Thread: Stolen Valor: Fake War Heros

Thanks

Default Stolen Valor: Fake War Heros

Use this thread to list people, by NAME and PICTURE if you have it, when they make claims of being "war heros".... I'm sick of these bastards who try to ride the coattails of those who are real heros.

Rick
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Fake War Heros....

"Murtha is not a war hero'...account by retired U.S. Army Major Bill Fry.
    BootMurtha.com ^ | 7/26/2006 | IPWGOP

Posted on 07/26/2006 10:39:27 AM MDT by IPWGOP

'Murtha is not a war hero'

Account of Bill Fry, Major, US Army (Retired)

BootMurtha.com has received the verified account of Bill Fry (retired U.S. Army Major) that details his first-hand knowledge of fellow veteran John Murtha.

[EXCERPTS:]

I had a tour at Headquarters, Fleet Marine Forces Pacific, in Hawaii in 1968 and 1969, and the stories were still bouncing around about this reserve major from Johnstown who went to Viet Nam and sent his daily information to the Johnstown Tribune-Democrat telling his fantastic was stories. They were labeled “Murtha Sends”. While in FMF Pac I was the Head Systems Officer in the Computer Automated Center. I had the opportunity to design and implement a system to control and track all awards coming through FMF Pac. Having heard of this war hero from Johnstown, I took it upon myself to look in the data base and, lo and behold! There were no personal awards for Murtha. I never thought any more about it until I saw that he is now being touted as a war hero with 2 Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star with Combat “V.” This, of course, made me curious....

...John Murtha is not a war hero. I am certain if and when the truth comes out one will find that his awards were given long after he left Viet Nam. Murtha is, in my opinion, a phony and has used his veteran’s status to climb to the top of several committees where he can and does influence pork for Johnstown.

>>>read entire article
    http://www.bootmurtha.com/MurthaUpda...htm#notwarhero
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Fake captain receives real prison time
    The News & Observer ^ | 9/25/2006 | Andrea Weigl

RALEIGH - Not long ago, Lisa Jane Phillips wore an Air Force captain's uniform while striding the campus of Meredith College. As a result, she will soon don another uniform: the khaki pants and shirt that women wear in federal prisons.

(Found her picture too)

Phillips, 35, of Apex, was sentenced Monday to a year and a day in prison for impersonating a military officer for almost three years. It was such a convincing charade, complete with claims that she suffered life-threatening injuries in combat, that she took the private women's college for $42,000 in tuition. She since has repaid the college.

Starting in August 2002, Phillips went to classes wearing flight suits bearing a captain's insignia, an American flag and an embroidered name tag. Other times, she wore a uniform replete with medals: a Purple Heart, a Bronze Star, even a medal given to World War II veterans. She told of flying fighters in Afghanistan and Iraq and of being wounded in action.

New details revealing how the lie began, and the extent to which she fooled Meredith officials, came out in court documents mistakenly filed publicly last week. A magistrate judge has since ordered the records sealed.

What prosecutors described as Phillips' "calculated fraud" began with a simple lie to a friend, according to Phillips' interview with a Raleigh psychologist, a report of which was included in the papers. The friend expressed admiration for Phillips' claimed military service, a degree of respect that Phillips had never experienced, the psychologist wrote.

On Monday, Phillips' attorneys told U.S. District Judge Terrence W. Boyle that Phillips as a child suffered sexual, physical and emotional abuse. She was left to live on her own at 16.

As an adult, they said, she struggled with addictions to painkillers and sleeping pills.

"I don't think she intended to dishonor or disrespect anyone in the military," said one of Phillips' attorneys, William "Woody" Webb Jr. of Raleigh. "I think she just wanted people to like and respect her."

Phillips "admitted frantic attempts to maintain the lie," buying medals and uniforms off the Internet, according to the psychological report.

Phillips was absent from school for periods in 2003 and 2004, claiming to be deployed abroad. She used a university laptop computer to send e-mail to faculty, students and staff detailing life in a war zone, according to a pre-sentencing investigation. She wrote graphic descriptions of combat and sent photos of wounded soldiers and children. She described her "war-induced anguish" and asked for prayers.

Phillips also fabricated e-mail from her commanding officer saying that she had suffered life-threatening injuries, the court records say. In follow-up messages, Phillips wrote that she had been flown home on Air Force One so President Bush could present her with medals.

While she was gone, faculty hung a Blue Star service flag, a banner displayed by military families to show a loved one is serving in the armed forces, in the college president's office.

Phillips' facade was so convincing that Meredith faculty recommended she ask the school for free tuition to reward her military service. Phillips was too embarrassed to tell the truth, the psychological report said.
    Phillips received $41,178 in free tuition and, according to the pre-sentencing report, a $1,000 scholarship that came with an award: the Martha Nell Tucker Award for "attitude toward life that demonstrated the virtues of courage and self-giving."

But the college's police chief, who had served in the military, alerted authorities when he became suspicious of Phillips. Her scheme ended in January 2005 when FBI agents confronted Phillips.

A Meredith spokeswoman declined to describe what changes have been made to ensure the college will not be defrauded again.

"We are grateful to the federal authorities for their work to prosecute this case," said Kristi Eaves-McLennan, a Meredith spokeswoman.

Phillips' attorneys had argued for a lighter sentence because she has repaid the school, completed drug treatment and been sober for 18 months, lives on her own and works full time.

Before sentencing, Phillips told the judge: "I'd like to apologize to Meredith ... for what I have done."

However, prosecutors thought Phillips needed to serve prison time for her "elaborate ruse."

Assistant U.S. Attorney David Hayden, a military veteran, read excerpts from e-mail that veterans sent prosecutors. According to Hayden, one veteran wrote, "She sought to make herself a hero and example. I say fine -- let's make an example of her so that others will be less likely to follow suit."

Staff writer Andrea Weigl can be reached at 829-4848 or aweigl@newsobserver.com.
    Libertatem Prius!

Banned
    Thanks

Ever notice that "there were no cooks in Vietnam"?

Thanks

Alvarez sentenced to probation (MOH poser, CA)
    San Gabriel Valley Tribune ^ | July 21, 2008 | Will Bigham

LOS ANGELES - Local water director Xavier Alvarez was sentenced to three years' probation and fined $5,000 in federal court Monday morning for falsely claiming he was awarded the Medal of Honor.

MP3 Audio: Alvarez Medal of Honor claim

Before he was sentenced, Alvarez told Judge R. Gary Klausner that he was "very remorseful" for his false claims of military valor.

"I'd like to apologize to everyone in this whole nation," said Alvarez, who represents south Pomona
    Xavier Alvarez. (Staff photo)
    on the Three Valleys Municipal Water District board.

As part of Alvarez's terms of probation, the court recommended he perform one year of community service - one day per week - at the veterans hospital in Loma Linda.

The judge threw out a term of probation that would have required Alvarez to serve five months of home detention.

The home detention may have resulted in Alvarez losing his seat on the water board. He would have automatically lost his seat with a felony conviction, but the medal charge is a misdemeanor.

His seat could have been declared vacated if he was unable to attend board meetings for three months.

The federal charge was brought against Alvarez when taped comments surfaced of a statement he made at a July 2007 meeting of the Walnut Valley Water District.

After Alvarez was introduced as a guest at the meeting, he told the assembled crowd that he was a retired Marine and a Medal of Honor winner. Alvarez never served in the military.

He agreed to plead guilty to the charge in April after a motion to dismiss the charge on constitutional grounds failed.

Alvarez, through his attorney, argued that the Stolen Valor Act, under which he was charged, violated the First Amendment because it criminalizes false speech.

Klausner told Alvarez he would be issued a harsher sentence if he was convicted of the same charge in the future.

Alvarez has 10 days to appeal his conviction on constitutional grounds. Alvarez declined to comment after the hearing.

One veteran who attended the hearing said he was upset afterward that Alvarez was not sentenced to jail for a length of time sufficient for his water board seat to be vacated.

"That's not justice," said Fred Stillions of La Verne.

Three Valleys director Bob Bowcock, who has been the most outspoken board member against Alvarez, said Monday he wished the sentence had been more strict.

"It was inappropriate what he did, and I think it should be more strict than what it is," said Bowcock, who represents La Verne and Claremont.

Bowcock also said he doubted whether Alvarez was truly remorseful for his lies of military valor.

"If he really and truly shows remorse, then he should step down," Bowcock said. "To me, that would truly show that he is remorseful."

A Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office investigation into allegations that Alvarez illegally signed up his ex-wife for district-paid health benefits is ongoing, said David Demerjian, head of the office's Public Integrity Division.

Charges brought against Alvarez in connection with the alleged theft of health benefits could potentially be a felony, meaning that a conviction would automatically disqualify Alvarez from holding public office.

Former Pomona Councilman Marco Robles announced last month that he was a member of a committee formed to recall Alvarez.

Robles did not return a call seeking comment Monday.

Bowcock said he did not believe the group had filed the necessary paperwork to begin collecting signatures, of which it needs 3,000 from Alvarez's district to place a recall measure on a future ballot, Bowcock said.
    Libertatem Prius!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, I guess if you're gonna lie, shoot for the stars! Medal of Honor... LOL!

Thanks

Authorities probe man accused of posing as a vet
    The Associated Press

12/04/2014 7:39 AM

12/04/2014 7:40 AM

LANGHORNE, Pa.

Authorities are looking into whether a man accused of falsely posing as a U.S. Army ranger broke the law while out shopping in suburban Philadelphia.

The Middletown Police Department and military investigators are looking into whether the man illegally profited by wearing military fatigues while shopping Friday at the Oxford Valley Mall in Bucks County, said Middletown Police Chief Joseph Bartorilla.

The man was questioned by Ryan Berk, an Army veteran who served in Afghanistan. Berk recorded the incident and the video has garnered more than 2 million views between two YouTube accounts. Berk was shopping with his girlfriend and her son when Berk noticed a few things off with the man's uniform.

"A patch was misplaced and his boots were untucked," said Berk, 26. "That's when I initially had a suspicion."

Berk, who is studying criminal justice at Temple University, is heard in the video questioning the man about different features of his uniform before the man walks off.

U.S. Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick notified the U.S. Attorney's Office of the video, saying it could "contain evidence of a federal crime."

Under the Stolen Valor Act of 2013, it is illegal to "fraudulently hold oneself out" to be a recipient of military decorations with the intent to obtain "tangible benefits."

It is not illegal to falsely claim to be in the military, but Bartorilla says the man could have broken the law if he posed with the purpose of profiting through a discount or other means. State law says it's also illegal to purchase any military decoration earned in service.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...#storylink=cpy
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Congressman: U.S. attorney should investigate fake Ranger

This video, reportedly filmed on Black Friday, shows a veteran confronting an alleged military faker. Via Guardians of Valor

A congressman has suggested the U.S. Attorney's Office look into whether a man pretending to be an Army Ranger at a mall should face federal charges.

Rep. Michael Fitzpatrick, R-Pa., wrote that "a video purportedly recorded last week could contain evidence of a federal crime," in a letter to the U.S. Attorney for Eastern District of Pennsylvania Zane David Memeger.

That video, which has gone viral with more than 2.8 million hits, shows Army veteran Ryan Berk interrogating Sean Yetman, a Black Friday shopper claiming to be an Army Ranger. Berk calls out a number of problems with Yetman's combat uniform and Yetman's wrong answers to basic questions. There is no evidence Yetman ever served in the military, according to Army Human Resources Command.

The Stolen Valor Act of 2013 makes it a federal crime to receive any tangible benefits for falsely representing oneself as recipient of honors or decorations from the military.

While Yetman held shopping bags in the video, it was unclear whether he received any military discounts. Berk said he warned the manager of one store of Yetman's apparent deception before confronting him.

Fitzpatrick's office declined to elaborate on the letter, and said deciding whether to investigate the case is the prosecutor's prerogative.

Department of Justice policy does not allow Memeger's office to confirm or deny existence of any investigations, according to spokeswoman Patricia Hartman. She said the office has not prosecuted any cases under the 2013 law.

The office did prosecute a case in 2010 under a broader 2005 law that was struck down by the Supreme Court in 2012 on free speech grounds.

In that case, former Marine James Anthony Alleva pleaded guilty to altering his military discharge certificate and illegally wearing the Silver Star, Bronze Star and Purple Heart medals as well as Parachute Jump Wings and a Scuba badge. He was sentenced to six months probation.
    Libertatem Prius!

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Stolen Valor: Fake War Heros

Ohhh boy, I watched that video. Sgt. Fatbody is in for a world of shit. Pretty bad when you have a Congressman calling for an investigation against you.

I totally forgot we had this thread. I could have posted several pretty funny examples. I may have to dig them up and post them anyway.

Thanks

Please do!

I saw that video because my granddaughter brought it to me to show me. lol
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

Of all people... to be clear, he DID serve in the military, but said he served in the Special Forces. He didn't.

VA secretary Robert McDonald lied about serving in special forces

By Victor Morton - The Washington Times - Monday, February 23, 2015
    Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert McDonald falsely claimed to a homeless veteran earlier this year that he had served in the special forces, an untruth to which the secretary admitted Monday evening.
    In a videotaped comment first noted and exposed by The Huffington Post, Mr. McDonald embellished his record to a homeless veteran in Los Angeles who said he had been a member of the special forces before his current hard times.
    “Special forces? What years? I was in special forces!” Mr. McDonald says in an exchange that CBS News aired on Jan. 30 as part of a segment about VA programs to house homeless veterans.
    Mr. McDonald did have a distinguished military record, serving for five years in one of the military’s most-famous units, the 82nd Airborne Division, and completing Ranger training and thus earning a Ranger tab.
    But “special forces” is a term of the art and the highly trained and extremely selective units to which it applies — the Green Berets, Army Rangers, Delta Force and Navy SEALs — guard it jealously. It does not include troops from the 82nd Airborne.
    Mr. McDonald acknowledged the falsehood flatly and without equivocation Monday night to the Huffington Post, though he did say he was speaking “spontaneously” with no intent to guild the lily on his service record.

“I have no excuse,” he told the online news outlet when asked for comment. “I was not in special forces.”
    He told the Post that “wanted to clear up the confusion I probably created — I did create” in the exchange. Claiming service in the special forces, he said, “is not right. I was not in special forces. What I said was wrong.”
    Mr. McDonald, who oversees the department responsible for caring for retired special forces team members, said he has many friends in that community “and I have great respect for” them. “As I thought about this later I knew this [claim] was wrong.”
    Retired Army Col. Gary Bloomberg, when contacted by the Huffington Post, called it a “boneheaded” act.
    Col. Bloomberg, a former senior special forces commander, had not seen the tape before the Post contacted him for comment.
    But when he first watched the tape, Col. Bloomberg said, “I thought, ‘What a boneheaded statement — is this what we want from our senior government officials?’”
    He did add though that Mr. McDonald’s offense did not seem as malicious as what some military men and even some civilians do, such as wear unearned medals or make public claims of special forces and other service.
    The White House said in a statement Monday evening that it accepted Mr. McDonald’s explanation.
    “Secretary McDonald has apologized for the misstatement and noted that he never intended to misrepresent his military service,” the White House said. “We take him at his word and expect that this will not impact the important work he’s doing to promote the health and well-being of our nation’s veterans.”
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information