Thread: The Purge: 2014

Thanks

Default The Purge: 2014

Well, first it was a movie, now it's a rumor--a rumor that might start something in America. But, like all those weird, urban legends that take on a life of their own like Slender Man, this one is getting out of hand on social media. I've been contacted by my children and this was mentioned by at least one grandchild in the last weekend.

People are apparently taking this as a serious threat, while the police are laughing it up.

Social media 'Purge' campaigns spark fear of bloody copycats

"In five seconds, you will experience anarchy."

So begins the theatrical trailer for The Purge: Anarchy. The horror movie, released July 18, creates a world in which the government lifts every law for a 12-hour period, making all crimes — including murder — legal and suspending all emergency services.

After a social media scare in Louisville that started with a "fun" post from a high school student, officials in Colorado, Tennessee and other states are reassuring concerned citizens that there will be no real-life "purge."

"Someone posted that there would be a day of a purge where crimes would be allowed and you wouldn't be charged," Darrell DeBusk, the Knoxville (Tenn.) Police Department spokesperson told WBIR. "That certainly was not true."

"Someone is trying to say that Knoxville will have a purge day on Aug. 23 and I can assure the public that we are not having a purge day and if you commit a crime, you will be charged," he said.

COURIER-JOURNAL
    'Louisville Purge' takes toll

In Colorado, an image is making the rounds on Twitter and Facebook depicting a masked man with a list of Colorado cities where the "purge" is to occur, including the date of Sept. 6 from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., reports KUSA.

"I'm not sure if a threat is the exact word we should be using here. It's some talk on the Internet and it is stirring things up," Steve Davis with the Lakewood (Colo.) Police Department told KUSA. Lakewood is one of five cities listed.

Aurora police debunked the social media scare as a hoax, however, they are looking into whether the posting itself is a crime.

Social media users have voiced concern over whether a fan of the film may act out violently in an attempt to mimic the movies that have made millions of dollars.

As of Aug. 17, The Purge: Anarchy has raked in $70 million domestically and $101 million worldwide, according to Box Office Mojo.

Follow @lindsdee on Twitter.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: The Purge: 2014

Snopes calls this false... but I saw the Facebook posts personally. So they did happen. Whether they are calling the threat false, or the fact it happened false is unclear to me at this point.

Purge

Claim: Gangs are planning a multi-city murder spree in imitation of the film Purge 2.

FALSE

Examples: [Collected via e-mail, August 2014]

Please see link below regarding rumors of a "Purge Night" in Louisville, KY.

Please help! My mom is really worried about this!! Thanks

Is the Detroit purge rumor really true? Supposedly teens in that area are reenacting the purge movies and going on a killing spree.

There is a rumor going around Facebook and my city (Jacksonville, Florida) that residents of Florida, most particularly Jacksonville, will be participating in a "purge" (yes, like the stupid movie) on August 31, 2014.

The Sheriff's Office claims that they have heard nothing official but will be keeping their "ears and eyes out" for such activity. Is this a real thing that will occur? Knowing ASAP so we can get the heck out of here would be so helpful. Does anyone really believe in this stuff, will there be participants?

Origins: Rumors of a mass crime spree referred to as a "real life" imitation of the film The Purge were heavily circulated on social media sites like Twitter and Facebook in mid-August 2014.

Real life The Purge imitations
    were rumored for 15 August through 16 August in Louisville, Kentucky. The tale rapidly spread to encompass other cities, including Jacksonville, Florida; Detroit, Michigan; and Cleveland, Ohio; with at least one mentioned for later in August.

The scare was a topic of conversation and intrigue across the local social web, and it appears many residents were genuinely fearful such an event could come to pass. Making matters worse, the rumor filtered into the blogosphere, along with suggestions that the "threat" was credible.

ATTENTION ATTENTION: The real life "Purge" is happening now in Louisville, Kentucky. Stay indoors! Please be safe.
    — (@DakotaWizzy) August 15, 2014

School events in and around Louisville were canceled due to the rumor, and police addressed growing concern among residents. Louisville Metro Police Department Sgt. Phil Russell said of the fears:

A number of people have reached out to us. We're going to take any threat that we receive seriously, particularly one that encourages and incites violence against our community ... We're going to take that seriously and investigate that as thoroughly as we can. As a department, I believe that we're adequately prepared for anything that could arise."

Student reporters in Louisville claimed to have identified a student who accidentally started what they've called the "Purge hoax," though the teen's name was not supplied:

EXCLUSIVE: RedEye talks to the student responsible for "Purge" hoax http://t.co/Qv8HGEm6rw

— Crimson StudentPress (@theCSPN) August 16, 2014

The Crimson Student Press quoted the unnamed teen as saying that he tweeted the image as a joke after watching the film, and did not intend to kick off any panic:

I was sitting in my house and watching 'The Purge,' and I thought of the tweet and picture that started it. But didn't think it'd get that big from there. I didn't mean any harm by this at all. I love my city[.]"

Police later confirmed a juvenile's link to online "Purge" fears, noting that he had not been charged but they were continuing to investigate.

While police took Purge rumors seriously in Louisville, local media and sources within the Louisville Metro Police Department agree that weekend criminal activity was quite average:

Complete hoax. I am a police officer here and can 100% confirm nothing occurred during the "purge" Fri night in Louisville, KY or neighboring cities that was outside the norm. There were many false reports and unfounded complaints all night, however

Last updated: 17 August 2014

Urban Legends Reference Pages © 1995-2014 by snopes.com.
    This material may not be reproduced without permission.
    snopes and the snopes.com logo are registered service marks of snopes.com.

Sources:
    Evans, Tamara. "Louisville's Purge: A Night of Violence That Never Happened."
    WDRB News. 16 August 2014.
    Teague, William. "LMPD Says No Higher Crimes In Light of 'Purge' Threat."
    WHAS11.com. 16 August 2014.
    Thomas, Matthew. "Police: Louisville Teen Behind Online 'Purge' Flier."
    WLKY Louisville. 16 August 2014.

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings...JJ0Yo0YHCEo.99
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Sheriff responds to 'The Purge' social media threats

Locals react to a social media threat of 'The 'Purge' coming August 31

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- First Coast News received multiple messages in social media Wednesday from concerned viewers asking about an ominous photo floating around social media sites.

The graphic image titled 'The Purge' reads "Get Your Squad Ready" and gives a date of midnight on August 31. An image of a creepy smiling man along with smaller images of a knife and a gun are also seen in the graphic.

The post has also popped up in cities like Louisville and Detroit. Threats of a "Louisville Purge" even caused the postponement of at least one high school football scrimmage Friday night.

In Louisville, police traced the threat back to a teen who said, "It was originally supposed to be just a fun thing, I never thought it'd get as serious as it did."

The image is of a character from The Purge, a 2013 American action horror thriller film where people have a 12-hour period when all crimes become legal. The Purge was also the theme for last year's Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios.

One FCN Facebook member shared the photo with us and wrote, "There are a lot of concerned parents about the attachment I am sending. There are groups of gangs sharing this on the internet."

"Don't want my name out there but this [photo] is all over Facebook and people are actually thinking it's real. You have any idea what this is about," another FCN Facebook user wrote in a message.

Jacksonville Sheriff John Rutherford caught wind of the concerns and put out a statement Wednesday evening. Rutherford said there is "no credible information to indicate that this is a legitimate threat to the city of Jacksonville."

His full statement reads:

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office takes all threats (or perceived threats) including those posted on social media, seriously. We are aware of The Purge posting (based on the fiction contained in a movie) and are looking into this. Obviously, we will not discuss tactics, but as with any perceived threat, we appreciate the assistance of the public in passing that along to us.

Commenting on our Facebook page (Jacksonville Sheriff's Office) or tweeting @JSOPIO with these items many not illicit a response publicly, but rest assured we are reading your posts. For information about contacting JSO via email, please visit us at www.jaxsheriff.org.

When appropriate, we will make a public response. At this time we have no credible information to indicate that this is a legitimate threat to the city of Jacksonville.

I would caution the media to exercise responsible journalism in reporting this activity. Many of the "shares" and "reposts" are merely people expressing their concern and not necessarily a sign of engagement or endorsement of the message. There is a difference!

Thank you,

John H. Rutherford, Sheriff
    Duval County, FL
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

The Colorado Purge: Internet hoax worries fans of horror movie

Posted 1:32 pm, August 18, 2014, by Matt Farley, Updated at 03:14pm, August 18, 2014

DENVER — Relax. The Purge is not coming to a city near you.

In the past week, images circulating on social media warned that a real-life version of the mediocre but popular horror series was set to take place in multiple cities this month, including some in Colorado.

@KDVR saw this on Facebook. Would like to know what is being done to protect us? So messed up http://t.co/06aJiMvKzH
    Arianne Little (@Ariilittle) August 17, 2014

But the images are all part of a series of sloppy internet hoaxes, likely inspired by a Kentucky high school student who has since apologized for the campaign.
    “I didn’t think it would really get that serious,” the student, unnamed because he is a minor, told WAVE-TV. “It was wrong for me to do that.”

YO IF YOU THINK THIS IS GONNA BE BAD JUST IMAGINE CHICAGO HAVING A PURGE �������� http://t.co/8uRC4cH0Bn
    ♛ rita ♛ (@anewmaserati) August 15, 2014

In “The Purge” films, America is ruled by a totalitarian government that rolls back all laws for one night each year. The streets are overrun by masked gangs who murder, rape and rob while families barricade themselves indoors.

The key to the fictional Purge is that the government suspends all police and emergency services for the duration of the macabre holiday. But in the real world, where chaotic public assemblies are met with paramilitary force and police show no signs of taking a day off, it’s hard to imagine that would-be Purgers would get very far.

Purge threats in Kentucky, Ohio, Florida, Michigan and Illinois were all found to be unsubstantiated.

Still, some Coloradans were concerned to see the masked villains from the films popping up in their social media feeds, with some contacting us about it.

PRAYING THAT THE PURGE WONT COME TO COLORADO—
    . (@yvngbieberveli) August 16, 2014

Soo has anybody heard bout this Colorado Purge? September 6??—
    MARIJUANA Jamar (@YsoTatted_) August 17, 2014

First I see a Texas purge now a Colorado purge. Real or not I'm staying home. People are too crazy✋��—
    M i c h e l a d a.✌️ (@BabyBooMichelle) August 18, 2014

A lieutenant with Colorado Springs Police Department told KRDO he was aware of the photo. He said he wasn’t worried about it, but he did alert his officers.

The general law enforcement stance around the country seems to be that they take all potential threats seriously, but there is no reason to expect a Purge anytime soon.

Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Obviously this is a load of bullshit meant to be silly originally, and now being passed through young people on Social Media in an attempt to either incite or scare others. I personally will be armed, because you know sometimes prudence is simply smart.

Kids - young people, are apt to do all sorts of stupid assed things these days. Nothing in my world says "Nothing is going to happen" because that's really not the way it works these days.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

‘The Purge’ Threat: Could This Be the Beginning of Martial Law?

Added by Amy Nelson on August 15, 2014.
    Saved under Amy Nelson, Crime, Opinion, U.S.
    Tags: the purge

According to officials in Louisville, Kentucky, threats have been made on Facebook of a true-to-life “purge” that is said to take place this weekend beginning at 8:30 in the evening Friday and ending at 6:30 in the morning on Saturday. An altered image from the The Purge film’s promotional poster began circulating on the social site this week with the word “Louisville” along with the above time and date. Police officers have taken the threat very seriously, regardless of whether or not it is a prank. Officials and residents in Louisville are truly hoping that the threats end up being a hoax presented by a few kids who were inspired by the movie and wanting to have a bit of fun. But if the purge threat comes true and does actually happen this weekend, could this be the beginning of martial law?

The film The Purge takes place in the near future where all crimes are considered legal for a period of 12 hours. People can commit rape, assault, murder, robberies, arson and any other crime without being prosecuted during that time. The Purge was released in 2013 and starred Ethan Hawke, Lena Headey and Max Burkholder. The Purge: Anarchy, the film’s sequel, was released on July 18 of this year and starred Frank Grillo, Carmen Ejogo and Zach Gilford. In both movies, martial law is enforced and victims are required to defend themselves against the potential threats of severe violence.

Although it is unclear whether the threats in Louisville, Kentucky are genuine, WKLY Radio reported that some residents have already armed themselves just in case. If the purge threat turns out to be authentic and does, in fact, take place this evening, many people might have to defend themselves if the police are unable to respond to every call. Could this be the beginning of martial law? Police officials and the FBI plan to act accordingly just in case the purge does actually happen.

The potential areas for the Louisville violence to occur include a Katy Perry concert, Kentucky’s State Fair, and events related to high school sports. It has also been documented that there are people determined to enforce the purge in Detroit, Michigan, where the Pop groups One Direction and 5 Seconds of Summer are scheduled to perform. In addition, other cities have received similar threats, including Jacksonville, Florida and Jefferson, Indiana.

Both bands have urged their fans to “stay inside for your own safety” after their concert and to avoid hanging out around the venue or at their hotels. A One Direction follower commented on Twitter stating the alleged purge is planned to happen in Detroit during the time that the band is going be there. “I’m freaking out.”

Again, law enforcement representatives are optimistic that the online threats will end up being a practical joke from teenagers inspired by the movie and that no crime will transpire. Because no one is sure whether or not the danger is valid, everyone is Louisville, Detroit, Jacksonville and Jefferson are encouraged to stay indoors to avoid any possible risks. If a purge does, in fact, come about after the threats and police officers become overwhelmed by the violent acts that are occurring, it could possibly be the beginning of martial law in those cities.

Opinion By Amy Nelson

Read more at http://guardianlv.com/2014/08/the-pu...AowTrveCRjz.99
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

'Purge' rumor creating stir on social media

LAKEWOOD- A Hollywood horror movie based on the idea of 12 hours without laws has led to an online threat of a real life "Purge" in Colorado.

The movie "The Purge" and the sequel "The Purge: Anarchy" are based on the idea of the government lifting every law for a 12 hour period, leading to chaos and murder in the streets.The image making the rounds on Twitter and Facebook shows a masked man with a list of Colorado cities in which this "purge" is supposed to happen. It also includes a date of September 6th from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.

Law enforcement agencies do not know who created the Colorado "Purge" image.

"I'm not sure if a threat is the exact word we should be using here. It's some talk on the internet and it is stirring things up," said Steve Davis with the Lakewood Police Department. Lakewood is one of five cities listed.

Lakewood Police Department, Denver Police and Aurora Police say they do not see any immediate threat.

Aurora Police went as far as debunking the social media scare as a hoax. However, Aurora Police are looking into whether or not the posting itself is a crime.

People on social media seem to recognize that all laws being lifted for any period of time is not possible in this country. Concern on the 'Twitterverse' is over someone who may act out violently in an attempt to mimic the movies that have raked in millions of dollars."When we do see something like that, I think that is a flag to us and we do put our antennas up a little bit higher," Davis said.

The concern has swept the nation with warnings from California to Kentucky. Last Friday a high school football scrimmage in Louisville was cancelled as police there stepped up their presence in preparation for a night of anarchy.
    Libertatem Prius!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

With the riot in Ferguson and unruly crowds in a number of other cities, this rumor has a distinct possibility of being "co-opted" and turning into reality.

Super Moderator and PHILanthropist Extraordinaire Phil Fiord's Avatar
    Thanks

It seems snopes correctly labelled this as a false. The claim being gangs organized this as an event to take place. No. It was a parallel someone drew for what they saw in a lawless zone. It spread through social media and has gone viral with hype and carried farther still by standard media. While possible anyone could co-opt this as an excuse to cause mayhem, it is unlikely.

Thanks

I think Phil, you're right. But Ryan is right too. What Ryan said is what *I* am worried about, someone co-opting the idea and agitating others into some action.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information