Thread: Latinos Rattled by Ohio Sheriff's Mission

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Latinos Rattled by Ohio Sheriff's Mission

The following is from NPR so, prepare yourself for the typical leftist spew…

Latinos Rattled by Ohio Sheriff's Mission
    Local authorities across the country complain that they bear the financial burden of illegal immigration, yet they lack the power to enforce immigration law. In Butler County, Ohio, Sheriff Richard Jones is on a mission to tackle the problem. And he's frightening the local Hispanic population. ()

Jones' hero is John Wayne; a near life-sized poster of the actor hangs next to his desk. With a similar swagger, Jones is on a mission to prod, cajole, even shame federal officials into action. In the parking area outside the county jail, two new signs proclaim "Illegal Aliens Here," with an arrow pointing inside.

"It's a big, bright yellow sign, and it's to let people know in our community that there are illegals here, and it is a problem, and we want some help," Jones says.

Jones says it costs his county thousands of dollars a month to jail lawbreakers who also happen to be illegal immigrants. He has billed the federal government for the incarceration costs -- $150,000 since last October -- though he doesn't expect to see any reimbursement checks.

Eye on Employers

More recently, the sheriff began targeting businesses. On six billboards across the county, Jones has plastered his own image, arms crossed over chest, reminding employers that it's illegal to hire undocumented workers. He says the signs are generating tips from the public. On his blog, Jones warns companies, "You know who you are, and we're coming."

"If you engage in an underground economy and you think that we don't know about it, we'll be visiting you," Jones says.

Jones won't reveal which businesses he's visited; a spokesman says they're considered "uncharged suspects." But in fact, Jones couldn't charge the companies if he wanted to -- at least not with hiring illegal workers. That's a federal responsibility. Critics say the sheriff is overstepping his bounds, just as they say he did a few weeks ago, when his officers detained 18 Hispanic workers at a construction site. (Typical Leftists: "We want you to enforce the laws, just not the laws we don't like.")

"If you're going to hold anybody, you've got to have the charges," says Greg Palmore with the regional office of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE.

He says Jones picked up the workers after someone reported a disturbance at the worksite. But exactly what happened was sketchy, and Jones had no actual charges to hold them on. He called ICE, but the agency declined to come for the men. For Jones, it was one more frustrating example of federal failure. For Palmore, the agency's course of action was clear.

"If two simultaneous calls came in -- one that was national security, and the other being an undocumented immigrant that poses no significant public safety threat -- you can surmise exactly where we'll put our resources," Palmore says. (So let me get this straight... At the exact same time that Sheriff Jones called Greg Palmore, Palmore also received another call regarding national security that required the immedate attention of ICE in Ohio and, therefore, chose to ignore Sheriff Jones' request for federal LEO backup?)

Rising Fear

It might seem as if Jones' campaign against illegal immigration isn't having much impact -- that is, until you head across town to an area locals call Little Mexico. Residents say the area has been revitalized by (illegal) immigrants from Mexico (Yippee!!!), but as I visit, the streets are mostly empty, and in a 20-minute period, four police cars go by.

"I've heard about what is happening with the new laws and, honestly, I'm scared because we don't have our papers," says Alejandra, a Hispanic woman pushing her toddler son down the street in a stroller.

She has just come from collecting clothes at a church and looks as if she can't get home fast enough. As she speaks, her eyes dart all around. Alejandra says she tries to stay off the streets as much as possible these days. Her husband has a job in a factory, but they're so worried that they, too, might be arrested by the sheriff that they just might give up on life in the United States.

"In two, three months, we might go back to Mexico and not come back again,"Alejandra says. "I even have a brother-in-law, his company has told him he has one more month and then there will be no more work for him. So we're going to have to go." (Well... HALLE-FUCKING-LUJAH!!! What do you know, it looks like enforcing the law does work and is a deterrant in and of itself!! )

A Community in Hiding

The police cars that cruise by Little Mexico aren't from Sheriff Jones' office but from the city of Hamilton, whose police force is trying to improve relations with the Hispanic community. But that effort seems undermined by Jones' campaign against illegal immigrants.

Lourdes de Leon, co-owner of Taqueria Mercado, says friendly police officers used to be regulars at her Mexican restaurant, in part to make the community more comfortable with them. But she recently asked them to stop coming. Their presence was scaring customers away.

Today, if a crime happened, de Leon is sure most Hispanics would be too scared to call the police. Even without officers around, she points to plenty of empty tables. Over the past month or so, business is down by more than one-third, she says.

De Leon is a U.S. citizen, but she understands her customers' fears.

"Me myself, you know, I'm afraid," de Leon says. She worries the sheriff might target her business "even if I'm doing nothing wrong."

(So, are they trying to say that lawbreakers should not be afraid of consequences for their actions and, be allowed to continue to break the laws?)

Frustrated by what he sees as federal inaction, Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones has launched a local campaign against illegal immigration in his swath of southern Ohio. A sign he erected outside the county jail shows his resolve.

Lourdes de Leon, owner of the Taqueria Mercado, a Butler County restaurant, says the sheriff's crackdown on illegal immigrants has many in the local Hispanic community frightened of the police.

Enlarge Billboards in Butler County proclaim Sheriff Jones' new focus on businesses that hire undocumented workers.

Thanks

Default Re: Latinos Rattled by Ohio Sheriff's Mission

Ohio Sheriff To Seize Illegal Aliens' Vehicles
    While federal immigration officials dispute claims that they ordered the release of 20 illegal aliens apprehended Tuesday in Belmont County, Sheriff Fred Thompson has a plan for dealing with similar situations in the future.

“What we’re going to do is start seizing their vehicles and send them on their merry way,” Thompson said of future contacts with suspected illegal aliens.

Greg Palmore, spokesman for the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency, said agents did not order the release of 20 allegedly illegal aliens detained by deputies in Belmont County.

Meanwhile, U.S. Rep. Bob Ney, R-Ohio, continues to support Thompson as well as the Chillicothe, Ohio, Police Department in what he described as “almost identical incidents.”

Several weeks ago, Chillicothe police apprehended four illegal immigrants in a hotel room, Ney said, but released them after immigration officials noted they had not violated any laws.

“I am 150 percent sure of the competence of Sheriff Fred Thompson and his deputies,” Ney said. “I have no doubts Fred Thompson and his deputies followed procedures. There is no reason to question them.”

Ney alleged Palmore’s comments are part of a Bush administration response to the Senate’s failure to act on its version of an immigration reform bill.

In Belmont County, a van containing the 20 illegal immigrants was stopped near milepost 5 of Interstate 470 eastbound for an unspecified traffic violation. According to Thompson, “there were bodies packed in everywhere. Everywhere you looked, there was a body.”

Palmore said Belmont County deputies reached an ICE duty agent in Columbus, who asked to speak with the suspected illegal aliens to ascertain their immigration status.

“The duty agent was told the sheriff’s department could not accommodate them,” Palmore said of the agent’s request.

“ At that point, they were set free. We never spoke with them. We never proceeded to the point of giving instructions to release them,” Palmore said of the suspected illegal immigrants. “We weren’t permitted to speak with them.”

In cases in which immigration officials determine individuals are illegal aliens through the telephone conversations, detainers are placed upon them. The illegal immigrants are then ordered held pending transfer to federal custody. The immigration agents, he said, further confirm their status and either release or continue to detain the individuals.

Thompson said the deputies involved in the incident told him there was no indication from the federal agents that they wanted to talk with the suspected illegal immigrants.

The agents, he said, were aware the deputies had cellular phones and noted the suspected illegal aliens needed to be interviewed, “but he (the duty agent) said you can’t detain them until they are interviewed. We couldn’t detain them.”

Thompson further claimed the dispatcher who contacted immigration officials several times early Tuesday was “treated rather rudely.”

Noting it is not uncommon for deputies to stop suspected illegal immigrants passing through Belmont County, Thompson said the federal agency is always contacted.

“We know what they’re going to say,” Thompson said.

Thanks

I like this man and his tactics. He really needs to step it up. Say start delivering the illegals to the ICE doorstep with full media coverage.
    Brian Baldwin

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out." - Tony Blair on America

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

-Father Denis O'Brien of the United States Marine Corp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Actually, this is two seperate Ohio sheriffs.

The one in the first article is from a county that is just northwest of where I am and, the other is in a county much further east that is near West Virginia.

Thread Information