Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Ongoing HMMWV Thread

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default My Ongoing HMMWV Thread

I'd like you all to welcome the newest member of my family...

Looking front:

Looking back:

Interior:

She's a 1994 M998A1 that's got the 6.2L diesel and only has 38,669 miles. The original listing is here with more pics, a couple vids of it idling, and other details.

Won her at auction this afternoon for $9,500. A 10% buyer's fee, 6% Kentucky sales tax, and title fees added about another $1,750 to the price tag.

The only hitch is that it is sold as being titled for off road use only but here in Ohio I should, according to my Deputy brother, be able to get it inspected by the Highway Patrol and so long as it is equipped with a list of certain equipment, get an on road title and license plate for it. It's supposed to be the same process by which dune buggies and the like are able to be titled, plated, and driven on the road around here.

It's at a facility about 4.5 hours south of me in Kentucky. Going to trailer it back.

I also will not be able to pick it up for 8-12 weeks while the End Use Certificate for my purchase is approved by Uncle Sam. The EUC basically says since it is a defense article, I'm not going to export it overseas.

Already have a list of upgrades that are going to get done to it. I've picked up LED headlights, tail lights, marker lights, and front signals for it like the newest HMMWVs have. Also picked up a new canvas rear cargo area cover/roof that extends all the way to the tailgate like this:

Next upgrade, once I've got the truck so I can take measurements, is to upgrade the seats. If you look at the link, you can see the ones it comes with suck! Definitely going to add some locking storage for runs to the store and the like since it is a soft top. Will also be adding some LED off road lighting soon after I get it and can measure what will fit where.

Other upgrades planned include the air lift/heavy duty rear bumper and eventually an Ibis Tek tire/fuel can carrier:

as well as an Ibis Tek heavy duty winch front bumper:

Down the road I want to install the Red Dot A/C system that was designed for the truck as well as a deep water fording kit.

I've wanted a Hummer/HMMWV since since before I could even drive and am just absolutely thrilled to finally own one! Plus, it's been 12 years since I've owned a personal vehicle since I've worked jobs with company provided work trucks. Figured it would be a good idea to have personal transportation so why not make it something special!

When I mentioned the other day that I cashed out the 401k from my old job, this is what a bit of it's going to.

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

Default Re: Ryan's Thread Of General Thoughts And Musings

That's just plain cool. Nice find, Ryan.

Thanks

Just an FYI MMCO and everyone, the government is selling off over 4,000 trucks of various configurations and conditions in this initial batch that has been being sold off for around the last year. So far they appear to only be just over 1/4 of the way through their trucks.

They've just lowered the opening bids to $5,000 for all running trucks. Non-runners open at half that I believe.

I paid slightly on the higher side for my truck but not unreasonably so. Would have loved it cheaper but this was a newer A1 model. This was actually my second choice truck. It had 50 bids on it by the time it was over so, she was popular! My first choice truck was a non-A1 model in Pennsylvania and ended up at an extremely high $12,750 with 72 bids! Only differences were it was 2 years older, had a NA 6.5L diesel (depot replacement at some point), had 10k fewer miles, came with the cargo cover, and looked a little cleaner.

If you don't mind putting up with the wait of government paperwork and processes and you can manage to get these on road titled in your state, these trucks are actually a really good buy. 4-Door Jeep Wranglers, nearly 10 years old with +100k miles, are still selling for over $10,000. Mileage comparable to the truck I bought is much higher. With these trucks you are getting a much heavier duty and capable vehicle with less mileage, at a lower price. Depending on the truck, you could be getting a project of one varying degree or another. Some trucks need nothing but there's a good chance you'll pay for it like I did. Avoid non-runners unless you don't mind the potential of a complete drivetrain swap or you can go inspect it in person to talk to the local GovPlanet workers or see the actual problem.

Just an FYI, I've seen dealers and eBay sellers selling cleaned up and on road titled HMMWVs for $20k-$30k+.

If anyone has any questions about the buying process or about the trucks themselves, just let me know! I've studied up a lot on these trucks over the years and have learned a lot in the last couple weeks about how things work with GovPlanet and these HMMWV auctions.

Where it's quiet, peaceful and everyone owns guns
    Thanks

Wow Ryan, that is a great deal, congratulations!!!

Now I want one too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikita Khrushchev: "We will bury you"
    "Your grandchildren will live under communism."
    “You Americans are so gullible.
    No, you won’t accept
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of
    until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism.

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll
    like overripe fruit into our hands."

Thanks

Looking at the list they had some great deals get sold.

Wish I had space for a Hummer.

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Don't know what type of space you're working with but their size is deceptive.

They look huge but it's actually 3' shorter than a Suburban and narrower than a dually pickup!

Thanks

I need to build a shop...now.

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

Made a trip upstate today and came back with this...

Now, if only I had a truck to put it on.

Thanks

Been busy with some dental appointments this week and hadn't had a chance to post this...

Monday I made a 4 hour trek to Hopkinsville, KY to inspect my truck.

Overall, it was about as I expected and am pleased with my purchase!

The folks at City Salvage and Recycling couldn't have been easier to work with. Told them why I was there, told me I could just go ahead and head to the yard and find my truck.

It didn't take long. There were between 2-3 dozen trucks there in various conditions.

Batteries are 2012 manufacture if I'm reading the date code right and the truck did start right up so, I guess I'll keep them for now. Trans fluid was a nice bright red. Oil was very black and will need changed. No date on the oil filter I could see. Already have a case of Rotella T, just need to pick up a filter.

Couldn't get under the truck. The yard was an absolute mud pit thanks to rain we've had in this area recently. I could see all of the tools were still in the pioneer kit though!

I did find out my truck does have the 10k heavier duty halfshafts so once I get the truck and can inspect the boots closer, I may have a set for sale. I had picked up a set not knowing if they were the heavier ones. Not sure if I should keep them for spares or if I should swap them and sell/keep the old ones.

Very dirty inside. And since it's been wet, that dirt covering everything had turned into a a muddy slime. Definitely glad I've got a good pressure washer!

Some other things I noted...

Very glad I picked up new seats! The seats weren't in nearly as good a shape as they looked in the listing. Also, wet and mildewy. Probably because someone left some of my doors partly open.

Found a small crack on the hood near the passenger side lift shackle. No pictures of that area in the listing so, meh.

Tires look about like I expected. Not much life left on them but enough to get a little use. Will probably change them sometime this summer but definitely before winter.

The doors look decent. Some of the clear vinyl on the edges of the windows past the stitching is starting to get yellow and crack. They probably have a couple more years on them.

The top isn't dry rotted so far as I can tell but is definitely getting near the end of it's life. There may even be a tear on the top but I couldn't get a good look, they had the trucks too sandwiched together. I probably should have gotten up in the bed...

(Possible tear on the left side ahead of the right most piece of rope. Going to see if a local upholstery shop would be able to patch it if it is.)

A question to anyone who might know... Is there any paint or coating I can spray to recolor it green and possibly help reseal it?

Some other questions...

Besides the jerry can carrier it comes with, it has this tray on the other fender. Any ID on it? Ammo can carrier I assume?

I found this in the rear passenger seat storage compartment. Any ID on this?

Found this too but it was soaked so I didn't mess with it. I've been told this is a dispatch form given to the driver that takes the truck out and that this one specifically is likely just an example form to show the driver how it should be properly filled out.

Lastly, the unit markings have been mostly painted over but I can make out some of them. Not enough to get a clear idea of who had the truck though. So, anyone have any insight on them?

The griffins are going to stay for sure.

It sure sucked having to leave her behind when I left.

Thanks

Wow, that's awesome!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

cool!
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I found out earlier that the unidentified chain thing is actually one of what is supposed to be a pair of tow bar mounts. It wraps around the axle tube of the truck being towed and the tow bar is attached to it.

Not for use on a HMMWV so no idea why it would be in the storage compartment.

And now you know!

Thanks

Very nice BOV!!!

No, you won’t accept

."
    We’ll so weaken your
    until you’ll

Thanks

I did it! After a bit of searching online I think I've managed to trace the lineage of my truck.

Working off the pics I took of the hood markings, I had come up with "181 F ABN".

Turns out this was actually "181 FABN" which should be the Tennessee Army National Guard 1-181 Field Artillery Battalion.

Their "Distinctive Unit Insignia" certainly matches the logos on the side of my truck.

Also, been doing some research into how I might be able to repaint/recoat my soft top. Got a lot of results on Steel Soldiers, of course. Looks like my best course of action is to pick up some custom mixed Behr exterior paint from Home Depot and spray it down.

Right now I'm sure you're as skeptical as I was at first thinking there's no way a house paint from Home Depot could be used to paint a military truck. Incorrect! Home Depot is able to color match the Federal Standard color codes so you can get pretty much an exact match for 383 Green, 383 Brown, Black, Tan, and a whole bunch of others. Plus it is apparently quite durable and will go on with something as easy as a $100 airless sprayer. It's even diesel resistant from what some have reported.

Some instructive threads on SS for anyone getting one of these trucks:

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

1968 JK M35A2 Restoration Project!

Paint Information (Codes and Sources)

The biggest thing with the Behr paint is that it cannot get wet for 3-4 weeks after application.

Definitely thinking of giving my truck a fresh coat of paint, especially with it being as cheap as it is to buy and as easy as it is to apply. My only hangup is keeping the 1-181 griffins on the sides. The unit markings can be masked off but that would be a real pain with the logos. Maybe I can get in touch with them and see if they can hook me up with a stencil or possibly even make one myself.

If you're thinking of using some rattlecan Rustoleum/Krylon camo paint, you probably could if you didn't mind the colors being off. Speaking for the green only, the Rustoleum Dark Forest Green camo paint is too dark compared to the 383 Green. I know because earlier today I took the deep water intake stack I bought, cleaned and prep sanded it, sprayed with 3 coats of primer, and then sprayed with 4 coats of the Rustoleum. After it cured to the touch, I compared it to a couple of truck parts I've got that are 383 Green.

The other solutions are some CARC substitute paints like RAPCO's and some others on eBay but they are pricey compared to the Behr.

Also, TB 43-0209 is a good reference.

Almost 2 months to the date since my purchase. At least another month or, worst case, 2 before she's home.

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

Ryan,

Trace the griffin logo with a fine sharpie and cut it out with xacto. Should work.

Thanks

Son was in the FAB out of Colorado. I don't remember their designation though. There are so many Army units and AF units around here....

But really cool you could find it.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MinutemanCO View Post
    Ryan,

Trace the griffin logo with a fine sharpie and cut it out with xacto. Should work.
    Sorry MMCO, forgot I was going to respond to this!

That's my last resort. I know the military paint jobs are far from exact or neat but, I'm afraid how poorly it would turn out.

If it comes down to it, that's what I'll do though.

Thanks

Today was my lucky day!!!

EUC approved on my HMMWV! Way ahead of schedule too!

Going to go pick her up tomorrow!

Thanks

You need to do some Video of your maiden voyage!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Most definitely!

I've heard it could be another month before I get the titling paperwork.

Thread Information