Thread: Gem Runner (a free computer game)

Thanks

Default Gem Runner (a free computer game)

Not sure if this is totally appropriate here, so I'll rely on the mods to move or delete if needed.

I put together a little top-down shooter game for a programming contest back in March. If you like that sort of thing, please try it out and let me know what you think. You can get the details here: http://www.mwgames.com/MessageBoard/viewtopic.php?t=208

It requires Windows, DirectX8.1 (or better), and a graphics card that can handle 1024x768 at 16-bit color (or better).

It's a short little 10-level tech demo, initially intended to show off the 2D game engine that I'm using to code it. However, it's also a proof-of-concept of a larger shareware version of the game that I hope to have out by late summer.

Here's a little teaser screenshot:

Cheers!
    -Bryk

Thanks

Default Re: Gem Runner (a free computer game)

Anybody tried it?

Thanks

I'm Downloading it now and will try it out tomorrow while at the in-laws trying to ignore all of them. We'll see if it can pass that test
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

By the way... Did you program the engine from scratch or use some of the multitude available for dollars on the net?
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Baldwin
    Did you program the engine from scratch or use some of the multitude available for dollars on the net?
    The main engine is called the DXGame Engine, and it's primarily programmed by a guy in Texas named Dave Munsie, although he has added other folks routines into it as needed. It's for 2D-only games, but makes working with DirectX routines (graphics, sounds, music, controls, etc.) very easy.

The game logic, and all graphics and music were mine though.

-Bryk

Thanks

Well I tried it out some today and it is quickly addictive. Nice job. I will keep it on my laptop for when I go to my inlaws! lol

As for the engine... Programing one's own engine is pure love. I say that because it is so damned frustrating you HAVE to love doing it. I'm with you in that I would use someone else's engine when possible. I'll have to take a look at his engine and see what all it can do. Maybe we can make a game for the TAA site and compete with each other for high score.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Baldwin
    Programing one's own engine is pure love.
    That's the pure truth! I had written a very simple WinAPI-based drawing engine that I used for my first couple games (simple board games -- no fast-drawing methods required). But my attempts to try to build my own DirectX-based engine were not going to be satisfactory. This engine was the best fit -- free, 2D and VB-based ... definitely not for everyone, but enough for me to put my designer hat back on instead of programmer hat -- a much more comfortable fit.

Glad you like the game ... once you get good at it, drop me an e-mail -- I have some updated versions of the maps that make things a bit trickier.

-Bryk

Thanks

Well, taking it to the inlaws backfired! I started playing it so I wouldn't have to listen to the inane conversations of how all their children are absolute genius' and then lo and behold... One by one they all gathered around me and asked a bunch of questions about the game. lmao

I think I'm going to purchase a taser instead. Then I can play the game in peace.
    Brian Baldwin

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Taser? Like this?

By the way, I have downloaded the game, I just have not had a chance to play it yet.

Thanks

taser exactly like that! lol

Here's an example of their conversational habits. Her older brother talks non-stop about growing veggies for farmers markets' Her sisters talk about children incessantly and her parents believe George W. Bush is an evil Overlord in charge of all the oil companies.

Try to bring up a current event or future technologies or even the cosmos and their eyes glaze over and they immediately begin doing hail mary's and are father's. They live within a bubble and think I should too. (Stepford Wives style bubble.) Really creepy.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

I will have a public beta available for "Gem Raider" (the up-coming polished shareware version of "Gem Runner") in the next few days and I'm looking for some testers.

If you'd like to beat the game up (and give me feedback, of course), send me an e-mail and I'll reply with a link to the download (~10MB).

Thanks,
    -Bryk

Thanks

I just released "Gem Raider" ... with a free demo and a buy-the-full-version shareware type setup.

You can checkout the game's webpage here: http://www.mwgames.com/gemraider.asp

Check it out ... and let me know what you think.

-Bryk

Thread Information