Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taliban Prisoner Swap Frees U.S. Soldier Held Nearly 5 Years

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Taliban Prisoner Swap Frees U.S. Soldier Held Nearly 5 Years

Definite mixed feelings on this. I'm glad he's back in friendly hands but it makes me sick how it was done.

Taliban Prisoner Swap Frees U.S. Soldier Held Nearly 5 Years

May 31, 2014

The lone American prisoner of war from the Afghan conflict, captured by insurgents nearly five years ago, has been released to American forces in exchange for five Taliban prisoners held at the Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, detention facility, Obama administration officials said Saturday.

The soldier, Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, was handed over to American Special Operations forces inside Afghanistan about 10:30 a.m. Saturday by a group of 18 Taliban, officials said.

American officials said that Sergeant Bergdahl was in good condition and able to walk.

The five Taliban prisoners at Guantánamo were being transferred into the custody of officials from Qatar, who will accompany them back to that Persian Gulf state, where they will be subject to security restrictions, including a one-year travel ban.

Talks on the exchange resumed in earnest about a week ago with Qatari officials who were acting as intermediaries for the Taliban.

President Obama personally telephoned the soldier’s parents on Saturday, shortly after Sergeant Bergdahl was transferred to the American military; the Bergdahl family was in Washington after a visit here for Memorial Day, officials said.

“Sergeant Bergdahl’s recovery is a reminder of America’s unwavering commitment to leave no man or woman in uniform behind on the battlefield,” President Obama said in a statement.

Sergeant Bergdahl is believed to have been held by the militant Haqqani network in the tribal area of Pakistan’s northwest frontier, on the Afghan border. He was captured in Paktika Province in Afghanistan on June 30, 2009.

The circumstances of how he was separated from his unit and captured have remained a mystery.

The latest evidence indicating that Sergeant Bergdahl, who was promoted twice while held prisoner, was still alive came in January, when a video was obtained by the American military showing him alert but also apparently in declining health.

One Defense Department official said that once Sergeant Bergdahl was safely aboard the American military helicopter flown to the rendezvous, he wrote on a paper plate with a pen — because it was so loud — “S.F.?” seeking to find out if his rescuers were American Special Forces.

One soldier yelled back, “Yes, we’ve been looking for you for a long time,” at which point, the Pentagon official said, Sergeant Bergdahl broke down crying.

Thanks

Default Re: Taliban Prisoner Swap Frees U.S. Soldier Held Nearly 5 Years

Bergdahl Release Arrangement Could Threaten The Safety Of Americans, Republicans Say

May 31, 2014

Amid jubilation Saturday over the release of U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl from captivity by the Taliban, senior Republicans on Capitol Hill said they were troubled by the means by which it was accomplished, which was a deal to release five Afghan detainees from the military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Top Republicans on the Senate and House armed services committees went so far as to accuse President Obama of having broken the law, which requires the administration to notify Congress before any transfers from Guantanamo are carried out.

“Trading five senior Taliban leaders from detention in Guantanamo Bay for Bergdahl’s release may have consequences for the rest of our forces and all Americans. Our terrorist adversaries now have a strong incentive to capture Americans. That incentive will put our forces in Afghanistan and around the world at even greater risk,” House Armed Services Committee Chairman Howard P. McKeon (R-Calif.) and the ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, James M. Inhofe (Okla.), said in a joint statement.

Lawmakers were not notified of the Guantanamo detainees’ transfer until after it occurred.

The law requires the defense secretary to notify relevant congressional committees at least 30 days before making any transfers of prisoners, to explain the reason and to provide assurances that those released would not be in a position to reengage in activities that could threaten the United States or its interests.

Before the current law was enacted at the end of last year, the conditions were even more stringent. However, the administration and some Democrats had pressed for them to be loosened, in part to give them more flexibility to negotiate for Bergdahl’s release.

A senior administration official, agreeing to speak on the condition of anonymity to explain the timing of the congressional notification, acknowledged that the law was not followed. When he signed the law last year, Obama issued a signing statement contending that the notification requirement was an unconstitutional infringement on his powers as commander in chief and that he therefore could override it.

“Due to a near-term opportunity to save Sergeant Bergdahl’s life, we moved as quickly as possible,” the official said. “The administration determined that given these unique and exigent circumstances, such a transfer should go forward notwithstanding the notice requirement.”

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said that the detainees transferred from Guantanamo to Qatar, where they are to stay for at least a year, “are hardened terrorists who have the blood of Americans and countless Afghans on their hands. I am eager to learn what precise steps are being taken to ensure that these vicious and violent Taliban extremists never return to the fight against the United States and our partners or engage in any activities that can threaten the prospects for peace and security in Afghanistan.”

Beyond this individual instance, some raised the larger question of whether it is sound policy for the United States to have, in the words of House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers (R-Mich.), “negotiated with terrorists.”

Rogers said the action marked a “fundamental shift in U.S. policy.”

Thanks

They are making a big stink this morning about this on the news and how he "may have actually been awol" etc.

What a bunch of horseshit.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Actually, there's a pretty good chance it isn't.

Don't have all the details at my fingers at the moment but if you have time you may want to look into it.

Regardless of how he got there I'm just glad the Taliban don't have an American in their hands. If he did indeed desert/go AWOL he needs to face the music.

From what I've seen this guy sounds like he's a bit "off".

Thanks

Every time someone gets captured in a war, regardless of the way he "is" they are accused of being deserters. Happens all the time and has happened for centuries (regardless of the Army you're in).

REGARDLESS of his background, we should not automagically assume he was a deserter until they have a chance to debrief the guy and find out what was in his mind when he vanished, get the WHOLE story.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Agreed, however, everything I've seen of what he did before he was captured desertion was his intent.

There's also some rather fishy stuff with his father Tweeting about working to free all the prisoners in Gitmo and about how we are going to pay for the deaths of a bunch of Afghans, or something to that effect. Then there was the father speaking some Arabic or Pushtun during one of his public speeches after Bergdhal's release.

The whole thing is very odd...

Thanks

Well, there's a lot of nut jobs out there. lol

I saw the Dad on TV this morning. He was living in a make-shift lean too or something. What was up with that.

I agree with you, but we should be debriefing folks before we jump to conclusions.

MAYBE the Dad is working to "free the prisoners" to get his son home safely? Maybe he's doing what he thinks is right to save his son's life. If it were me, I'd Have been on a plane and went and hunted the fuckers down if they took MY kid. Might die in the process, but by God I'd try something.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I think the guy deserted.

I think he was an Afghan Taliban sympathizer. I think he contacted the Taliban and agreed that they could exchange him for Taliban in Guantanamo.

He gets out of his duty, he gets out of a court marshal, he gets a free trip back home and the Taliban get what they want.

That we would do a prisoner exchange is just exactly what's wrong with Obama. Once you start negotiating with these animals, they now have an incentive to do more of the behavior.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Mal you and Ryan are probably right. However....

1) America
    2) Innocent until proven guilty - period
    3) Debrief the guy first, before charging him or accusing him.
    4) Right to face accuser...

etcetcetc

Point being, I don't care if he DID desert, but he also voluntarily joined the service and was under contract with the government. He didn't keep his end of the bargain, but the government MUST keep it's end up.

Then if he is officially charged, found guilty, then and only then should they be doing anything about it.

On the flip side of that... the government has been spying on Americans, letting criminals and terrorists into the country unchecked, have been sympathizing with terrorists (letting them fly, but stopping granny because she wears diapers and MIGHT BE DANGEROUS) and so forth.

This country is fucked up and fucked up bad. But we need to hold the government's feet to the fire and MAKE them do the right thing.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Absolutely, he's an American first and foremost.

He can face the music for his desertion (or not) when he's back in our hands, which I am glad he is.

Now, how Obama went and got him back disgusts me. When we get our captured people back, enough bad guys need to die so they realize, "Hey, maybe capturing Americans isn't such a good idea after all.".

Thanks

Agreed. Trading bad guys for one good guy. Good guy or not....he's an American first. They didn't drone-kill him at least.
    Libertatem Prius!

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

That we would do a prisoner exchange is just exactly what's wrong with Obama. Once you start negotiating with these animals, they now have an incentive to do more of the behavior.
    Exactly. However, Obama, as a Muslim sympathizer, would probably take whatever opportunity available to him to free his comrades and gain praise and position with other high profile Muslims.

Thanks

Just heard Buck Sexton filling in for Rush on his show read from an email supposedly from Bergdahl to his parents before he was captured, that he was ashamed to be an American and disgusted with America.

Thanks

Well, I'm pretty disgusted with America and ashamed to be an American these days too Ryan...

Think about it... we've allowed the country to go to shit and mostly all we do is bitch about it. Granted we try to get the word out, we try to convince people of the "change" being BAD for America, and we try our best to change what we can locally... but what Obama has done to this country has ruined it. Worse than ANYONE has every ruined things.

This isn't just some lame brained idea from the Right. Hell, I heard Montel Williams going off on Obama over the VA. If that doesn't make you think, nothing will.

I hate the fact they have demonized people like us as "crazy" and the MEDIA backs them up, even though we're all thinking individuals who've come to our OWN opinions, not brainwashed by anyone. I HATE the fact our schools have taken over the education of American Children to the point of institutional indoctrination of those children. What's NOT to be ashamed of?

Our country has let the flood gates open for illegal immigrants and there is NO ONE GONNA CLOSE them.

Our President has forced this country into an Imperialistic Presidency and Congress will NOT act, no matter what we say.

Our military has been destroyed from within.

Our defense systems are being turned off, one right after the other.

Our electrical system is vulnerable to hackers, and to nutcases, and nothing is being done to prevent damage.

Our Navy is the smallest it's been since before WWII.

Our Air Force is being disbanded. They want to disband the Marines.

Gun rights are attacked, demonized as evil and us gun owners are treated like shit.

On and on and on.

I'm pretty damned disgusted too.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I completely understand what you're getting at but, disagree in a way. I'm not disgusted in America. I'm disgusted with the electorate that is too stupid and lazy to vote for what is right, not what is easy. I'm disgusted with the oligarchs that steal from the shrinking minority producers to bribe the growing majority of takers so those oligarchs can stay in power.

I'll never be disgusted with the ideal that America was founded on and stands for.

But that's not the vibe I got from the email excerpt I hinted at (was trying to drive and type so I couldn't really go into details). I want to post the whole email text here for proper context but I'm only finding bits and pieces of it, not the whole text. Supposedly Rolling Stone has them but I don't think even they published the whole emails. This is the piece the excerpts are published in. Looks like page 4 is the bulk of what they decided to publish. If you read it you get the impression he's mad because the US isn't touchy-feely enough with the poor of the world, not that he's mad the US is abandoning it's founding principles and voting itself into slavery.

If you read the Rolling Stone piece, you get the impression of a guy that should never have been accepted into the military. He was just mentally "off", maybe somewhere on the autistic or Asperger's spectrum or something. I don't know, I'm not a professional. Then again, when he signed up, the military was overlooking a lot of things to bring in warm bodies. Not like now where they're being exceedingly picky in who they're letting in.

If he wanted to do what it sounds like he claimed he wanted to do, he should have joined the Peace Corps, not the US Army.

It is just a very weird situation all over.

Thanks

Admittedly, I didn't know a ton about the Bergdhal ordeal so I've been doing some reading.

I'm not so sure this looks like someone "captured".

Captured US Soldier Has Joined Our Cause, Say Taliban

Private Bowe Bergdahl disappeared from an American military base in southeastern Afghanistan in June 2009

August 22, 2010

A Taliban commander in Paktika said the 24-year-old Bergdahl had converted to Islam

The only known American soldier in Taliban captivity is training fighters in bombmaking and ambush, according to one of his captors and the Afghan intelligence agents working to free him.

Private Bowe Bergdahl disappeared from an American military base in southeastern Afghanistan in June 2009. Last week The Sunday Times interviewed one of his captors, shedding light on a case that has baffled US military officials.

A Taliban deputy district commander in Paktika province said the 24-year-old American had converted to Islam in the months after his capture. He said Bergdahl, from Idaho’s Sun Valley, had trained Taliban fighters in bomb-making and ambushing convoys.

“When I saw him for the second time, he had totally changed. He had a beard and he treated all of us very respectfully. He seemed very relaxed in our company. He was no longer scared,” said the commander, who called himself Haji Nadeem.

Bergdahl, who...

The rest of the article requires a subscription.

Thanks

Bowe Bergdahl, U.S. Soldier Held By Taliban, Was "Ashamed To Be American," Emails Show

June 8, 2012

Emails an American soldier reportedly sent to his parents before he was captured by the Taliban three years ago suggest he was disillusioned and considering deserting.

Bowe Bergdahl told his parents he was "ashamed to even be American" and was disgusted with the U.S. mission in Afghanistan and with the Army, according to emails quoted in Rolling Stone magazine.

Bergdahl, a 26-year-old Army sergeant from Hailey, Idaho, was taken prisoner on June 30, 2009, in Afghanistan.

The military has never detailed circumstances of his disappearance or capture, and he is not classified as a deserter. He was initially listed as "duty status unknown" and is now considered "missing-captured." He is the only U.S. prisoner of war from the Afghanistan conflict, and U.S. officials say they are actively trying to free him.

The White House declined comment on the emails or Bergdahl's possible motivation for leaving his base in eastern Afghanistan in 2009.

Bergdahl is the subject of a proposed prisoner swap in which he would be traded for five Taliban adherents imprisoned by the United States at the military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The Taliban have walked away from the deal and larger negotiations with the United States, but the Obama administration is still pushing a negotiated settlement between the Taliban and the U.S.-backed government in Afghanistan.

(So this deal has been in the works for at least 2 years!)

The Rolling Stone article, to be published Friday, also quotes other soldiers and associates of Bergdahl's as saying that he had talked about walking to Pakistan if his deployment was "lame" and that shortly before his disappearance he had asked whether he should take his weapon if he left the base. Friends and other soldiers describe a survivalist mentality, and Bergdahl's father, Bob, told the magazine that his son was "living in a novel."

"The future is too good to waste on lies," one email reads. "And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong."

The emails were provided to the magazine by Bergdahl's family in Idaho, which has gone public with its own discontent with U.S. efforts to free their son. There is no way to authenticate the emails.

Some of Bergdahl's reported words read like a suicide note.

"I am sorry for everything," he wrote. "The horror that is America is disgusting."

He mailed home boxes containing his uniform and books.

Thanks

From the group "Operator As Fuck" (i.e. guys who have been there, done that)...

https://www.facebook.com/Operatorasphuk?fref=nf

"Forwarded from Jeff Howard.

"We were at OP Mest, Paktika Province, Afghanistan. It was a small outpost where B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) ran operations out of, just an Infantry platoon and ANA counterparts there. The place was an Afghan graveyard. Bergdahl had been acting a little strange, telling people he wanted to "walk the earth" and kept a little journal talking about how he was meant for better things. No one thought anything about it. He was a little “out there”.

Next morning he's gone. We search everywhere, and can't find him. He left his weapon, his kit, and other sensitive items. He only took some water, a compass and a knife. We find some afghan kids shortly after who saw an american walking north asking about where the taliban are. We get hits on our voice intercepter that Taliban has him, and we were close.

We come to realize the kid deserted his post, snuck out of camp and sought out Taliban… to join them. We were in a defensive position at OP Mest, where your focus is to keep people out. He knew where the blind spots were to slip out and that's what he did. It was supposed to be a 4-day mission but turned into several months of active searching.

Everyone was spun up to find this guy. News outlets all over the country were putting out false information. It was hard to see, especially when we knew the truth about what happened and we lost good men trying to find him.

PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn Andrews, were all KIA from our unit who died looking for Bergdahl.

Many others from various units were wounded or killed while actively looking for Bergdahl. Fighting Increased. IEDs and enemy ambushes increased. The Taliban knew that we were looking for him in high numbers and our movements were predictable. Because of Bergdahl, more men were out in danger, and more attacks on friendly camps and positions were conducted while we were out looking for him. His actions impacted the region more than anyone wants to admit.

There is also no way to know what he told the Taliban: Our movements, locations, tactics, weak points on vehicles and other things for the enemy to exploit are just a few possibilities. The Government knows full well that he deserted. It looks bad and is a good propaganda piece for the Taliban.

They refuse to acknowledge it. Hell they even promoted him to Sergeant which makes me sick. I feel for his family who only want their son/brother back. They don’t know the truth, or refuse to acknowledge it as well. What he did affected his family and his whole town back home, who don’t know the truth.

Either way what matters is that good men died because of him. He has been lying on all those Taliban videos about everything since his “capture”. If he ever returns, he should be tried under the UCMJ for being a deserter and judged for what he did. Bergdahl is not a hero, he is not a soldier or an Infantryman.

He failed his brothers. Now, sons and daughters are growing up without their fathers who died for him and he will have to face that truth someday."

Also from the same group...

OAF Exclusive: The Truth About Bowe Bergdahl

On June 30, 2009, Bowe Bergdahl went missing in Afghanistan. My unit within the US Special Operations Command along with a select few SOF units, were alerted to conduct a hostage rescue/recovery mission in Afghanistan. The A.O. (area of operation) had stood down upon receiving the intel of Bergdahl’s disappearance. My element composed of 35 men, was alerted and sent to our briefing room to conduct our necessary planning in order to try and retrieve Bergdahl.

The intel that we were given at the time consisted of the following:

- Bergdahl D.O.B: March 28, 1986

- Assigned to 1st Battalion, 501st Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division, based at Fort Richardson, Alaska.

- Bergdahl's unit was sent to an outpost called Mest-Malak in Afghanistan to conduct counterinsurgency operations.

- We had all been given copies of his military issued ID card along with his PASS or FAIL security questions.

- His unit had been on a patrol where he had fallen behind during an enemy ambush and captured. (This has been proven FALSE through written and sworn statements from members in his unit, one of them being a man initialed N.B and my unit commander talking directly to Bergdahl’s GFC. There were no patrols on the night that Bergdahl went missing and Bergdahl had stated multiple times his desire and ambition to leave.)

With the intel that we had received that night, we kitted up and loaded two Chinook helicopters. With the support of multiple air assets, we flew to the last known location where he had been taken captive during the “ambush”.

As the HELO’s landed and we offloaded into the town, everyone noticed something oddly wrong. Absolute silence. There were no signs of enemy personnel, the expected AK-47 and M-4 shell casings were nonexistent, etc. I cannot at this time disclose the events which followed pertaining to this operation.

Although his unit had been placed on a gag order and told not talk about the incident, after several weeks of failed attempts to rescue Bergdahl and the loss of at least 6 known personnel, the entire story began to unravel.

According to Afghan villagers and elders close to the outpost, Bergdahl had asked where he could find the Taliban. A few children in the area also stated that they saw an American acting funny and wanting water while another local Afghan child had seen Bergdahl walk off the post. According to a few close friends of his and some letters he wrote home, he just wanted to find himself. Bergdahl left behind his weapon and other sensitive items, shipped his personal belongings home to Idaho, only taking some water and his knife.

Bergdhal had simply become disenchanted with Army life and wanted to seek out the Taliban on his own free will. He stated this in his letters home to his family as well as others in his squad and unit.

As more of the information came in, my unit, along with others in the community, simply stopped looking for him. As for the videos of Bergdahl in military and Afghan attire, we were privy to analyze and dissect all of the “unedited” video. We realized that he had vowed to help the Afghan people (meaning Taliban), and teach them tactics he had learned through his training. As for what he may have taught them, we are not sure, but we can say that American casualties and the amount of attacks in the area did increase following his capture.

After seeing what his father, now turned Muslim, had to say about his son in Afghanistan, I am truly appalled. During his opening speech given at the White House, his father praised him for “helping” the Afghan people and pushing for the release of all those detained in Guantanamo Bay. In the same speech, Mr. Bergdahl’s father went on to praise Allah saying, “bism allah alrahman alraheem” which means “in the name of Allah the most gracious and most merciful”.

Here is what I know, not from hearsay, but because I was there. Bergdahl became a sympathizer, walked off his post to seek out the Taliban in order to join their ranks, to help and live with them. In exchange for his release, the United States released the following 5 known Taliban; Khairullah Khairkhwa, Mullah Norullah Noori, Mullah Norullah Noori, Abdul Haq Wasiq, Mohammed Nabi who were immediately welcomed back into the Taliban network. The Taliban are currently seeking the release of additional prisoners, but will not state specifics. Now that they have the blue print on how to accomplish this by simply capturing an American soldier and with the troop number drawing down to 9,800+, I can only hope our service men and women keep their heads on a swivel.

Thanks

I'm sure most of you have seen this one...

I'm betting not this one hasn't been seen nearly as much...

Thanks

American Soldier Who Served With Freed POW Casts Doubt on Official Story; Fears Reprisal From Obama Administration

June 1, 2014

Early Saturday it was announced by the administration that the only American prisoner of war in Afghanistan was released in exchange for 5 Guantanamo Bay terrorists being set free to Qatar. [Explicit language below.]

The circumstances of the capture of Bowe Bergdahl had been in question long before his release – supposedly he had wandered off and captured by the Taliban.

But a soldier on Twitter is claiming that the official story is untrue, and has posted his version of the events that led to Bowe’s capture as I originally posted on my blog.

Towards the end of his story, he says he fears reprisal from the Obama administration, and asks for legal help. It must be noted also that he has a avatar that bears a picture of Bowe with the word “traitor” posted over it.

After stating that “F[***] what you I heard. I was there.,” here are the tweets telling his version of the story so far:

At this point, Cody retweeted what he thought was a salient point:

Cody seems to come under attack from people threatening to make him suffer for simply putting out his view of what happened. We do not have independent corroboration of his serving with Bergdahl, but many others have questioned the official story before Cody.

It should also be alarming to Americans that Bergdah’s dad seems to have deleted a tweet in sympathy with the Taliban. So what’s the real story here?

Thread Information