Aron Eisenberg, Played ‘Nog’ on ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’, Dies At 50

September 22, 2019

Aron Eisenberg, an actor whose most widely known role was “Nog” on the 1990s science-fiction adventure series “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,” died Saturday at age 50.

Eisenberg’s death was announced in a Facebook post by his wife, Malissa Longo.

“It is with extreme regret and sadness to announce that my love and best friend, Aron Eisenberg, passed away earlier today,” Longo wrote. “He was an intelligent, humble, funny, emphatic soul. He sought to live his life with integrity and truth.”

Longo reveals in the posts that the couple had been married since Dec. 28, 2018, the day they eloped.

“While our marriage, on paper, was a short one,” she writes, “our hearts had been married for far longer. I will be forever thankful for the time we had to love each other.”

The donor was a woman who’d read Eisenberg’s Facebook post about needing a kidney, according to StarTrek.com.

No cause of death is mentioned in the post, but Eisenberg had health struggles over the years.

In a 2015 article on the StarTrek.com website, Eisenberg discussed a second kidney transplant he was about to undergo.

He told the site that he was born with only one kidney and it was defective. He went on dialysis at age 14 and underwent his first transplant surgery at age 17.

But the new kidney failed in 2015, forcing him to resume dialysis until his second transplant in December of that year.

“I’m so blessed and fortunate,” he said of the news about finding a kidney donor that year. “It’s absolutely incredible.”

“Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” was one of several spinoff series derived from the original “Star Trek” series of the late 1960s.

“Deep Space Nine” aired from 1993 to 1999 and has been seen in reruns since then.

Eisenberg’s “Nog” character was a mischievous “Ferengi,” with a large head and distinctive ears. He appeared in more than 40 episodes of the series during its seven-season run, according to StarTrek.com.

On the same day Eisenberg died, the Hawaii Tribune-Herald reported that he was among the actors scheduled to appear later this month at HawaiiCon, an annual science fiction and fantasy event.
Time to pour out a root beer for Nog who has gone on to the Divine Treasury and get out your gold pressed latinum to get yourself some of his vacuum desiccated remains.