Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: NFL 2016-2017 Season

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: NFL 2016-2017 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Baldwin View Post
    I saw that tie game while looking up scores and was like Wow.... I'm not as optimistic as you when it comes to a tie. I don't see it as a loss either though. It's just a lost game. Missing completely. It cancels it's self out and I've never seen a team thankful of a tie. lol That being said, I personally believe, for the pros anyway, that there should never be allowed a tie. After the first OT quarter make them sit their starters and play with their backups. But make them play for months if need be without stop until either one team gives up or one scores. The NFL only has 16 games to base their whole season's body of work on. A game that's basically just missing is bad for both teams when it comes to wildcard slots. And you really couldn't have had a worse team tie with the Bengals considering Pittsburgh trounced the skins. So even if Cincinnati ends up with the same number of wins they could lose a top seed placement because of that tie with Washington. Would have been better if had been the Pats by far.

I think Cincinnati has decent enough depth too at just about everywhere except receiving that if they did have to go to a 6th quarter with backups they likely could have won.

You mentioned Burfict likely costing the game again. But you said holding penalty. That's pretty benign for Burfict actually. But it reminded me of what an analyst suggested for the Bengals last week... He said they should trade him and a draft pick for a top 20 or 10 receiver so Dalton had another good target. I actually thought that made great sense. Burfict may be talented in his position, but he's not someone that Marvin can handle. Trading him for a needed position player that is considered really good, wouldn't be a bad idea in my thinking. Eventually he's going to be out of the NFL altogether, so I'd cut my associations with him while he could still bring value. Goodall will eventually have to address him. He was gone for the first 4 games and it's not like the defense suffered greatly. His back up stepped up fairly decent and with time could replace him IMO. What do you think?
    For the part in red...

Totally agree with you about games not ending in ties. Baseball plays until there's a winner.

And yeah, the hold by Burfict was mild but it was so poorly timed and unnecessary when it happened. A trade like you mention is exactly what needs to happen with him. Let him be someone else's liability for someone we can actually use.

Thanks

Midway through the season I'm leaning pretty heavily towards a Patriots - Cowboys superbowl. Though I give outside chances to either the Steelers or Seahawks making an appearance. Right now though It looks like Stupid Brady is going to get another ring. lol
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

I just noticed your Alexander Hamilton quote Ryan... Kinda ironic considering he foolishly dueled Burr and died.
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Yeah, I probably need to find a new one since that ship has clearly sailed...

Thanks

And we're playing NFL games in Mexico why?

American Football is for countries that can actually afford to properly outfit sports teams so, it makes sense to play a (real) football game in England. Soccer is for poor countries that can only afford a ball between 2 whole teams so Mexico should probably just stick with soccer.

Expect Mexico fans to boo national anthem before 'Monday Night Football'

November 15, 2016

The national anthem was played for decades at National Football League games without much incident or discussion but 2016 has changed all that, starting with Colin Kaepernick’s preseason protest.

If the anthem controversy has lost a little steam in recent weeks with Kaepernick's taking a knee only having been joined by a handful of other players, Monday night’s game in Mexico City between the Oakland Raiders and Houston Texans could add a new dimension to the conversation.

“I am ready,” Hector Diaz, 24, said, as he made preparations to attend Monday’s game at the cavernous Azteca Stadium with a group of friends. “When they play the anthem … I am going to boo.”

For sure there are conflicted feelings in Mexico about their neighbors to the north following the presidential campaign and last week's election of Donald Trump. In addition to wanting to build a wall along the border — and insisting Mexico pay for it — Trump has called Mexicans migrating to the U.S. criminals and racists.

No one is quite certain how feelings about the president-elect will manifest themselves Monday when the Star Spangled Banner is played before the NFL’s first regular season excursion into Mexico since 2005.

“I will be at the game and I think some people will boo (the anthem),” Stephen Sanchez, a Raiders fan who will travel from his home in Monterrey, in northern Mexico, said. “People will maybe feel there is even more reason to now.”

When the U.S. soccer has played at Azteca Stadium for World Cup qualifying games in recent years, the anthem has been routinely jeered by virtually the entire crowd.

At major boxing events in the U.S. featuring Mexican fighters such as Juan Manuel Marquez or Canelo Alvarez, there has been a similar response.

“The booing of the national anthem is actually a misconstrued way of them celebrating their own anthem," said former U.S. soccer player Eric Wynalda. "I’ve played many times against Mexico, and I think it’s just part of the rivalry.”

By their nature, the growing numbers of American football fans in Mexico have at least some affinity for the U.S., if only an appreciation for the national sport.

“In Mexico, two sentiments co-exist,” historian Raul Figueroa Esquer, a professor at Mexico’s National Autonomous Institute of Technology, said. “One historical sentiment, which has an anti-American (basis). At the same time, there is a sentiment of admiration for the most powerful, or one of the most powerful countries in the world.

“(Trump) has had an effect by making negative comments, calling (Mexican people) rapists. It is frankly painful that he makes menacing claims about building a stronger wall and having Mexico pay for it.”

Kaepernick’s gesture, intended as a protest of social injustices, has a divided opinion in the U.S., with many outraged by the actions of the San Francisco 49ers quarterback and other players, but a large number also supporting his right to freedom of speech and expression.

However, outright booing may be seen different.

“Here is the funny thing, I love America and I go there all the time,” Diaz said. “When it is a soccer game it just means we want to beat your team. This time, I will be booing the bad parts of America. Trump, intolerance, racism, how some people feel towards Mexicans. But I still love American football, and yes, I still love America.”

In Mexico, there is a clear class and wealth divide between the hardcore supporters of major soccer teams and fans of the NFL. American football, according to marketing expert Manuel Juarez, is very much a middle class game, while soccer is the sport of the masses.

“I really don’t think and I would not expect the Mexican people would boo when the U.S. national anthem would be sung or played (for the NFL game),” Juarez said. “I really don’t. It is kind of a different audience than the soccer fans. Sorry, but that’s true. (Different) education, socio-economic level.”

Alejandro Morales Troncoso, an author and Mexico’s leading American football historian, hopes Monday night’s game can help bridge the political divide.

“We are brothers and thankfully we are only separated by a line,” Troncoso said.

As for the message he wants the Mexican fans to send to the NFL and its visiting teams? “You are welcome, neighbor,” he added.

Thanks

Untapped market for more money. Both London and Mexico city are huge fans of American Football and are extremely large markets. Personally with the altitude and attitude of the city I wouldn't really consider it for a long time.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

Ok Ryan.... Your Bengals had better win tomorrow or I'm gonna think bad thoughts about you... maybe... probably not... Still, I'll be upset at your team for losing a game they really need to win for the Steelers. lol
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

LOL!

I'm not holding our breath but then again our whole division is garbage so anything is possible.

At this point I'm almost hoping we tank the rest of the season so we get a good pick.

Thanks

The AFC West is the good division this year on the AFC side. Three teams likely going to the playoffs from them and that means the other three divisions the team either wins their division or misses the playoffs. Right now though it looks like it could be Patriots and Cowboys in the Super Bowl. I'll of course route for anyone over the Patriots. lol
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

Well, looks like we're now 3-7-1.

In the last 2 minutes, Dalton managed to have 4 of 6 passes blocked and then had the ball knocked loose for a Raven's recovery. Was like the 3rd time Dalton had the ball knocked loose.

Was looking like there was a chance to tie it up but nope.

Then all sorts of goofiness with a safety and a bunch of holding to wrap it up. That cluster about describes the Bengals season so far.

Thanks

Actually what the Ravens did at the end was intentional and a gray area rule wise. I'm hearing a lot of talk of the NFL making a rule against that sort of non-sense. One GM even suggested their owner would suggest automatic turnover/first down depending on which side of the ball committed the offense. A bit strong I think, which is why they likely didn't want to be named, but I'm not much for shenanigans at the Pro level either. If one can't win a game honestly, then perhaps sports isn't their forte. I would think just closing the loop hole on the clock would be enough to end it. Some will suggest it's no different than a "trick play"... They'd be wrong. Intentionally getting multiple penalties in order to run the clock out based on possession is neither a trick (as in ingenious and unforeseen), nor is it a play of any sort. It's plain and simple poor sportsmanship. Just my 2 cents on that game's ending.

The Bengals may not have played a solid game, but that's no reason to practically cheat them out of their professional try.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

I missed the 1st Q but it looks like the Bengals actually showed up to play today! Even Mike Nugent looks like he's been practicing!

ETA: Scratch that, Nugent just flubbed a PAT, literally right after I typed that.

Thanks

Beautiful 44 yard pass to LaFell. Dalton dropped it right into his hands.

Need more of that!

Thanks

And Burfict actually makes a great play with an INT and no penalties!

Now I await his hit on someone 10 seconds after a play is over...

Thanks

There's no way I write off the Bengals at this time. The AFC North, other than Cleveland, is highly capable of winning against any team if they actually put their all in it. They're all also capable of losing to even a crap team on any given day. That being said, then you have to see that whomever wins this division is going to have a shot. Problem is, they all had such irregular seasons there is no room for a wildcard without a LOT of help from other teams that would all have to suddenly lose out. Right now I give the edge to Baltimore. Honestly can't say though it won't be the Bengals who win. Not trying to just throw you some life line that's a foot short either Ryan. lol

This season has been so weird too. While I still think the SB is going to be between the Cowboys and Pats, I now have to believe Oakland of all teams has a real shot at it. The NFC is pretty much Dallas', unless some team finally stands up and shows something.

Pittsburgh's win over the Giants was nice but I've seen them lose to teams they should have beat. No way I call the division for them as much as I'd like to. Perhaps I'll be completely wrong and Miami will play Atlanta in the SB. That'd be a very fitting end to this odd season.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

My Sister-In-Law's husband Troy is a friend of mine and also a life long Dallas Cowboys fan. Dak Prescott having such a stellar season with the finally rebuilt Cowboys has made Tony Romo expendable. I don't see him with Dallas next year. Troy and I discussed all the teams he could go to and get a starting job at QB. He still has a season left in him if not two. Unfortunately all the teams in bad need of a starting QB are in serious rebuild mode or just plain suck. Except for one. We both agree he'll probably take very little money for a chance to play for Denver. They are already SB quality and just really need a starting QB of decent caliber. I could see Romo playing for them next year if he doesn't retire. I really don't see him doing a back up role for any other team or joining a rebuild team in his sunset years.

John Elway has already expressed an interest in him as Romo has also mentioned Denver. I think it's a prefect fit to try and get another SB win before they too enter rebuild mode. The reason I picked this subject to talk about is that I think Tony Romo is kind of a sad tale much like Moreno was for the Dolphins. Always a very good QB, but never having the pieces to make his stand with. In Romo's situation, the team was finally up to snuff and he was really looking forward to playing with them when he got hurt during the preseason. (Another reason I think the preseason should be for 2nd and 3rd stringers only really... Why would you need to evaluate your top players outside training camp?). I would like to see Romo at least get his shot for one season. Perhaps that'll happen for Denver.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

Bengals starting out strong!

Then again, this is the 0-12 Browns we're talking about here...

Thanks

Damn near speechless about what happened with that PAT...

At what point do we look at bringing in the backup kicker? Nugent is getting to be far too unreliable.

Thanks

Cleveland D showing some life. 3rd sack on Dalton today.

Thanks

Well, Bengals rack up another W.

Now here's something you don't hear from a team fan, "I really hope they don't get into the playoffs."

They go to the playoffs, they will definitely lose and the fact they got there will be used as an excuse to keep Lewis around for another season.

Thread Information