Border Crossers Appear Guilty Of Blinding Dog With Pepper Spray
ARIVACA — Sandy Schlesinger thought he had an unspoken accord with the illegal entrants who passed through his property on a nearly daily basis.

He filled their water jugs and gave them tortillas before sending them on their way and calling the Border Patrol.

A couple of weeks ago, though, the rules changed.

Schlesinger heard his dog, a German wire-haired pointer and black Labrador mix named Gobbler, barking from his outdoor kennel early in the morning. He looked out the window and saw a border crosser with his arm outstretched, standing a few feet from his kenneled dog. Schlesinger thought the man was perhaps working up the nerve to move close enough to pet the dog. When Schlesinger went outside, he saw a group of eight people and gave them water before they left.

Schlesinger didn't realize until three days later that his dog was blind, the result he says of the border crosser shooting pepper spray into Gobbler's eyes.

When Gobbler's veterinarian said Schlesinger's dog had been pepper-sprayed and blinded because it was not treated immediately, the owner realized what had happened.

"Animals act differently," Schlesinger said. "You and I would run screaming for water, but he didn't."

Damage was so severe in one of Gobbler's eyes, the vet had to inject it with steroids and sew it shut. The other eye is open, but blind and the dog is still being treated daily with medications and eyedrops.

Because Schlesinger lives in a rural area 35 miles from the Mexican border, he doesn't think Gobbler is safe living there without his eyesight. Days after the vet treated the dog, a rattlesnake slithered into Gobbler's pen. Schlesinger was able to remove the snake before Gobbler — in his blinded state — stepped on it.

"He's totally defenseless. He can't see. I need to find another place for him. He's not safe here," Schlesinger said.

Since the incident with Gobbler, other area residents are concerned for the safety of their companion animals, too.

Schlesinger said his vet — who could not be reached for comment — said he has seen other incidents of family dogs being pepper-sprayed.

A Border Patrol spokeswoman, Agent Shannon Stevens, said she hasn't heard any reports about border crossers carrying pepper spray, but said it is a possibility.

Rachel Molyneux, a volunteer with Bisbee-based Border Animal Rescue, said she's heard rumors about pets being sprayed, but doesn't have any direct knowledge of such incidents.

Two Nogales vets, Roberto Rojas and Simon Escalada said they haven't heard of dogs being pepper-sprayed.

Nevertheless, neighbors of Schlesinger aren't taking any chances.

"It's really got the people out there upset, especially animal lovers. I think that's the last straw," said Jacque Thompson, who owns property near Schlesinger's and has seen the Border Patrol capture 35 to 40 illegal border crossers at a time on her 20 acres.

Rick and Barb Burton live near Schlesinger and are prepared to do whatever is necessary to protect their two German shepherds, Amanda and Simone.

The couple said they used to have a lot of empathy for the crossers and would provide them with water and sometimes food, but about four months ago their home was broken into and ransacked. They raised the fence around the property to protect their dogs and since the incident with Schlesinger's dog, no longer leave Amanda and Simone home alone for long periods of time.

"After Sandy's dog got sprayed, the feelings of empathy disappeared," said Barb Burton. "I think it was sheer meanness — nasty."

"If I see them (illegal border crossers) on our property, I'll ask them to leave. If there's any threat, appropriate action will be taken," said Rick Burton, showing the gun holstered at his hip. He and his wife are licensed to carry concealed weapons.

"The Border Patrol does what they can, but we have to take action as we see fit," Rick Burton said. "I wouldn't go so far as to shoot them, but I'd scare the living hell out of them."

Scott and Kathy Brumagin, who live nearby, also are concerned for the safety of their pets. In January 2005, their screened-in porch was broken open by — they suspect — border crossers and the door was left open. The couple's pet rabbits and ferrets got outside and were killed by other animals, Scott Brumagin said.

The couple raise livestock, and some cows and horses have wandered away after border crossers cut or pushed down fences. And some of their goats have disappeared.

"As for our animals, it's an accepted risk," he said. "I'm not going to start killing people over our livestock and animals, but by the same token, I wish they would leave our animals alone. Losing our rabbits and ferrets was a pretty big lesson."

The Brumagins have not replaced them.

"After the last round we kind of lost heart on that. It was more than we could bear," he said.
It's sad that these people had to learn the hard way about the real nature of these criminal invaders.