Thread: Check your American Heritage

Thanks

Default Check your American Heritage

http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/yankeetest.html

Ok, go here, and answer the questions. When you're done, let it compute your score and post your answer here.

Here's mine:

71% Dixie. Your neck must be a little pink!

LOL
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Literary Wanderer
    Thanks

Default Re: Check your American Heritage

I am conflicted in my reaction to my score as I seem to get along better with rednecks, bikers and general southern folk. Yankees can be stuffy, penny-pinching, uptight and rather offputting; I know from experience. (standard phrase used to describe some Yankees... "He can squeeze a nickel so hard you'll see the Indian riding the buffalo.")

22% Dixie. You are a Yankee Doodle Dandy.
    Last edited by MinutemanCO; August 18th, 2006 at 17:24.

Creepy Ass Cracka & Site Owner Ryan Ruck's Avatar
    Thanks

53% Dixie. Barely in Dixie

A little surprised as I thought I would have a higher percentage of Dixie. After all, I love Southern cooking, get along best with salt of the earth folk and, half my heritage hails from South of the Mason-Dixon!

Thanks

Only 30% here.

Thanks

36% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee.

...and proud to be so, I'll have ya'all know.

Much of how I talk qualifies as typical for the whole USA according to that test. That must be part of why I get along so well with young and old, rich and poor. lol Thanks Rick, that was something different to do tonight.

Thanks

For me: "26% Dixie. You are a Yankee Doodle Dandy."

For some funny reason, just about every answer I picked mentioned the "Great Lakes" or even "Western Great Lake States" ... since I was born & raise in Wisconsin and have lived in Wisconsin, Illinois (very short duration), and Minnesota -- I'm guessing they've nailed down my choice of words pretty well.

-Bryk

Thanks

20%......but thats no shocker.

What I got a kick out of , is that lots of people are able to tell what area of the country a person is from by their accent/dialect ...and yet once when I had to re-dial a phone number and asked to speak to the lady in customer service that I was just speaking to, I was asked her name.
    I replied I didn't know her name but she was a nice black woman with a funny laugh. The woman on the other end asked me how i knew she was black, and I remember thinking UH-OHHH, and I replied I knew from her accent/dialect.
    WHOA! It was like I had just asked to speak to the "HNIC"...(you can guess what that stands for) instead of "the nice black lady with the funny laugh". This lady got all upset at me and said it was a racist thing to say. I told her to back off and stop being such a politically correct dumb ass. My opinion...In the vast majority of times, I CAN tell if its a black person on the other end of the phone when I speak to them. Anyone that doesn't like that?. Too damn bad. hahaha

A female friend of mine from VERY rural southern Illinois says thats a trademark of people in the northeast..."that they all act like they have their panties in a wad". I guess her opinion wasn't helped by the very first day she was in a WalMart in the northeast, the 2 people in front of her got into a fistfight. hahaha
    ...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Thanks

LOL@ Joey... I've done EXACTLY the same thing with phone called. Hahahahahahah I feel your "pain" lol.

It's not difficult to tell where someone is from, by they way the y speak. Also a good portion of the things I answered came back with "Great Lakes". Fact is I was born and mostly raised in Detroit Michigan. I moved to Kentucky at the ripe old age of 7 and remained there until late August 1968, at which time I moved back to the West Side of Detroit (saw my first Tigers Baseball game the first week I was back 'home').

Now, having lived in 6 states (one of them DC) and visited all the states EXCEPT Nevada, North and South Dakota, Oregon and Utah, and most recently my 44th country, I think that I've seen and heard it all. At least from a "dialect point of view".
    Honestly, there are probably better ways to "guess a southerner" than their dialet, but that good ole' southern drawl is the main thing that gets ya.
    Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread Information