Thread: 'Star Trek' Actor Anton Yelchin Killed When His Car Hits Him

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 'Star Trek' Actor Anton Yelchin Killed When His Car Hits Him

That's sad... Not the biggest fan of the new Trek movies but the casting was good, including him.

'Star Trek' Actor Anton Yelchin Killed When His Car Hits Him

June 19, 2016

Anton Yelchin, a rising actor best known for playing Chekov in the new "Star Trek" films, was killed by his own car as it rolled down his driveway early Sunday, police and his publicist said.

The car pinned Yelchin, 27, against a brick mailbox pillar and a security fence at his home in Los Angeles, Officer Jenny Hosier said. He had gotten out of the vehicle momentarily, but police did not say why he was behind it when it started rolling.

Yelchin was on his way to meet friends for a rehearsal, Hosier said. When he didn't show up, the group came to his home and found him dead.

The freak accident tragically cuts short the promising career of an actor whom audiences were still getting to know and who had great artistic ambition. "Star Trek Beyond," the third film in the rebooted series, comes out in July.

Director J.J. Abrams, who cast Yelchin in the franchise, wrote in a statement that he was "brilliant ... kind ... funny as hell, and supremely talented."

His death was felt throughout the industry.

"He was a ferocious movie buff who put us all to shame," said Gabe Klinger, who directed Yelchin in the upcoming film "Porto," likely to be released this fall. "He was watching four or five movies every night — silent movies."

Yelchin began acting as a child, taking small roles in independent films and various television shows, such as "ER," ''The Practice," and "Curb Your Enthusiasm." His breakout big-screen role came opposite Anthony Hopkins in 2001's "Hearts in Atlantis."

He transitioned into teen roles in films such as the crime thriller "Alpha Dog" and the comedy "Charlie Bartlett." He also played a young Kyle Reese in 2009's "Terminator Salvation."

Yelchin, an only child, was born in Russia. His parents were professional figure skaters who moved the family to the United States when Yelchin was a baby. He briefly flirted with skating lessons, too, before discovering that he wasn't very skilled on the ice. That led him to acting class.

"I loved the improvisation part of it the most, because it was a lot like just playing around with stuff. There was something about it that I just felt completely comfortable doing and happy doing," Yelchin told The Associated Press in 2011 while promoting the romantic drama "Like Crazy." He starred opposite Felicity Jones.

"(My father) still wanted me to apply to college and stuff, and I did," Yelchin said. "But this is what I wanted."

The discipline that Yelchin learned from his athlete parents translated into his work as an actor, which he treated with seriousness and professionalism, said Klinger, the director.

He drew on his Russian roots for his role as the heavily accented navigator Chekov in the "Star Trek" films, his most high-profile to date.

"What's great about him is he can do anything. He's a chameleon. He can do bigger movies or smaller, more intimate ones," ''Like Crazy" director Drake Doremus told the AP in 2011. "There are a lot of people who can't, who can only do one or the other. ... That's what blows my mind."

Yelchin seemed to fit in anywhere in Hollywood. He could do big sci-fi franchises and vocal work in "The Smurfs," while also appearing in more eccentric and artier fare, like Jim Jarmusch's vampire film "Only Lovers Left Alive" and Jeremy Saulnier's horror thriller "Green Room," a cult favorite that came out earlier this year.

Klinger recalled a conversation with Jarmusch about Yelchin before Klinger cast him in "Porto."

"Jim was like, 'Watch out. Anton read Dostoyevsky when he was like 11 years old!'" Klinger said.

The director said that for Yelchin, every film was an opportunity to learn and study more. He admired Nicolas Cage's laser-focus on the Paul Schrader film "Dying of the Light" and also got to work with one of his acting heroes, Willem Dafoe, on the film "Odd Thomas."

"He used to refer to Willem as an artist, not an actor," Klinger said. "That's the kind of actor he aspired to be, where people didn't regard him as an actor, they regarded him as an artist."

Yelchin's publicist, Jennifer Allen, confirmed his death and said his family requests privacy.

Thanks

Default Re: 'Star Trek' Actor Anton Yelchin Killed When His Car Hits Him

Very sad. I see a law suit developing too....
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by American Patriot View Post
    Very sad. I see a law suit developing too....
    There shouldn't be one. Guy made a mistake and didn't put his Grand Cherokee in park fully and it rolled back on him.

I may know someone where the exact same thing happened many years ago with a Grand Caravan. The Grand Caravan then rolled down the driveway backwards and hit a Grand Wagoneer at the bottom knocking it out of gear (I have... I mean the someone I may know... STILL has no idea how that happened) and both vehicles went crashing downhill about 100' before colliding with some trees and a chainlink fence.

Hmmm... Now that I think about it, all of these vehicles were Chrysler products so maybe a lawsuit IS in order!

Thanks

Actually, Ryan, there should be one. That vehicle was about to be recalled because of that very problem. He DID put it in park.

https://consumerist.com/2016/06/28/r...s-266-crashes/

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/27/12...ign-flaw-video

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/22/auto...rshift-recall/

Yep, if you're used to driving a car with a slot for the shifter and switch to an e-shifter, you're gonna make mistakes and it appears hundreds of people made mistakes.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

My Acura would have saved his life.

If you leave it in gear, open the door and the car moves move than a few feet, the brakes come on and it goes into park.

It cannot "slip out" of park. It's a button.

Most Chrysler products are shit, I should know. I own one. I had to put new brakes, rotors, calipers and brake lines on it this year. Then the electronic throttle flaked out not long ago. I still haven't bothered with that one. Every year I seem to put about 1k in repairs in it.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

My Pontiac Bonneville wouldn't have done that.

Doing shit with electronics that can be done with mechanical fail safes is stupid.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by American Patriot View Post
    My Pontiac Bonneville wouldn't have done that.

Doing shit with electronics that can be done with mechanical fail safes is stupid.
    Doing shit with electronics, but not doing the whole job is stupid.

I've seen manual transmission vehicles left out of gear and roll. I've seen automatics left IN gear and do looptie loos in reverse in parking lots.

The point I'm saying is that with my Acura, it simply can't happen by accident.

In fact, just to get the damn thing to go through a car wash is a pain. I still don't know how the guys do it. If you put it in neutral, pop your belt and get out, it goes into park.

You can't run it through the car wash with the window down...I think there's a car wash mode or something, I just don't know how to do it but it's a very specific set of setting the controls. Door open, in park it goes. In neutral, open door, in park. In fact, if you have the brake holder enabled (take foot off brake at stop lights, I LOVE this feature on long lights) and you just pop your seat belt, it goes into park and sets the parking brake.

Ok, Looked it up.

Car Wash Mode
    Follow the procedure below to use a conveyor-style car wash where you or an
    attendant do not remain in the vehicle. Make sure the wiper lever is in the OFF
    position. You should inform the car wash attendant of this procedure.
    1. When the engine is running, apply the brake pedal and select Neutral (N).
    2. Within 5 seconds, press the ENGINE START/STOP button. The vehicle goes into
    Accessory mode.
    This mode lasts 15 minutes before the gear changes to Park and the vehicle
    turns off.
    Last edited by Malsua; June 29th, 2016 at 23:55.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Well, I wasn't arguing with you about it.I

I'm just saying that electronics can fail, and we all know that. If you have a physical, mechanical tie to the transmission and you drop it into park, it's almost never (not never) going to come out of gear. A well worn machine might do anything.

But an electronic thing people aren't familiar with, like the Jeep Grand Cherokee eshifter.... something I personally have never used, but requires some thinking to move the shift lever so many times to "PARK" it is insane. If you're new to one... and you don't do it right, you die.

Evidence by Checkov dying.....

That's my point.

The car had already been recalled. They are trying to determine if he had received his letter yet.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

I wonder if they'll kill him off in the next movie so that they can have a fitting funeral.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Good question. I dind't wanna voice that.

(Shit, I sounded like Scotty there for a second).

They killed Khan off already so they can do that Earwig thing to him again.
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information