Thread: Roethlisberger Undergoes 7 Hours Of Surgery

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Roethlisberger Undergoes 7 Hours Of Surgery

This really sucks. This season I had wanted to see the Bengals and Steelers duke it out with both teams at full strength. I do hope Big Ben makes a quick recovery!

Roethlisberger Undergoes 7 Hours Of Surgery
    PITTSBURGH (AP) - Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger broke his jaw and nose in a motorcycle crash, but doctors said they had successfully treated his multiple facial fractures after seven hours of surgery.

Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship, was in serious but stable condition late Monday night at Pittsburgh's Mercy Hospital.

It was not immediately known whether the accident would affect Roethlisberger's chances of playing this season. The 24-year-old wasn't wearing a helmet at the time of the Monday morning accident, Pittsburgh police said.

Dr. Harry W. Sell, chairman of the hospital's surgery department, told reporters that four doctors operated on Roethlisberger for multiple facial fractures and that "all of the fractures were successfully repaired."

Doctors are unaware of any other serious injuries, but said Roethlisberger remained in serious but stable condition, according to Dr. Daniel Pituch, who led the team of doctors caring for the star player.

"His brain, spine, chest and abdomen appear to be without serious injury and there are no other confirmed injuries at this time," he said.

Roethlisberger's condition was not expected to change through the night, and no updates were expected until Tuesday afternoon. Doctors declined to release further information, at his family's request.

The hospital's chief of trauma, Dr. Larry Jones, said earlier that Roethlisberger "was talking to me before he left for the operating room."

"He's coherent," Jones said. "He's making sense. He knows what happened. He knows where he is. From that standpoint, he's very stable."

Steelers coach Bill Cowher arrived Monday night at the hospital, where several of Roethlisberger's teammates, including defensive end Brett Keisel, had also gathered.

Team president Art Rooney II said the team was "encouraged by the early reports from the medical team" at the hospital.

"I am sure Ben knows that we are praying for his complete recovery," he said.

Roethlisberger has said he likes to ride without a helmet, a habit that once prompted a lecture from Cowher.

Roethlisberger was on his black 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa traveling east on 2nd Avenue toward an intersection at the edge of downtown at about 11:10 a.m., police said. A silver Chrysler New Yorker traveling in the opposite direction took a left hand turn and collided with the motorcycle, and Roethlisberger was thrown from the bike, police said.

The other car was driven by a woman identified in published reports Tuesday as Martha Fleishman, 62, of Pittsburgh. The car was registered in Maine, where she has a summer home, police said. No charges were filed.

"She really feels terrible about the whole thing, and we certainly wish him a speedy recovery," said her husband, Martin Fleishman.

He declined to comment on his wife's condition, except to say, "She's doing as best as she can."

Sandra Ford, of Pittsburgh, was waiting at a bus stop nearby when she said she saw the motorcycle approach the intersection. Seconds later, she said she heard a crash, saw the cyclist in the air and ran toward the crash scene.

"He wasn't moving and I was afraid that he had died ... He wasn't really speaking. He seemed dazed, but he was resisting the effort to make him stay down," said Ford, who didn't realize the motorcyclist was Roethlisberger until she went home later and turned on the TV.

In only his second year in the NFL, Roethlisberger helped guide the Steelers to the Super Bowl title in February at age 23. Training camp for next season begins at the end of July.

Several teammates, including backup quarterback Charlie Batch, linebacker Joey Porter and safety Mike Logan, arrived at the hospital emergency room but did not comment. Roethlisberger's stepmother was crying as she arrived at the hospital Monday afternoon.

Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's state law requiring helmets to be worn was repealed in September 2003.

In May 2005, Cowher warned him about safe riding after Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was injured in a motorcycle accident. Winslow tore knee ligaments and was lost for the season.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

According to the Suzuki Web site, the Hayabusa is the fastest production bike made.

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident, and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."
    Not reported in this piece but reported in local media is that Ben, among the facial injuries, damaged a number of his teeth and it is now being reported that he didn't have a valid motorcycle license.

Thanks

Default Re: Roethlisberger Undergoes 7 Hours Of Surgery

Doesn't make much sense to wear a helmet when playing football then not wear one when riding something as dangerous as a motorcycle. I know it's legal in PA but with all the heavy traffic they have in Pittsburg he was an accident waiting to happen. I too hope he recovers quickly and is able to play again, great Quarterback.

Jag

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jag
    Doesn't make much sense to wear a helmet when playing football then not wear one when riding something as dangerous as a motorcycle. I know it's legal in PA but with all the heavy traffic they have in Pittsburg he was an accident waiting to happen. I too hope he recovers quickly and is able to play again, great Quarterback.

Jag
    I seem to recall hearing that someone interviewing him made the same point to him once after it was discussed that he liked to ride and, he simply said that the law doesn't require it.

Personally, at the minimum, if I had a bike I would want to be wearing an open face helmet. Especially if it were something as fast as a Hayabusa!

Thanks

When you're young you'll make mistakes. A hard lesson but he'll realise that motorcycles aren't toys. I rode for many years and always wore a helmet. At high speed when you hit the pavement it's likely all they'll find so it doesn't really matter. But at slower yet still dangerous speeds, a helmet will save the mellon.
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Roethlisberger may be discharged in a day
    By ALAN ROBINSON
    AP SPORTS WRITER

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger's broken jaw did not have to be wired shut, a factor that could hasten his recovery from his scary motorcycle accident, and the Steelers quarterback got out of his hospital bed Wednesday to talk with teammates and family members.
    Roethlisberger's doctors said a second round of tests again showed no brain injuries, although he has a concussion. Initial CT scans taken shortly after Roethlisberger's motorcycle collided with a car at a busy Pittsburgh intersection Monday morning also showed no apparent problems.
    "The results of this second and final scan confirm our previous findings that Mr. Roethlisberger has suffered no brain injury," said Dr. Larry Jones, the chief of Mercy Hospital's trauma unit.
    Because Roethlisberger's multiple facial fractures, broken nose and broken upper and lower jaw are being held in place by screws and 2-inch titanium plates, he can eat soft foods - and not be restricted to liquids - during an estimated six to eight week recovery period.
    "We take a titanium plate, bend it and adapt it to the contours of the facial bones and then secure it in place with screws," surgeon Daniel Pituch said. "This kind of state-of-the-art technology allowed us to successfully treat Mr. Roethlisberger's facial fractures."
    As a result, the 240-pound Roethlisberger probably won't lose as much weight as he would have on an all-liquid diet. The Steelers have not given a timetable for his return, but they are optimistic he will be ready for their Sept. 7 opener against Miami.
    One of the team's concerns was how long Roethlisberger would need to regain his weight and strength after being unable to work out for what might be an extended period.
    Roethlisberger got out of his bed to greet visitors, less than 48 hours after being admitted to a hospital located only a few blocks from the crash site. Based on the hospital's projection that the 24-year-old Roethlisberger could be sent home within three to five days, he could be discharged as early as Thursday.

Players who visited with Roethlisberger said he is upbeat, and they are convinced he will be back quickly and with no diminished skills. Counting the playoffs, the Steelers have a 27-4 record with Roethlisberger at quarterback and have advanced to two AFC championship games and won a Super Bowl during his two seasons as a starter.
    But while Roethlisberger won't have to be on a soup-only diet, he missed out on a $2 million Campbell's Chunky Soup commercial that began filming Wednesday at Heinz Field with other Steelers players. Roethlisberger and his stepmother, Brenda, were to have been the stars of the commercial.
    The repercussions of Roethlisberger's accident already are rippling across the NFL, with players and agents predicting all teams will begin insert clauses restricting motorcycle riding and other such activities into all player contracts.
    Roethlisberger's 2004 contract did not contain a clause - almost certainly because the Steelers weren't aware that he liked to ride motorcycles. The quarterback's agent, Leigh Steinberg, received a letter from the Steelers last year warning that his cycle riding could violate the universal contract clause prohibiting dangerous activities outside of football.
    However, it seems unlikely the team would try to enforce the contract by attempting to recover money from Roethlisberger, even if he were sidelined for a lengthy period. He is seen by the Steelers as the key to their franchise for years to come, and such an action could make it less likely Roethlisberger would re-sign with the Steelers once his contract expires after the 2009 season.
    "Everyone, the whole league, was shocked over Roethlisberger's accident," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said Wednesday. "I think we all see how that circumstance came about, how dangerous that is. ... We have a rule that players are not to ride a motorcycle during the season. But in the offseason, it is very difficult to control all those things."
    Giants defensive lineman Michael Strahan wondered if NFL players should wait until their careers are over before taking up activities such as motorcycle riding.
    "Here is a guy who is just basically getting started in his career and his career has been phenomenal so far. To see something like that happen - something that can be avoided - it's unfortunate," Strahan said. "I think you sit and learn that you can do a lot of those things when you are done playing."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/footba..._Accident.html

Thread Information