Thread: Dashcam Vid: This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things, Like Roundabouts

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Dashcam Vid: This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things, Like Roundabouts

From my work van's dashcam system the company started installing.

I have no idea how to export the video. I put a FAT32 USB stick in and it refuses to recognize it and, pulling the video off of the SD card direct is all jumbled, so you'll have to settle for a recording of a recording made by crappy cameras.

This is a roundabout between Covington and Newport, KY headed eastbound.

It's hard to tell it's a roundabout but if you pay attention to the signs and pavement markings you can tell it is. You can see the van turn out in front of me into the opposite direction of the roundabout flow.

Think I'm going to reinstall my own dashcam back in the van after seeing how poor the video quality is.

Thanks

Default Re: Dashcam Vid: This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things, Like Roundabouts

I don't care what anyone says, roundabouts are a pain in the ass. I despise them.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Default Re: Dashcam Vid: This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things, Like Roundabouts

Quote Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
    I don't care what anyone says, roundabouts are a pain in the ass. I despise them.
    Really?

Every intersection they've put one in near me has been a big improvement.

Except when there's someone who doesn't know how to use them and stops in the middle of it, or doesn't signal an exit, or in this case turns opposite of the flow.

Then again there are a lot of idiots that don't know how to use them so I can somewhat understand your point if other people are why you don't like them.

They even put in a continuous flow intersection near me. That was interesting for the first couple months...

Thanks

It's mostly that people don't know how to use them and then now I am scrambling to avoid the idiot. The rules are too fluid for most people.

I am all for "bypasses". They have them in The Villages FL where my mom lives. As you approach the intersection, there is a road that goes around if you don't want to go through the circle. Some go over, some go under, some make the cross traffic stop...the point is the main road moves MUCH faster as there aren't a bunch of nitwits trying to get into an intersection.

I will leave you with one example that I loathe. It is a circle that has a stop sign at it for one part of the traffic(immediately to your left in the picture). It appears to be a mostly optional stop sign. Extremely busy at all hours, traffic merging and leaving every 50 feet. Totally blows because even though you may want to get over, good luck with that.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5763...7i13312!8i6656
    Last edited by Malsua; September 6th, 2018 at 14:02.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

It's mostly that people don't know how to use them and then now I am scrambling to avoid the idiot. The rules are too fluid for most people.

I am all for "bypasses". They have them in The Villages FL where my mom lives. As you approach the intersection, there is a road that goes around if you don't want to go through the circle. Some go over, some go under, some make the cross traffic stop...the point is the main road moves MUCH faster as there aren't a bunch of nitwits trying to get into an intersection.

I will leave you with one example that I loathe. It is a circle that has a stop sign at it for one part of the traffic(immediately to your left in the picture). It appears to be a mostly optional stop sign. Extremely busy at all hours, traffic merging and leaving every 50 feet. Totally blows because even though you may want to get over, good luck with that.

What traffic engineer thought that was a good idea?

There's a similar interchange, again in northern KY, that has something like that except you're getting off a major interstate (I-75) and right on to city grid streets.

Thanks

What traffic engineer thought that was a good idea?

There's a similar interchange, again in northern KY, that has something like that except you're getting off a major interstate (I-75) and right on to city grid streets.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0853...7i13312!8i6656

The traffic coming off that long downhill ramp doesn't have to stop while the short, steep banked ramp traffic that can't see behind them has to stop.

Thread Information