Thread: Nearly half of American adults believe in a medical conspiracy theory

Thanks

Default Nearly half of American adults believe in a medical conspiracy theory

Nearly half of American adults believe in a medical conspiracy theory

Share Tweet Reddit Email

2 Comments

Lindsay Lowe

Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014, 9:21 AM

If you believe in some sort of medical conspiracy theory—such as the claim that cell phones cause cancer, or vaccines cause autism—you’re not alone. Nearly half (49 percent) of American adults believe in at least one medical conspiracy theory, and 18 percent believe in three or more, according to a new study from the University of Chicago.

Researchers surveyed 1,351 adults around the country and asked them about their agreement or disagreement with specific medical conspiracies. Just over a third, for example, believe that “the Food and Drug Administration is deliberately preventing the public from getting natural cures for cancer and other diseases because of pressure from drug companies.”

One in five respondents also believe “doctors and the government still want to vaccinate children even though they know these vaccines cause autism and other psychological disorders.”

Fewer respondents (12 percent) believe that “the CIA deliberately infected large numbers of African Americans with HIV under the guise of the hepatitis inoculation program.”

People may believe in medical conspiracies because they provide simple, easy explanations for complex phenomena, according to the study’s lead author, J. Eric Oliver.

“Science in general—medicine in particular—is complicated and cognitively challenging because you have to carry around a lot of uncertainty,” he told Reuters. “To talk about epidemiology and probability theories is difficult to understand as opposed to ‘If you put this substance in your body, it’s going to be bad.’”

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/living/...ZSQmqI8tve4.99
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Nearly half of American adults believe in a medical conspiracy theory

This is the dumbing of America....

Seriously. THIS is why "Anomalies Network" even existed in the first place.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Nearly half of American adults believe in a medical conspiracy theory

See, I believe there are some conspiracy theories.

I believe that scientists work on treatments more than cures.

I believe that the scientists working on the Tokamak reactor are actively downplaying any of the competing technologies, such as the Polywell. I believe that the DOE is adamantly blocking any funding of the Polywell because it will ruin their gravy train.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
    See, I believe there are some conspiracy theories.

I believe that scientists work on treatments more than cures.

I'll just say that sometimes you know the cure is quite some ways away. In the interm, it's good policy to also research effective treatment to manage the disease while you're still working on the cure. Diabetes is a good example (especially type I). Stem cell reserch holds a lot of promise for a cure, but if it wasn't for very effective meds and an understanding of diet, there would be an awefull lot of people living in misery and heading to an early painful death.

Thread Information