Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NFL 2015-2016 Season

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: NFL 2015-2016 Season

We could end up with an entirely new senior coaching staff. My brother told me teams are courting the Bengals offensive and defensive coordinators as head coaches. Don't recall whom was looking at who at the moment.

A clean house could either be a really great thing for next season as you point out, or it could lead to a lot of uncertainty.

Time will tell.

Thanks

Why am I not surprised. I sure wish I could find a job where I could get paid to not have to deliver on what I was hired to do with such great job security.

Bengals Not Planning To Fire Lewis, Sources Say

January 10, 2016

The issue of Marvin Lewis' future in Cincinnati really isn't much of an issue, as the Bengals have no plans to make a head coaching change at this time, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

With the Bengals' wild 18-16 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers on Saturday, Lewis became the first NFL coach to sport an 0-7 postseason mark. Lewis, 57, has a 112-94 record with the Bengals in the regular season. He has been the team's head coach since 2003.

The Bengals' meltdown in Saturday's playoff loss came after Lewis led his team to a franchise-record-tying 12-4 regular-season mark and a fourth AFC North championship without the benefit of having starting quarterback Andy Dalton (broken thumb) for the last four-plus games.

The Bengals had rallied from 15 points down to take a 16-15 lead in the fourth quarter before Jeremy Hill lost a fumble with Cincinnati trying to run out the clock.

On Pittsburgh's ensuing possession, penalties from two of the Bengals' most aggressive defenders all but decided perhaps the most gut-wrenching of the seven postseason losses Cincinnati has suffered under Lewis' watch.

Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict was flagged for unnecessary roughness when he hit a defenseless Antonio Brown after Brown jumped in an effort to catch a pass from Ben Roethlisberger. Then, as officials were sorting out the penalty and trainers evaluated Brown on the field for a concussion, Bengals cornerback Adam Jones drew an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty when he got in Steelers assistant coach Joey Porter's face during an on-field scrum between the teams.

Burfict's and Jones' 15-yard penalties not only put the Steelers in field goal range, but gave Chris Boswell a 35-yard chip shot to win the game.

"We destructed on ourselves," Lewis said after the game.

Burfict is facing a suspension for his hit on Brown, a source familiar with the situation told Schefter.

Former Bengals quarterback Boomer Esiason was especially critical of Lewis on the CBS broadcast after the game.

"I'm a former Bengal. I'm embarrassed by the way that this game ended and by the way these guys carried themselves on the football field today," Esiason said. "I feel bad for Marvin Lewis. I'll tell you one thing, if Lewis can't control his players, then maybe Marvin Lewis shouldn't be on the sideline coaching that drek."

The Bengals have not won a playoff game since 1990, when Esiason was the team's quarterback. That's the longest active drought in the NFL.

Thanks

They point out that Lewis has taken them to the playoffs 5 consecutive years. Fair enough. And while he has yet to win a playoff game I'd probably agree with them. But speaking to the press, several players who had their names withheld, thought his lack of control over players and outright willingness to allow certain players to do anything they pleased is tearing the team apart. In my opinion I think Lewis is so desperate to win a playoff game that he has turned a blind eye to the poisoned apples in his fruit stand. Cincinnati has one of the best all around teams in today's NFL. But it won't last with that kind of leadership. Hue Jackson is seriously considering going to the Browns or Philly and that's a bad situation for Lewis. He doesn't have a lot of options for another good OC since new rules have made the position a very sought after one. His window for getting to the Super Bowl with this team is closing fast and soon free agency will gut the team. A new OC could bring it about even faster. Marvin Lewis should be fired in my opinion for his lack of team control, but it will probably happen because of a new OC and the time it takes for a new system to take hold. Let him go now and maybe he coaches again. Let him fizzle out and I doubt we see him again unless it's as an analyst.

I can certainly understand the front office wanting to keep him for another run next year with this current team, but if they lose Jackson then it may all just be a pipe dream. Their best bet would be to make Jackson the HC, but he's not likely to agree to that since he's too close to Marvin Lewis as a friend. And OCs like Todd Haley would never consider going to a new team just to be OC there. Not after they just built a good offense on their current team. So your article while showing Head Office care of coaching stability in their decision, could unfortunately be the nail in the proverbial coffin of the Bengals for another twenty plus years. James Harrison who played a couple years ago with Burfict on the Bengals' team, said he was a good player when he was thinking straight, but way too often he'd go off the rails. Even tried to warn Lewis about it. Said it would bite him in the ass one day. We saw that come true. So fine, keep Marvin Lewis. Hell even keep Pac Man Jones... But get rid of Burfict if you want the rest of your team to take you seriously. Many analysts truly believed he had cost Lewis his job last night. Really not worth the risk.
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Now on to a better subject. lol Kansas City... (odd sentence there). I believe they have the current drive and tools to actually make it to the Super Bowl. And if any team can beat New England it'll be them. Denver with the return of Manning isn't as big a threat as most might think. I think his latest injury spells out his retirement. His play next week could advance the Steelers to the AFC championship game. Denver should have stuck with what got them to the playoffs in the first place. Always a bit of a stretch to bring in your "star" after such an extended injury recovery. Regardless of who wins between Denver and the Steelers that team faces either a very dangerous Kansas City team or the cheatingest team that never needed to cheat; The New England Patriots. Hard to beat the Patriots in Foxboro or an AFC championship game. But if KC wins then Denver or the Steelers can't even let out a sigh of relief after the total domination KC displayed over Huston this past weekend. KC is fairly healthy, and neither of the others are nearly so.

On the other side... Seattle is hitting their stride but I'm not sure they have what it takes to beat Carolina. Greenbay on the other hand could easily beat Arizona. Either way I see Carolina in the Super Bowl. Either against Kansas City or New England. Though if Old School Manning shows up then Denver could go also. That's a big if in my opinion. I look at Carolina as getting the ring this year. But with how crazy this season has been, I can't honestly say I'd be surprised if the Steelers won the Super Bowl. lol Talk about a total falling apart of all the teams ahead of them... But then I never once thought the Texans would make the playoffs at all, much less as the division leader.
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

One thing my brother suggested regarding replacing Lewis is that perhaps the higher ups are putting word out now that they have no plans to fire Lewis while they put their feelers out to find out if there are any interested candidates.

They don't find anyone, they keep Lewis, and keep it from looking like they have no faith in him and undermine his next season.

They do find someone, they just change their mind - no harm, no foul - and Lewis is out the door.

Thanks

The Browns? The Bengals lost their OC Hue Jackson to the freaking Browns? Salt in a wound.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

Yeah, heard about that earlier.

Makes me wonder if things are as bad internally under Lewis with the Bengals as I've seen rumored online (i.e. little/no control over players, etc.).

Then again maybe the Browns just threw a ton of money his way.

Thanks

More likely the money. Steelers are known for their stability at coaching and I'm pretty sure there's a chance we lose Todd Haley. Hopefully not to a division rival though. lol
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

This Saturday and Sunday I'm fairly certain all the Home teams with top seeds will likely win (New England, Arizona, Carolina, and Denver). But I'm really thinking Green Bay and Kansas City could pull off an upset in their respective games. It's true you can't count out the Steelers or Seattle, but I think Seattle lost quite a bit of their edge this season, And without Antonio Brown, a banged up Big Ben will have hell's own time beating Denver again offensively.

Peyton Manning may have reached the end of his passing career, but there is still no better QB in the NFL for reading defenses and adjusting on the fly in my opinion. He's one of those rare QBs that come around once every 30-50 years. Football smart beyond belief and extremely talented. I think the last one like him was Johnny Unitas. I'm aware there are those fans that would argue for QBs like Aikman, Brady, Marino, Montana, and even Aaron Rodgers, but New England already proved they could make the playoffs with a back up QB in their system, Aikman was Hall fame for sure but his career stats are well under Manning. Montana relied entirely on the west coast offense and wasn't that great outside of Walsh's setup. Marino is a question mark that is too late to ever answer, and Rodgers is very good and has a powerful arm, but has yet to prove he has more than that going for him.

So this weekend look for the 1st and 2nd seed teams to win their games, but don't be surprised if Green Bay and Kansas City spoil it for a couple of them.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

All four top seeds proceed to the conference championships. To be honest I'd like to see Denver go to the Super Bowl and win. It would be a fitting retirement for likely the best QB in football today. Denver vs. Carolina is my main pick for SB50, but I'd never discount either New England or Arizona as they are high caliber in their own rights.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

Yeah, if I can't see my team in the Super Bowl, I wouldn't mind being able to see Manning retire on a high note either.

Thanks

That was my thinking too. Not to mention my intense dislike for the Patriots and their almost addiction to cheating even when it's totally unnecessary.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

And the Broncos play the Panthers in the Super Bowl. I'm really hoping Manning pulls this one off, but the panthers are hot. They're young too and that may be to Manning's advantage. They've never really been to the Super Bowl so nerves will play a part regardless of what they tell the press. I'd really like to see Manning go out with this win. Regardless though, I believe it will be the final game of his career. There won't likely be another QB like him in another 40-50 years. Unfortunately, the QB he's most similar to is Johnny Unitas who left on a low note.

On the extremely bright side of all this... New England didn't get in!!! LOL
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

Denver 24 Carolina 10. Super Bowl 50 ends this season's football until next summer, but I'm pleased Peyton Manning got a ring for what I believe will be his last game as a player. The game wasn't much to watch offensively, but it had to be one of the best defensive games I've seen in a while. I thought it was a bit sad that Cam Newton sulked after the loss and basically refused to answer questions. Kind of childish, but that's today's product I suppose. There was a time the losers at least congratulated the victors and put on their best sportsman like attitudes. Don't see that much anymore.

The commercials really seemed rather lame this year. Though to me, I really liked the Doritos one. My wife liked the Puppy-Monkey-Baby one, but then she's not completely right in the head I'm thinking.

Overall this was a strange season, Seattle falling apart, AFC North playing some seriously questionable ball, and the oldest QB in the league beating a team that held all the betting odds in their favor at the Super Bowl. On top of that, for all the rules to make players safer, there seemed to be more injuries than I've ever seen in one season.

Already can't wait to see what next season brings. I'll be a football fanatic until the day I die, and perhaps a bit longer.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

Foot ball. I didn't realize I was older than the Superbowl... /sigh
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

That's ok Rick. I'm only a year younger than the Super bowl myself. Did they still use leather helmets when you were a young man?
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

LMFAO @ leather helmets!

Agree on your take on the game 100% Brian. There were some pretty decent plays by both sides but was definitely glad to see Manning get the win.

And Cam Newton needs to grow up. Dude is getting payed to play a game for a living and enjoy rock star popularity. You don't have to like losing (in fact, there'd be something wrong with you if you did) but at least be a good sportsman, maybe congratulate a legendary NFL star on possibly capping his career with such a great game. It's especially sad considering the note his mother sent him before the game. You can tell he was raised right. A shame he decided not to live it.

Other items of note...

I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I heard Lady GaGa was going to be doing the National Anthem but she, I think, did a great job on it! I've seen some of her other stuff when she isn't putting on her stupid shtick and she's actually quite a talented singer. She should really embrace letting her talent speak for itself instead of making herself into a carnival sideshow.

Halftime show sucked bad. For multiple reasons. That's all that needs said on that.

The commercials were very meh this year. No huge standout great ones. Thought the Jeep 4x4ever and Audi R8 commercials were very cool! Got a chuckle out of the Doritos commercial, Amazon Echo commercials, and the wiener dog/Heinz commercial. Other than that, no real notables. Did think BMW/Mini pushing the SJW angle was stupid.

Only 6-ish months left until football season!

Thanks

Cam Newton's mother may have tried to raise him right, but I doubt she stood a chance when you couple his obvious narcissism with the probability of every coach he had telling him he was the greatest. He sincerely doesn't hate the loss so much as not being the "greatest". Hopefully it's humbling to him to meet someone that truly is a great QB and grow from it. Not holding my breath though since I've seen this type of personality many time in sports. T.O. comes to mind.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

Ha! Just saw mention Newton's new nickname should be The Incredible Sulk!

Also, I just saw this:

The funny thing is at the end of the game I said the exact same thing to my brother!

Thanks

Hahahaha.

leather helmets.

Dick.

LOL

I called Cam. But... there was no ring.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information