I heard about the California shakes the other day and was talking to someone at work and said "Bet there's a big one someplace along the Ring of Fire". Just an off handed comment, nothing more, then it happened. That same person asked me this morning how I knew there was going to be another quake. I didn't know what he was talking about until I read the news. I told him I didn't know for sure, I was guessing and I had no clue where it would hit other than the Ring of Fire which is a HUGE area.

I THOUGHT so because of the way the plate moves.

Of course, I couldn't tell you where, could have been Alaska, Japan or New Zealand someplace, but I thought it was going to happen and it did.

I almost never predict anything right unless I know something about the science behind it. I'm a better scientist than I am a politician (or political scientist). I never get things right in relation to other countries, but I generally come close when it comes to Earth sciences, electronics and things I'm pretty well versed in.

When the Japanese quake hit in 2011 (it was around the beginning of March) I recall there being other quakes around the edge of the Ring of Fire within a month prior. Chile, New Zealand and then Japan.

After Japan, New Zealand got hit again, April time frame. I don't recall the details but all the quakes were rather large and all of them were on the edge of the Ring of Fire.

So, I'm thinking less coincidence than there is some kind of correlation.