Thanks

Default All about "The Clearance"

I would urge you each and everyone to read the following links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classif..._United_States
    http://www.clearancejobs.com/security_clearance_faq.pdf
    http://www.dkosopedia.com/wiki/Classified_information
    http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/gener...a/security.htm
    http://www.taonline.com/securityclearances/

Basically the above links tell you pretty much everything you need to know about what clearance levels there are. There are ONLY TS, S, C levels of classification. Some things get caveats, which are usually in the TS/SCI realm of things. That's all I'll say about that.

A "Q" clearance with the DOE is nothing more than a "TS" clearance with the DOD. Exactly the same, same process for granting, etc. They just call it a different name.

Here's a tiny tidbit I'm going to you as well....

Yankee White Clearance

Contrary to popular lore, the Yankee White clearance given to personnel who work directly with the President is not a classification. Individuals having Yankee White clearances undergo extensive background investigation. Yankee White cleared personnel are granted access to any information for which they have a need-to-know, regardless of which organization classified it or at what level. [1]

Also:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/sy...r-football.htm

Football is a callsign. Used via WHCA radio systems usually.

The clearance above is what I used to hold, that is "Yankee White".

Also....

It is also important to note that classifications and clearances do not necessarily transfer between various U.S. government agencies. For example, an individual cleared for Department of Defense Top Secret must undergo another investigation before being granted a Department of Energy Q clearance. However, if one holds a Top Secret clearance at one agency, it is often possible (and practicable) to "pass" one's clearance to another agency. For example, officials visiting at the White House from other government agencies technically must "pass" their clearances to the EOP (executive office of the President). This is because most security clearances are licenses only to handle sensitive information inside the agency with whom they work. The discussion of classified information outside one's agency requires the verification to handle such classified materials — this process of verification is "passing clearances."
    Put all that together and you might be able to get a glimmer of why I get so riled some times about "facts and fiction".

Libertatem Prius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Default Re: All about "The Clearance"

One out of every thirty Americans has some sort of security clearance. It has been estimated that one out of every thousand of these can be expected to compromise the secrets they are entrusted with.
    What type of clearance do former presidents have?

canto XXV Dante

from purgatory, the lustful... "open your breast to the truth which follows and know that as soon as the articulations in the brain are perfected in the embryo, the first Mover turns to it, happy...."
    Shema Israel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Presidents do not get clearances.

Not the way the rest of us do.

They are... well, the Chief Executive and they by default have access to anything they ask for.

So, if you see a movie saying something about "hiding things" from the president, that might be true to a degree, but, if a President asks for something, he gets it. Period. No agency can "hide" anything if the Boss calls for it and wants to see it.

The UFO conspiracy theorists are BIG on saying "Not even the President is in the loop" -- and then on the other hand will say something like "So and so was cleared at the TS level so he MUST have known".

It's all so... VAGUE.

Basically, in answer to your question... well, let me say it this way. People would ask me if I had a clearance in those days, and I would say, "My clearance is higher than the President of the United States".... and they would laugh, but it was TRUE.

You see?
    Libertatem Prius!

Thanks

What type of clearance do former presidents have? samizdat wrote
    They are... well, the Chief Executive and they by default have access to anything they ask for. Rick Donaldson wrote
    So Rick you are telling us that fromer Presidents still hold that level of clearance as if they were the Chief Executive today. So somebody like Jimmy Carter still holds that level of clearance?

Thanks

So Rick you are telling us that fromer Presidents still hold that level of clearance as if they were the Chief Executive today. So somebody like Jimmy Carter still holds that level of clearance?
    No, I didn't say that.

I said the "Chief Executive". Carter, Ford, Clinton are all FORMER Chieft Executives. They might be privy to information provided them by the current administration in some manner, for some reason as consultants or whatever.

Remember once you're a President, you're still "in service to the country"... That's why Carter does what he does. Then again, they all get PAID by other groups to do speeches and so on.

Sometimes, like recently when Bush and Clinton got together to do some things together, then the current administration might have given them data to help the Katrina victims, but nothing of national security importance.

I have my doubts that former PRESUS would get any information from a National Security point of view. So... take my information for what it's worth. "CURRENT CHIEF EXECUTIVE" is the boss, not the former guys.

That help?>
    Libertatem Prius!

Thread Information