Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL 2016-2017 Season

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default NFL 2016-2017 Season

Once again it's time for Football. Not soccer you libtards, but actual American, break your shoulder, and knee destroying FOOTBALL! God I love this sport.

So I kept a pretty close eye on the off season of most teams. What a whirlwind it's been this year. Some decent talent in the draft seems to have broken the talent drought we've suffered the last few seasons. Because of this, some of the early teams to pick will have a chance to avoid picking early next draft. Well maybe not Cleveland lol.

But in truth even Cleveland has built a team that could see it's first real chance at making a place in their division since the real Browns left and became the Ravens. Unfortunately for them, all the other teams in their division improved except Cincinnati. And while they are still no slouch team again this year, they lost some talent and a pretty damn fine Offensive Coordinator. Pittsburgh and Baltimore both had good drafts and together it should be an interesting division to watch.

Denver is the real story here though. I mean wow. Just wow. Peyton retires, and they watched their only fire tempered QB go to Texas. A couple more free agency losses and very little acquisition means they'll all but step aside for KC this season. I definitely don't see them going to the Super Bowl again. I think the Raiders are going to make a fair showing too.

And how about Jacksonville? I think they could actually make a run for their division this year. They look good and have many pieces added to an already decent team. Blake Bortles will only get better barring injury and Andrew Luck may not look so "elite" to the experts if he falls to the Jags twice.

And finally there is the Patriots on the AFC side. Brady faces a four week suspension and it could really harm their chances this season. (one can only hope). They talked about repealing it with the Supreme Court, but honestly, is this even a question of Constitutional Rights? His lawyers must have gotten their education online overnight. Doesn't matter though because you can't really count the Patriots out. They'll win with talent or cheating... They don't care.

In the NFC we see Seattle trying to fix a team that free agency dinged up over the last few years. I'd say they did decently and along with Arizona they're basically the only two teams in that division worth considering. The Rams will have a new home, but all the same players that failed them in the past. The 49'ers are a one trick pony in my book and they have a QB that doesn't really want to be there. That's never good.

Carolina and Atlanta seek to upset each other in order to make it to the Conference Championship Game this season and have pretty solid teams to do it with. I have issue with Newton though. He's a damn fine QB, but his ego trips him up and makes for an interesting locker room dynamic. I don't think they repeat either this season, but they have a far better chance than Denver. Who knows, maybe Brees has one good season in him and will take the Saints to the big game... It could happen.

Green Bay is the only team in the NFC North I like this season. The Vikes are ok and all, but I think Aaron Rodgers always gives the Packers a chance for a win. All in all I don't see their division getting past the first game of the playoffs.

The NFC East is always an interesting division. 4 teams that can all be considered division leader any given year. Dallas made some key improvements, but unlike the "experts", I don't think Romo is elite. Maybe with a different team that would have been a different story, but he's with Dallas. That said, I think they win their division this year even with their warts. Eli isn't Peyton and while he has two rings (both against the Patriots lol), he hasn't really done much of late to endear me to his play. Snyder's skins have the issue of an owner that needs traded if you ask me, but since that isn't likely I'll just have to say their chances are slightly better than last season. Philly could be the real surprise though. I think they're gonna be ready for a Super Bowl run any season now.

Now with all that I'll tell you which teams I think are likely to make it to the Super Bowl this season... I'll claim my account here was hacked if I'm wrong and have to choose differently later in the season. Hacked by Phil. Why Phil? Just because. That's how I roll.

So I think on the NFC side the three teams most likely are Seattle, Carolina, or Philly. On the AFC side I think Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, or New England. A side note here on the Eagles and Bengals... If they don't make it this season I'd still keep them as possibles next. They have the best rounded teams not likely to be destroyed by cap or free agency after the year ends IMO. That's important when they go to draft as they can build instead of patch.
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Baldwin For This Useful Post:

Ryan Ruck (July 17th, 2016)

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: NFL 2016-2017 Season

Wow, hard to believe it's almost that time of year again! Everyone I've talked to has agreed this year has just flown by so far.

I think you're on the money with the Bengals. Not getting overly optimistic about their chances this year.

Thanks

Kinda like Pittsburgh last season. Couldn't count them in and couldn't count them out. Bengals could surprise everyone in either direction. Personally had I been the owners of the Bengals, I would have fired Marvin Lewis and put Hue Jackson in charge right away. Wouldn't have even given him a chance to interview with another team.
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

So I was listening to some of the "Experts" (quotes because I question that), saying they thought the Steelers (my favorite team), were favorites to go to the Super Bowl this year. I found myself rolling my eyes at the statement. In sports there are really only two teams at the start of the season that are favorites to go to the big game and that's the two teams that went the last year. Even then the off season dictates a lot. But lets just look at the Steelers from last season for a second... First they barely got into the playoffs and it came down to two other teams deciding it for them. Second, Cincinnati won that first playoff game until they threw it away because they love to hire troubled players. (No offense Ryan, but that's true). Thirdly, they didn't "almost" beat Denver. Denver had an off day and still beat the Steelers.

Pittsburgh made some good off season moves and certainly improved their defense. Though, if you consider that their defense couldn't be too much worse, that isn't saying much. Without ever seeing the kickoff of the new season until September there are "Experts" already picking them to go to the Super Bowl. I'd be fine with that if they said they were among a group of teams they could see making it there, but to state this team on it's own without anything more than they really had last season when they were sure Pittsburgh would be third in the division, it's really kind of idiotic. And here's the kicker... Some of those same "Experts" have said Cincinnati will be 4th in the division. Andy Dalton suddenly forget how to quarterback? Marvin Lewis can't coach without Hue Jackson? Granted, the loss of Jackson will hurt them without a doubt, but it's not like the team's only talent was his coaching the offense. And to put a cherry on top of that pile of stinking crap, somehow Cleveland became a powerhouse in the off season? Because in the AFC North they play extremely aggressive football. And Cleveland since it was reestablished has been unable to contend with that kind of play. The Ravens, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh are all just as likely to go to the playoffs and win the division as any other of the three.

I'm a huge Steelers fan now for over 45 years. I'd love to see them go to the Super Bowl again or even every time, but I'll never blindly pick one team that barely got into the playoffs, had one of the worst defenses, and has to contend within it's own division of equally tough playing teams as being the Super Bowl pick before I've even seen them kick off once. And I'd never dismiss a team like Baltimore or Cincinnati out of hand while doing it.

Now it may seem rather odd for me to rant about this considering I picked them also in my first post of the season. But in actuality I picked three teams that I think have the best chances of getting there per conference, not one. I also stated that all of it could easily change later based on how the season unfolds. The reason why, is because I'm certainly not an expert, though I am a huge study of the game of football. And unlike the "Experts" that made the singular pick, I'd never allow anyone to refer to me as an expert to begin with.

Hell for all I know it could be Cleveland vs. Detroit in the Super Bowl this year.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Baldwin View Post
    Second, Cincinnati won that first playoff game until they threw it away because they love to hire troubled players. (No offense Ryan, but that's true).
    None taken because it is true. They stupidly gambled unnecessarily and it blew up in their faces.

If I had to bet, I would bet that what you're hearing from these so called "experts" is nothing more than an effort to gin up "controversy" to generate discussion and get them noticed.

Looks like it's working.

Thanks

You could very well be right lol. Of course I am a Knee Jerk, Bible Thumping, Gun Loving, Conservative from what I hear from our president.

Either way, the closest thing I ever found to an expert in matters football was our local bookie. And Jimmy the Greek. Who likely was a closet bookie. I actually learned a lot from our local bookie on how to read players, transactions within teams, and the overall congress of maturation when it came to growing a team. And some things that had nothing to do with football and isn't nice and involve baseball bats. I've spent my whole life following this sport almost exclusively and could never call myself an expert. I'm sharp enough to know that rookies don't tend to make huge impacts and neither does throwing money at an older player that did well for another team. There are always exceptions true... But overall, Coaches and players can be replaced, and often times it comes down to plain old consistency. Not firing the HC every year or two, working with your rookies and not baptizing them with fire if at all avoidable, and of course keeping locker room drama to a minimum. Every great team knew this. It's why as much as I can't stand the Patriots, they are never out of the contest.

Cincinnati now has two of those three ingredients in place... They just need to lose the Burficts of the world and they'll be the next great empire in football. Think of it this way... You're a player that's above average enough for the Bengal's to start... Then a very talented Burfict comes along and they let him get away with stuff you'd never be allowed to. Doesn't make for good locker room settings. Especially when it directly results in the loss of a playoff game you busted your ass to win.

Anyway, even though I'm no "Expert", I don't easily count Cincinnati out of contention. They're still a dangerous team when Burfict is under control. That's really my only point. lol
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

Almost forgot about the HoF game since I was at a cookout tonight but, it looks like it was no matter since it ended up cancelled due to a fiasco over the paint used.

Thanks

Won't be long can't wait to see how the Bengals look. If Dalton would have not been hurt I think they were the team last year. This year hard to say I am Burfict fan regardless of what they say, I think he is suspended for couple/few games for playing football. I think the Cincy quarterback situation starter or backup is probably one of the better spots in the league (most teams just don't survive the season). There just isn't that many good QB's. Thats why Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Brady teams are always favored they are simply that good but if they get hurt then they are done.

Thanks

Burfict is indeed talented but he is, unfortunately, the textbook definition of a loose cannon.

Unless and until he gets discipline, that's all he'll be to the detriment of his team.

Thanks

AGEUSAF:

I originally thought Burfict was just playing Hard Nosed football during initial reports. Then when I saw the footage of him intentionally trying to injure players... (twisting ankles of QBs that had surgery on that ankle). I was really disappointed. I am one of those guys that don't like all the sissifying of the sport, but that is just dirty play and can't be ignored.

You're right about Dalton though and Wrong about Roethlisberger somewhat, and dead on with Rodgers, and Tom doesn't make or break his team IMO. Dalton being uninjured last year would very likely have at least gotten the Bengals to the next level regardless of the mess up by Burfict and Jones at the end of the game. Couple that with Hue Jackson's coaching and you may have just made it to the Super Bowl. As for Roethlisberger? Landry was a decent back up and won more than one game during the games Big Ben was out. Mike Vick on the other hand is pretty much done. Rodgers is correct. They do not have a viable backup to replace him, but mostly because they don't have many weapons for Rodgers to begin with and bit porous of an O-Line. Brady being out changes very little. He's good no doubt, but the system is what makes that team and any backup QB can pretty much step in and win. Seen it before a couple seasons back when Tom ended up on IR and they still made it deep into the playoffs with Matt Casserly(?) Who was basically a bust after he left New England.

As for me and being a Steelers fan, I'm kind of stoked that Sammie Coates has stepped up and seems to be able to replace Pittsburgh's trouble maker (Bryant). If he does well I think the Steelers should terminate Bryant. Hell even if he doesn't I'm in favor of getting rid of Bryant. Missing a whole season just because he can't pass a drug test is right up there with Burfict's behavior if you ask me. Players that are quick to hurt their team without thinking, should have very short walks out of the locker room and straight to the unemployment line.

What do you guys think of the whole RGIII/Hue Jackson dynamic in Cleveland? Think it'll amount to much?
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

I always think Big Ben can give you a chance in that fourth quarter and there are only a handful that can do that. Brady I concede the Belichick system is very hard to beat.

I just remember football from decades ago and it was dirty...the rules have changed but big time defense players from the 80's back were some dirty ass players and it wasn't flagged it was how it was done..........right or wrong.

RGIII I feel for the guy he at least the last time I seen him play needed his legs and the AFC North defense for the other three teams which is six games is not good for running quarterbacks. All three teams have "special" lol defensive players that love to put a little extra into the play. He won't last.

Thanks

Football was played a bit dirtier for certain. I'll give you that. Deacon Jones' patented Ear Hole Slap comes to mind... I just personally don't think it needs to be anymore. Talent and dedication is more important these days because you're talking multimillion dollar contracts and year round athletes as opposed to the crap wages they got paid back then. In the Years before the Super Bowl, most players had off season jobs, so if they wanted any kind of payday in the NFL they had to make an impact and I think that led to more unsportsman like conduct than we see today. But then I also compare Peyton Manning to Johnny Unitas and the fact is they're not interchangable for their respective times. Both were about as football smart as a player could get and never seemed to get rattled easily and that's the comparison. As far as Johnny U. in today's football... Probably would be a backup player if you forwarded him in time. Peyton would be considered too soft if sent back in time. So while Burfict may be perfectly acceptable in Chicago circa 1958, I don't see that translating to today's game. Still I guess it comes down to where to draw the line. Your line is back further than mine and I'm sure the Owners have their lines drawn a bit more forward than mine. So it is a valid point you make.

I think you may be entirely on the money concerning RGIII. The AFC North defenses are brutal. He's going to have to learn to stick in the pocket more if he wants to succeed. I personally think that the Browns won't make the playoffs to be honest. Even with Hue Jackson it'd take a few years of rebuilding to get to where they can truly contend. But they have the potential to be playoff spoilers for whichever two teams ahead of them who may be vying for a Wildcard spot after the Division is won. The Bengals and Steelers each play the Browns late in the season and the Ravens play both the Steelers and Bengals late in the season. Not a single team can afford a loss to Cleveland IMO (any given Sunday between division rivals right?), because I think it's going to be very close this season between the three dominate teams of the AFC North. And God forbid that one of the teams we route for ends up relying on the Browns to win in the final few weeks in order for us to secure a wild card spot. Because honestly I think it's possible that the two teams that don't win the division could end up getting both wild card spots. They're just that close with everything I've been seeing the last few months.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

I noticed with the Steelers this preseason that they didn't play most of their starters. I think that's the best way to do it to be honest. Those players that obviously are going to start shouldn't be put into a position in which an injury could easily derail their season. On the other hand, I still believe that these preseason games are valuable for coaches to make informed cuts to their team. All battles, and contests between the various positions that aren't obvious starters can more easily be settled in these games. I've seen teams that will keep their starters in until they have the game firmly won before switching them out with backups. I think that's a huge risk to take with multi-million dollar athletes. And it takes away from backups having a chance to show why they belong on the roster. Perhaps in the last game of the preseason you can play your starters just to knock off the rust before the regular season starts, but even then I'd keep their time on field limited.

You guys may have a different opinion on that, and I'd love to hear it. Let me know what you think of preseason games in general, and what role if any starters should have in them.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

Just spotted Rudy Giuliani on the sidelines at the - game during the National Anthem.

Bengals players had NYPD and FDNY caps on for the coin toss (changed channels to the game just as they were coming off so didn't see the Jets players). Marvin Lewis wearing an FDNY cap.

Thanks

Jets get first score.

Thanks

Wow! Great 54 yard throw by Dalton and reception by Green for a TD to take the lead!

Thanks

Jeez, 5 sacks against Dalton going into the half. O Line needs to really step it up.

Thanks

Bengals eeked out a win with a long range FG - 23-22.

Hoping this isn't going to be another year of the Cardiac Cats.

Thanks

Little worried about Dalton's thumb. He passed for an amazing 336 yards but came away with only 1 touchdown and 1 interception, Ryan Fitzpatrick on the other hand had half the yards and made two touchdowns and a pick. With AJ Green, Dalton should have had a 4 touchdown game if you ask me. They struggled in the season opener and I really believe that the Bengals are better than that. Hopefully with a game under his belt his "touch" will settle in and the thumb won't be an issue. That's one of the worst injuries for a QB as it is.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

With Burfict on suspension you guys may not throw away the win this week.
    Brian Baldwin

Thread Information