Thread: NFL 2018-2019 Season

Thanks

Default NFL 2018-2019 Season

Well let's give this another shot shall we? If the NFL decides politics is more important than sports we'll just call this the final season.

So many moves in this offseason, very few teams look the same. I don't see the main teams that were in the playoffs last season missing them this season to be honest. But it will be interesting to see if Cleveland can make a showing or even go negative in the win column. I think the team that improved the most out of the playoff teams is Jacksonville. Blake Bortles will make or break that team depending on his consistency. I think the Patriots are finally going to have a chance to miss the playoffs though I believe that chance is very slim. AFC North will have Pittsburgh at the top, The South either Jacksonville, 60% chance, or Houston 40% chance. The west likely will be the Chiefs once more though their division is competitive this year. And as for the East, obviously the Pats or maybe, just maybe they get usurped by a division mate in playoff tie breaker scenario.

For the NFC North will likely see the Vikings secure fairly late. The South is a toss up between the Falcons, Saints, and the favored Panthers. The West LA Rams and shockingly last place being Seahawks. The East will be the Eagles hands down. The rest of the East will fight for a possible wildcard if they don't just outright suck.

Super Bowl matchups I wouldn't mind seeing...

Chiefs - Vikings
    Jacksonville - LA Rams
    Pittsburgh - Philadelphia (The Super Bowl would be one hell of a rivalry matchup)
    Panthers - Chargers (Maybe it's finally Rivers' year?)

Ones I don't want to see...

Any Freaking Team - Patriots (I'd rather watch Cleveland and 49ers battle it out with just third stringers.)

And a quick prayer to start it all into motion... "God, please let this be a great season with no politics, and let no player be seriously injured. And if you can find it in your heart God, please let Ryan's Bengals get ass raped by the Browns... Twice! Thank you. Amen."
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: NFL 2018-2019 Season

I had heard about the League officially coming out and saying respect must be shown during the Anthem (sad they have to tell adults that) but giving them the option of staying in the locker room.

Not the strongest possible terms but it's an effort so I suppose I can go back to watching. I don't think I watched a complete game last season. As you said I'd be happy if they just played football.

In the aftermath of the revised policy I did have a good healthy laugh about NBA (if ever there was a sports league worse than the NFL) coach Steve Kerr's take on the new policy.

“I think it’s just typical of the NFL,” Kerr said. “They’re just playing off their fan base, and they’re just basically trying to use the anthem as fake patriotism, nationalism, scaring people. It’s idiotic, but that’s how the NFL has handled their business.”

I'd be very curious to see where Mr. Kerr thinks the demand for his "product" comes from except for the fans. I dare suggest to Mr. Kerr that if your customer base is demanding you do something with your product and you fail to do so, you will not have a customer base much longer. I'm going to venture this demand might not be as big an issue with his customer base however...

Thanks

Fan base = paying customer. Coach Kerr could use a lesson in economics.
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

It's like they're trying to do everything possible to drive away the fan base. I'm seriously starting to wonder how well the NFL execs actually understand economics and business.

I mean colleges do this but that doesn't make it right either!

NFL's First Male Dancers Will Hit The Sidelines This Season

August 6, 2018

NFL fans will see history made this season, and it has nothing to do with what goes on between the goalposts.

The Los Angeles Rams and the New Orleans Saints will have male cheerleaders dancing on their squads for the first time.

Dancers Quinton Peron and Napoleon Jinnies have been preparing for the NFL season since they made the in March.

"Still can't believe I'm one of the first males in history to be a pro NFL cheerleader!" Jinnies tweeted after being selected.

Other teams, like the Indianapolis Colts and the Baltimore Ravens, have, but Peron and Jinnies will be dancing alongside their female teammates and doing the same moves.

Peron and Jinnies' success inspired 25-year-old Jesse Hernandez to try out for the New Orleans Saints' .

He told CNN affiliate KATC that his mom sent him a link with their story.

"She told me it was my time to shine," . "The process has been great, everyone has been really nice to me and I can't wait to see where this goes."

Because this is what the NFL needs more of...

Thanks

I don't really care who cheers on the sidelines to be honest, but I do care about the anthem issue. For me it's about 2 things... Rich guys calling oppression, and interjecting politics into my downtime. Making 20 million a year then kneeling during the anthem of the nation that allowed you to earn that is just plain B.S. Let them put their money where their mouths are. Or better yet, let them go tell how bad they have it to some homeless vet and see where it leads.

My dollars for that escape from the real world for a few hours isn't unconditional either. Football is popular because of it's unsurpassed competition in sports. One of only sports I know that have equal emphasis on defense as well as offense. The hitting is quite enjoyable too. I played the sport for years and was even scouted. Got injured badly so that didn't pan out, but I knew the risks and didn't cry about it. Now I just watch it and yell "Oh Come On!" alot. It's fun to play and fun to watch, and real life is hard. It's nice to have that break. Bring the real world into it and I'll quickly find a different way to unwind, and I'll take my dollars with me, then those kneelers can wonder why they don't make that kind of money anymore.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

I completely forgot today was the Bengals' first game. I guess that can happen when you didn't bother watching them all last season.

Apparently it was a pretty good finish with a fumble recovery to cement a win.

So.... Who Dey?

Thanks

I forgot too. Too pissed at Nike I guess.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

Amazingly the Bengals managed to win a primetime game last night! That after losing their last 4.

I missed the 28-0 1st quarter and came in at Q2. Naturally once I came in they gave up half their lead, probably getting complacent. Still, they did pull off a W.

Personally I'm not going to start getting hopeful until they've got a record better than just something that would give them a wildcard post season spot and they get past round 1 of the post season. Too many 1 and done post seasons.

Thanks

Pretty good game today between the Bengals and the Falcons! Kept you on the edge until the last seconds.

Unfortunately Tyler Eifert is back out again and this time for the season with a nasty leg break. My brother thinks it could be a career ender because of the frequency he's been suffering injuries.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ent-leg-injury

Thanks

Here you go Brian, this one's for you!

Thanks

Wow! That was a game!

And it would have been a Bengals win if not for that stupid ass hold by Kirkpatrick at the end.

Gave the Steelers the extra yardage and first down they needed.

Thanks

I think the whole game would have been different if the Refs would have just allowed them to play football and only flag flagrant issues. The nit-pickie sort of calls are stupid. That being said, Why is Burfict still playing so dirty? The man has skills so I don't understand it. I think he may be mental. He's going to seriously hurt someone one day or at least hurt his team with his antics. I don't blame the Bengals so much for him, because most of the time he behaves. It's just that he can't seem to help himself every now and again. His team mates may have to "Educate" him one of these days.
    Brian Baldwin

Thanks

I didn't watch it yesterday but, apparently the Bengals somehow managed to lose to none other than the Browns.

Stephen A. Torches Bengals For Keeping Marvin Lewis

Could not agree more with Stephen A.

Marvin Lewis has been head coach of the Bengals for almost half of my life and produced absolutely nothing noteworthy.

Been saying for the last decade he should be shitcanned and been right every time.

Thanks

Aaaand not only is Tyler Eifert out with a possible career ending injury, Andy Dalton is out now too. Wonder if he'll even be back.

Guess you can pretty much count the Bengals out at this point for even any opportunity to lose in round 1 of the post season again.

Bengals QB Andy Dalton Out For Season With Thumb Injury

November 26, 2018

Andy Dalton is out for the rest of the season with an injured thumb on his passing hand, another significant blow to a Bengals team that has fallen apart in the past month.

Dalton reached for a fumbled ball and had someone land on his right hand during a 35-20 rout by the Cleveland Browns on Sunday, Cincinnati's fifth loss in its past six games.

Just like that, a season that started with so much promise has turned into a nosedive .

Cincinnati (5-6) is without its quarterback or much hope that things will get much better down the stretch. The Bengals put Dalton on injured reserve after he had more tests and medical opinions Monday about the best way to get the thumb healed.

Coach Marvin Lewis said Dalton's thumb is expected to be healed before the start of offseason workouts.

It's the same thumb that Dalton broke while making a tackle on an interception return against the Steelers in 2015. He missed the last three regular-season games and an 18-16 loss to the Steelers in a first-round playoff game at Paul Brown Stadium.

Jeff Driskel will start for the Bengals the rest of the way, getting his first chance to lead the team in his third NFL season. The Bengals claimed quarterback Tom Savage off waivers from the San Francisco 49ers as a backup on Monday.

"The more you get out there and the more you play well, the more confidence you are going to get in yourself and the people around you," Driskel said Monday.

Dalton completed 62 percent of his passes for 2,566 yards with 21 touchdowns, 11 interceptions and a passer rating of 89.6, the third-highest of his eight-year career.

Even with Dalton, the Bengals weren't doing much except losing.

After a 4-1 start that boosted them atop the AFC North, the Bengals have lost five of six and fallen to third place. It's their worst stretch since 2016, when they went 1-5-1 over the middle of the schedule and finished 6-9-1, ending their streak of five straight playoff appearances.

After Dalton got hurt on Sunday, Driskel came in and threw his first career touchdown pass and ran for another as the Browns went conservative with a big lead. Cleveland threw the ball only four times in the second half and played softer on defense. Driskel was 17 of 29 for 155 yards.

Coordinator Bill Lazor said Monday that Driskel has shown his ability to lead the offense in his limited opportunities.

"I think guys see it, and that's the important part," Lazor said. "You can't talk them into feeling good about somebody; they've got to earn it. And he's earned it every day in practice and in the preseason games."

With Driskel running the offense, the Bengals had five false-start penalties - each by a different player - and one more for an illegal shift in the fourth quarter. Driskel thinks that working with the starting offense in practice this week will fix the problems.

"The more time you are able to get in and out of the huddle with those guys, hear the cadence, say the cadence, it's just beneficial," he said. "I don't think it helps coming off the bench."

With five games left and Dalton hurt, the Bengals are facing a big challenge.

"They've got to do it," Lewis said. "They've got to dig out."

Thanks

I quit watching the Bengals again a couple weeks ago...

Reds, Bengals In Danger Of Losing Entire Generation Of Fans

December 15, 2018

I cried.

On the night of Jan. 9, 2016, I cried tears of joy in my father’s living room when A.J. McCarron connected with A.J. Green for a touchdown to take a 16-15 lead over the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC Wild Card game.

“It’s finally happening,” I thought.

As for what happened next in the game, it doesn’t need repeating.

That’s the closest I have ever been in my life to witnessing a playoff victory for one of my beloved Cincinnati major league teams.

I won’t even mention the 2012 Reds.

Having been born and raised in Cincinnati by parents who were also born and raised in Cincinnati, I grew to love and become a fan of the Reds and Bengals.

My dad has told me stories of the Big Red Machine, the legend of Pete Rose or the verbal on-field antics of Sam Wyche.

From what I’ve witnessed in my life, those were the glory years of Cincinnati professional sports.

I’m 25 years old. I was born on Cincinnati Reds Opening Day, which in 1993 was the managerial debut of Tony Perez. Perez lasted 44 games before Jim Bowden axed him.

Cincinnati sports fandom is in my blood. I learned the history of Cincinnati professional sports. Unfortunately, my generation is not witnessing history.

My generation was raised by sports fans who grew up with a winning culture. They raised us with hopes that these teams will return to winning ways and they will witness our faces light up when the Reds win their next World Series or the Bengals win a playoff game.

Instead, my generation was raised in a losing culture. And that concerns me for the future of the city and its sports teams.

As millennials are beginning to have children of their own, one begs the question: why will this generation feel the need to spend money on tickets for the losing culture in which we were subjected to as kids? Why would we subject the next generation to false hopes and dreams of winning, which we were raised to believe?

Many ‘early millennials’ may remember the 1994 or 1995 first-place Reds teams. Personally, I don’t. And many people in their mid-to-late 20’s don’t. So, for the sake of argument and debate, I’ll give you some stats since 2000.

Since 2000, the Reds have had a total of four winning seasons, two division championships, and three playoff appearances with no playoff series wins. In that same time frame, the Reds have lost at least 90 games seven times.

Since 2000, the Bengals have made an impressive seven playoff appearances with four division titles, but no playoff victories. In addition, the past few seasons under Marvin Lewis have felt stale. Same old, same old.

Combined, in the past 38 major league sports seasons in Cincinnati since 2000, the city claims only six division championships, 10 playoff appearances, zero playoff advancements, zero championships, and if the Bengals lose one more game, 24 losing seasons.

Every time I begin a season as fan with a glimmer of hope, those dreams of buying a championship pennant are dashed by midseason. Or even worse, in the first round of the playoffs.

That’s why millennials are drawn to FC Cincinnati. Not only is soccer one of the fastest growing sports in the world and in Cincinnati, but FC Cincinnati has been building a winning culture since day one. Whether it was the Cinderella run through the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup in 2017 or the impressive double-digit unbeaten streak in 2018, the front office and the team at Nippert Stadium has shown a commitment to winning; a culture that has shown potential towards carrying over to the jump to Major League Soccer.

The two front offices on the riverfront can’t claim that right now.

With declining attendance at both Great American Ball Park and Paul Brown Stadium, this city has made a statement, loud and clear. We’re sick of losing and if things don’t turn around, the two oldest professional sports franchises in Cincinnati will miss an entire generation of fans.

And what a shame that would be.

What If The Bengals Won Ad Nobody Watched? Team Ends Losing Streak, But Does Anybody Care?

December 16, 2018

'I have no control over that,' Marvin Lewis says

The upper deck at Paul Brown Stadium on Sunday was so sparsely populated it easily could have been mistaken for a preseason game. Aside from two sections where the state championship football teams from Wyoming and Beechwood High Schools were seated, you could easily hand count the number of fans who chose to spend a dreary afternoon watching the Bengals play their final home game of this gloomy season.

Well before the Bengals’ 30-16 victory over Oakland was secured, the few fans remaining were making their escape down the escalators. Those who came on Sunday and those who chose not to take advantage of several ticket promotions had seen enough.

“I appreciate the fans that were there today,” said Bengals defensive end Sam Hubbard. “I heard them loud and clear. Really appreciate those fans coming out.”

The Bengals (6-8) were not yet eliminated from playoff contention after snapping a five-game losing streak against the struggling Raiders. That happened a few hours later when the Steelers beat the Patriots, according to the NFL. An injury-marred and mistaken-laden season still has two weeks remaining, but the home portion of the schedule is done.

Sunday’s attendance of 44,568 was the second-lowest of the season. The total paid attendance of 406,028 is the lowest at Paul Brown Stadium since 2011. The Bengals have the lowest home attendance in the NFL aside from the Los Angeles Chargers, who play in a temporary stadium that only holds 27,000.

When asked about the paltry attendance, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said, “I have no control over that." In many respects, he does.

The Bengals have missed the playoffs for a third straight season. In Lewis’ 16 seasons at the helm, he has nary a playoff win. The decision about which coaches are back for 2019 will be made around New Year’s Eve. On Sunday, the fans demanded change in the only way they know how.

“Hopefully, we get more people to come,” said Hubbard. “But we’ve got to win games first.”

Such an aura of apathy existed at Paul Brown Stadium on Sunday that one had to be reminded that the Bengals won. It wasn’t pretty, but that can be excused considering the rash of injuries the team is facing, including Andy Dalton and A.J. Green, who are lost for the season.

Bengals quarterback Jeff Driskel had a rough afternoon, but running back Joe Mixon shined with 129 rushing yards and two TDs, leaving him just shy of 1,000 yards for the season.

“We’ve got to keep riding on Joe’s shoulders,” said Lewis. “Our football team needed a win. Our fans needed a win.”

In the first few minutes of Sunday’s game, the fans were treated to many of the same mistakes they’ve endured all season.

On the opening kickoff, Cody Core was flagged for illegal use of hands. On the Raiders’ third play from scrimmage, Geno Atkins was penalized for a neutral zone infraction. On the Bengals’ second offensive play, Alex Redmond had a false start. The Bengals had nine penalties for 85 yards.

“It’s a matter of keeping our hands in the right places,” Lewis said of the rash of special teams’ penalties.

Moments after he surpassed 1,000 yards receiving for the season, Tyler Boyd hauled in a 7-yard touchdown pass from Driskel to put the Bengals ahead. In the third quarter, Boyd was out with a right knee injury.

Mixon’s 1-yard TD run on fourth-and-goal was set up by his 47-yard scamper to make the score 14-0 in the second quarter.

The third Raiders’ turnover of the half led to a Randy Bullock field goal, and the Bengals led 17-0. Oakland would get within a touchdown on a couple occasions in the second half, but that was it.

Alex Erickson’s 77-yard kickoff return set up Mixon’s TD run to seal the victory with four minutes remaining.

If this season is an audition for Driskel, he might consider throwing out the tape from Sunday.

Making his third start since Dalton suffered a season-ending hand injury, Driskel went 14 of 33 for 130 yards. He failed to complete six of seven passes in one stretch in the third quarter and finished with one more yard passing than Mixon had on the ground. But in the end, Driskel was able to finish off his first career NFL victory as a starter.

“It’s been a while since we’ve had one,” Driskel said. “The NFL season is such a long deal, especially when you’re on a losing streak.”

Two games remain for the Bengals on the road at Cleveland and Pittsburgh. They need to win both to avoid a third straight losing season.

This is a new experience for Hubbard, who had two sacks and three tackles for loss in Sunday’s win. Hubbard lost five games in three seasons at Ohio State after a standout high school career at Moeller.

“I’ve never dealt with losing, all the way back to grade school,” Hubbard said. “I have a unique perspective. It’s about not pointing fingers at each other, coaches and players, and just doing everything we can to win games. When you hit a rough patch, you have to stay together.”

Thanks

It's official. Marvin Lewis was officially handed his pink slip. 10 years too late but, it finally happened.

Thanks

This Super Bowl is probably one of the worst all round ones I've ever watched.

The game was a complete snooze fest, the half time show sucked terribly, and the commercials were all crap except the Audi EV commercial.

With the commercials it was almost like everyone was so afraid of offending and triggering that they put out the most boring pablum chock full o' diversity that they could. They were all completely forgettable. And the WaPo boohoo, poor me journalists commercial was a complete laughing stock. Can't believe a "news" company circling the drain like WaPo would waste $5 mil to run that.

4 wasted hours of my life I can't get back...

Thread Information