Thread: Common sense- Kooky?

Thanks

Default Common sense- Kooky?

This was inspired by Rabbi Kook. My Dad, rest his soul, was fond and extremely respectful of the Jewish people and the Jewish faith. A hell of a guy, very- long suffering, and a sure shot- already in heaven. I've witnessed minor miracles, but never heard a voice (audible) from the Eternal City, except his. Just two words. My son.

Rabbi Kook has a line here with God. It convolutes me why Jews cannot see and believe in Jesus, but that is God's business. Noone come to Me, unless the Father calls. And noone comes to the Father except through Me. I guess it's a Father-son thing.

Nevertheless, Rabbi Kook hits upon 3 items of the Torah, 2 of perhaps 3, to quote proverbs, are my favorites, with paralells in NT.

Remember always the time of death- and you will never sin. OT

True religionn consists in relief for orphans and widows in distress. St. James

Mary chose the better part- to sit at Jesus feet and listen to His word. (Luke 10)

Kook's comments without further ado, and proverbs etc....

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Common sense- Kooky?

Rabbi Kook on Psalm 4: Restraining Evil Impulses
    by Chanan Morrison
    Aug 27, '06 / 3 Elul 5766

Often, we feel ourselves drawn by destructive or selfish impulses. How can we overcome these urges?

When King David called upon his enemies to repent, he advised them: "Tremble and do not sin; speak in your hearts upon your bed, and be still forever." (Psalms 4:5)

According to 3rd century scholar Rabbi Shimon ben Lakish - himself a well-known penitent - this verse outlines a four-step program how to master the temptations of the yeitzer hara (evil inclination).

First, "tremble and do not sin." Awaken your innate positive nature, your yeitzer hatov, and use its power to counter any bad impulses.

If this does not work, then "speak in your hearts" - engage in Torah study.

If that is not enough, then say the Shema prayer, recited "on your bed" (before going to sleep).

And if that does not vanquish the negative impulse, then "be still forever" - remind yourself of the day of death. (Berachot 5a)

These are four useful tools for overcoming evil urges and desires. But if the ultimate weapon in battling the yeitzer hara is to reflect on human mortality and the transient nature of life in this world, then why not use this method right from the start? Why wait before bringing out our most effective weapon?

http://www.arutzsheva.net/article.php3?id=6498

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread Information