, before I put buried anchors in:

I'd say it held up pretty damn well considering!

Put the truck to work hauling debris out of the field since it's going to be planting time soon:

Lots more cleanup to do. Not easy trying to do it around my on call schedule but I'll have my youngest brother coming over at some point and the neighbors are all pitching in.

Thanks

Interesting weather related observation to share.

We're almost in June and the fields around me haven't yet been planted because of how cold it's been up until this point. They just sprayed Roundup to kill off all the weeds last week.

Aside from last year with the first round of planting failed because of so much rain and needing a second planting, this is the latest single planting I ever remember in the 17 years I've been here. Normally the seeds are in the ground in April.

Funny enough, it's now hot as hell outside. My weather station just measured 91 (and 67% humidity). What Spring?

Thanks

Well, looks like we're on the eve of one of the biggest Winter storms we've had in a while!

I'm loving the incoming weather but hating the timing.

This is coming right in the middle of my move to my new house and I can't even get up the driveway in my wimpy work van from the last storm as is. Had to take the HMMWV.

You can see where my van quit.

Right now, looks like we're looking at +8" and CONUS is sitting under it's largest Winter weather warning/advisory coverage ever with the last #1 having been in 2005. Multiple entire states including Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Ohio entirely under Winter Storm Warning.

ETA: Well, I guess was... TX and OK have pulled back the warnings on some counties.

Thanks

Well, the big snows here were a bit of a bust. We ended up with a lot of sleet for the first couple hours of the second wave of this system. There was apparently a layer slightly above freezing around 5,000 feet that was melting stuff before it hit the cold air down here at the surface which was in the low 20s. Just crazy to think of sleet falling with surface temps 10 degrees below freezing. I went out in it for a bit. Combined with the wind it was like being sandblasted. Just horrible.

We did still end up with a couple inches but it's hard to get a measure since the strong winds have caused drifting. If I had to guess, maybe 5" in wave 2, maybe 2" in wave 1. Roads are still quite bad even without the major snow depths that were predicted. Haven't seen but 1 vehicle, including plows, go down my street since at least 9pm.

Thread Information