MATTERS OF LIFE AND DEATH
    Supremes to reconsider
    landmark abortion case

Plaintiff in Doe v. Bolton case says
    ACLU attorney pushed her to have abortion

Posted: September 29, 2006
    1:25 p.m. Eastern

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

The U.S. Supreme Court is scheduled to reconsider next week its landmark 1973 Doe vs. Bolton abortion decision, in response to a lawsuit brought by the case's original plaintiff, who claims she was pressured by ACLU attorneys to opt for abortion and that the case was based on fraud.

Like Norma McCorvey, the original "Jane Roe" of Roe v. Wade, Sandra Cano was "Mary Doe" of 1973's other historic abortion decision. Together, "Roe" and "Doe" eliminated all state laws prohibiting abortion and legalized abortion. Cano's case in particular – because of the "health exception" for the mother it created – opened the door to abortion on demand, for virtually any reason, at any stage of pregnancy up to the moment of birth.

Repeated polls show that only about 1 in 4 Americans agree with unfettered abortion on demand throughout all nine months of pregnancy.

Both Cano and McCorvey are attempting to overturn the two abortion cases that bear their names, each claiming their case was based on fraud.

Cano, who at the time of the case was a pregnant, 22-year-old wife of an abusive husband and all three of her children in foster care, was just looking for a way to get her children back and leave her husband, she says. At no time was she interested in abortion, she adds, but insists she was pressured toward abortion by an aggressive ACLU attorney.

With her case scheduled to be considered by the high court next Wednesday, Cano says the justices have ignored vast advances in scientific and medical knowledge in the last three decades, and have "frozen abortion law based on obsolete 1973 assumptions and prevented the normal regulation of the practice of medicine."

According to a report in Insight magazine, Cano also will argue to the Supreme Court that the original "Doe" decision overturning U.S. abortion laws was based on fraud and lies coordinated by Margie Pitts Hames, Cano's ACLU attorney.

In her affidavit to the U.S. District Court in New Jersey, reports Insight, Cano claims the case originated when she approached a legal aid office in Atlanta to help her divorce her abusive husband and regain custody of her three children. However, says the report, Cano says she was taken advantage of by an "aggressive self-serving attorney, Margie Pitts Hames, the legal-aid attorney."

Cano, pregnant at the time, also says she never actually signed an affidavit saying she didn't want or couldn't care for another child. The affidavit even warned Cano might commit suicide.

"I am 99 percent certain that I did not sign this affidavit," she said, according to the Insight report. "I do not believe it is my signature on the affidavit, and Margie either forged my signature or slipped this document in with other papers while I was signing divorce papers. I never told Margie that I wanted an abortion. The facts stated in the affidavit in Doe v. Bolton are not true."

Saying her mother and Hames tried to force her to have an abortion, Cano says she fled to Oklahoma and returned only when she was sure she was assured that she wouldn't have to have the abortion. She was told not to speak in court, Cano adds.

On June 23, 2005, Cano testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee for the Constitution, Civil Rights and Property Rights.

Here is her scathing testimony, in which she accused "wicked attorneys" of using her to advance a radical agenda:
    … I am Sandra Cano, the former "Doe" of Doe v. Bolton. Doe v. Bolton is the companion case to Roe v. Wade. Using my name and life, Doe v. Bolton falsely created the health exception that led to abortion on demand and partial birth abortion. How it got there is still pretty much a mystery to me. I only sought legal assistance to get a divorce from my husband and to get my children from foster care.

I was very vulnerable: poor and pregnant with my fourth child, but abortion never crossed my mind. Although it apparently was utmost in the mind of the attorney from whom I sought help. At one point during the legal proceedings, it was necessary for me to flee to Oklahoma to avoid the pressure being applied to have the abortion scheduled for me by this same attorney. Please understand even though I have lived what many would consider an unstable life and overcome many devastating circumstances, at no time did I ever have an abortion. I did not seek an abortion nor do I believe in abortion. Yet my name and life is now forever linked with the slaughter of 40-50 million babies.

I have tried to understand how it all happened. How did my divorce and child custody case become the basis by which bloody murder is done on infants thriving in the wombs of their mothers? How can cunning, wicked lawyers use an uneducated, defenseless pregnant woman to twist the American court system in such a fraudulent way? Doe has been a nightmare. Over the last 32 years, I have become a prisoner of the case. It took me until 1988 to get my records unsealed in order for me to try and find the answer to those questions and to join in the movement to stop abortion in America. When pro abortion advocates found out about my efforts; my car was vandalized on one occasion and at another time, someone shot at me while I was on my front porch holding my grandbaby.

I am angry. I feel like my name, life, and identity have been stolen and put on this case without my knowledge and against my wishes. How dare they use my name and my life this way!

One of the Justices of the Supreme Court said during oral argument in my case "What does it matter if she is real or not." Well I am real and it does matter. I was in court under a false name and lies. I was never cross-examined in court. Doe v. Bolton is based on a lie and deceit. It needs to be retried or overturned. Doe v. Bolton is against my wishes. Abortion is wrong. I love children. I would never harm a child and yet because of this case I feel like I bear the guilt of over 46 million innocent children being killed. The Supreme Court is also guilty.
    The bottom line is I want abortion stopped in my name. I want the case which was supposedly to benefit me, be either overturned or retried. If it is retried, at least I will have an opportunity to speak for myself in court, something that never happened before. My lawyers at The Justice Foundation have collected affidavits from over one thousand women hurt by abortion. We have filed those affidavits and a Rule 60 Motion to reverse Doe which is now on its way to the Supreme Court through the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta. I am also giving you a copy of my affidavit in the case. Millions of babies have been killed. Millions of women have been hurt horribly. It is time to get my name and life out of this case and its time to stop the killing.
    In January, the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that only the Supreme Court could reverse its own decision, sending the case to the highest court in the land.
    I'm taking America back. Step 1: I'm taking my kids out of the public re-education system. They will no longer have liberal bias and lies like this from bullying teachers when I expect them to be taught reading, writing, and arithmetic:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: Supremes to reconsider landmark abortion case

Good gravy train. Anybody remember the commercial?
    No sense being pessimistic after all these years. Perhaps abortion will be illegal again by next Saturday, Oct. 7. That would be a great defeat for the trans asian axis, a blessing for the living and generations yet to be born.

I'm curious about the certiorari grant- I would guess the vote was 5-4. Let's hope no more stench from the bench. I would guess alito and roberts wish to whittle away, which is better than nothing. History, God and even I look upon this barbaric practice as worse than aztec child-sacrifice. Drilling holes in heads? Back to realistic pessimism- I'll bet some of the commie justices are banking on civil war over abortion, thus chose doe instead of roe to open restrictions statewide. It would be nice to see a 9-0 score in this not so trivial matter. I hate wimpy decisions. Such as....

In certain states, for certain trimesters, the practice of child-sacrifice, which once prompted God to command certain nations to be entirely annahilated is ...legal tender-tolerated, approved- or outlawed.

It would be something wonderful if luke-warm decisions were banned. It would be a nicer world with a lot of more pipsqueaks around. Wahh!

It's time for alito and roberts to grow wings and export the most heinious soviet error.

http://www.cbctrust.com/history_law_religion.php#29

Prior to the 1917 Russian Revolution, abortion was forbidden under all circumstances, in line with the teachings of the Orthodox Church.

In 1920, a decree from the Commissariats of Health and Justice permitted free abortions at all Soviet hospitals, and prohibited anyone but a doctor from performing them. This law reflected the belief in female equality held by the revolutionaries, as illustrated by....

Lenin's statement that no woman should be forced to bear a child against her will.

http://www.cbctrust.com/history_law_religion.php#29

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

There doesn't seem to be a cert vote on this at all. Only a conference set for 6 Oct.

Jul 31 2006Petition for a writ of certiorari filed. (Response due September 1, 2006)
    Jul 31 2006Appendix of Sandra Cano, fka Mary Doe filed.
    Aug 15 2006Waiver of right of respondents Thurbert E. Baker, Attorney General of Georgia, et al. to respond filed.
    Aug 18 2006Waiver of right of respondent Paul L. Howard, Jr., to respond filed.
    Aug 25 2006Motion for leave to file amicus brief filed by J. Budziszewski.
    Aug 25 2006Motion for leave to file amici brief filed by Suzanne Besser, et al. (Distributed)
    Aug 28 2006Waiver of right of respondent Chief Richard Pennington to respond filed.
    Aug 30 2006Motion for leave to file amici brief filed by Texas Black Americans for Life and L.E.A.R.N, et al.
    Sep 1 2006Motion for leave to file amici brief filed by Nuturing Network, et al.
    Sep 13

DISTRIBUTED for Conference of October 6, 2006.

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/docket/06-162.htm

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

Thanks

No comment from the whitewahed tombs full of dead bones.
    Court won't hear case seeking to reverse landmark abortion ruling
    WASHINGTON (CNS) -- The Supreme Court Oct. 10 declined to hear the appeal of Sandra Cano, the Georgia woman who hoped the court would reverse her 1973 victory in one of two decisions that legalized abortion. Cano was the "Mary Doe" in the court's Doe v. Bolton, the companion case to the better known Roe v. Wade decision. Roe threw out most state restrictions on abortion, but the Doe decision permitted abortions through all nine months of pregnancy. Without comment the court rejected Cano's appeal of the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruling in January that said federal district and appeals courts lacked authority to overturn the decision in Doe or in Roe. In petitioning the court, Cano's attorneys argued that although medical science and technology have advanced, by refusing to reconsider the validity of the Roe and Doe cases, the Supreme Court has "frozen abortion law based on obsolete 1973 assumptions and prevented the normal regulation of the practice of medicine."
    On Nov. 8, they plan to reconsider this.

canto XXV Dante

Shema Israel

Thanks

"Abortion" is considered simply "termination of pregnancy". The terms have changed even of the word pregnancy. After implantation is when one is now considered to be pregnant. Thus, if you stop the pregnancy right away, you can believe that you haven't taken a life. With part of the baby remaining w/in the womb, his or her existence is still considered a pregnancy; and consequently the life of the preborn human being, partially born, is still not granted the right to life. If abortion wasn't legal, some women would still end their pregnancies; so the rhetoric goes that it should be available, safe, and legal.

Available. Yes, this is a business, and a very lucrative one at that. It's a sales job that they do on people--for a service, you give the money, and abortionists become wealthy. I've been to Tiller's home in Kansas. How many homes have tennis courts? This is not about compassion for anybody. It is at your psychological expense and at the expense of your child's life that you pay for an abortionists luxuries.

Safe. Yes, you can have the proceedure done, and chances are the woman isn't going to die because of it. There is at least one person who does die as a result of an abortion, the little one w/o a legal right to life. The hidden one. The one we call subhuman terms such as "tissue" and "mass of cells" and "fetus". Yet women are dying all the time--even from the little morning after pill. There are death certificates for women from all 50 states with the cause of death being the result in some way from a safe, legal abortion. These are public records, and I have paid for one myself in Detroit, Michigan.

Legal. If abortion wasn't legal, there wouldn't be so many abortions. If it isn't a legal option, people wouldn't opt for it. Look at that depiction above that Sami posted. This is legal, sanctioned murder right here in the USA. Usually the reason for this late proceedure is because the child has mental retardation or other medical issues. If you are the able to keep and love and care for the child with special needs, there is so much that you learn and so much growth in personal humanity occurs for the whole family. These babies can be put up for adoption and there are people who will adopt them, if for some reason you just can't deal with it.

You may be the means by which that helpless human being has come to be, even if by rape, but you did not create that human life, God did.

Selfish young women bearing children, selfish young men raising and providing for children results in better, mature individuals. We learn nothing and society sinks to horrific lows when we do not take on our responsibilities and continue on with life-- with children, demanding and needy, as a part of the family unit. You may never get to accomplish all the things that you'd like to do, and you may not ever become wealthy, and you may not go places physically or in status all because of the sacrifices it takes to give to and care for a child. But there is a higher standard to life. Do what is right. Accept the pregnancy. Love your baby.

Feel free to contact me by pm if you need to talk. I will write to you as your sister who cares about you and understands fully the situation. I have been pressured to abort, I have seriously considered do it, I have cried, I have carried twins, one with down's syndrome, and I know how confusing it can all get. I know the embarrassment in being pregnant w/o a husband, and I know the feeling of despair at the thought of having more of a burden than I could handle. I know the anxiety of thinking I had to do this, and that there was no other way. And I know the appeal for getting rid of a big problem without anybody finding out. The bottom line is that despite what anybody says, and no matter how you try to rationalize it, you know that it is a baby. It is YOUR baby. And you really can choose to be happy about that. Contemplate the blessing coming into your life, rather than the negatives. Love your baby.
    I'm taking America back. Step 1: I'm taking my kids out of the public re-education system. They will no longer have liberal bias and lies like this from bullying teachers when I expect them to be taught reading, writing, and arithmetic:

Thread Information